(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swillie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Just picked up a mostly working F2K. Has a weird issue to sort out before I shop it. Mid game if I lock a ball it will sometime release the ball! I putti in switch mode and the ball lock switch and trough switches appear to be working.
I have another head with boards. I may just try swapping things. Need to get bothe game done before I play with this issue though.

We call that 'faulty ball'...happens on a friends F2K. I figure it is a switch matrix issue causing the top left switch entering the ball walker to register a hit, which sends the locked ball down. There are flat round caps on some switches that hold energy to extend the 'closed' time when the switch is hit so the cpu can register the hit. A leaky cap on that top switch could theoretically trigger a hit. I replaced it, didn't fix the problem. Have tried to duplicate the anomaly to figure out the switch matrix error but no luck. One of these days I need to test and/or replace diodes on every switch and replace every switch cap too, and who knows if that will fix the gremlin.

#18 7 years ago

Yes, unfortunately it really does make it unplayable, especially a 2 player game as the game does not know you have 2 balls in play and when 1 falls out it counts bonus and switches players with 1 ball still in play. Very frustrated owner at this point.

I will swear when it happens we have usually hit drop target 3 or 4. The drop target switches are 'closed' when down...i think a certain pattern of closed switches combined with a failed switch diode is causing a switch matrix problem with one corner of the 'box' in the switch matrix being that top ball walker entrance switch that gets triggered falsely. Diagnosing this problem is new to me and really just a hunch. If I had the game at my place I could tinker with it easier. I suppose it could just be a board/connector issue, but i would figure that to cause a switch to NOT trigger.

Maybe someone out there has solved this issue???

#19 7 years ago

Can I test all the switch diodes with them in place, or do I need to remove one leg first? Power on or off?

#23 7 years ago

I love F2K, just something about it. Mine was a dirty garage find that needed a good home and alot of tinkering. Has it's bumps and bruises, I don't do crazy restorations but just get them cleaned up and working as close to 100% as I can. I do wish I had a better backglass, mine is faded and flaking but it could be much worse. Here is a gameplay video...worst multiball in history but I got there so a good game in that regard...

1 week later
#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

This is mine!
» YouTube video
CPR playfeild and backglass, cab redone, etc...

It's beautifull!! And a much better multiball than my video, nice job.

#33 7 years ago

FYI a new condition CPR backglass for Flight 2000 is on Ebay right now. Would love to own it but mine is a player pin not worthy of the expense and I can live with my faded cracked one.

2 months later
#39 7 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

the only time they all 3 drop for me is when ball is bobbling around in there off thumper bumper & playfield post across from them. ... then usually comeback down just to stop the spinnier I just got flying

Same here, and I hate when you rip the spinner and the ball falls back and stops it.

2 weeks later
#42 7 years ago

I am in need of the right flipper 'in'lane plastic. Please let me know if you have one you can part with or know of one for sale, it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

3 months later
#50 6 years ago

IMG_0042 (resized).JPGIMG_0042 (resized).JPG

IMG_0043 (resized).JPGIMG_0043 (resized).JPG

IMG_0044 (resized).JPGIMG_0044 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#54 6 years ago

That is a great score! Especially for a three ball game, good job.

#56 6 years ago

Well I have mine set progressive, so the spinner and bonus carry over to next ball. I like how the scoring rewards you the longer you play, especially after multiball if you can hit the standup reliably(I cant, lol) and earn the extraball. Mine is set to 5 ball, that's my current hi score...

IMG_0212 (resized).JPGIMG_0212 (resized).JPG

5 months later
#60 6 years ago

Just thought i'd share my pinball repair success today. My good friends F2K top right ball kicker in the ball corale seized up awhile back. Finally found time to get to his place and investigate...coil sleeve was melted badly, iron plunger could not move. Replaced the coil, powered game on, no solenoids working. Fuse under playfield burnt...calls for 1 1/4 amp slow blo. 2 1/2 amp was there , I replaced with a 1 amp slow blo, close as I had without going over. Power on, 2nd kicker locked on. That explains the grill cheese coil sleeve sandwich. Q17 driver transistor on the solenoid driver board tested bad. Not having a TIP102 handy, I swapped Q19 ( coin lockout coil driver) to Q17, he doesn't use coins anyway. She is back up and running!! We played a few matches, what a fun game and my friend was so geeked it was working again. Apparent board problems always scare me for a minute, than you think it through and work the problem. Love this game!!

4 weeks later
#62 6 years ago

No bonus carryover that I know of. Stand up target and clearing right 3 bank both increase the bonus multiplier and there is a setting to carryover the multiplier between balls. Same for right spinner.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Rebuilt one of these as my first real pin. Was fantastic. Bottom pop bumper now locks on at start. Transistor must have blown on the driver board. Tested the transistor and it tests fine with a multimeter. Ive disconnected the coil for now. Any other ideas?
Lower pop bumper locks on on power up. Game all fine if disconnected.

If coil locks as soon as you power on its likely that driver transistor.

#71 6 years ago

Played one game tonight, had the best single multiball ever on this game for me. So much fun.

IMG_1915 (resized).JPGIMG_1915 (resized).JPG

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

Nicely done! My best is 2.7 billion.

Holy crap, I am selling my games and never playing again.

1 month later
#80 6 years ago

The drops are confusing. There is always one lit (arrow blinking) starting with 5. Hitting any non lit target causes it to stay dropped. Hitting a lit target or hitting either inlane causes lit target to drop (lets say 3) and next target to left (2) is lit...if any lower number target is already knocked down (in this case 2 or 1) than the bank will reset and drop the targets to the right of and including the last one hit (in this case 5,4 & 3) leaving 2 & 1 up with 2 lit. This way it can keep track of when you have hit drops 5-1 in order.

In 2-4 player game, the lit target carries over to your next ball and resets the bank, dropping the targets to the right of lit target so you can continue trying to clear the drops counting down to 1 before locking the 3rd ball to start multiball.

Whew, i'm tired

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. Thank you!! Now when I have two balls locked, spell blast off, and let’s say at that point I’m on 3, and it’s blinking, wil my countdown start there or does the bank reset and start at 5?

Starts where it's at...so 3 in that case.

4 months later
#105 5 years ago

Tricky adjustment on that first switch wire...you want it vertical enough that it stays 'triggered' despite the balls rolling back a bit when one is kicked into plunger lane(ball rolls forward again, retriggering switch so game thinks you plunged and went sdtm without scoring any points, and gives you back another ball). However wire too straight up and a ball coming in behind flippers at a left to right angle can slip in front of the first switch. There is a modification recently pointed out where a screw or post is added at the outhole entrance on the right. This forces the ball to come in outside that first switch wire so you can set it more vertical thus increasing wire travel when ball rolls over it and it will stay triggered. Not sure this made sense...here is a topic with picture of screw at outhole...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-trough-on-flight-2000#post-4344900

#110 5 years ago

I find myself just trying to keep multiball alive and target the right spinner and getting the balls to the top LAST lanes. Once blastoff is spelled than go for the left spinner to lock balls. Also after multiball the center standup lights up the special, and alternates on off when slings are hit. It can be set to award extra ball, or 100,000. I have mine on extra ball, I figure I can beat that 100,000 with a good extra ball everytime but it is a crap shoot. A good multiball can set you up for another one quickly.

1 month later
#117 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Does anyone have any tips on making the 3 bank sweepable? It doesn’t seem possible on my game.
It looks like others have had this problem, but never reported back.
I wonder if it’s aftermarket drops that are the issue(I’m not sure if mine are or aren’t), or alignment, or maybe even pitch of the game causing the ball to careen off the top target.
Any help would be appreciated

I too cannot sweep the right drops. I have not really made any effort to realize a solution. I wonder if changing to a looser or tighter rubber ring behind the drops might make them sweepable...

3 months later
#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I just picked up a flight 2000 and have parts on the way to get it going again. It looks like there has been previous work done soldering the flipper coils and also the trough switches that looks a little questionable. Does anyone happen to have some good pictures on how the flipper coils are wired and also the trough switches? Once I get the machine setup I want to clean up that wiring and go from there.
Thanks!

Here are a few pics...
Trough switches
Left flipper
Right flipper

Hope this helps, shout if you need any other pics and I will do what I can.

IMG_5062 (resized).JPGIMG_5062 (resized).JPGIMG_5065 (resized).JPGIMG_5065 (resized).JPGIMG_5068 (resized).JPGIMG_5068 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#218 5 years ago

Ball jumps over the right flipper for me more than the left. I assume it is the physics of the game layout. It likes to punk you once in awhile, part of it's charm. I play 5 ball on this one, still it kicks my ass more than not.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’ve never seen the ball jump the flipper. Do you have the flippers set to the pins, or parallel to the inlane?

Mine are set to the pins.

2 months later
#280 5 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Thanks. I'll go that direction if I have to. I have some lexan ready. Any chance you could trace yours and send me the tracing?
Is the problem the break on the right side? The wires look like they stick out at the ends. Did the plastic guides not deliver the ball smoothly to the flippers?

The tip of that plastic takes alot of direct hits and was prone to breaking, the added metal guide is to protect the plastic. I like cottonm4's idea to make a double plastic rail with lexan alot.

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

And then the 5 bank was done. Not as bad as I expected. That molex connector is your friend and then some on this one.
I'm still seeing strange target drop issues related to the relays on the 5 bank. Not sure what is going on yet but it's been like that since it arrived.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The 5 bank can be rather confusing. It remembers what targets you have down at end of ball and will reset the whole bank but then drop those. Also when trying to clear 5-4-3-2-1 after locking 2 balls and clearing 'blastoff', if you hit for example target '3' it will reset if '2' is down to make it available.

2 months later
#341 4 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

by hand and with an airbrush.

That is looking really good, keep us updated as you finish it, amazing skill to be able to do that.

1 week later
#367 4 years ago

I agree, that purple really 'pops'!! That is amazing to me, I hope that goes into a machine instead of on the wall.

#387 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

What color is this 10,000 BONUS supposed to be? It is above all the other bonuses which are clearly blue but it looks like a dirty purple or something. The photo below actually makes it look a lot more colorful than it is in real life. Is mine discolored? What color do other people have. I'm thinking a colored LED could breathe some life into it.[quoted image]

Mine looks just like yours as pictured.

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I had some more time to work on the machine this afternoon. There was some weird behavior going on. It sounded a little similar to problems others have posted about further up the thread but different too. I thought I would pass along my story in case it helps someone else.
The behavior I was seeing was that when I would get my first ball into the ball stepper area the game would say stage one was go an then kick out a ball. A few seconds later it would repeat that message and kick out another ball. It would then step the first ball through the launch stages and I'd suddenly have all three balls in play even though I was not in multiball. If any of those balls drained I would more often than not instantly get a shoot again and a ball would be kicked out. Sometimes during that extended pseudo-multiball madness I would get blastoff and the countdown completed even though there were zero balls on the stepper. It would play all the sounds and go through the launch sequence and start an a multiball when it had not been earned. It was completely bizarre. I figured switches were to blame.
I went I to switch test mode and started to track down all the problematic switches. Two of the drop targets, 4 and 5 needed to be adjusted as they were always closed but I don't think that had much to do with the problem (other than making multiball easier.)
Testing the three switches in the trough was a bit tricky but I did determine that the first one was not tripping correctly. this is the service bulletin issue written about much earlier up thread. I bent the wire a bit to make better contact with the balls and suddenly the game was working fine.
If the problem comes back I will persue the addition of a post as described in the service bulletin (though I haven't seen an actual copy of it.)
It certainly is weird how the trough switches are what causes problems with the ball walker bit of course everything is connected through the game's logic and if things aren't as expected then weirdness ensues.

I call that faultyball, lol. Once in awhile my game does one step of the ball walker, and you end up eventually with 2 balls in play and the pressure is on to re-lock one before a ball falls out and goes to next ball in play or worse, game over if on the last ball.

