(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from wmanningiv:

I found a video on youtube where a guy was diagnosing a similar issue using an alligator clip attached on one end to the braided ground wire and would tap the other end against the top of each transistor on the solenoid driver board to test that each solenoid was working. When I do that, each of the solenoids fires properly and drops reset properly, but when I run the solenoid self test or trigger them myself on the playfield the drops still don't reset and the left side slings still don't fire. Not sure what that means.

Where are you at with F2K these days?

3 weeks later
#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

If I am not getting 5v at the test points on the sol driver board, where should I be looking first? Any help appreciated.

First thing to do is measure TP1 on rectifier/power supply board. If you have between 4.8V and 5.4V there then your're good. If not, check fuse with a meter. You may have a problem with your connectors and the connection from the rectifier to the SDU is breached.

If you have any burnt connectors at the rectifier board, replace them. Try to use Trifurcon connectors on the heavy wires. Actually you should replace all the connector pins at the rectifier board eventually to make the game reliable.

Make sure the connectors are fully seated on the rec board. Check ground (important) between the rect ground and SDU J3 pin 10, should have continuity. Make sure the ground braid from the cabinet is connected to the ground screw at the bottom of the backbox. Remove SDU J3 connector and re-seat it a few times. J3 should also have a jumper wire ( brown/white) between pins 25 and 13. If that's missing you need to replace it.

I'm looking at the 5V section of the SDU schematic and it's confusing to me. I know TP1 and 3 should be 5V but I'm not sure which one is the regulated 5V. I'm leaning towards TP1 being the regulated 5V. So if there's 5V at the YP3 and not 1, I would say the regulator (LM-323) or some of the 5V regulator components are bad, C24 and/or C25.

For all other TP values, go to pinwiki.com Bally/Stern section 3.21. The Baly AS-2518-18 rectifier value are the same for Stern TA-100.

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Ok, I am getting power on the rectifier board but it does not make it through the solenoid driver board.
Btw, the lockdown bar still looks great!

I'm regretting selling you that lock down bar LOL. Do you have the manual for F2K with the schematics inside? Do your feature lamps light up at all, even when first powering up? What is the game doing when you power on? Do your connectors look healthy, this includes the header pins? Do you have another game with the same SDU board that you can swap for testing? Bally and Sterns are interchangeable. Check your ground as I suggested. See if there's any voltage at SDU J3 pins 13 thru 17 and also 25 on the connector side, not the header. You may need to insert a small pin or finish nail into the connector to make contact to your meter leads. Get a replacement 5V regulator at least. LM 323 or equivalent. Any Voltages at the MPU test points? Refer to Pinwiki sect 3.21

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

You told me when you sold it to me that you would probably regret it. Now I feel bad. Sorry man.

Don't be sorry, I'm glad you're enjoying it and that it's getting the proper use. Yeah, keep us in the loop. Especially what happens at start up. You need 12V and 5V at the MPU before it will boot. The first flicker (not flash) of the MPU is the 5V circuit doing it's thing. 5V runs the logic circuit of the MPU. So right now you may be getting GI lamps and a faint glow at the lower portion of the displays? If you do re-pin the rect connectors, only use the Trifucon on the heavy wires. I replaced all the pins on J3 once with all Trifurcon and the connector was very hard to push on without bending the rect pcb.

#358 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Hey everyone. I'm in the club! I have a F2K that has been in my family for almost 30 years now. I think we got it around 1990. It was already a decade old by then. My parents had bought it to go in their new house game room along with Meteor. We eventually tired of Meteor but kept F2K. My parents are starting to downsize so I bought the machine off them and it is now in my home. I will be doing a bunch of work on it.
FLIPPERS
I'm putting in a flipper kit as the left flipper is weak from a botched repair someone did years ago. I'm going with a new coil as well as the crappy repair job led to the coil cracking.
SLING
I'm replacing the right lower sling coil (which works fine but is cracked.
LIGHTING
There were about 30 lights non-functional, both GI and control. Some were burned out but on many the holder is just going bad and will need to be replaced with some that aren't almost 40 years old. I'm going to experiment with some colored and white frosted LED lights for GI. It seems like the driver board is fine so I will likely go with one of the add-on boards so I can put some colored LEDs in the control lighting.
DROP TARGETS
The countdown drop targets are dirty as hell and it might be worth just putting all new clean ones in. A few don't stay up real well but I may try the trick of putting a little felt square on the lift bar to get them up higher so they catch properly. The lift bar itself looks like it snapped clean off at some point and someone reattached it with liberal and creative use of zip ties. (See photos) Not sure what to make of that. Apparently it has held up for decades like that. Seems like JB Weld might be a better solution.
BACKGLASS
The backglass is badly flaked. About 25 years ago I noticed it was happening and covered the entire back side with clear adhesive sheets. It has completely stopped any further degradation but it still looks bad. I'll be looking at a CPR backglass.
WIRING
There's some weirdness to the wiring. See photos. On the lower connector, clearly both outside wires burned out at some point. But, they appear to no longer be used as they are now empty. There is also something wired to the board with speaker wire. I'm not sure what someone did but the game is fully functional so it worked.
PLAYFIELD.
it doesn't look too bad. Some inserts are cupped. There is wear. Spots with mylar look great. I'm not really interested in trying to clear coat the whole thing for now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats on the F2K addition, I hope your folks gave you a break on the price LOL?

The first thing I would do is re-pin the connectors at the rectifier board TA-100. I'm not sure how much you know about pinball so I will try to explain what each part is called so don't think I'm trying to be smart, I just want to help as much as I can from my experience with F2K, also my first pin.

So the white plastic part that holds the connector pins are known as housings. For most 70's and 80's games they used Molex brand pins and housings. So J3 connector at the rect board is a 20 position molex housing with .156 in spacing. J1 is 8 position and so on. The header pins on the board itself are also .156 in spacing. The smaller headers and connectors such as the MPU and lamp driver are .100 in spacing. This is how you will identify which ones to buy.

The header pins on your rect board look crusty so I def replace those if you plan to keep that board for a while. Personally I would swap it out for a repro board from NVRAM.weebly. He makes the best replacement.

The bridge that was soldered to the front of yours (speaker wire) runs the displays and sends 185V to the SDU driver board so be careful not to touch any of the wires running from it when the game is powered up. You can leave it the way it is if the score displays are working but you should attach a heat sink to it. You can buy one that can bolt right onto it. Just use heatsink compound between the metal surfaces. https://www.sager.com/624-45abt3-424382.html?utm_source=googlemerchant&utm_medium=click&utm_campaign=sager-brand&gclid=CjwKCAjwuqfoBRAEEiwAZErCsmIrCQPrS_ramMXLLE90hVh1vyVVNWT5HNqvazoD4-TRV5wU6g6u6RoCP4kQAvD_BwE for example.

As far as missing wire, not all spaces of the connectors are always used. There will be blanks and a space known as the "key" where the will be a filler plug in a specific space in each housing to prevent the connector from being installed on the wrong pins. On your J1 rect board connector I see pin number 8 was badly burned. This is common because the GI lamps pull alot of current. That's where the white wire should be but it looks like somebody moved the white wire to pin 5 which is fine since it is tied in with the GI supply (bus)

As far as lamps not lighting up. You are right about the lamp sockets. They are old and the insulator on the bottom dry rots and causes looseness. Replacement can be found at Marco Specialties. Going with LED in the GI will definitely reduce the strain on the rect board and it's connectors.

If you want to do LED on the switched lamps, you need to buy a Alltek lamp/LED driver board. Stern games with speech have special instructions for the Alltek so you need to read the instructions thoroughly. There's a jumper harness that goes from the speech board (VU-100) to the lamp driver board, I believe to J4. 2 wires need to be cut to avoid switched illum power from back feeding to the speech board, but you find that in the Alltek manual.

As far as the drop targets falling down. It could be that they are just worn out. They have a small lip on the front that catches the metal tab of the memory coil release mech. They might be slipping off. Also sometimes the metal tabs have to be tweaked. Since this game has been HOU for so long, I think the target bank is still in good shape and shouldn't need any modifications. Also the lift bar under it is adjustable by loosening the allen screws.

Also you should probably replace the balls to save the playfield. Most home pin owners don't know that the balls should be replaced when shopped out. The balls become pitted over time from use and corrosion.

I have the CPR glass and they did a nice job on it so don't hesitate to buy one, I don't think will rerun it any time soon, since I think this is the 3rd run since 2007.

#365 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Thank you for the helpful information everyone. My new rubbers came in the mail last night and I started to put them on. Unfortunately one was missing from the kit and another was the wrong size. Does anyone know the correct size for the one to the left of the blast off lane? The one behind drop target "1". The kit came with a 1-1/4 inch but that is too large.

The chart in the manual doesn't show the rubber behind the #1 drop target. Sometimes the rubber size is stamped on the playfield in the white area under the plastics where the rubber goes. To me it looks like a 3/4 or a 1 inch should work there. If you replace the drop targets, you should go a 1/4 in shorter on the rubbers behind the target 2-3 and 4-5. The reason for this is because the newer targets tend to "brick" meaning the target will not drop when hit straight on from a hard hit ball. It's a mystery why this happens, I believe that the newer plastics are softer and tend to bend when hit hard. Using a smaller size rubber will stretch the rubber and become thinner and therefore create more space behind the targets.

Do yourself a favor and buy some extra rubbers of various sizes to keep on hand. Keep them stored air tight in a ziploc bag. Here's a cross reference chart from Pinball Resource. The last column shows Chicago Coin/ old Stern which is the one you want. http://www.pbresource.com/Rubberref.html

You can buy these from Pinball Resource, he sells good quality, Happ or Wico brand. If you never ordered from them before, you will need to send a personal check for payment before he ships your order. He doesn't to Paypal or credit. After the first order, once you establish good credit with them, all orders will be shipped before you send a check and then you mail him a check once order is received. I know! He's old school!

#372 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Backstory is it was doing resets during gameplay at a nursing home where I was lending it. I unplugged it, but when I picked it up, someone had plugged it back in and now I have nothing but GI.

If the game was resetting, that's a sign of the 5v regulator going out. LM323, order one and replace it and see what happens.

#377 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Classic Stern legs should be closer to hammertone silver color.

Yes. Non-ribbed. Slight hammer tone grey like the coin door. The inside corner at the bottom where the leveler screws in should be rounded off.

#378 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Ok, will do. I swapped in a silverball mania ps with no change, although I am not 100% sure about that ps either. I can't seem to get votage readings on the header pins of the rectifier board, but they all look new and clean. I replaced at least 1 connector there before. It seems that power is lost between the test points and the header pins or I am not testing correctly.

Put the black lead on the transformer or cab braid ground. See if the board has burn traces on the back side.

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Before replacing that regulator I'd add the jumper on the back of the driver to tie the 5v points together instead of relying on the old contacts in the harness to do so. Also check to see if the large cap for the 5v supply was replaced.

Good call. I have been waiting for someone else to chime in. I forgot about the jumper trick.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Ok I have gone through Clays guide on this. I do have a downloaded manual with schematics, but they are very confusing compared to the system 11s I usually work on.
At this point I only have GI and the displays seem to backlight. I have all the proper voltages at the test points on the rectifier board. I have high voltage on the solenoid driver but that is all. No 5 or 12v on the sol driver or MPU. I do not see a way to test the power after the test points on the rectifier board. I am not sure how to test the header pins on the output of that board but I assume that is where I should start. Can I test those pins while disconnected? And what do I use for the ground? My board looks rebuilt but no ground test point on it. Can I ground right to the transformer body? Thanks to anyone who has some direction.

Now that I'm home, I can try to answer some of your questions. I have been studying the SDU schematic a little more cus now I'm curious as well. So it looks like 12V unregulated comes from the rect board J3 pin 8 so it will be A2-J308. A2 identifies rect board. I looked at your pics again. I noticed they used 2 10 position connector housings for J3 instead of a single 20 pos which is fine. I verified by the schematic that they installed correctly. Since this is a .156 connector, it is large enough to insert the meter probe in there to make sure you have 12V at that point. A2-J308 has a thinner orange wire. There should be a green ground wire coming from under the transformer L bracket and going to the rect board mounting plate. you should be able to use that as ground point to take voltage readings. We are measuring DC for this. Only Gi is AC. Since you said that you got 12V at the SDU by fiddling with the J3 connector, it would be safe to say that the connector or header pin is the weak point. You also said that it looks like somebody reflowed the header? This could be were the issue lies. Pull the SDU out and get a magnifying glass if you have one. If there is a solder bridge between pins 10 and 11, this will cause 12V to short to the transformer ground. Pins 11 and 12 should be soldered as one behind the J3 header. Pin 12 is coming from A2-J308 (12V) and splits off to the MPU 12V supply via pin 11. Just make sure that pin 10 SDU J3 is not touching the other pins with solder. Take something sharp and score a line between them if necessary. Also with the J3 connector removed, find something small and metal that will fit in the connector slot so you can take a reading of pin 12, orange wire. You should get the same result as from A2-J308.

So what I gather from the SDU 5 volt section of the schematic, this 12V (TP5) goes to the regulator LM-323 and comes out as 5V regulated (TP1) and then to SDU J3 pins 13 thru 17. These run the MPU, lamp driver and score displays.

So if you have 12V at TP5 and below 4.8V at TP1, then the regulator and/or C23 are bad.

As far as rect board ground test point, there is none. Ground enters the rect at J210 from the transformer.

#390 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Mine looks just like yours as pictured.

I have seen 2 variations of the 10K bonus insert. The faded purple and solid blue, the same as the smaller blue. CPR's F2K PF has the blue 10K insert, so I guess their sample had that variation. It may be possible that they ran out of one or the other during mfg. My current game has the faded purple one, I think I put white lamp under mine.

#399 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I guess I could use cutters and cut them but it is not what I ordered.

I was taking a closer look at these. Judging by the irregularity of the cut pieces it may be possible to remove them? The back side of the pin has the locking tab, maybe you can slip them apart without cutting? Even if they were originally shipped as a roll, I can't see why someone would separate them.

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Joining the club today! Picking up a basket case, but that's part of the thrill. I'll post picks later, hope it's a keeper!

Welcome!

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

well, we had storms in the area last night ,so today is the big day..finally. Quick question, as I've never owned/moved one of these (or any other stern) - does the head unbolt, or hinge on this game?

First thing to do is disconnect the ground strap that comes from the cabinet and screws to the bottom of the head if it was attached. Unplug all connectors that are coming from the cab to the boards in the head and any wire to wire square connectors. Once they are all free, drop the harness down into the cab. There's a long harness that goes from the head to the rectifier board by the transformer. Unplug J3 from the rectifier board and the connector for the speaker volume. Then pull that harness up out of the cab and through the head. Remove bolts.

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Thank you so much! Quick and thorough. It was diff from any other pin I’ve moved so that helped tremendously !! Thanks again !

Good luck with it. Hit this thread of you need more help...

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

well, it's me Margaret...got her home (already had ordered the rebuild kit) but wanted to get this thing actually working (it was totally DOA, which was part of the deal I'd made)..hoping it was a fuse, etc..(Wishing)..
Anyhow, I knew there were flipper rebuild issues as well (next purchase) as I'd seen on coil hanging inside..ugh
It looks like 2 or 3 of the end brackets on some coils had broken, so two wedged, one hagnin..lol (got some of those, so no issues there).
It was blowing the 3A "Line" Fuse (F6), got that worked out.
Now down to the solenoids.. its now blowing the 7A solenoids fuse...
I've unplugged the following on the SDB, and its still blowing:
J1, J2, J4, J5...individually. Combination, altogether...still blows
Any suggestions?
It did go from nothing, to now I'm getting (after that circuit blows) 6 red flashes with beeps, a loud spaceman like verbal at the very start, nothing on the displays...GI and back box lights do come on...making some progress

Congrats on the F2K!

First off you won't get the final 7th flash of the MPU without the coil voltage.

Coil voltage fuse blowing, could be bad BR3 on the rectifier board since the fuse comes before the bridge rectifier. Could also be a shorted VR1 on the rect board.

Could also be the coin lockout coil shorting. Pull the coin door connector and try that.

There is coil voltage coming in at the solenoid driver J3, and that's the only one you didn't disconnect. J3 is where the flipper enable comes in. Pull that one too.

This is a stretch but R113 and R16 are where the 43V comes in at the MPU. Maybe one of them shorted.

If you have the Alltek MPU, it's normal for the spaceman blurp at power up, mine does it. It was covered in a prior thread. No harm if you leave it.

There's a fuse under the playfield for coils, minus the flippers. If you had a shorted coil, that use would blow first unless someone put a higher value fuse in there.

So it sounds like your coil stops came loose from the flipper mechs? Typical of the early sterns. They used very cheap hardware and usually the screw holes strip out. The Stern flippers work best with the original style copper colored stops. The repro stops are not as good even though the look similar. You can rob the stops from the sling shots since they usually don't wear as much. Replace the stops with these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-coil-stop.html

Or full assembly, just swap the coil stops as I explained:

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

whoop whoop! Disconnected the coin door, nuttin. The rect board looked ok, but did notice two fo the connectors had burnt spots (I'll re-pin those later) I did have a replacement rect/with transformer mounted from a "Hotdoggin" - laid it in the bottom of the cab and connected it up, now getting 7th flash and game starts up. I reconnected the coin door, added credits and started a game! Now working! I'll have to make some mods in the cab and replace those not working, but now it's time to clear the playfield for a deep cleaning! Thanks again for the amazing help here !!

Glad it worked out for you. Are you going to get a replacement rectifier board? Or keep the Bally set up for now?

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Well, after the help here, a thorough cleaning, new bulbs and rubbers, some soldering and flipper maintenance - she’s back in business!
All but the right bottom kicker. Giving credit and sounds when hit. But coil not firing.
Thinking if the left one worked, the transistor would be ok - unless these are fed off diff ? I’ll try to find a schematic to trace it down. Any help tho would be appreciative
First time playing this game. First stern. First wide body.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, you're not wasting any time! All 4 slings operate separately. Bottom right sling is Q6 on the driver board. First check connector pin Sol drv. J2 pin 11. Or temporarily jump the coil from the lug with the Gr/red wire to ground and see if it fires. If the coil looks burnt or the mech is stuck, you need to replace it.

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Thanks for th thoughts. I had originally tested both of those micro switches via the built in switch test. I tested them earlier this morning when testing the diodes too. They tested out perfect. I'll go over all the blade switches too. Wouldn't that show up on the switch test though if they were backwards?

switch errors are a pain. Did you verify no closed switches during the initial self test feature. The balls need to be removed and all drop targets reset. The display should read 0 if all switches are open. If a switch is reading closed and is physically open, then there's an error in the switch matrix. Most commonly caused by shorted caps. But the trick is finding which one. You can snip one at a time and re-solder them later. Start with the unnecessary caps first like the tilt mechs. A bad diode can cause this as well but they are harder to test. One lead of the diode has to be removed from the circuit by clipping. A good VOM with a diode tester helps. A good diode will read about 60mV IIRC. Diodes don't fail as much as the caps. The caps are old and leak over time. It's best to replace them anyway. The value for them is .05 micro farad and anything over 10V rating should be fine. The .05 mf is hard to find these days but you can use the more common .047 mf just fine. Diode is 1N4004

Another thing I would check is J2 on MPU, connectors and header pins. It's possible that somebody may have worked on the MPU and caused a short on the header.

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

It was the coil! Lol. Had an old one and now that’s working. Ahh. Nice to play!

Sweet! Another F2K coming back to life!

#434 4 years ago

As I suggested earlier. Check the caps. My f2k also has random phantom firing of the top left sling shot. It's not a matrix issue. Something to do with feedback in wiring. It a pop bumper is firing randomly it could be the switch adjusted too close and picking up vibration.

#447 4 years ago

It's correct. just move that wire out of the way. the down rod should be resting in the groove at the end of the blade.

1 week later
#452 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Moving on to other items, someone had replaced the left spinner with one from another game. It was originally yellow so they painted it black. I have no idea why other than I can just assume they were lazy and only had black paint.
I stripped it all off and I'm putting on multiple coats of white. I have a vinyl cutter so I'm tempted to try making the stars and "S" myself. Looks like decals are pretty cheap too though. I thought about cutting my own numbers for the drop targets too.[quoted image]

There was a Pinsider that screened new F2K spinners for me 3 years ago. I just messaged him and asked if he can make more so I will let you know if he replies. I know it was a long time ago...

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Moving on to other items, someone had replaced the left spinner with one from another game. It was originally yellow so they painted it black. I have no idea why other than I can just assume they were lazy and only had black paint.
I stripped it all off and I'm putting on multiple coats of white. I have a vinyl cutter so I'm tempted to try making the stars and "S" myself. Looks like decals are pretty cheap too though. I thought about cutting my own numbers for the drop targets too.[quoted image]

There was a Pinsider that screened new F2K spinners for me 3 years ago. I just messaged him and asked if he can make more so I will let you know if he replies. I know it was a long time ago...

Quoted from wmanningiv:

Is there a better way to secure these metal supports on the Apollo lock mechanism plastics? They’re all loose on mine so they make taking the plastics off to clean the playfield a real chore.[quoted image]

The stands were originally pressed on. It looks like a one piece design but I think they are actually 2 pieces. At the top, it looks like some type of eyelet that was pressed and flared over the top of the plastic. You can try using a hollow tube like metal tool on the underside and a center punch with a flaring angle and gently tap them down. Something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/SE-ST1020I-Center-Punch-Piece/dp/B006U5QS1Y/ref=sr_1_41

The largest one would probably work.

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

PM sent

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from wmanningiv:

Is there a better way to secure these metal supports on the Apollo lock mechanism plastics? They’re all loose on mine so they make taking the plastics off to clean the playfield a real chore.[quoted image]

I just looked at these pics closer. If the top plastic was changed, it's possible that somebody may have drilled out the tops of the stands to remove them from the original plastics. If that's the case, there's not much you can do except source some used plastics and remove the stands. the easiest way is to use a soldering iron tip and heat them up and apply pressure until they pop out. Follow Gatecrasher's method to re-install them. He posted it somewhere on PS. If I find the thread I will post it here.

1 week later
#459 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, and razor cut to size.
Please PM me if interested.[quoted image][quoted image]

I asked Mr_Tantrum to design custom apron cards for F2K. Designed, printed and received in less than a week! They are heavy high quality cards. Pics in original apron:

P7260058 (resized).JPGP7260058 (resized).JPGP7260059 (resized).JPGP7260059 (resized).JPG
#463 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

The instruction cards look nice, but I don’t believe the instructions are accurate. It offers the ways to advance the bonus, including the outlanes, but omits the return lanes do also. If I’m being too picky, please disregard as these are still a nice touch.

Instructions vary from what ever the game dips were set to. These games came with many cards so the ops could choose the one that fit whatever options were chosen. Eg. I have my game set to award extra balls instead of free games so that I can get the highest score possible. I'm sure Mr_Tantrum can make the card with the instructions to fit your needs.

#464 4 years ago

I want to add, the game points awarded and and rules can change depending on a 3 ball game compared to a 5 ball game setting.

#471 4 years ago

If you're doing a full respray rustoleum safety blue and safety yellow.

1 week later
#484 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Taking a break from many fine laters of paint for a moment, I finally traced down my one remaining inoperable insert light to a bad SCR. Q13 was no longer functional. I was able to find a suitable replacement at the local surplus store. They had both N25061 and N25062 SCRs. I went with the slightly heavier duty 5062 which is rated for 100v. Swapping it out was easy peasy. I picked up a few extra for down the road as well. The bonus lights are very handsome in attract mode. I don't think I had ever seen that work correctly. The pulsing outward effect is completely ruined by even one light being out.[quoted image]

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Worse comes to worse, you can always just move an unused transistor on the board to a spot where you need it. Not sure on F2K how many that is, but I have done it on other boards and there are usually quite a few.

I think F2K uses all 60, good idea though!

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Too bad the multiball is over if you re-shoot the maze during multiball. A definite flaw that the MB sterns of that era had - it was actually the main reasons I sold my Catacomb and Lightning.

That is a bummer but what I like is that during MB and you hit the spot blast target, you have a head start for the next MB. It's rare but I have gotten MB twice before the last ball drained. Also someone was working on the software to change the locking ball during Mb. I never followed up with him. I'll have to check the archives on RGP/

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Anyone else have the CPR backglass? I was so excited to put it in place but it looks really washed out and pastel to me. Curious if anyone else had a similar experience.[quoted image]

That doesn't look all that bad. You should probably change the LED's to warm white or put some red in behind the flight 2000 part. This is the 2010 CPR in my game.

PB050223 (resized).JPGPB050223 (resized).JPGPB050224 (resized).JPGPB050224 (resized).JPGPB050225 (resized).JPGPB050225 (resized).JPGPB050230 (resized).JPGPB050230 (resized).JPG
#507 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

Love seeing photos of other F2Ks
Does anyone know if its still possible to buy a reproduction playfield somewhere?
Asked CPR but they where all out of stock.

Luck of the draw at this point. There is a NOS on Ebay I think.

#523 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Six plays for a dollar coin. I wish places still had this deal today![quoted image]

Back in the early 80's when I played this in the arcades I got desperate one day cuz I loved to play but was out of money. I had a nickel and threw into the SBA slot and got 6 credits. It didn't work every time , I had to throw it in just right to fool the coin mech, ahh the ol' days.

1 month later
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Anyone else running the weebly setup? I was having issues with my boards so i got all new ones for my flash Gordon and flight 2k from weebly. Im running all his stuff in my Lectronamo with no issues but when powering up both machines the mpu fails to boot fully when the J2 connector is plugged in on the driver board. Im drawing a blank as to why this is happening.[quoted image]

Best bet is to email Andrew Spitler. He designed these and stands behind his products.

#582 4 years ago

Bay Area also has a nice assortment of inserts.

3 months later
#636 4 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Far from perfect but a vast improvement from what it was. Passes the 3 step test (take 3 steps back and it looks good)[quoted image]

#639 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Does anyone have a pic of the upper left slingshot plastic, next to a ruler?[quoted image]

I probably have a spare I could mail to you. I will let you know in a day or 2.

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Thanks. The 2 big plastics have small parts chipped off of it, but I'm not going to worry about that now.
Over the weekend, I got most of the rubbers placed onto it. I was missing a few pieces from the rubber kit I ordered, but no biggie.
The next step is to take some of these really rusty screws & find equivalents at the hardware store. Trying to find the matching hardware on pinball supplier websites didn't bring up anything matching.
Looking at the plastic coil holders for the pop bumpers, they look like they could be 3D printed. Mine are intact, but still , would be a fun challenge.

Not sure what you mean by plastic coil holders. Are you referring to the pop bumper main body under the pf?

The screws are going to be a pain. I know by experience. They will spin when trying to remove the cap nuts. They have a blind stud that come up from the underside of the pf and there's no tool that will hold it and will may need to break or cut them. You'll see once you get into it. Also be careful note that there are 2 different sizes of the red posts.

#642 4 years ago

I have been thinking long and hard about this. I'm thinking of selling my restored F2k. I need money for other projects. It won a blue ribbon at Pinfest 2015 for best restored classic SS pin.
The game has had only 150 to 200 plays since restore. More or less eye candy for me and obviously by my PS handle a lot of passion and planning went into the restoration. I actually have done two F2K restores. First one sold in 2012 for $6500. The only difference is the first one had chromed side rails. The side rails on this game were made by Doug Hughes from Let's Play Pinball. Stern wide body games have a longer rail than standard and nobody else made rails for this game so I'm the only person that has them. The game still looks better than new inside and out. Since the resto is 5 years old I will shop it out though it really doesn't need it.

Key points:

Rescreened original pf. CPR did the re-screen at the same time as their repro f2k was made. So same artwork but original board with new inserts installed by me. The dark blue and translucent green inserts were sanded and reused to keep the deep colors.

CPR plastics and 2010 run CPR glass.

Brand new pf tempered pf glass

Two bits MPU with fix it board that will run any Bally/Stern game from 77 to 1984

Alltek solenoid and lamp driver

New rectifier board

Tasteful LEDs

The following have been chromed:
Lock down bar, coin entry bezel, coin eject button and flapper, transformer L brackets and shooter rod.

The list just keeps going. Some of you may have seen or played it at Allentown so you know the game. It is still blanketed and shrink wrapped from last years show.

I know this post should be on the market place page but I want the people in this club to see it first. I don't think there will be enough space at my spot at pinfest to set it up this year and I'm not interested in shipping it. Anyone can stop by my place in south Jersey if they want to see it. I will bring it to pinfest with a significant deposit. Please ask me any questions you may have by PM Asking price is $5500

Sorry for the long post.

2 weeks later
#658 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Does any supplier sell these rivet-looking drop target arm ends? I am missing a few, and so far, no luck finding any on Marco or PBL.
I may have found a workaround at the local hardware store, which is a screw-in dowel thingy.[quoted image]

If anyone had these still it would be Pinball Resource. How many to you need? I may have a few spares.

Also you should try to remove the surface rust from the ones you do have. I run them in a tumbler with walnut media. Or dip them in Evapo-Rust for a few minute and then wipe them with a light oil.

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

If anyone had these still it would be Pinball Resource. How many to you need? I may have a few spares.
Also you should try to remove the surface rust from the ones you do have. I run them in a tumbler with walnut media. Or dip them in Evapo-Rust for a few minute and then wipe them with a light oil.

The part number for the pin is 2A-230 and the E clip is 17A-104-25

Also check the floor of the cabinet for any small parts, you'll be amazed at what you might find. Drag a magnetized screw driver through the crap in the bottom of the cab.

#661 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

If I had the cabinet, I would. All I have is the playfield. Yes, I'm restoring just part of a F2K. But with no Sunday car any more, I restore this.

Did you see my other post #658?

1 week later
#664 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

For the 3-drop target bank, one of my switches is all messed up at the very end.
Anyone got a URL for PBL or marco for an exact replacement? I haven't found any exact matches. Can't be too obscure as it's just registering a drop target hit.

There are not too many replacement switches for early solid state games. You may find some generic switches and few direct replacements. Usually you will need to rebuild the switch.

Pinball Resource has the parts to rebuild them. Universal blades that you can to length and install new gold flashed contacts on them. Usually you can reuse the old bakolite stacks and the plastic cylinders that hold them together. Buy all 3 gauges of blades that they offer so you have them on hand. Might as well replace the diode while your at it.

3 weeks later
#687 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I had to put quarters in last night. Everything works, this thing is perfect for route. Just missing susan B mech center. Kind of want one now.

I can probably scrounge up an SBA mech if you need one. F2K also mt first SS pin, hence my pinside and rgp name. Had 4 so far, have a beautiful resto that I did on the current one.

#690 4 years ago

All right. Manual says knocker lower front cabinet. I have no knocker and no wires wondering around for a home, or even see screw holes in wood where one would have been.
Did this game come with a knocker?

There was no knocker on F2K. Electronic sound was added since there wasn't enough room on the sol driver for it.

#691 4 years ago

The knocker on early sterns is located on the plywood base next to the rectifier board, look to the right, you may see 2 small pre-drilled holes.

#692 4 years ago

Classic stern/bally solenoid driver circuits have 16 drivers for the coils IIRC. Since F2K has 5 coils just for the 1-5 drop targets, a third of them were used up, leaving only 11 drive circuits. EBD is another game with excessive coils. Bally designed a special board for that game called the solenoid expander board. (SEB)

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I love F2K's electronic sound for a free game. Just as satisfying to me as the acoustical knocker!

I think there's a blast sound when winning exta ball.

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Recently I've created a Tech Chart for Flight 2000.
I did not find anything for a knocker in the manual and schematics.
So it is also not listed in my Tech Chart.
The file will be on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl at the end of the month.

Correct. No knocker on F2K

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

The new code that Slochar is working on adds the missing knocker back into the game. Looking forward to adding it!

+1

#701 4 years ago

Was going to use the coin lockout driver. I think there will be two versions. One that can use a knocker instead of coin lockout and another leaving it alone and keep the sound.

Could use a system 80 pop bumper driver board.

1 week later
#715 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Room for one more member?
I'll post a restore thread in a few weeks or so, when I start digging into it.
-mof
[quoted image]

Oh yeah! I'm ready to see how you do with F2K. I did 2 of them. I would definitely bead/sand blast those legs and hit them with Rustoleum Hammer tone paint. Same color as the coin door. I have all the tech cards and labels for sale if you want a set for $35. I even have the little sticker that goes on the 2 switches on the coin door.

#739 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

SLING GI:
Has anyone swapped out the 4 bracketed lamp sockets for surface-level mount? I would think it would bring more light to that area. (or did factory just put the wrong ones in mine?)

All of the GI lamps on f2k are low. Don't know why. Maybe to keep them from melting the plastics? They are a pain to change the bulbs.

#742 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

That’s what i was thinking. But with LED’s in the GI i can’t see the plastics warping. I’m just repopulating my pf so i think i’ll give the Flush-mount style a try. They use them in a few areas already.
Do you see any reason to not set them deeper?

if you're going LED, I don't see why you can't use the staple down sockets.

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Most of the time it had to do with conditions at the time.
Fight 2000 has plastic pieces that are low to the main playfield...
So instead of having multiple sizes... economically it made sense to use
"one size fits all" approach.
On the other hand, they had a plethora of leftover lamps from the EM days
that they had to get rid of.

Good point, I thought of that also. It's like the brick pattern on the floor of my Seawitch. I'm still trying to figure out why Bally used particle board for the cabinet back and back box rear panesl starting around 1980.

#775 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Inlane guides have now been digitized in Fusion 360. Anyone want to do a test 3D print to make sure I scaled the scans correctly?
Once they are verified does anyone have access to a CNC laser cutter that can handle 1/16" stainless steel?[quoted image]

Try Cliffy,

https://www.passionforpinball.com/products.htm

#786 4 years ago

Those metal guides were added later. A service bulletin was made available back then. I know about the ball hop but always figured it was because of the low inlane guide not the wire.

I guess it's just preference at this point. You can make it 2 layers by adding more stands offs like ebd. I'm thinking of doing that to mine.

#792 4 years ago

Another problem with flipper hop on the early Sterns is that the original flipper bats are NLA. The reproductions are fatter and causes a not so smooth transition to the flipper from the inlane.

1 week later
#827 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

This is one of the NOS playfields sold on Ebay last year.
It has been clearcoated, but the acryl paint pen used around the inserts (which were cupped) unfortunately "opened up" a bit during the process.
But all in all I'm happy with the result - just need to sort out a few of the lamp sockets, but it's fully working and a fun game ![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love me some F2K, even at a 90 degree angle LOL!

1 week later
#831 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Occasionally the ball walker doesn't let one ball through - so 2 balls get caught in the same entry.
Is this a switch issue or a mechanical issue ?
... and is it advised to lube the walker mech with grease, something else - or nothing ?
[quoted image]

I had the same problem. it was the clearcoat finish keeping the ball from rolling down. Try to increase the pitch of the play field. If that doesn't work you may have to cut a groove in the clearcoat with sand paper folded so that you can cut a straight line. This will allow the balls to flow better.

#834 3 years ago
Quoted from Winger03:

I had the same problem as well. Even increasing the pitch did not help. I drop or two of 3-in-1 oil did the trick.

That may be a temporary fix. When I restored my game I completely disassembled the Walker assembly. replaced the nyliners with new and applied white lithium grease where it had been originally from factory.

I have noticed this problem with other clear coated pfs where the clear will create a "dam" and block slow rolling balls. F2k had 2 places where this happened on my game. The walker and trough area.

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from Winger03:

Interesting - I am little worried if I disassembled the walker I'd not get it back together correctly.

It's not that difficult. take pics as you do it.

1 week later
#844 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Our previously happy F2K has a new behavior: it "belches" on power-up differently than it did (the sound it makes is different) and the GI and sound will suddenly try to drop out as if the machine is resetting. Sometimes just after power-up, sometimes during play.
I checked wall voltage (116vac), but my multimeter won't show random transient dips. Any other ideas come to mind?
My next thought is to look for a loose connector on the power supply or a fuse problem.

If you recently changed the MPU to a new production board you will get the belch, mine does it ad it's annoying. It can also could be the addition of new sound ribbon cables. I'm pretty sure if you disrupt the connections of pins 33 and 34 from either J5 MPU or at the top connector of the SB-300 as they are not used. It doesn't hurt anything. Ask Andrew Spitler about what causes it. He is nvram.weebly.com

It is also mentioned on Pinside but I forget what thread, it may even be this one.

I would definitely re-pin all the connectors on the rectifier board. You can also have a failing BR1 or 2 cause the drops in the GI and sound. Transformers rarely go bad, but you're doing the right thing starting at the power supply first. Do the GI's dim when activating flippers?

If you still suspect the wall outlet voltage is a problem, try running a fan from there and listen for changes in motor speed.

Get familiar with the site if you haven't done so: pinwiki.com Bally/Stern section.

2 weeks later
#879 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Didn't want to transfer any problems but did end up putting this MPU in my working F2K. It boots up and plays fine. Almost got multi-ball but drained as soon as countdown was completed...just like normal.
Possibly some issue with the project game's wire harness, especially the MPU upper right were there are lots of spliced wires?
So, I usually add games by putting a quarter thru the slot with the coin door open, catch the quarter, repeat. With this replaced MPU the quarter didn't come out and I can't add games. Looks like the coin lock out coil isn't working and moving the lever doesn't retrieve the quarter. Do I have to take it all apart?

In most home settings, people disconnect the coin lockout coil. The coin lockout coil is a constant coil and should be controlled by the solenoid driver. Run coil test and observe the action of the locking mech on the coin door. You can also manually add credits by gently pressing down on the trip wire at the micro switch.

1 month later
#908 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Our beautiful F2K is half way through a complete "feature" light socket replacement. The LED bulbs dimmed out randomly, sockets spun and the old solder work was not too good. It looks much nicer underneath, inserts are cleaner, lights brighter, BUT....
It still has this intermittent behavior where the feature lights all brown out and the sound system crackles. We originally thought we might have a shorted light socket or wire, but so far none has turned up. Any other ideas?

System crackles? Please explain. Are you using a Alltek lamp driver with the LEDs? If so, there are specific instructions when using a Alltek w Stern speech games. Double check all of the work performed so far, shorts of trace wire or wiring to the sockets. One time when doing a restore I found a LED lamp with a solder blob stuck to the bottom base of the lamp. It shorted and burned out the scr. So you never know when using after market products on these old games.

#912 3 years ago

Ok, It may be that the BR1 bridge rectifier on the power supply board is checking out or maybe something is amiss on that board,TA-100. These are often hacked up and re-worked by now, or maybe replaced with a new board? I see Reaper802 beat me to the punch lol.

But the static is making me wonder about the sound board SB-300.

The easiest thing to do now is verify that the Alltek lamp driver has been installed correctly. I couldn't find the complete manual for it online but this is a start:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0071/0810/0141/files/Lamp_Driver_Manual_A_6.pdf?132 but this is missing the last page (6) with the Stern speech game instruction for some reason.

You may even have the manual for it? If so that's great. First verify that the jumper from Alltek J13 was installed and wired into the feature lamp bus line and not the GI bus line, easily confused between the two. Then go to Alltek J4 connector wires going to the top connector of the speech board(VSU-100).

You should see that the wires between J4 lamp driver to the speech board have been cut or removed. You will also see on the left side of the Alltek J4 header pins 9 and 10 marked :SW Illu bus voltage. If there is still a connection there, it could have damaged the switch ill. power supply.

If all that is good, go back to the sound board and pull the connector J2 and see if you still get the brown out.

#915 3 years ago

I just got new one to keep my Gi from fritzing out.
You really just solder to the back of board?
Ive been meaning to look this up.

Yes the connections for the wires have a through hole. Solder both sides for the best connection. Keep the connections tight and make sure nothing touches the face of the mounting bracket. There should be a piece of fish paper between the back of the rectifier board and the bracket to prevent shorts.

#916 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Just picked up a flight 2000 last week. Had to get a playable machine , while I restore / clear coat / playfield protector my ‘76 Royal Flush (Couldn’t keep seeing more bare wood everyday). Holy moley, I am really stoked about the F2K as the move from the EM to this machine is like going from acoustic to electric! And what a challenge, was a lot longer Than I was thinking to hit 1 mill and still haven’t broken 2 mill (3 ball). By the way, is it me or the machine supposed the drain the ball within 30 seconds of getting the all systems go for multi-ball, which is happening to me like every single time...
I believe the F2K does have an Alltek MPU, and the one issue it is having is that the voice doesn’t work. The rest of the sound works just not the voice. Where do I find the special instructions? I really want to end the irony of sterns first talking machine unable to speak...
Thanks all
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats on getting F2K. Yes F2K can be a drain monster sometimes, especially when achieving multi-ball. slochar has re-worked the software to improve the game features so you may want to look into that.

There is a dip switch setting on the MPU for background sound option, not sure if speech is involved there. It's Sw 14. Always power down the game before changing any dip settings.

The VSU-100 board is for the speech. The speech processor chip S14001A often can fail. The problem is it's expensive and herd to find these days. Another thing to look for is a jumper wire on the reverse side of the SB-300. This needs to be there for speech to work. If the board was swapped from a non-speech game it's possible that there is no jumper. see photo. Also make sure the connectors for lamp driver J4 to the VSU-100 are tight. I hope one of these solves the issue.

SB-300 Speech Jumper Wire (resized).pngSB-300 Speech Jumper Wire (resized).png
#917 3 years ago

AH I missed this the first time I looked at the dip switch chart. SW is for Speech (talking feature). SW 17

2 weeks later
#982 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Weird, huh? It fits, and works, but it was manufactured and installed defferently than the others.

Another thing is that these wear out and no replacement available. The hole on the arm eggs out and creates a lot of slop.

#984 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-plunger.html
[quoted image]
https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-18-plunger.html
[quoted image]
Or if you really want to step it up, PBR has some NOS Stern slingshot links. He is fairly proud of them at $1.94 each.
http://www.pbresource.com/special.html
[quoted image]
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8085
[quoted image]
Or if you are talking about the pivot hole on the pivot bracket, it is being looked into about trying to get new sling shot levers reproduced.

Thanks for posting these but I should have been more clear, I was referring to the arm A-157-1 and the pivot A-143. I'm not sure which part wears out more but there will be a lot of side to side motion (slop) when severely worn.

#997 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I am new to pinball and have not needed to order anything online outside of Amazon in years, so I guess I just wanted to buy something face to face rather than order online from somewhere I’m not familiar with. But since I hear Marco mentioned so much, I guess I should just get over it and order what I need from there.
I did install the Bally and it stopped the machine gunning, and haven’t blown a fuse after about ten three-ball games. But still the coil definitely doesn’t sit as tightly in the assembly as there is some loose space between the coil stop and the coil, so I am going to order the proper coils.
I am also going to go back to earlier in the thread because someone mentioned that the diodes appeared to have been installed backwards from what the schematic said, and I went ahead and installed the diodes the same way they were. So I can make sure to install them correctly when I get the correct coils.
BTW, why are the Bally’s hold winding so strong compared to the Stern?

The new coils usually come with diodes pre-installed and also come with a new sleeve. I don't remember for sure but there should also be a spring washer installed between the coil and coil bracket.

3 weeks later
#1021 3 years ago

The board looks to be installed upside down. The expensive chip is the 40 pin
S14001A speech rom. U8 I think?

U9 looks like an eprom specific to F2K which I never knew they had. Yes j4 lamp driver goes to the speech board. I don't fully understand but I think the speech board gets prompts from certain lamps either when on or turning off. Make sure that jumper harness is installed correctly. I think it's keyed but not sure.

#1022 3 years ago

After my previous post I had to look at my game because I couldn't remember how the vsu was connected.

This could be your issue hopefully, lamp driver j4 should be going to vsu J1 not J2. The brown connector goes to J2. Oddly though both headers J1 and 2 are keyed the same which is dumb. Hopefully no damage occurred from these being reversed.

And no the self test only tells you if things are working or not, no diagnosis.

I'm no electronic whiz but I think you need a logic probe and a vom to test eproms and other micro chips.

Maybe @ Slochar will chime in on that.

#1027 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

And thanks Lovef2K for getting me started with at least knowing my ass from my elbow!

Glad to help. No only the board itself was upside down. The IC chips looked ok. Note the white outline on the board showing the notch on the IC. And they matched.

If you think the jumper harness from J4 to J1 is wrong just see if the pins match up. On each board you should see a small number printed near each header. A number 1 denotes that is pin 1 on the header and at the other end will be another number which indicates the last number of pins. As long as pin 1 from J4 matches pin 1 to vsu J1 you should be good. That's why they are keyed to prevent reversing the connection.

Have you powered it up after putting the connectors in the correct locations?

#1050 3 years ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

SLOCHAR- thanks for quick response as well. Not savvy on the PB jargon yet. I think it's the first kickbigs(?) And yes I think its the leaf switch as well. I have no idea if there is a capacitor on it yet, but it was working semi OK for a week. It would sometimes kick right away, sometimes delay for 30 sec - 2 min. Sometimes not at all. So I need to clean the contact pads right? Use business card (non inked area) or some other rough paper right? Recommendation?
Where is the "advance" button on the coin door? Inside or outside? My unit has 2 white buttons on the left end on the inside, but I've tried them. I assume they are the "clear" buttons?

Rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab or ball. Keep rubbing contacts until no dirt shows on the cotton. Never use anything abrasive not even paper towels.

1 week later
#1053 3 years ago

Good stuff. I have used the header pin trick for troubleshooting but not testing.

#1066 3 years ago

I just posted a very nice F2K in the classifieds of the market place.

#1068 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I just posted a very nice F2K in the classifieds of the market place.

BTW, can someone please show me where to find the seller fees here on PS?

#1076 3 years ago

When you go to mark your game sold....glwt....there will be a tab to donate.
$25 is the customary fee, can come strait out of paypal.
Same for all game parts, fees are smaller.
For instance, if someone would like my used F2K plastics or Full set, i would donate 5 for the used and 10 for the new set.
$2500 is a nice price for your example, Im listing mine in so cal this week for the same.

Thanks! So there's no set fee? I thought it went by the amount of the sale.

#1077 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yep, same issue with mine, but I was definitely giving it a workout with all the software testing so not surprised it busted.
Make sure you don't get one that's too small I had some 3a ones which I ended up not using so I ordered some 10amp ones. They weren't that expensive, most electronics supplies should carry these. If the 'bat' on the switch ends up being a little longer than stock you can either put a thicker wood block on the game, add a couple washers on the metal spacer, or use the extra locknut that comes with the new switch to space it up correctly so it's recessed properly.
I suppose technically the 3a switch would have been fine since the main power fuse is also 3a, but I like the idea of extra headroom there, and the 3a one was really flimsy.

how's this one? ebay.com link: Carling Technologies 2Gk54 73 Toggle Switch Dpst 10A 250V Screw

#1081 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Probably ok spec wise but I dislike screw terminals. Solder + heat shrink for mine.

For some reason I knew you would say that!

#1084 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

One could add four solder lugs to the screw terminals.

I haven't purchased those from ebay, just in my watch list. I never thought the power switch would only partially fail, just figured that if it powers up, the switch is good. Now that I know this, I will replace the power switch on future restores.

#1085 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I did not have the molex connector housing in 17 pins, so I combined part of the original and another housing. See Part One and Part Two. I assumed that pins I took out of the old housing and placed into the new housing, did not need to be repinned if they locked into place in the new housing.
Result, (1) machine is starting to make slight speech on start up, but in frequently; (2) ball does not kick into plunger lane on start, and when a ball drains or hits the walker.
However, when machine is on, and the ball does not kick out, and I remove Part Two and plug it back in, it does kick out the ball to the plunger lane. When I do the same thing with Part One, nothing happens, except for slight change in general machine buzzing sound.
I will start figuring out the continuity test, which I’m assuming would allow me to find the wire and pin that interact with the kick out mechanism, and rule that spot out as an issue. Is that the approach? Thanks[quoted image]

Your crimps on the connector look really iffy. These connector pins have a 2 part crimp. The first crimp grabs the bare wire. The second crimp should crimp the insulation for a nice tight grip. So you need to actually do 2 crimps per wire. Also need to make sure no bare wire interferes with the springy part of the pins. You only need to strip about an 1/8th of an inch of insulation. Are you using the Waldom crimper? If so, yellow or red handles? I like the yellow for this size.

The connection at the speech board shouldn't be affecting the coils. Unless your off on the pins and throwing off the software somehow. You may have switch issues as well.

#1087 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

thanks. Using an HD255, I think, blue handles.

Does it crimp both side at once? I have something similar but I find it difficult to use, seems like it was made for a lefty to me. I always go back to the Waldom.

#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

What's the story with the spinner text saying "1000 spin", "1500 spin" etc? Is that factory? Usually it's just the numbers.

I never saw one like that and I have had 4 of these so far. I noticed another difference from his to mine. The lettering on mine is white below those inserts and in front of the 1 to 5 drops. Plus the 1st and 3rd.line on mine are underlined.

Must different supplier or early version. Possibly a prototype?

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I got the spinner installed too. With the decal, it looks just fine alongside the old one.

Just curious what is the serial number on cab? Front left of coin door usually 4 numbers stamped in the wood.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is mine.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'm surprised that this didn't come up when cpr did the repro. I know there's an earlier version that has a different out hole mechanism and some guys had to convert to the newer out hole parts. I think there were too many issues with the earlier type.

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

They came in this kit: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKBLY-MPU
Maybe their are not actually trifucons, but they looks very similar. I will send the actual label for that individual part, when I get back to the pin.

They are not. Trifurcon connectors connect to 3 sides of the square pins. I have only seen them in the .156 size.

#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Those are .156 connectors.

Oh I thought he was still working on the vsu connectors

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

They are not. Trifurcon connectors connect to 3 sides of the square pins. I have only seen them in the .156 size.

correction. They are Trifurcon connectors. I usually only use them on the heavier wires or higher current circuits such as GI or coils. I once did the 20 pin connector in all trifurcon and the first time inserting the connector to the board was difficult. It needed extra force to fully seat the housing which caused the board to bend more than I was comfortable with.

#1141 3 years ago

I see the confusion now. The Marco listing you posted seems incorrect. It says for dash 17 or 35 which is the mpu but the items shown look like power supply connectors which are .156. The one you are working on on speech board are .100 and not Trifurcon.

The serial number u have is midstream production so I don't believe you have an early game. Unless the cab is a different number. Look on left front of cab.

#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Took the VSU-100 board out to do readings. here is what I have. What does it mean? A correct answer could be: "You don't know how to take readings."[quoted image]

I would put the vsu back in and record the readings of the test points with the game in attract mode. This may help with the diagnostics much more.

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

How do you put it in attract mode? Also, I was not able to get it to self-test, by pressing the button. What’s the correct way? Thanks

Attract mode happens after the game boots up. You don't need to do anything except be sure that all 3 balls are in the game. The switched lamps on the playfield will flash is a specific sequence over and over. Also the scores will change from score of last game to the high score to date (HSTD) about every 10 seconds or so.

the game has to be in attract mode to run the self test sequence. Inside the coin door you should find 2 white push button switches. One is memory clear, the other is self test. First press should start the testing of the coils, sounds, speech and score displays. Do you have the manual for this game?

#1154 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

This is what I got:[quoted image]

Did you have to turn game off to stop the self test sequence? Page 2 of manual explains the self test. Number 1 is burn im test. This cycles through everything, lamps,displays, coils, speech and sound. I believe it cycle continuously until pressing test button a second time. Press 2 is lamps only. Press 3 is displays only. Press 4 is coils only and press 5 is the switch test. To do this you must remove all balls and be sure all drop targets are reset. The match display will have a flashing a 0 if all switches are open which is what you want to see. If there is a number in there then a switch is closed either electronically or physically. Go to the switch ID chart and see which switch is closed. If more than 1 switch is closed, the display starts with the highest number first and as you eliminate a closed switch then it drops to the next lowest number.

To test if a switch is working then you just manually closed the switch and see if that number comes on the diaplay. Using the ball to activate a switch is ideal to ensure the switch actually works when playing.

The test numbers after the 5th are for free game settings and audits.

1 week later
#1172 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

While watching Pinball Expo's virtual broadcast I saw Ed Robertson of Barenaked Ladies gave a tour of the gameroom at his backwoods "cabin". Looked like F2K was in the lineup, but it never appeared in any more of the video.

My daughter, 12 at the time posted on YouTube her playing my first f2k.

1 week later
#1185 3 years ago

I'm with emsrph on this. The left trip wire looks bad. It should look more like the right trip wire, nice and straight but pointing on a slight angle. Try to straighten it and see if anything improves. If the trip wires on the micro switches are not in sync, the mpu will lose track of the balls. If no change, with game in attract mode, remove all balls and reset drop targets. Press the self test button 5 times waiting about 1 second between presses. This will put you in the switch test mode. The best result is that you will see a flashing 0 in the match/ball display. Go to the switch ID chart to find the corresponding numbers to the trough switches. If you have the flashing 0 then you can test the trough switches by manually closing each switch one at time. If there is a number in the display, you need to ID that switch and see why it is registering as a closed switch. The switch ID chart is the far left column of the large "self test display numbers" stapled to the right side in cabinet.

So if starting with a 0 in the display, close the left trip wire, you should get 33 in the display. Then right trip wire will be 34. Place a ball in the hole to the right of the right trip wire and you should see 35. If any of these 3 numbers appear in the display when first entering switch test mode, then one of these switches is either stuck or bad. Report back to the group with your results please.

Oh and "stand" in self test? Possibly a glitch or fluke in sound rom.

#1186 3 years ago

If your self test display numbers chart is missing, I can send you a copy to replace it. I have all the cards and labels for F2K reproduced.

#1210 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Not every game is worthy of a $2K+ playfield restoration. Some restorations are just to keep a game from becoming firewood. Here are some before and after pictures. The after picture was before clearing so it doesn't have any gloss to it yet. Looks like the game the game has gotten a lot of use since 2014

What a cool story. I did a high end resto on a F2K in 2011-12. I sold it to a guy in CO for big money and I never heard from the guy after that. Same with Bally Star Trek and a FG. I sold the FG to Don Margolis (spelling) who has since passed but he only kept it few like 2 weeks because he was always wheeling and dealing pins constantly. I did 3 EBD's, I know where 2 of them are. First resto was a Xenon, sold to Robert Winter and he kept it for a while and then sold it.

1 week later
#1229 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

I ordered the alltak bundle...playing in 3-5 business days

I would verify voltages at the power supply before installing the new boards. Don't wanna fry anything.

#1231 3 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Inspecting the trifuricon connector pins would be a good idea as well & the rejector pins

Trifurcon pins were not original to Stern games then. They just had the standard single sides connectors, but yeah, never hurts to check connectors of this vintage.

Trifurcon pins only come in the .156 size. Once I did the 20 pin connector with all Trifurcon and the connector needed way too much force to install it w/o bending the board. So now I just use them on the heavy wires, high current such as GI or coil voltage.

#1251 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Is it worth sending to someone like Chris to fix the board? But, if it costs $100 fix and the board is only worth $125 to sell, probably not worth the effort, right? Or, maybe I can try to fix myself.

Did you check the flipper enable relay? Perhaps it was holding only for a few seconds and that's why the flipps quit working.

2 weeks later
#1266 3 years ago

I have only seen the glass support bar on Bally games.

#1269 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Gottliebs have them as well.

Its been a while since I owned any GTBs.

1 month later
#1288 3 years ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

I just had the 3A SB Line In Fuse blow. I had a problem with the EOS lock shut on the right flipper. Coil burned up. Are the flippers on the circuit where the 3A SB fuse blew or do I have 2 separate issues?

Flipper voltage comes from the rectifier board and has it's own fuse. Your line fuse may have blown due to age possibly or the coil power fuse has an over rated fuse. A spike in the ac line, check your line voltage at outlet. Rare but maybe the line filter is checking out. Also rare, the transformer may also be going bad.

#1289 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Flipper voltage comes from the rectifier board and has it's own fuse. Your line fuse may have blown due to age possibly or the coil power fuse has an over rated fuse. A spike in the ac line, check your line voltage at outlet. Rare but maybe the line filter is checking out. Also rare, the transformer may also be going bad.

Correction. The flippers are fused by the coil voltage coming from the power supply, rectifier board. The flippers don't have their own fuse as I implied in previous post.

2 weeks later
#1291 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Ok, I *know* I found a site where they sold PCBs for replacing the lamp sockets on (among others) Flight 2000.
I apparently didn't bookmark it, and now my Google-fu isn't strong enough to find it again.
Has anyone else stumbled across this and can provide a link ?

I gotchya brother. It's pinball replacement parts. Don't forget you will need to buy the twist sockets also and this will get pricey.

2 weeks later
#1301 3 years ago

Take it from Slochar, he's an expert. I would like to add, that most of the time, the fuse holder under the PF has worn out clips, meaning less tension and can cause some heat there from added resistance. I always replace that fuse holder when doing PF swaps. Just in case the fuse label is missing, it should be a 1.25 amp slow blow fuse. Keep plenty on hand.

2 weeks later
#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Okay, thank’s for inviting this question: Are fast acting fuses the same as regular fuses (as opposed to slow blo)?
Also, MAJOR PROBLEM, after some quirky issues with ball not registering as drained when it drained, now, on power on, the power comes on, bulbs light, but no reset is happening, i.e. balls are not released from walker, and self-test button won’t activate. Is there a fuse I should check first? Thanks all!

It sounds like your MPU is flaky on the boot up sequence, most likely the reset section. Recently I removed my Two Bits MPU (similar to Alltek) and put in a clean original MPU with a remote battery pack. I did this just see if the MPU was reliable and it's not booting when it has been sitting a day or two. Same yours, the game will just light the GI's and nothing happens. If I wait a few seconds and try it again, it will boot. Sometimes it takes 2 tries.

When your game has sat for 24 hours or so, open the back box and while throwing the power on, watch the LED on the MPU. The first thing to look for is a very brief "flicker" before the 7 beeps start. That flicker needs to happen before the MPU can start to boot. If it doesn't, the MPU LED will probably lock on. Many things can cause the MPU to lock up, but the reset section issues are probably the most common and easiest to fix. Read up on Pinwiki.com Bally/Stern section. There's a section that explains the boot process, and most likely how to troubleshoot.

To add to what emsrph said, make sure the ball is rolling freely to the trough switches. Sometimes a rubber cap or a foreign object can end up in that area. Any build up of dirt can hinder the ball flow as well as the game not being level or not pitched enough.

#1320 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

No LED’s flicker or come on.

I forgot you have alltek mpu. I think they have LEDs to show that the 5 and 12v are present? If they do and they are not lighting it may be a power supply or solenoid driver problem. Always start by checking voltages at power supply rectifier board if ok check solenoid driver voltages. Be careful of the high volt areas of both boards. Test point values are listed on pinwiki.com.

#1325 3 years ago

That actually looks pretty good from what I have seen before. Looks like the bridge rectifiers are original? New ones are 4 times the size and mount on the front of the board. Did you do a voltage test yet?

#1337 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I installed new 1 through 5 drop targets. The job was a lot easier than I anticipated. The drop targets work great now.
I also installed a new set of rubber rings.
The game is playing pretty fast now.
My next project will be rebuilding the flippers, installing some new light sockets, and installing LED lights. For the LED’s, is there a consensus opinion about cool white, warm white, frosted, or blue/purple LEDs?

I did warm white frosted in GIs except for some purple in the maze area. Color matched all switched lamps.

Just a heads up if using an Alltek led/lamp driver board, you will need to cut 2 wires on the jumper harness that goes between lamp driver and speech board. If you don't do this, I think unwanted voltage will be sent to speech board. The directions with the Alltek will explain it. There's also a jumper wire that needs to be added and comes w the board.

#1342 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I checked the TP’s on the rectifier board and they all checked out. So should i be moving to the solenoid driver board and checking those test points next?

Yes. Resets during a game are a good indication that the 5v regulator is going bad. It's the large silver transistor in the center of the large heatsink on sol driver. LM323 I believe.

#1345 3 years ago

I haven’t run into any bad LM323 regulators yet. I have had to replace the large 5V capacitor on almost all the boards I’ve fixed as well as replacing some headers with worn or sanded off plating.
Not saying that the LM323 never go bad but I’ve had more issues with old caps and bad connections (including cold/cracked solder joints) than anything else. Also an occasional bad diode on a coil. I’d check all these first before the regulator.

Yeah I was going by my own experience. When I had a xenon the regulator went bad. But as you say, there are many possibilities.

#1349 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Here are my readings on the test points. All but TP2 and TP4 seem to be way off. Does this narrow anything down?
SDU
TP1 -.47
TP2 193
TP3 -.47
TP4 253
TP5 -26
TP6 -.46
TP7 -.47
Thanks as always

Actually TP 2 and 4 are ok. They are the high voltages for the score displays. Your TP5 is high, but I have seen that before. Go on the Pinwiki.com site, Bally/Stern section 3.21 has TP values for all the boards. Since you have a Alltek MPU and have random issues, I would look at the connectors.

#1353 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I disconnected all the connectors except the one 20 pin on the solenoid driver board, and am not appearing to get anything other than the high voltage on the test points. First I was going to ask if it would be really lame to just buy a modern solenoid driver board, like the “Ultimate” one on Marco’s website, and repair the old board in my spare time, and use it for the Hotdoggin’ project machine that I can only hope to someday have. But now, I’m wondering if it would be lame to buy a new board, because there was nothing wrong with it, as my problem was a bad diode on a coil, and not the PCB at all.
Also, can someone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to test diodes on a coil. You don’t have to remove the diode do you? Thanks as always.

Yes one leg of diode must be clipped or unsoldered. A good 1N4004 or 4148 should read approximately. 065 volts in one direction and 0 in other. If your meter has a diode setting, use it. If not I think mv voltage setting should work.

Not lame to buy alltek. Especially if you plan to repair original for future use. Overhaul kits available from Big Daddy Ent. Ground mods on pinwiki.

How did a bad diode cause problems? What problems are you having? Usually a bad coil diode will blow PF fuse.

#1364 3 years ago
Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Anyone have a good color match for the Blue on the cabinet ?

The game for Mt avatar was painted w Rustoleum safety blue and safety yellow. The blue was a tad darker.

#1374 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm going to order some new light sockets to replace a bunch that appear to be corroded or spin a bunch when I try to get the bulbs in and out.
I did look at the green 2nd Stage Go light by the 5 dropdown targets and it definitely has a White with Blue Stripe wire feeding it.
I couldn't tell for sure, but the 2nd Stage Go light up in the ball locker appeared to have a different color wire. The manual says they both should be white with blue stripe.
Besides that I got both of my spinners working awesome last night. The ball locker spinner on the left was not spinning well and getting stuck. I took it apart, used some steel wool on the spinner target arms, then the smallest drop of automatic transmission fluid at the pivot points. Both spinners revolve a very long time now and stop/fall back to a vertical position.
Here is another issue. On my slingshot/kickers the kicker arm mechanism seems very wobbly. Lots of play in the kicker arm connection points. How much slop is supposed to be in those? I'm thinking I need to get replacements or else install some washers in the joints to take up the slack.
Thanks for everyone's help getting this game running and maximizing the fun. It is a great game to play and very challenging.

Like other Stern metal parts the metal was crappy on the kickers. The holes on the kickers that go over the shaft for the pivot egg out and cause the excessive slop. Unfortunately this is an obsolete part. When they are really bad, I add a flat washer to the shaft to help minimize the extra play.

#1377 3 years ago

I'm not sure. It might depend on the opening on the pf and space under pf to mount it. Different coil? Or the amount of travel versus original.

If anything I would try the Williams slings that don't have the plastic piece on top like High speed.

1 week later
#1389 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Just did a good sized order at gpe.
Correct fuses on the way.
Thx for the help.

Just an FYI here. I have worked on a ton of these early solid state Ball and Stern games and I have noticed the PF fuse clips can be oxidized and clips get weak. This causes excessive resistance and heat. If your replacement fuse feels loose or can spin easily, I would replace the fuse holder. I change these on every swap.

#1390 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Our Flight 2000 developed a major problem today. Here is what happens.
1. Start a game. Ball #1 gets ejected from the outhole.
1. Get Ball#1 into the ball locker. First Stage Go. Next ball gets ejected from the outhole.
2. Get next ball into the ball locker. Second Stage Go. Next ball gets ejected from the outhole.
3. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
4. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
After a few times of doing this the game ends.
So what's going on here? I have no idea what is wrong or how to trouble shoot it.
We have checked the ball trough switches and they seem fine.
The self-test switch in the coin door seems like everything tests fine.
I would appreciate any guidance that any of you Flight 2000 experts could provide.
Thank you.

Need more info, when 3rd ball drains, does the game add bonus points? When you say 5 ball drop target solenoid activates, does it reset all targets and drop the targets that were dropped by previous ball? It kind of seems that the outhole switch may be stuck closed and simulating end of game.

#1404 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Sounds like I need to order some diodes and solder. Haha.
I assume Great Plains Electronics is the place to get these?
Is the 1n4007 diode that play_pinball used the thing for me to buy?
Sorry about all the questions. I'm new to all of this.
I just watched a video of a guy testing diodes with a multi-meter. His diodes were not connected to anything. Do I need to unsolder the diodes before testing them, or can they be tested still on the switch?

Correct diode is 1N4004, but the 4007 should work. if your meter doesn't have a diode test setting, I think you can use the volt meter set on MV to test. A good diode will show about 60 MV in one direction and 0 in the other. I would also do a physical check on the leaf blades for any shorts. Make sure the insulator(fish paper), if any, or not worn.

If diode on sw 33 micro tests good, the micro may have failed, they do go bad occasionally. I think you can rob one from an old coin door if you have any. You just need to change the trip wire.

#1407 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks Lovef2k, I ordered 50 1N4004 diodes!

Anytime! So glad Pinside is back!

#1418 3 years ago

I repinned my entire game at time of restore. Been rock solid for the last 6 years. We'll worth the effort.

1 week later
#1423 2 years ago

Congrats, I wonder why someone doubled up the rubbers on the sling shots...

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from Randy_G:

thank you Lovef2k
got it 10 minutes from my house as an estate sale was finishing up...great deal!

That's awesome, especially since people selling pins think they're worth a mint.

#1428 2 years ago
Quoted from Randy_G:

It's one heavy SOB!

Oh it's heavy! Wide body plus 2 inches longer than standard Stern cab of that era. I'm guessing that the connector plugs for the rectifier board are just as bad as the header pins? I would get the nvram.weebly board but it looks like the fully assembled boards are out of stock, bummer. Hopefully be back soon. You should definitely replace the connectors and housings for the rectifier board.

Do the MPU LED light do anything when throwing power on? Has the MPU battery leaked?

#1449 2 years ago

Try grounding the coil with a jumper wire. Cab ground to coil lug. If fires most likely bad transistor or connector.

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

None of it makes any sense to me at this point.
Anybody want to buy a broken Flight 2000 that works occasionally?

How much lol?

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Yes, grounding the transistor Q14 fires the coil.
On game start, drops continually reset. shooter lane coil doesn't fire, if ball is moved out of trough lane into shooter lane. Drops stop resetting. Wiring around the drop targets seems fine also. Confused

Read sections 3.9.2, 3.9.3 and 3.9.4 on pinwiki.com Bally/Stern section. This may help narrow this down.

#1472 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

This is my first post and I have to share about my new replacement speech board VSU-2. I had my Flight 2000 for about 10 years. Took me about 2 years to slowly restore it. About 3 years ago I was messing around with fuses on rectifier board and shorted it. Replaced lamp board, sound board, but could not get it to talk. I just purchased and installed this new VSU-2 replacement. Speech is back, as generic, I cant tell any difference. And also the endless humming noise is 99% Gone. I can actually turn the volume to my likes and the background sound is all gone. Just super exited. I want to thank to Glodstone LLC for making them, knowing, it wont sell in Thousands. Only about 6 machines have this board. [quoted image]

I googled this and came up with nothing. Are these for sale to the GP?

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from gamatron2000:

Cheers! F2K is one of my (our?) favorite games, and our first pin. I'm super thrilled that we could help bring yours back to life!

Just ordered mine. This will complete my 2015 f2k award winning restore. Although the original vsu100 is working fine its nice to now I have a backup now.

#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

Lovef2k its good to know another Flight2000 close to me

Well not that close, I'm in south Jersey but I wouldn't mine being in the upper Midwest closer to the home of pinball , well except it's too damn cold there lol.

#1505 2 years ago

I have zero hum coming from my f2k. I think it comes from a ground issue. I am still using stock sound and speech boards but I have recapped the sound board. Also repinned entire game's connectors.

One improvement I made was to the ground strap from the head going to the grounding plate behind the boards. The strap just had a single staple there so I added a screw to make a tighter connection. All boards are screwed down and grounded.

Another cause may be from the large caps on sol driver causing some feedback imo.

Make sure your cab grounds are solid and most importantly the AC plug has it's ground prong. You can also try grounding the speaker frame. I don't think Stern did that lime Bally did.

#1514 2 years ago

Got my new VSU2. 2 days from order to delivery. Great service from Glodstone. I can't wait to try it out.

#1517 2 years ago

I have trouble getting BLAST OFF on a 5 ball game let alone 3 ball. F2k can be a drain monster sometimes. That upper left kicker shoots ball to right outline gets be often and makes me so mad lol.

But every once in a while there's that game where everything falls into place and you have great game. My high score is in the 6 million range so far.

#1521 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

6 million sounds crazy. The saved high score on our machine is over 5 million. My son's goal is to beat that score.
I didn't realize people play on the 5 ball setting. What other dip switch settings do you use?
I think ours is set to all the standard settings.

Yeah 5 ball is for wimps but it's my game lol. I also set awards for extra balls instead of free games to make the game last as long as possible.

#1529 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

so after i went through and tweaked it up my gal, as usual, destroyed me on the first game. We do play all of our games on 5-ball but they are insanely fast. I'm a pretty decent player and usually dont break 600k-700k.
[quoted image]

3 of my favorites in your pic. I'm jelly

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

seeing you and your f2k at pinfest quite a long time ago inspired me!
RB

If I change one life for the better it's all worth it. Hope to see you in July. F2k is staying home this time. It's set up in the mancave now and I don't want to move her.

If I can get it finished in time, I'm bringing a nice HS with a new hardtop and possibly a Spy Hunter.

1 month later
#1551 2 years ago

If you install new eos switches be sure to clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol. Sometimes they have oily residue on them from factory. This will add resistance that you don't want.

#1562 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Machine is having big problems now. My son turned it on and the speaker makes a big gumming noise and the mpu doesn’t do the 7 beeps. Guess I’ll look at the power rectifier board fuses next. I think the general illumination was coming on still.

How many beeps are you getting at power up, if any?

#1572 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Is it normal for the flipper relay to spark? When the right flipper is pressed the game works and there is no spark in the flipper relay. When we press the left flipper, there is a spark in the flipper relay and the machine reboots.

Relay shouldn't spark. Might be time to replace it.

#1573 2 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Do these ground mods have the effect of quieting excess game noise? My game plays fine but has a noisy humm while on. It’s not horrible but all my other pins are basically silent while on and compared to that it’s a bit noisy.

Typical of old Stern and Bally games. First see if the hum is coming from speaker or actually from the transformer vibrating. If it's the transformer, try tightening the mounting bolts and screws. Maybe even adding rubber washers between the L brackets and plywood base.

If it's speaker, make sure all boards are grounded to the back box brackets with screws. Make sure the ground braid strap is connected to the back box ground braid. Replace AC plug if ground prong is broken or missing. Not only for noise but for safety reasons. If none of these help, try re-capping the sound and speech board. Replace or ground the speaker. That's about all I can think of.

1 week later
#1596 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I think there is a mod that can be made on the sound board for the screeching sound at startup on these. I have the same issue on mine. pretty sure that screech is there naturally but there's a circuit that blanks out the audio on startup. I will see if i can find the post about it.

I only get the "belch" when I use the Twobits or Alltek MPU, original MPU, no belch.

1 week later
#1599 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

This afternoon I decided to look at my lamp driver board on my Flight 2000. I am having these two issues: a. The second stage go light below the 5 drop targets is always illuminated. b. The shoot again light is always illuminated.
I'm new to reading schematics, but it looks like the Q52 transistor handles the second stage go and Q13 transistor handles shoot again.
For the first time ever, I removed the Q52 transistor and Q13 transistors. I've never worked on a lamp board before. I replaced the transistors with MCR106-6 transistors and that whole process seemed to go fine.
After putting the lamp driver board back in the machine, the two lamps continue to be illuminated all the time.
Does anyone have other suggestions to help my troubleshooting? The MCR106-6 transistor is different than the MCR-106-1 and 2N5060 listed on the schematic. Is it possible I put the MCR-106-6's in backwards with the legs going to the wrong spots on the board?
Thanks for the help.

They may be backwards. Can you attach pics of them installed? Why the 106-6 were these suggested somewhere on the group? I would double check the specs of the new scr transistor compared to the originals . I do know there are npn and pnp transistors so it's possible they are different in that respect.

It may also be another issue somewhere on the board perhaps. Shorted header pins or other bad component on the board. Even a short in the wiring harness under pf. I had a locked on lamp on ebd and it was a short in the harness.

#1603 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Something tells me the schematic might be in error and it's not Q52. The 2N5060 SCRs are used to control single lamps because of their lower current capability. The MCR106's are used to control one or more lamps. Both "Second Stage Go" lamps are listed as being driven by the same SCR so it doesn't make sense that it would be from a 2N5060 SCR.
Can you confirm both "Second Stage Go" lamps on the playfield have a white-blue wire and does it match the colored wire on the lamp driver board at connector J2 pin 5 (i.e. white-blue)?
A certain error is the "Special Lane Top" lamp is listed as coming from J2 pin 30 which doesn't even exist!

It appears that Quench is right again. I just looked at my game. I have an Alltek driver and pins are labeled for each scr by number which makes it easy to ID them. On my game, The lower left 2nd stage go has a yellow wire with blue hash marks, But in the backbox, there is a yellow/blue wire going to J2 pin 6 which is Q30 and another of the same colors to J3 pin 17 Q 49. I will have to buzz them out to see which one actually goes to the lamp but it's almost bedtime for me. Q30 is a 2N5060, Q49 MCR-106.

The upper 2nd stage go lamp has a blue wire with white hash marks as shown on schematic but it does not go to Q52, it's going to J2 pin 4 Q39. To make this more confusing, according to schematic, Q39 is connected (by jumper?) to J2 pin 4 and J3 pin 24, also labeled Q39 but mine has a black/blue wire there. Q39 is a 2N5060. I also just noticed by schematic, J2 pin 5 is jumpered to J3 pin 13 but there is no wire at this location on my game. My lamps are working 100%.

#1605 2 years ago

From your previous photo, note the number 28 by the header pins on J1. At the other end there is a 1. this where you count the pins from, from the bottom and go up. Note the key also counts as a pin number so include that when you count. I would trace the wire from lamp to connector and buzz out between them with continuity setting on meter. I found 2 yellow/blue wires at the lamp driver board in my game so I don't know which one is for the 2nd stage go.

I do know that the wire colors in he schematic are wrong. Refer to my previous post for Q#'s

#1608 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I think I might have corrected the Apollo 2 Second Stage Go light problem. After looking at the connectors and wire colors it traced it back to the Q30 SCR. I did the diode test on Q30 and it was reading really low. So I swapped in another SCR and it appears to be working just fine now.
My last remaining problem is the Shoot Again light is continuously illuminated. I'll dig into that one next.

Getting there. It's probably the same problem with the shoot again lamp.

#1612 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I am thinking about back when the shoot again light problem began and I am wondering if I created the problem myself? The shoot again light was working properly. However about a month or two ago, I was looking at the back side of the backbox lights and trying to replace all the burned-out or non-functional bulbs. I noticed that a light on the back box was not coming on and it looked like the light socket was not connected to the general illumination string of lights. So I jumped a wire over to the socket to get it working.
I need to look at this again tonight, but I'm wondering if I connected that controlled shoot again light socket on the backbox to the general illumination by mistake? If so, is it possible that this is also back feeding to the shoot again lamp on the playfield?
I'll report back what I see tonight.

That would mean that the backbox shoot again is always lit as well?

#1616 2 years ago

You were correct earlier, it's Q3 which controls shoot again on PF and backglass, gry/red wire to both. If you undid the connection you made in the backbox, and neither of these lamps are lighting, you most likely smoked Q3 from that mistake.

It's a common assumption that bare wire on pins is ground, sometimes it is, for eg. one side of GI wiring is ground. On early Bally/Stern games the controlled(switched or feature) lamps are switched from the negative side, therefor the trace wire between is the hot side. On the inside of the lamp panel there's little space to run a bare wire to the switched lamps, so there is a separate feed wire for the hot side, so these sockets have 2 wires going to them usually.

#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks guys. Glad that I'm reading schematics properly and Q3 is the correct SCR. I have replaced that SCR once and the shoot again lamp on the playfield is stuck on all the time. For the back box, there is a gray with red dashed wire that has been cut and a new length of wire soldered to it to get to the shoot again lamp. There are no other control wires from the wire harness that go to that lamp for some reason. It looks like something happened here before it came to my ownership. I tried running another wire to ground on the other side of the lamp, but it isn't working. I did solder that lamp to the backbox GI by mistake a while ago, so the backbox shoot again light was also on all the time.
Should I replace the Q3 SCR again?

