Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 18 days ago

I am working on a Flight 2000 project, and I have sound but no speech. I have changed the electrolytic capacitors, and switch 17 is in the on position. Test point 1 fluctuates from .06-.11 volts, T.P. is 5.19 volts, and T.P. 3 fluctuates from -2 to -10 volts.
Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 18 days ago

Is the sound board original to the game? Look at the back side and verify it has the long jumper wire for speech.

#3 18 days ago

this trace to mix speech in with the SB300 sounds is present on later boards. If the board is original to F2K it should have the trace, but worth checking for trace or the wire.

The lamp interrupt (aka speech busy) signal that comes in MPU j4 should also change state when the speech. I think it normally sits low when no speech happens and goes high when speech is playing.

#4 18 days ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Is the sound board original to the game? Look at the back side and verify it has the long jumper wire for speech.

The SB-300 sound board has the jumper on the back of the board.

#5 18 days ago

Does "no speech" indicate in-game? IE., did you try solenoid-test, which should include some speech call-outs at the end.

Alas, the TSI- S14001A speech chip can fail, and is very hard to source these days. If you are lucky, it may be just a bad-solder on a connector, or one of the easily found drive chips.

#6 18 days ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Does "no speech" indicate in-game? IE., did you try solenoid-test, which should include some speech call-outs at the end.
Alas, the TSI- S14001A speech chip can fail, and is very hard to source these days. If you are lucky, it may be just a bad-solder on a connector, or one of the easily found drive chips.

There is no speech in test or game play. As far as bad solder goes I have reflowed the connector, and looked the board over.

#7 18 days ago

Before you go nuts trying to get the speech chip, burn a new eprom for the speech board. I had 3-4 boards I bought as dead that it turned out everything was fine except for the 2716 eprom on them. You can double up the 2716 image to burn onto a much more commonly available 2732.

#8 18 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Before you go nuts trying to get the speech chip, burn a new eprom for the speech board. I had 3-4 boards I bought as dead that it turned out everything was fine except for the 2716 eprom on them. You can double up the 2716 image to burn onto a much more commonly available 2732.

I will get a eprom burned, to see if that works.

Thanks to all that responded.

#9 14 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The lamp interrupt (aka speech busy) signal that comes in MPU j4 should also change state when the speech. I think it normally sits low when no speech happens and goes high when speech is playing.

I probed j4 pin 11 on the mpu, and it stays low in game play, and solenoid test.

Quoted from slochar:

I got a eprom for the speech board, and still have no speech.

#10 14 days ago
Quoted from squad8:

I probed j4 pin 11 on the mpu, and it stays low in game play, and solenoid test.

I got a eprom for the speech board, and still have no speech.

Do you get silence when speech should be playing? Like when you begin the game there should be (speech) or silence and the lamp int should go high during that time.

I don't think there is any speech in solenoid test mode but I am not 100% sure on that.

#11 14 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Do you get silence when speech should be playing? Like when you begin the game there should be (speech) or silence and the lamp int should go high during that time.
I don't think there is any speech in solenoid test mode but I am not 100% sure on that.

I will have check better for silence when a game is started, but the lamp int stayed low at that time. I will report back when I check more thoroughly.
Thanks

#12 14 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

There is speech during the test mode.

#13 12 days ago

I ran solenoid test and there is no silence, but it seems like the sounds are duplicated through test. It is hard to say for sure, but it does appear to have silence during game start when there should be speech. I also double checked the lamp int, and it is always low in test, and game start.
One thing that I forget to mention is that I put new ribbon cables on the sound board.

#14 12 days ago
Quoted from squad8:

I ran solenoid test and there is no silence, but it seems like the sounds are duplicated through test. It is hard to say for sure, but it does appear to have silence during game start when there should be speech. I also double checked the lamp int, and it is always low in test, and game start.
One thing that I forget to mention is that I put new ribbon cables on the sound board.

If lamp int never goes high the speech processor is probably not working because its bad or some other kind of problem like at U6, U5, U4, U3, U2, or input connectors. You can probably work through some of these circuits like U5 and U4 Q pins should be pulsing when speech should be playing. U6 P9 should be low when speech is playing, U6 P10 should be high or pulsing when speech is playing. U5 P2 should be pulsing when speech is playing.

I would try a new speech processor chip but saddly they are pretty hard to come by. Another working speech card to compare to and borrow the working processor would help.

#15 12 days ago

Going off of memory from a few years back when I had a F2K...one of the fuses (I think the one for the GI) also controls the speech or sound or both...I can’t remember for sure. Just a thought in case you haven’t checked the fuses???

1 week later
#16 4 days ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Going off of memory from a few years back when I had a F2K...one of the fuses (I think the one for the GI) also controls the speech or sound or both...I can’t remember for sure. Just a thought in case you haven’t checked the fuses???

The fuses are all good.

Quoted from barakandl:

If lamp int never goes high the speech processor is probably not working because its bad or some other kind of problem like at U6, U5, U4, U3, U2, or input connectors. You can probably work through some of these circuits like U5 and U4 Q pins should be pulsing when speech should be playing. U6 P9 should be low when speech is playing, U6 P10 should be high or pulsing when speech is playing. U5 P2 should be pulsing when speech is playing.
I would try a new speech processor chip but saddly they are pretty hard to come by. Another working speech card to compare to and borrow the working processor would help.

The results of your recommendation are:
U6 pin 9 high and low light always on and always pulsing.
U6 pin 10 always low.
U5 pin 2 always high.
U5 puns 2, 5, 7, 10, 12, and 15 always high.
U4 pin 2 high, pins 5, 7, 10, 12, and 15 always low.

#17 4 days ago

make sure lamp strobe 1 is reaching speech board U6 Pin 8. THere is a 20k series resistor on speech board. P8 should be pulsing i think at or around 120hz. If U6 P8 and P9 both pulse but P10 is always low U6 may be bad.

I am not 100% sure what to expect from the speech CPU and i don't have one on hand right now to check, but i'd expect the /BUSY (u6 p9) to only be low when the processor is playing speech and sit high when not doing speech, but maybe it pulses and then stays low when speech plays.

If the Q pins on U5 and U4 never pulse then I'd think the clock pin is never pulsing which is also done by U6 with lamp strobe 2 and PD2 / PD3 input.

Double check the input connectors, Lamp strobes and PA and PD inputs, otherwise U6 might be a good shot at being the problem. You can get the datasheet and work through the truth table for U6.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside