(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#860 3 years ago

Rebuilding a project Flight 2000 and want to make sure I'm re-pinning transformer connector J1 correctly. This was a non-working game so re-doing everything.

For transformer A2 connector it has two dark blue wires in connector J1 at positions 5 and 7. Comparing this to the schematic I think it should be positions 3 and 7 since both of those are the feature lamp bus (5.4vdc). Position 5 (same as position 8 which has a white wire) is the general illumination bus (7.3vac).

Should it be spot 3 instead of 5? Would any of the boards have been effected if it was powered on without being changed? Thx

#862 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The blue wires are for the feature lights and are located at pin 3 and pin 7. Pin 5 and pin 8 are white wires for GI lights. Although, I think on most of the Sterns the white wire at pin 5 is not wired at the factory.
Pin 6 is a blue/white wire that sends power to the flippers.

Thank you cottonm4 for confirming. Was going to fire it up and noticed the ground was busted off the electrical plug....

#863 3 years ago

Would there be any board damage if the G.I. ac from the transformer J2 was sent thru the feature light wire?

#865 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you blow a fuse? If not, then you might be OK. I don't think you will hurt anything, or anything else, if you fired it up and saw what is working and what is not.
You could have blown your lights. I blew all of my feature lights one time by trying to swap a bulb while the pin was powered on. I don't know what I shorted but I did see a small spark. And then the lights were gone.

This game was a donor to get another F2K running. All of it's working boards were removed and it's been sitting for almost 10 years. Back then I removed all topside components and took pictures/notes in preparation for a play field swap. It's overdue for some love.

I've tried to read a bunch but will have questions as I go. I'm hesitant to drop known working boards into this pin or put it's boards into my up and running pin.

On the SB-300 sound board there isn't a jumper on the back of the board. Should there be?

sb300 back (resized).JPGsb300 back (resized).JPGsb300 front (resized).JPGsb300 front (resized).JPG
#867 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Check for continuity between the right connector pin 5 and the top of capacitor C14 - if there's continuity, no need to add the jumper.

Yep, J3-5 and the top of C14 are connected. Thank you slochar

#868 3 years ago

Condition so far-

MPU boots on the bench now. Had two flashes until 5101 Pinitech NVRAM adapter installed.

SDB couple missing transistors and and U4 socketed and replaced. C23 replaced.

LDB all transistors test ok.

Transformer board completely rebuilt and voltages good on the bench. Connectors repinned.

On to checking coils and switches. Drop target banks need cleaned along with all parts removed. Plenty to do until new line cord plug shows up tomorrow.

75B42B32-DCBF-4BAA-A6F5-ADDD19347E6D (resized).jpeg75B42B32-DCBF-4BAA-A6F5-ADDD19347E6D (resized).jpeg
#869 3 years ago

OK, got it powered up and have some issues-

Voltages are a little off from spec (using a Bally 122-125 transformer/AS2518-18 rectifier- don't know how I lost the Stern transformer and ended up with a Bally!)

On the rectifier (with nothing else plugged in)
TP1= 6.55 vdc
TP2= 187.6 vdc
TP3= 13.37 vdc
TP4= 7.59 vAC
TP5= 46.9 vdc

Plugged in the Solenoid Driver Board
TP1= 5.1
TP2= 170.2
TP3= 5.1
TP4= 268.3
TP5= 15.58

Plugged in MPU J4
TP1= 5.0
TP2= 14.45
TP3= 23.1
TP5= 5.01

MPU booted, but didn't have anything else plugged in yet.

Then I messed up and instead of going thru the VSU-100 card I plugged the harness into the upper left lamp driver board directly. Turned on and MPU booted but rebooted after a couple minutes. This may have happened the first time I booted MPU by itself (before the lamp board mis-plugging not sure since no sound card installed yet.)

Realized my mistake and installed the sound cards and lamp driver correctly. Booted and got the 'bong' sounds but MPU again rebooted by itself after a couple minutes.

Plugged everything in to MPU, lamp boards, solenoid driver. Booted but game did not go into attract mode. I don't have balls installed and under playfield fuse is removed right now.

Tried to go into diagnostics and doesn't respond. GI is on but no controlled lamps. Displays glow but no digits are lit.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it makes sense.

Any damage suspected from plugging lamp driver in instead of thru VSU? They are keyed the same...

Should I move transformer tap from 115 to 120V?

Any suggestions to get to attract mode and diagnostics? Thanks for any help here.

#870 3 years ago

dup

#872 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:No damage from lamp directly that connector is a pass through.
Flight looks for three balls in trough at boot and cycles the walker and maze kickers seven times if it didn't find them. With the playfield fuse out this doesn't happen. If you boot up with all the dips off it will go into self test burn in before firing the walker.

Thanks I'll add back the fuse and balls. I thought absence of the balls just prevented starting a game, not attract mode.

Are those voltages ok or too high?

#875 3 years ago

Good info. Appreciate the help from all. Should I start a separate thread or continue here for future troubleshooting after this update?

Turned all dip switches off and it went into diagnostics. Counted thru all stuff including some sounds and 4 out of 5 displays work perfectly!

Don’t know is it supposed to reboot and start over with the test? Did this rebooting a couple times but only counted up to about 18 or so and then stopped cycling with the mpu LED lit.

Power cycled off and it did the short test and rebooted again several times then quit. LED not lit this time.

What I noticed on the MPU is that big resistor kind of roasted the little resistor above it (measures 26.22K ohms and can see some soot appearance on the IC U14 above that.

Or could it be some incompatibility with the NVRAM that it is rebooting?

1EF31F34-0E9C-4B79-8099-FB587D592322 (resized).jpeg1EF31F34-0E9C-4B79-8099-FB587D592322 (resized).jpeg
#877 3 years ago

Didn't want to transfer any problems but did end up putting this MPU in my working F2K. It boots up and plays fine. Almost got multi-ball but drained as soon as countdown was completed...just like normal.

Possibly some issue with the project game's wire harness, especially the MPU upper right were there are lots of spliced wires?

So, I usually add games by putting a quarter thru the slot with the coin door open, catch the quarter, repeat. With this replaced MPU the quarter didn't come out and I can't add games. Looks like the coin lock out coil isn't working and moving the lever doesn't retrieve the quarter. Do I have to take it all apart?

#880 3 years ago

Put original MPU back in and coin lockout coil now works. DIP settings between boards are the same. Would you suspect a header issue or something else?

#883 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But you have to remove a part for the coin door to do that easily.

You need to remove this guard I have my index finger on.

Good point...the trip wire wasn't visible. Been meaning to lower the replay award score to avoid running out of credits.

#885 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There are free play roms on ipdb.

I’d like to get your ROM. Just waiting for all your improvements (added speech, etc.)!!

1 month later
#896 3 years ago

Anyone have LED recommendations to convert GI, controlled lamps and back box? Goal is to make it tastefully pop a little but not too bright or turn into a rainbow.

I was thinking all white for GI (maybe Comet sunlight or warm white), color match inserts, highlight just certain back glass locations. Ideas and pics? Thanks!

#899 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I used a few Comet flame/fire LEDs behind the rocket flames for the back glass. Nice effect. Did the same for Meteor.

Thanks for mentioning that. Didn't know about this bulb. Looked on Comet website for it and saw the video. Looks cool.

Quoted from cottonm4:

For me, if the pin has a lot of blue on the play field, I like to use cool white for the GI lights. F2K would fit my thoughts of having a lot of blue in the play field. For something green, like my Big Game, I like to use warm white for GI. I favor cool white in the back box. I use 2smd LEDs.
For feature lights, I color match or go with cool white. Color match is preferred. For any orange inserts, someone suggested using pink as pink lights up well under orange inserts. I tried the pink and like it so I stay with it.
If a feature light is way up in the back and hard to see, I might use 4smd bulbs to really light it up. But up closer, I don't wish to blind myself so I keep it at 2smd bulbs.

Good points to consider in putting my LED list together!

Anyone have pics and/or further suggestions?

#902 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I got a lot of tips from this YT video.

That Comet Matrix lighting is super cool. Especially when you use some of those post lights upside down and under the plastics. You can light up a lot of dark corners with this Matrix lighting .

Quoted from clodpole:

Here are a couple pics of our F2K, which is all LEDs plus has the lower half of the playfield lit with spotlights and bands of colored LEDs. It looks really pretty to us, and doesn't really emphasize any one color over too large an area. Anyway, good luck!

Those lighting mods offer a lot of possibilities. Don't know why I only think of them for newer games and not for the older classics.

Appreciate the pics. Playfield has a very 'spacey' look with the zones of color! Really like how your backglass lighting came out. Beside the different color bulbs, you're also using different brightness bulbs or is that just the way it photographed?

2 weeks later
#906 3 years ago

Fellow club members- please see my thread located in the Restoration sub-forum to provide input on my CPR swap questions. Don't want to make any huge mistake in drilling in the wrong spots. Thank you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-front-side-dimple-locations-

2 weeks later
#963 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I think the thin wire is not fully connected, I can unwind one loop and reattached to lug and cut off excess, right? I notice a couple screws holding the bracket has fallen off, so I’m sure that the whole assembly was rattling around a lot.

Before you solder a new section of the coil wire you need to sand it to remove the varnish that it is coated with. Solder won't stick to it otherwise

1 month later
#1023 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Before I buy the spinners, I want to try to figure out if I am going to have to buy anything for the no-voice issue. Will the self test mode tell me if the eprom on the speech board is bad? The only thing that looked off to me is in the pic. It is the U3. Is the expensive chip the one in the pic in the upper right? Also does J4 from the lamp driver board connect to J2 on the speech board, because that is what mine looks like (and I don’t see J4 on the speech board). I assumed that they would always match from board to board, I.e. J4 always goes to J4.
Where should I go to start figuring out how to do the diagnostics. All I know how to do with the multimeter is check coil resistance.

Check voltage at VSU-100 board test points.
TP is ground (black probe of meter). With red probe of meter, TP2 should be around 5 volts dc. Then red probe on TP3 should be around negative 10 volts dc

Doesn't matter if lamp and jumper are on J1 or J2, they are the same.

Beyond that it gets a little more involved with preferably a logic probe. Not that difficult, just something new to you,

Here's a couple voice repair threads. Quench is the man.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-no-speech
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-vsu-100-troubleshooting-help

#1026 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Thanks emsrph for the voltage test explanation. Here are a couple more pics, with the board right side up. So if J1 (white connector/lamp?) and J2 (red connector/jumper?) are same, okay, but what if they are installed backwards? That would be an issue right? I compared my pic to some others, and see the jumper / red connector box is okay b/c the green wire is on the left. And there is at least one burnt out wire on the red connector. Is that fatal to speech? Luckily, when I was going to fix the J1 connector on the rectifier board I accidentally bought a 0.1 connector kit, instead of the 0.156 kit, so I should already have what I need to rebuild connectors on this board!
And then what about the white connector / lamp? It seems to fit only one way b/c of the arrangement of the missing pin, but I’m suspicious of the missing pin, b/c there does not appear to be a missing wire. Also, what about the U9 EPROM? Is there an issue installing it upside down?

Re-pinning the connector is a good first step. May help, may not. These boards seem to fail a bunch.

The key in the plug keeps the connector from being inserted backwards. Your red connector have this key too?

The U9 looks like it is installed fine. Notch in chip aligns with notch silkscreened on the board. It’s just the label that is upside down.

Edit- Looked back and saw your game never talked...check to see if switch 17 on the MPU is set to ‘ON’

#1034 3 years ago
Quoted from dombutler:

Does anyone have a playfield for sale?
Thanks,
Dom.

tyking is correct. I will have a used playfield for sale very shortly. I don't know how to ship internationally though. Plus your cleaned up playfield may be better than mine. Nice job.

I will also have a second complete game for sale/trade.

#1037 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

and at the very least the cabinet can double as your pandemic remote office workspace, which is great if you like standing desks.
by the way i've been meaning to ask, but haven't because i have a few months before it hits - winter.
i live in new hampshire and it gets below freezing during the winter for extended periods of time. i don't think i'm going to be able to move the pin out of the garage, which right now is not insulated or heated. i'm assuming that is going to be bad for the pin. i'm actually hoping that i will hear that it could be really really bad, because that could give me the extra nudge i need to put in insulation and heat, which i've really been wanting to do anyway.

Not a good idea to have the pin in a freezing place. If you can't move the game inside, at least bring the backglass inside. Cover game with blankets?

#1043 3 years ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

I just purchased a Flight 2000 and love it. Having trouble with the ball launcher up in 1st stage chute. Ball gets dropped into chute from collection area at left and it tends to just sit there for a minute and then "wakes up" to launch it over to the 2nd stage chute. This is not a problem when I first boot up the machine. Best I can figure is the CPU is telling it to activate at boot up, but during play the microswitch hair trigger is not working reliably. My assumption is that the contacts on the microswitch need cleaned. Am I right? If so, this seems like a bear to get to. I am still a little nervous about lifting the play field for maintenance. Any advice about safest way to lift and stabilize the play field for maintenance?? PS - How do you clear the High Score to Date?

Yes could need cleaning or gap adjusted (with power off). Maybe try bending wire actuator up just a tad so ball presses down switch more. Does the switch register if you press it by hand?

If lifting playfield remove the three balls first. Lift front and pull playfield toward you. Playfield will ride on metal runners and then drop down onto wood. Pull it to the end of the travel and then rest top of playfield against the backbox. Don’t use prop rod ever.

Returning playfield down you need to lift back edge up onto the metal runners while holding the front up also. Not fun. Maybe someone has a better method than that.

#1048 3 years ago

Self test is advance

CC14AB37-FF5A-40EC-81C8-95F64CD8B616 (resized).pngCC14AB37-FF5A-40EC-81C8-95F64CD8B616 (resized).png
1 week later
#1052 3 years ago

Making good progress on my playfield swap and checking lamps. Don’t know how other people are doing this step but thought I’d share..

Using an old phone charger that outputs 5vdc. Just cut off the connector and add alligator clips.

For the GI, hook up to any general illumination lamp socket and if you’ve wired all lamps correctly they should all be on. Can troubleshoot from there.

For the controlled lamps, hook positive to transformer connector blue wire.
Edit- there are two blue wires position 3 and 7.

Go through lamp connector positions and it goes pretty fast thanks to Inkochnito for his chart back on post #630.

I use a piece of header pin strip to insert into the connectors. You could just check at the lamp sockets but this lets you know the wiring is correct.
32B85D69-855F-41C7-97AA-87CF14597049 (resized).jpeg32B85D69-855F-41C7-97AA-87CF14597049 (resized).jpeg5B827CC0-1E24-47FB-8184-B637FAF51AFF (resized).jpeg5B827CC0-1E24-47FB-8184-B637FAF51AFF (resized).jpeg

986F15BB-3EAB-47FE-8ED2-618FD2FF5F9A (resized).jpeg986F15BB-3EAB-47FE-8ED2-618FD2FF5F9A (resized).jpeg7A03866A-6A41-46C8-BF8F-999CB23C3992 (resized).jpeg7A03866A-6A41-46C8-BF8F-999CB23C3992 (resized).jpeg
#1054 3 years ago

Mock-up of double layer lane guides using old and new pieces. Could only see what one side looks like. Haven’t melted the bells in yet and don’t have 8 more for the other side, or the longer screws...

I liked the ones I’ve seen with clear layer on the bottom. With both layers printed seems like too much?

Those that have added a layer- does it obscure the ball coming down the in-lane? Would you do it again or leave single layer?

Are clear lane guides available or would have to make my own?

Thx

632BFECA-69D7-4C8B-8EDE-3298A8646D94 (resized).jpeg632BFECA-69D7-4C8B-8EDE-3298A8646D94 (resized).jpeg
#1060 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You only need to lift the upper ball guides just enough to be clear of any ball coming down the inlane. The lower guide will take the abuse. I suggest you get some 1/4" spacers to use between the two guides. You could probably use 1/8" spacers and be OK. And you could used some plain old washers in a pinch.
You can make your own.. Get this .060 thick 12' x 12' sheet of polycarbonate and make your own . I think a 12 " x 12" sheet would be big enough to make two but double check.
ebay.com link » Polycarbonate Clear 1 16 060 X 12 X 12 Palsun Flat Sheet

Good input. The second level is definitely too tall at 1/2”. I’ll check it out with some washers as spacers.

May try to cut my own clear lanes. Thanks!

#1064 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Back in the day, I did two F2K and for the return lanes I sandwiched two pieces together.
First was a cut clear and then topped with the artwork piece. So it was more or less
a thick plastic type return lane.

I’ll check out the look of that. Have to bust out my scroll saw. Thx

#1072 3 years ago

There was a high tech inlane plastics scan by wolffcub on post #816

Edit: and Reaper802 shared this file in post #892,

but here’s some low tech in case anyone needs it.

1B20C9F7-C9EF-467E-B48A-32F24B0F4729 (resized).jpeg1B20C9F7-C9EF-467E-B48A-32F24B0F4729 (resized).jpeg

#1080 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I wish I had that tester right now, I am not sure what I’m doing trying to repin and install a new molex connector. I think I finally figured out which way to hold the crimper though. Is the attached the schematic for the J4 on the voice board? Does the pic show the right configuration of wires? Trying to figure out how to double check from the schematic, since I couldn’t keep track of them as some of them popped out together in the process.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe someone has a good clear picture of this connector for you. I’m not near my machine now.

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cool.
If a new connector housing is too long I normally cut the excess off with a blade to make it the right length.

And using a blocking key is a must to avoid plugging in off a pin or upside down.

#1123 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You are missing the thick style washers that fit under the plastic
behind the D/T.

Interested in knowing what those are.

Plus where do these 3 CPR repro plastic pieces go? Just don’t tell me they are the first to go on under everything on the playfield!

2C31F014-0E98-4073-9816-C04D6224E5A3 (resized).png2C31F014-0E98-4073-9816-C04D6224E5A3 (resized).png
#1126 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

See the photos above of tyking's game - those pieces sit on top of the plastics behind the 5-4-3-2-1 drop targets. They help keep your plastics from getting busted up with the hard ball hits those targets take.

Thank you @clodpole, never knew that. Didn't have those on either of my F2Ks and didn't notice those before.

#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I noticed the blocking key protrudes out of the housing, preventing the housing from sitting flush with the strip, when you push it on all the way. so I took it off.

The key shouldn't make the connector stick out too much and prevents a mistake in plugging it in.

Back on post #1111 it looks like your J1 connector to your VSU-100 is plugged in wrong?

Added over 4 years ago:

Edit - I was referring to the small brownish connector. It is probably J3 and not J1?

#1131 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Okay thanks, I had spent so much time with those tiny .100 trifucons, I was feeling like every little millimeter was extremely important. I’ll recheck the J1.

When I plug them in I tip the connector slightly so I can see if the first pin is going in the first hole. If the male and female connectors have the same number of pins the edges should line up. This looks like it is off by one pin:

BD5327EF-00EB-48ED-AF0E-3E02F7174A31 (resized).pngBD5327EF-00EB-48ED-AF0E-3E02F7174A31 (resized).png
1 week later
#1160 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Two options:
1) Find a 3-target assembly. Take the lift bar from that and head to the local welder and have the bar “stretched”.
2) Have a weld/sheet metal shop make you one. Not cheap, I imagine, but if you have no other luck....

Both sides of my big target bank were busted too. One side was zip tied and the other had a cludge repair that worked fairly well.

I removed the zip tie and did something similar using the mounting tab from a long bayonet socket as a strap. Only metal-ish item I had in my junk pile that was bendable. Subsequently saw a tip in a past post by cottonm4 about the usefulness of reusing crappy socket mounting tabs!

So far it is holding pretty well.

8281159A-A7A1-457D-97A0-478A42C4F5FB (resized).png8281159A-A7A1-457D-97A0-478A42C4F5FB (resized).pngC24D686A-EA78-489B-B2F8-62D3F213C064 (resized).pngC24D686A-EA78-489B-B2F8-62D3F213C064 (resized).pngF8D2AC27-1733-4B97-9931-445AD117CC5A (resized).pngF8D2AC27-1733-4B97-9931-445AD117CC5A (resized).png62CF6698-D87D-42D1-BDCF-B334671672A6 (resized).png62CF6698-D87D-42D1-BDCF-B334671672A6 (resized).png
#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

OK, I'm in the club, thanks to another F2K guy, kind enough to sell to me.
As he said, it's a "survivor" and looks close to maybe being HUO. So, I have a few questions and requests:
1. Left flipper was sticking up. I filed down a bit the flipper leafs. That seemed to help, but now sticking just a little. File down some more or maybe buy a new flipper leaf?
2. I have one display out and one "wonky." Anyone have a couple displays for sale? I had a spare 6 digit Pinscore display and put in game/match slot. Works OK, but part of right digit is hidden. Are there any LED sets that work better?
Thanks.

Very nice condition! Do you think the flipper leaf switch blades are touching when the flipper button is not pressed? Have you tried to adjust the gap on the blades to open up a little? Do this with the power off.

Try moving displays to different player positions to see if problem moves or stays with the display. Could be connector or display header pins need resoldering.

2 weeks later
#1184 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Trying to figure out if some ball trough issues I’ve been having are known issues.
First, kind of coinciding with a reset after multi-ball, two balls will be shot out of the trough. It is a quick sequential - shot - shot - and the two balls end up in the plunger lane. When this happens, if you shoot both balls, the first one that drains does not stop play or reset or do anything, but the second ball that drains is recognized as a drain.
Second, the ball will sometimes sit on the 1st wire from the plunger and not fall into the —-[not sure what it is called] place where it sits before it gets ejected into the plunger lane. If you don’t notice this, you can hit a ball into the walker and end up losing a turn, because you will notice the ball still sitting on the wire, and then jostle the pin so it advances, which the pin recognizes as a drain.
Are these known issues for F2K? Thanks[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don’t know about the double serve but may be related to the second problem. You need to adjust the switches so the ball doesn’t hang up on the first wire and all the switches register.

With the game off you can hear the click of the switch and/or measure with your meter that each switch closes when a ball rolls over the wire.

1 week later
#1215 3 years ago

Nothing blew up in my first playfield swap. I have some switches to adjust and drop target fine tuning. Overall a great adventure.

Looks much better and plays smoothly without the ball getting diverted by the cupped inserts.

F9733C32-E1F6-4ADA-9711-1FD3F27C7CCA (resized).pngF9733C32-E1F6-4ADA-9711-1FD3F27C7CCA (resized).png
#1218 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Wow, nothing like a brand new playfield to make a pin play like new! Do the new playfields come with some sort of clear coating or do you have to that yourself once you get the playfield?

Yes, it had clear coat. CPR leftover purchased about a decade ago. Finally had the time to get this done!

Actually glad I didn’t start it too much sooner. So many great posts and tips by Pinsiders made this swap go well.

#1220 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

Hello everyone...
Long time listener...first time caller.
I recently picked up..you guessed it...a F2K.
When turned on it makes 1 beep then the 2nd beep never stops.
Your thoughts with my gratitude

Welcome!
Check for corrosion damage to the MPU board. Can possibly be repaired or best course is replacement with an after market board.