If you soldered that wire after changing q3 then yeah I would. The ground side of socket for shoot again backbox on my game has a black wire to it. When I get home I take a pic.

#1620 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Here's a pic I have in my files. I think this is the Shoot Again lamp.. DanMarino = Check for the missing black wire.
Edit- looks like that black wire connects to another controlled lamp at the bottom
[quoted image]

correct, mine is the same. Shoot again daisy chained to the tilt lamp which is jumpered to the match lamp.

#1622 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Awesome guys! Thanks much. I'll try to replicate that setup this weekend.
I'm still not quite sure I understand how the backbox shoot again lamp is controlled. In the photo, it looks like the gray with red dashed wire comes over to the lamp socket from the top wire harness.
Then a black controlled wire comes across from the Tilt lamp below and attaches to the same point on the shoot again lamp?

The shoot again backbox is controlled just as the pf lamps. In this case the Gry/rd wire is the switching wire from the lamp driver. Since the switched lamps and GI are a separate circuit, they are wired separately. Although some of the bare jumper wire looks similar to GI wiring. You have to be able to differentiate these wires. On F2k, the backbox switched lamps are all controlled by a grey wire with different colored hash marks. Since there's limited space on the backbox lamp panel to run bare trace wire, the switched lamps are connected individually on the common side but they are part of a paralleled circuit of the switched lamps.

To break this down, you have 3 total circuits on the panel, 2 GI and 1 SW lamps. One GI is powered by the red and white wires dead center between players 1 and 2 displays. The second GI circuit is powered by the orange and green wires about 12 inches below that. The switched lamp power feed(bus) starts at the game over lamp with 2 blue wires. From there you should have continuity to the common side of between all 5 switched lamps.

Your wire was most likely broken and repaired on the shoot again lamp as you mentioned. Probably because the wire wasn't very secure from factory and god only knows what the game as been through in 40+ years. Why they used a black wire when the other 4 SW lamps have a blue power feed was probably cost savings. But it makes it confusing. Power down the game before checking continuity.

#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Wow! You guys are geniuses. Thank you LoveF2k, emsrph, and Quench! I would be lost without you. My Flight 2000 had no wire connecting the backbox Shoot Again lamp to the Tilt Lamp. I soldered a wire between the two and that resolved all the Shoot Again problems. Now, both the playfield and backbox shoot again lamps are off and then blink when a ball gets locked in the ball walker and a new ball is ejected out to the plunger.

Awsome, they will also light and stay lit when awarded an extra ball if you have it set that way.

#1630 2 years ago

I would start with the self diagnostic switch test. All balls have to be removed and all drop targets reset in up position for this test. With game in attract mode, press self test 5 times to enter switch test. Switch numbers will be displayed in each of the player score displays. If you get a 0 then all switches good. If you see a number, refer to manual or chart in cab for the corresponding switch. It sounds like your out hole switch is stuck closed to me. I think anyway.

#1634 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Switch #33 Out Hole (Right) is activated in the test. I have the old style ball trough. The leaf switch for Out Hole (Right) looks open to me with the balls out. The manual says Out Hole (Right) is a brown wire at J2-8.
I removed the J2 connector from the MPU and did the switch test again and got a 0.
[quoted image]

Actually it looks like you have the later style out hole kicker. Either way the matrix works the same way. I think you WILL get a 0 with the connector removed since you're removing the matrix from the MPU. It looks like the switch was replaced recently? New diode as well? Check the solder tabs and make sure they are not touching each other. While the switch is showing in test mode, loosen the stack screws and see if anything changes. Make sure the stack was assembled correctly, sometimes blade stiffener can short the leaf blades. If that doesn't help, clip diode and test it, should read about 60 to 70 Mv in one direction, 0 the other.

#1636 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Played for an hour solid. Only blasted off once with 3 ball games. The game did not shut down on me like before.
Latest problem is that the right flipper is getting stuck some. The entire flipper assembly is about a month old. The flipper bat is old though. I can't tell if it is getting magnetized or if is is binding mechanically. I got out the allen wrench and tried to adjust it some, but it is still sticking. It sticks up about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch and then works it's way back down as I'm playing.
That's all for now. Major problem fixed with a minor adjustment. Now a minor problem.

That's good but strange. Let's hope it stays this way.

I remember from your previous pics on this thread that the coil stop on the flipper was not centered screwed through the flipper plate into the playfield. If the coil stop is pitched, it may cause the plunger to shift instead of hitting flush. Also the coil may have swelled from getting hot at one point and this will cause some binding of the plunger. Have you replaced the coil sleeve and/or return spring?

4 weeks later
#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

There's a nice looking Flight 2000 included in the upcoming Museum of Pinball auction. Would you care to speculate on what it may sell for? My simple guess is that it, and other early SS games go for reasonably "true" prices. Unlike, for example, later games like Addams Family.
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/80/lot/19585?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F80%3Fpage%3D10%26fbclid%3DIwAR3HDvwK4R5C_bcl7L2IX5q9nNTXxY8vr30Hq7ETw-8KFi9IVCBm-cB1fRY
For that matter, I wonder if it will be possible to find out what it sold for?

It's hard to say. I'm seeing crazy prices for classic Sterns these days. I missed a Big Game that came up on the FB market place for $475. A friend sent the link to me but I was working.

1 month later
#1669 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Thanks, I will prob get a new one though. I CC'd my pf and restored the coin door. At some point I may get to the cab and finish it.

The cpr f2k glass is one of their better repros. They have done about 3 runs so far. I bought a few over the years. Have one in current game.

#1672 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Sad sight
[quoted image]

SH*t happens, good thing the PF glass was in!

3 weeks later
#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from SpartanC:

Found this rubber piece in the backbox, any idea if it belongs to the game?
Thanks
[quoted image]

Not that I ever saw.

2 months later
#1721 2 years ago
Quoted from Ky1ebasa:

My F2K has been working fine since I got it a few years ago, however now I'm having an issue with my countdown drop targets. They continuously drop in sequence, which to me would indicate one of the inlane/outlane rollovers is shorted, but there is plenty of gap between the contacts. Are there other switches that spot the lit countdown drops? Could this be a board problem maybe? Not sure where to look next.

I would run the switch test in self diagnostic mode. All balls removed and drop targets reset. I think it's 5 presses of self test button inside coin door. Manual explains the process.

#1726 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballlarry1:

And the previous owner installed Pinscore displays![quoted image]
There are four player 7 digit displays and one 6 digit display for the credit/match.
However, the 6 digit display for the credit/match look misaligned when the backglass is installed. The digits are not centered in the two windows.[quoted image] I swapped in one of the 7 digit displays and it looks perfect with the backglass installed[quoted image]
Anyone know if I am crazy or which display should be in credit/match slot?
And it looks like the carrier trays are mounted behind the panel not on the front.

6 digit for the match/ball display. Stern games have the tray mounted on the back because the Stern displays are wider than bally. You can move the trays to the front side.

#1727 2 years ago

And the previous owner installed Pinscore displays![quoted image]
There are four player 7 digit displays and one 6 digit display for the credit/match.
However, the 6 digit display for the credit/match look misaligned when the backglass is installed. The digits are not centered in the two windows.[quoted image] I swapped in one of the 7 digit displays and it looks perfect with the backglass installed[quoted image]
Anyone know if I am crazy or which display should be in credit/match slot?
And it looks like the carrier trays are mounted behind the panel not on the front.

Here's my game with Pinscore displays and a CPR back glass. As you can see my match digits don't line up with the window. I usually have the match feature turned off since it's home use. There is a little room to move the tray to the right, just shy of a 1/4 inch. You can see the holes in the lamp panel go all the way through so you can easily move the tray to the front side and still remain at the original locations. My player 1 and 2 are cut off at the top. The foam gasket supplied with the displays is sagging due to age. I never compared the windows on the CPR to the original glass, which I don't have any more. The white background of the unused digits annoys me and I should just cover them w black electrical tape.

P1010095 (resized).JPGP1010095 (resized).JPGP1010096 (resized).JPGP1010096 (resized).JPGP1010097 (resized).JPGP1010097 (resized).JPGP1010098 (resized).JPGP1010098 (resized).JPG
#1731 2 years ago

You are correct that both versions of the display schematic are in the manual. Mine shows the 6-digit version dates to 5-1979 and the 7-digit version is dated 1-1980. I believe that all displays should be 7-digit.
Now onto the general cleanup of that nasty brownish yellow stuff on the outside of the cabinet, spinner decals, and the drop target assemblies.

Should be? Yes maybe. But they actually used a 6 digit for match/ball. Up to 1979 all the scores and match/ball were only 6 digit displays. Until Meteor I think. That's why the manual states that. The original 6 digit display looked fine in these games. Maybe because they are less apparent or the spacing was different.

#1734 2 years ago

Dug deeper into the Marco website and found the Pinscore hardware set available the $4, so I added these to my latest order for F2K including decals, a few more LED lamps, flipper rebuild kit, another 7 digit Pinscore, metal acorn nuts, etc. The more I get hands on the more little things I find to correct. Being the newbie to this group, I want to thank the more senior members for providing knowledge and expertise. I have only dealt with Williams, Bally and Data East over the past 25 years, this is my first classic Stern and so far I like it. If I post too many pictures and repairs I make, let me know and I will cut back.

The more the merrier. Your pics some day, somewhere or somehow will help somebody down the road.

1 week later
#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Sadly left f2k club yesterday.
Space and funds needed after putting
Deposit down on Alien.
Loved my game. Sold it to
My boss and her husband.
Helped load and setup at their house.
They are excited about it and looks great
in their basement bar.
Will definitely miss it.

The good thing about selling a pin to someone you know is that you it's going to a good home usually and you may have a chance to buy it back some day.

#1738 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The good thing about selling a pin to someone you know is that you it's going to a good home usually and you may have a chance to buy it back some day.

Know

2 months later
#1801 2 years ago

I had a similar problem with a CPR PF. The original PF had grooves in the opening of the switch slot, the CPR is more flat and with the added clear coat, the ball was hanging up. I ended up sanding a groove in the clear to help the ball roll down freely.

#1804 2 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Good job! I've replaced around 60 sockets in my F2K. I don't know if Stern did anything special, but their 80s light sockets seem to get pretty unreliable after all these years. You can look forward to some awkward locations for replacement sooner or later.

Bally 70's and 80's lamp sockets are no better, I think with age, the insulating material at the base of the socket dry-rots and shrinks causing the socket to become loose.

2 weeks later
#1813 1 year ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

OK. I'm pretty sure I checked that one for continuity. Is it as simple as that or does a slow blow work differently?

You can check it the same as a fast blow fuses. Set meter to contuity test.

#1830 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

How would I go about "reclinching" the brass so it doesn't spin around? What tools are needed? What is the best method? I just bought a supply of replacement lamp sockets, but curious how a repair of the original could be attempted?

You can't. The insulator dries out from age and creates slop between the base and the bracket. I have seen where the wires have been soldered directly to the brass tabs but I would just replace the socket.

4 weeks later
#1836 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Ok, so I just picked up a flight 2000. It came with NVRAM. But it won’t hold high scores if powered down for over an hour. I went through and cleared all audits and then was doing fine. But left off overnight and now high scores are not there. Only some random numbers with spaces. Game plays like it should. Starts games even though no number present in credits. Any thoughts?

Check switch 20 on the MPU dip switches. With machine off, move #20 to the on position to allow credit display. If it is already on, then you may have a bad display.

1 week later
#1845 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

For those of you who've been on here a while, you'll recall our discussion of F2Ks which make a loud "burp" on power-up. For non-related reasons, I just installed an Alltek SDU in mine, already equipped with Alltek MPU and Lamp Driver boards. Now the burp is gone!
Any thoughts?

I have all Alltek boards in mine, minus the sound, speech and rectifier boards. Mine has a wicked burp at power up but when going back to original mpu 200, no burp.

Do you have repro sound and/or speech boards in your game? I bought that new vsu board but have yet to install it.

2 weeks later
#1853 1 year ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Have a F2K with a new CPR playfield swapped in. The oddities from the swap seem to be addressed but I wasn't sure if this is a characteristic of the game or I need to make some adjustments. The slingshots and the slings on the sides of the playfield are causing quite a few airballs, does that sound normal or do I need to make an adjustment of some kind?

There's no adjustment really. Do your slings have a lot of slop-wear? I added nylon washers on mine to minimize play from side to side. My pf is not a CPR but it was re-screened and clear by CPR. I also swapped a CPR on a restore I did 10 years ago and don't recall any air balls. On my current game, I do have an occasional phantom hit on the upper left sling, different issue. What type of rubbers are you using. You could try doubling the rubbers or adding a plastic washer under the posts to raise the height of the rubber.