I often suspected or think i thought it happened when hitting drops 4 or 5...interesting. I did gave to adjust my first trough switch when i first got the game.

1 week later
#439 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

As I suggested earlier. Check the caps. My f2k also has random phantom firing of the top left sling shot. It's not a matrix issue. Something to do with feedback in wiring. It a pop bumper is firing randomly it could be the switch adjusted too close and picking up vibration.

I figured a matrix issue was causing my issues...you have me rethinking this. Mine does not go to next ball, it occasionally advances the ball walker one step. Maybe the roll over switch wire at the entrance to the walker is adjusted too close and vibration from an upper sling or pop bumper can trigger it...game thinks a ball was locked and steps them down like it should. Will have to put it in switch test and see if i can duplicate it...happens maybe once in ten games so might not be easy to replicate

8 months later
#749 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

And it looks like this installed:[quoted image]

That is a nice looking fix. If you find replacement non broken guides I think I would keep that in place. At least the missing art shows thru from the playfield below.

8 months later
#1284 3 years ago

On the flipper alignment I have played a friends which is aligned with inland guides and mine which are drooped. Drooped is easier to hit the walker and right spinner for sure, though I do find it more difficult to hit the middle standup target. Overall I prefer drooped for this game.

5 months later
#1571 2 years ago

Do these ground mods have the effect of quieting excess game noise? My game plays fine but has a noisy humm while on. It’s not horrible but all my other pins are basically silent while on and compared to that it’s a bit noisy.

6 months later
#1722 2 years ago

I have fixed a long hated problem with my F2K, what I call faultiball. Occasionally the ball walker would randomly advance a locked ball/balls which would result in two balls in play and once one dropped out it would advance to next ball or player while another ball was still in play. Drove me crazy. Anyway i dropped the top rollover switch at the entrance to the ball walker to inspect. The heavier metal blade separating the leaf switches was bent down almost touching the blade the rollover moves. Also the wires for the resistor and capacitor on the switch were crossed over each other as to almost be touching as well. I moved those wires apart and reshaped the switch leafs apart from each other to what seemed appropriate. Now after thorough testing the walker mech is behaving perfectly. Finally!!

3 months later
#1800 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Did it walk down to the first position in the walker or was it still at the top? The way the software works because there's only the entry switch, is that it has 'virtual' switches for the other 2 positions. If it didn't walk down, it missed the entry switch. If it did walk down and still didn't end, the virtual register is messed up.
I know when I rewrote f2k the routines require the entry switch to NOT be held down when entering. There should be enough room in front of switch for it to pop up while the ball is resting on the first switch.
Any time the virtual switch registers get screwed up it just won't work right.

Agree 100%. Had multi ball errors like this for years on mine and a friends F2K. I recently took apart and cleaned/adjusted the entrance switch for the ball walker and finally the problems on both games have gone away.

#1806 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Played a couple of games of Flight 2000 last night and got a new high score. The multi-ball and ball locker seemed to work properly for now. I was able to blast off on ball #2 and lock a couple of balls into the ball walker. I earned two extra balls by hitting that special target a few times between the drops.
Maybe this summer I'll attempt some playfield touch ups.
[quoted image]

That’s a great score! Glad you’re game is behaving, so fun especially when it is working properly.

1 week later
#1815 1 year ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

OK I did check it and yes it is blown!. I have some replacement fuses now and I will try to revive the system tonight.
In the event it blows the fuse again, what do I check for? I assume shorted out or frozen solenoids would blow the fuse, right?
I guess I can put a meter on all the solenoids individually before I turn on the power. Or just physically push the piston in and out to check for a locked up solenoid.

Had blown solenoid fuse on a friends F2K. A pop bumper solenoid was toasty. Replaced it and after the board startup sequence the pop bumper immediately locked on. Shut it off quickly. It was a failed driver transistor on the driver board. Quick fix I swapped the coin door lockout driver transistor with the bad one and has worked for years now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 125.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swillie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome?tu=swillie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.