Good resources here https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

3 months later
#1308 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

That one actually doesn't look too bad compared to other boards I've seen. a set of new heavy duty bridges on the top of the board w/heatsinks and some other cleanup would make that board work ok.

Agree. Pardon the ‘Bally’ in a ‘Stern’ topic.

A good first board to work on if you want to gain experience. Nice large traces, no IC’s, very forgiving.

CF7DDF82-8E5B-4ECE-8DF9-E8551C94B007 (resized).pngCF7DDF82-8E5B-4ECE-8DF9-E8551C94B007 (resized).png
#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Okay, thank’s for inviting this question: Are fast acting fuses the same as regular fuses (as opposed to slow blo)?
Also, MAJOR PROBLEM, after some quirky issues with ball not registering as drained when it drained, now, on power on, the power comes on, bulbs light, but no reset is happening, i.e. balls are not released from walker, and self-test button won’t activate. Is there a fuse I should check first? Thanks all!

Sounds like one of the outhole switches is not registering. Game won’t start unless switches work and see balls. You may need to adjust the switches.

Try to hear the click when you press the wire down and then see if ball will also. Test with game off using a meter on continuity to confirm switch works. Look for broken wires. You may need to remove the apron to access. Bend switch actuator carefully and only very slightly if adjustment is required.

#1333 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I have noticed that my green "Second Stage Go" light is illuminated any time the game is on. Does anyone have some tips for me to try and fix that? I'm guessing the light is powered by a switch in the ball locker mechanism? Or do I need to dig around and look at the light circuit board?
Thanks for the help and my whole family is enjoying the machine.

The always lit bulb is most likely a bad transistor on the lamp board.

From the pinwiki https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

“Lamp locked on
The usual cause for a lamp that is stuck on is a failed SCR. Bally/Stern employed two different SCR parts to control lamps. The MCR-106 is able to drive two lamps at the same time. The smaller 2N5060 will drive one lamp only. These SCRs fail from sinking too much current, from old blackened bulbs (which draw more current) or from being shorted to something under the playfield carrying high voltage (solenoids). If you accidentally short several lamps together, this can cause the SCR to fail also.“

#1338 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

For the LED’s, is there a consensus opinion about cool white, warm white, frosted, or blue/purple LEDs?

I used cool white in the GI and color matched the inserts. Backbox has blue/purple in title and explosion as well as orange behind planet.

I like how the playfield looks but not 100% if I'll keep the blue in the title behind the backglass.

64362e46c02bdcc9c068fb46ee2f5049040d9e8e (resized).png64362e46c02bdcc9c068fb46ee2f5049040d9e8e (resized).png

1 week later
#1359 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks emsrph. This is helpful.
I am trying to figure out what is causing the Second Stage Go light to be on constantly on the play field down by the 5 drop targets.
This is my first pinball machine and I am new to reading the wire diagrams. From what I can tell, the Second Stage Go is J2, Pin 5. If I follow that to the light board, it is Q52 and R52 that are controlling the light, is this correct?
If I am understanding PinWiki, then the Q52 is bad, is this correct?
Is there any sort of diagnostic test I can do on the Q52 2NSO60 to make sure this is the problem?
Next, how difficult is this for me to replace? I'm guessing the light board needs to be removed from the machine, then a soldering iron used to remove the Q52 2NS060 and install a new one? This sounds kinda fun and a little scary. haha. Does Great Plains Electronics sell them?
Thanks a bunch.
Tom[quoted image][quoted image]

The manual does say Q52, BUT there are two Second Stage Go lamps. That would be a different transistor type that has the capability to control two lamps (MCR-106 vs. one lamp transistor 2N5060).
Are both Second Stage Go lamps stuck on?

Maybe someone can confirm which transistor it is to be sure.

Transistor testing process https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Testing_Lamp_Driver_SCRs
You can compare results to other like transistors to confirm.

The 2N5060 are available at greatplainselectronics https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2N5064
Ed recommends 2N5064 as the replacement.
The MCR106 are https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCR106-6

Not a difficult job. What kind of soldering iron and types of soldering work have you performed previously?

#1361 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks for the great emails. The 2nd Stage Go light up in the ball launcher seems to be working properly and blinks during attract mode and is not a steady green like the one I showed in the photo.
I just got a brand new soldering iron station. It has adjustable temperature in Celsius. It has a nice beveled tip, not a little pointy tip. A few weeks back I soldered the wires onto a new power/rectifier board in the cabinet and that was fun and seemed to go well enough.

Yeah you should be ok.

You can test Q52 but both lamps should have the same behavior?

Next time you’re under the playfield- they both have the same color wire, true?

#1378 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

On my slingshot/kickers the kicker arm mechanism seems very wobbly. Lots of play in the kicker arm connection points. How much slop is supposed to be in those? I'm thinking I need to get replacements or else install some washers in the joints to take up the slack.