#1856 1 year ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

I did notice I have different posts for those areas, I will need to check the heights on them. It does look like the rubber would hit the ball on the upper 1/3 so maybe it's instead pinching the ball into the playfield or something. Will try and check height tonight.
I also forgot to mention that I have a wireform under the right plastic leading into the flipper but not the left. Is that common or has this game lost a wireform during it's history?

I was going to ask if the posts were original. F2K has two different sizes but the space between the rubber and PF should be the same on both.

Wire form lost or broken. Since you have a CPR, the dimples should be there. If I'm not mistaking, the wire forms were added later in the run to keep the flipper return plastics from breaking. It doesn't help with ball jumping over though.

#1862 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I used cardboard as well and held it on with binder clips! Hack city!
Now that I think about it that's probably my EBD not the F2k.

I did similar on EBD. I added washers on the lower plate to raise the drops. Held in place with electrical tape. I wanted to do something more permanent but wanted to be able to undo if necessary. Also hack city! The 84 EBD has the adjustable plate for 7 bank but I'm having a hard time finding one.

#1866 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Can someone please send me a picture of the J1 connection on this board below the playfield?
[quoted image]

From a F2K. This has a later reproduction rectifier board with an extra pin at the far right. It isn't used on some of these games, if any.

From left to right, pin 1, solid red wire, pin 3, solid blue wire, pin 6, blue- white wire pin 7 solid green wire, and pin 8 solid white.

File579 (resized).jpgFile579 (resized).jpg
#1878 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

Thanks, we'll figure this out --
1. At first glance, I'm not sure why this would be intermittent behavior.
2. I also don't see why the 2nd ball is already PAST the 2nd switch -- is it the wrong BEND in the switch in that the 45' angle happens too late, and so it's not LONG enough 5% of the time and slips out over the ball? Cause 95%+ of the time everything works fine. I need to just get in there with the apron off and watch, haha

The micro might be on its way out. You can rob a micro from a coin door if you don't have a spare. Dirt or wear on pf not letting the ball to roll freely? Wire form may need adjustment.

That screw on other post may have been added to stop the balls from rolling back to the left. I had that issue on a previous game where the balls would bounce to the left when the outhole fired. I think it was a cpr pf.

#1879 1 year ago

Something to try, put game in switch test mode w apron removed, keep letting ball roll over the switch to see if it misses occasionally.

#1886 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone seen the ball hopping over the return lanes issue?
I feel like I need a double-decker flipper return lane in this game. I get a ball jump every 20 games or so. It's not cool.
I need to take some video. Not sure whether it's the angle of the flipper, or the height of the flipper return frame height or a combo...

Happens to me too.

1 week later
#1898 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Interesting; that post is actually referring to the machine screws through the nylon bushing beneath the fingertip in the photo. Mine don't have nuts on those either.
It's really tricky to get the two nuts tight on the flipper coil sleeve bracket, 'cause they're so close to each other.

I love my Sterns but the hardware and metal they used was horrible. I can't understand the 6-32 screws for flippers.

I can't remember if the coil bracket or the base plate is threaded. I think in a home setting with external tooth lock washers on the screws, nuts are optional.

#1911 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Still flippers, but different issue: Once in a bunch of flips, my right flipper provokes the upper left slingshot kicker to fire weakly. I noticed it sometime after I replaced the original solenoid driver board with a new Alltek one recently.
I'm thinking I should start by checking the diodes on the right flipper solenoid. Is that a resonable beginning?

It sounds like a phantom switch closure. My upper left sling fires alot when playing a game.

#1916 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Could the violence of the flipper motion vibrate a solder joint or connection?

It could but I have the switches gapped far enough apart to prevent that. I have had this issue on games after doing pf swaps and I don't know why. On bally games it is a pop bumper phantom. I tapped on pf and side of cab and the pops or slings don't activate, but do when flippers are.

#1922 1 year ago

I read on other threads that adding capacitors to the flipper switches helps reduce the phantom hits. I haven't tried it yet but easy enough to do.

#1925 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Here's a bit more data: the phantom kick occurs very predictably if I hold either flipper up to trap a ball, and then release the flipper gradually (as compared to instantaneously).
Thoughts? Would adding caps to the flipper buttons help?
As always, I appreciate the help!

I'm not 100% sure about this. I read I think on the ebd thread that it's some kind of feedback or electromagnetic field that causes this. I do know that on a higher voltage circuit the arc occurs when the connection is broken not made. So releasing the flipper button slowly may be cause a longer or stronger arc?

The weird thing is that it only happens to me after doing pf swaps. I always add new diodes to all of the switches and new caps. I wonder if today's parts have something to do with it. Inferior components? IDK.

Adding the caps is a cheap way to see if it helps. If not, at least it may prolong the life of the flipper switches.

There's more on this subject somewhere here on pinside. I need to find it.

1 month later
#1942 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks, I'll try to take a look at it this weekend. I just thought it really strange that the Apollo 2 light worked for player #2, but not for player #1.

It could be because you as player 1 already had 2 balls in the staging area. Player 2 would have to lock a ball there 2 times to light Apollo 2 even if there are 2 balls locked already.

#1943 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It could be because you as player 1 already had 2 balls in the staging area. Player 2 would have to lock a ball there 2 times to light Apollo 2 even if there are 2 balls locked already.

Nevermind I read it wrong. You were player 2.

4 weeks later
#1951 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yes, but was thinking 1/16" narrower. I don't have an old glass to compare with, and this wide body is different dimensions than the Paragon or Future Spa I have. I'll probably go with the Marcos dimensions if I don't get a confirmation from anyone here who owns a Flight 2000.

I'll measure mine. I have a couple of extra sheets.

#1953 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'll measure mine. I have a couple of extra sheets.

My glass isn't factory but fits perfectly, a smidge under 24 5/8 wide and 45 11/16 long. My glass has no side to side wiggle room, so anything 1/16 to 1/8 less in width than this should be fine.

#1957 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Just removed mine and measured it:
45 1/2" X 24 1/2"
No slop, but I notice the Marco glass is 1/4" longer. Since that's under the lockdown bar, it has room for variance:
[quoted image]

Yes but not that much. The lockdown bar itself has a lip to keep the glass from sliding down. Your pic looks good as glass just passes the lip of the receiver which acts as a support for the front edge of the glass.

#1961 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Just ordered the glass from local shop. Tempered clear 24-1/2" x 45-5/8" x 3/16 with seamed edges. $97 including tax.

Not a terrible price for the way things are today.

#1968 1 year ago

Congrats! F2K was also my first pin. It has changed my life forever because I'm doing full restores now since 2009.

Yes the backbox trim is def MDF board. I have replaced mine with solid Poplar.

In switch test, did you remove all balls and reset the drop targets?

File800 (resized).jpgFile800 (resized).jpgFile819 (resized).jpgFile819 (resized).jpgFile832 (resized).jpgFile832 (resized).jpg
#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Often there's a switch capacitor on stand ups... Cut it off. See if that helps. If it does replace it but it's not strictly needed. It's purpose is to lengthen short switch hits.

I was wondering if there was a cap there, couldn't remember.

#1972 1 year ago
Quoted from gleegum:

I love the art of this machine. Thanks for the photos, they are very helpful, I didn't know that MDF was that old, I thought it was a more modern material. Do you have any tips on removing the trim without damaging the backbox? Is it glued and nailed?
I did the switch test without any balls and the drop targets in the reset position, this problem appears only when the machine is warm, otherwise it shows "O" on the switch test.

Ok, gonna cut those caps and report back, thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, screwed and glued. The nails are ring shanked. IIRC, it didn't take much effort to remove them. If you are saving the top piece, be careful not to split it. Mine had 3 nails at the top of the side trim going into the top trim. I wouldn't worry as much about the glue. It was used sparingly and most likely dried and brittle by now.

The sides were not cheap to make since it is a tapered cut. I had them done at a woodworking shop. If you go this route, make the lower ends just a tad longer and adjust as necessary. You want the side trim to be flush with bottom of head.

3 weeks later
#2031 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hey Kevlar, mine does that too. As slochar says, it's a feature.
Out of curiosity, does your machine "burp" loudly when you power it on? That's another feature of many early Sterns.

Mine too, same sling. Also have the burp but not w the factory mpu only Alltek and Two bits boards

1 week later
#2050 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Slight occasional problem on my machine, a few times when passing balls through the full ball lock, all the walker fingers have dropped but the lowest ball just sits there because it's bounced back off the finger and sat in the groove. This ends with 2 balls stuck in the lowest part of the lock. I've tried making the machine steeper but it's still happened once or twice. There's no raised lip on the bottom of the groove. I'm thinking maybe the whole walker mech is set too far back? Anyone had this issue before?
[quoted image]

I had a similar issue with the cpr but mine was re-cleared. The clear created a dam and prevented the ball from rolling freely over the grooved area of the walker. I folded a piece of sandpaper and cut a groove in the clear to let the ball roll over the grooves. You may have to remove the plastics and investigate that area. I touched up the clear with nail polish after.

2 weeks later
#2077 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Reseated the J4 connector again on the lamp board and the speech played well afterwards. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Check the header pins on both boards for cold solder joints.

3 weeks later
#2100 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I think my next step will be to rebuild the J4 connector on the lamp driver board. This morning I reseated the connector and played a few games and the speech and sound worked perfectly.
[quoted image]

While you're at it, inspect the header pins for cold solder joints.

4 weeks later
#2136 1 year ago
Quoted from daly124:

Anyone have a source to get these drop target reset links? The Bally replacements they make now don't work.
[quoted image]

I have somebody working on these now. The first attempt seems to be a failure unfortunately. I'm using a nos link for him to copy. The prototype he made from stainless and they look really bad. The first piece he made from wood is spot on. So we might have to go with steel and then I can have them plated. I will update if we have a suitable replacement.

3 weeks later
#2145 1 year ago
Quoted from Bakchos:

Weird thing on mine,
The blast off on the upper left is acting strange.
The last F looks to be connected wrong,
It only lights up when both stage lights are on, he looks connected to the second stage GO green light.
Can someone please take a picture of the wire color on the bulb under is playfield?
Thanks guys!

I just happened to have my PF raised to get ready to shop the game. My lower F has a solid black wire.

#2149 1 year ago

There are mistakes in bally/stern manuals that I have encountered.

2 months later
#2173 11 months ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Restoration in progress.
Found those holes under the apron. Am I missing anything?
[quoted image]

Kind of odd, I just looked at 2 playfields and don't see anything in that location on either side.

2 months later
#2187 9 months ago

Do you have this one? See pic.

Either the NVRAM is going bad or one of the sockets are bad. Maybe try to reseat the NVRAM.

16894386877075201707746726099002 (resized).jpg16894386877075201707746726099002 (resized).jpg
7 months later
#2308 54 days ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

There are washers under the plastics.
[quoted image]
I’m asking about the odd looking post that the spinner bracket is mounted to.

It looks to me that the red posts behind the drops are the short ones, mine has the tall ones in that location. If you need some, I can mail to you.

The right post on the Apollo spinner looks correct and should match the left. If the holes are stripped, add a drop or two of wood glue and insert a toothpick into hole and snap off at the pf surface. Let cure and then the screw should bite.

#2312 49 days ago
Quoted from Pulptoxic:

I've got a mionor but permanent Problem with the cab-speaker at my FLT2K
There ist an rumble, which is permanent and rises with higher volume getting louder than the sound at max. volume.
I think this is coming from the tranformer.
Has anybody an idea how to stop7avoid this rumble? Is there any device or filter to lower or to eliminate it?
I allready tried a magnetic filter on the speaker cable, with no effect.
Thanks a lot
greetings
Bert

Transformers do hum but there's a lot of noise in these old games. First eliminate the speaker itself, make sure it's good. Make sure the mounting hardware on the xformer is tight. There should be a ground wire from the rectifier mounting bracket to the base of the xformer.

Re-capping the sound and speech boards would be beneficial. Re-pinning the connectors will help as well, get a better ground to the sound board. Remember the sound board is not grounded to the back box so it needs good connectors.

Other things I would try if it hasn't improved after the above would be try adding a ground from the speaker frame to cab braid. Change volume pot, change ribbon cables and clip pins 33 and 34 as they are not needed.

2 weeks later
#2316 33 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

I've picked up a pretty beaten and rusted playfield that's fully populated and has the harness. I've brought worse back to life so I can get this up an running again with some patience and some swapping out but I've never seen the assembly near the back left of the playfield before. It's the long thin thing behind the 9 drop target assembly, I think it's the way it controls multiball lock (it's under the maze). My assembly is ok but all the spikes are bent, both the spikes moved by the solenoid and all 3 of the loose ones as well. I'm sure I can hammer them back to a better shape but in a perfect world I'd replace them. I can't imagine anyone making these unless they're also used in other games. Any idea where I can find them?
Here's a photo I found on PINSIDE of the assembly the spikes are connected to. Thanks!;
[quoted image]

That's the ball walker mech. I'm pretty sure it was only used on F2K. You can disassemble it and clean it up. Replace the Nyliners and put a small amount of white litho grease on the piece that slides back and forth.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome?tu=lovef2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.