Here's a post by wolffcub about tuning up sloppy Stern kickers that I book marked for the future...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lectronamo-rebuild/page/7#post-4602455

1 week later
#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

My game.has.Worked good for almost 3/years.
Had a problem come up tonight.
Ball one drained with two balls in walker.
Machine still thought ball in play.
I turned off and on. Boots up but credit match
display comes on late and.then I nto attract mode.
Hit start button. No ball eject . Drops arent.resetting.
Score keeps increasing i think because of drops staying down.
Went into test mode. Only thing I'm getting on solenoid
Tests is the sounds. Flippers work.
Can anyone point me in correct direction.
Thx. I've gotten better with using mulimeter and.knowing
My way better around the backbox. Thx for any help.

Remove the under playfield fuse and continuity test to make sure it’s not blown

#1385 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Over fusing is just asking for a disaster. Get the correct fuse!

Yep, get the right fuse.

#1392 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Yes, it counts the bonus points and acts like the game is over.
I’ll replicate it again today and report back.
When one ball is left in the trough, that switch should be closed, right?
Then when the trough is empty, that switch is open, correct?

Yea on the switch operation and there are three switches in the trough.

Take the balls out, reset the drop bank. Put the game in switch test using the coin door inside button (check manual for how many presses). This will tell you if the trough switch (or any other switch) is stuck closed.

Edit- 5th press of the self test button

#1394 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks emsrph.
I just did the switch test and it is showing switch #33 to be a problem. Switch #33 is the Out Hole (Right).
Here is what the trough switches look like.
The one on the right appears to be open to me, if I am understanding how the switch looks with no balls in the trough.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Outhole is the leaf switch not the micro switches, right?

What does the other end of the outhole leaf switch look like? Make sure the switch tabs aren’t touching each other.

Edit- is there a diode on that switch? Test that diode to make sure it’s not shorted.

#1397 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I had a similar (but not exact) issue with the switch matrix. Turned out to be a bad diode on one of the 3-bank drop switches. I ended up just starting to replace all those little original blue diodes with new 1n4007 diodes (I’m not smart enough to know the blue one’s value or why they’re used on this game, I thought they were added by an op later but they’re the same ones in your photos).

True, could be a phantom switch closure.

Someone can probably look at the switch matrix chart and tell which other switch diodes to check.

#1398 3 years ago

Is it something like testing all the diodes on the diagonal from the switch in question?

9C8F9905-7492-4011-9AD0-237E6C252E88 (resized).png9C8F9905-7492-4011-9AD0-237E6C252E88 (resized).png
#1400 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Sounds like I need to order some diodes and solder. Haha.
I assume Great Plains Electronics is the place to get these?
Is the 1n4007 diode that play_pinball used the thing for me to buy?
Sorry about all the questions. I'm new to all of this.
I just watched a video of a guy testing diodes with a multi-meter. His diodes were not connected to anything. Do I need to unsolder the diodes before testing them, or can they be tested still on the switch?

Questions are fine. Don’t hesitate to ask.

Yes GPE for those exact diodes. Get a bunch since they’re cheap and they are used on switches, coils and on circuit boards.

For diodes not on circuit boards most likely can test as is. Compare results backwards and forwards to other similar switches to verify results.

#1401 3 years ago

DanMarino - check the diodes at switches 5, 12, 19 and 26 just for giggles.

6946F889-3C62-4C46-8FC0-40CB8CEEDB61 (resized).jpeg6946F889-3C62-4C46-8FC0-40CB8CEEDB61 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1408 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks emsrph,
I’m new to pinballs and trouble shooting. Can you help me understand why you are suggesting to test diodes on a diagonal on the switch matrix from switch #33?
I was thinking I would test 25, 17, 9, and 1?
Thanks again for all the help. I’ll be able to work on the machine again when I get back home on Monday evening.

I recall reading several threads where 'ghost' switch matrix issues are diagnosed by drawing a box around the affected switch and the bad actor is at the opposite corner of this box. That's why I picked those switches. Anybody know more detail on that box theory?

Certainly you can check diodes on switches of the same row, and for that matter those on the same column too. The test is quick and easy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#1410 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thank you again!
I need to check the diodes on those switches under the playfield, correct?

Yep, the diodes are on the switches under the playfield. Power OFF. Meter on diode setting. Test forward and backward (reversing black and red leads). One direction you should get a reading of 0.4-0.8 volts and other direction “OL”.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes

19E9DD74-3F7C-4AAC-B447-EC218D53E097 (resized).jpeg19E9DD74-3F7C-4AAC-B447-EC218D53E097 (resized).jpeg

#1411 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Yep, the diodes are on the switches under the playfield. Power OFF. Meter on diode setting. Test forward and backward (reversing black and red leads). One direction you should get a reading of 0.4-0.8 volts and other direction “OL”.
https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes
[quoted image]

Some other thoughts- if the diodes are ok, then it might be that the switches are stuck closed (look for necessary gap between the blade contacts) or it could be a bad capacitor (clip one of the legs to take it out of the circuit). See picture above for the capacitor

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Looks like no capacitor on my right out hole switch. Just a diode.

No capacitor on a saucer type switch is to be expected. It’s typically quick hit switches that have capacitors.

My point was where there is a capacitor on a suspect switch it could be a failure point, especially if original.

#1415 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

1. I removed the J2 and J3 connectors from the MPU board and reconnected them.
2. I moved all of the drop targets up.
3. I removed the balls.
4. I did the switch test and got a 0.
5. I rolled a ball over all of the switches to make sure they registered and all was fine.
6. I started a game.
7. I put 1 ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
8. I put a second ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
9. I knocked down targets and switches and all seemed fine. So I turned the game off and restarted.
10. The game worked perfectly and I got my high score. Haha!
I guess reseating the J2 and J3 connectors fixed the problem.
Lesson learned. At least now I have a bunch of diodes to start replacing the old ones with.
Thank you to everyone who assisted, especially emsrph. I don't really understand why it is working now, but we will keep playing it and see if it malfunctions again.
[quoted image]

You're now officially a repair person but future skill to learn will be re-pinning connectors. Enjoy your game.

#1420 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm back. The problem is back. The switch test using the coin door says that switch #33 is closed. That's the right out hole again.
I removed the J2 connector from the MPU board and got a flashing 0.
My understanding is that this tells me that the problem is under the playfield, is this correct?

No need to double post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-problem-after-2-balls-get-locked#post-6231735

1 week later
#1440 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Main issue is the shutting down and restarting.

Check the dc voltage getting to the MPU. Black ground lead on TP4, red lead on TP5.

Your solenoid driver board and/or connectors may be providing 5vdc voltage too low to the MPU.

#1441 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Still have a 2nd Stage Go light that is on all the time near the 5 bank drop targets.

How did transistor testing go on the lamp driver board?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/28#post-6198234

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I did this test. With the machine on it was reading 4.1 to 4.2 volts. Then while I was testing it reset and did the 5 beeps again on the MPU. Now it is 4.45 volts.

The voltage is too low and is why the MPU is rebooting. Check some voltages on the solenoid driver board. Black lead on ground strap. Red lead on test point as follows:

TP1 should be +4.9 to 5.2 vdc
TP3 should be +4.9 to 5.2 vdc
TP5 should be +12 vdc to 16.5 vdc

#1447 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Good Morning!
Here are my measurements from the solenoid driver board.
TP1 = 4.9 volts.
TP3 = 4.9 volts.
TP5 = 12.76 to 12.89 volts and seems to fluctuate more than the other two.
I retested TP4 to TP5 on the MPU board and it was 4.29 to 4.41 volts.
So does that mean voltage is dropping between the solenoid driver board and the MPU board someplace?

Yes, most likely tarnished or burnt pins and/or headers on SDB J3 and MPU J4.

With power off, unplug those and inspect for condition. If they’re damaged you have some re-pinning connectors and replacing headers to do.

E6C21A4E-8A4E-4869-BACF-3B465E60CACC (resized).pngE6C21A4E-8A4E-4869-BACF-3B465E60CACC (resized).png
#1451 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Awesome emsrph,
I removed the SDB J3 and MPU J4 connectors. The pins looked fine, so I shined them up a little with steel wool.
The connectors seemed fine too. Nothing was burnt looking. The wires and connectors seemed snug in the plastic connectors.
I plugged them back in and re-tested the voltage on the MPU TP4 and TP5. It now reads 4.83 volts. So that's a pretty big improvement.
I have played a few games and the missing explosion sounds are now working!
Thank you very much emsrph!

Back in business! But, it may have been temporary because the plating has been removed from the pins and will burn again.

#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Try grounding the coil with a jumper wire. Cab ground to coil lug. If fires most likely bad transistor or connector.

Momentarily ground Non-banded lug only. You will blow the fuse if banded diode side of the coil lug is grounded.

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Broken again. That didn't last long. haha.
A ball got stuck on the 3 bank drop target. So I turned the game off to move it. Turned the game back on and get a loud humming noise like something is stuck and the MPU doesn't do the 7 beeps. Ugh.
Amazing how I can go from really enjoying a machine to hating it all within 1 minute.

Time to start at the beginning and get it sorted. Replace worn out connectors and headers to make it reliable.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

None of it makes any sense to me at this point.
Anybody want to buy a broken Flight 2000 that works occasionally?

It’s easy to get overwhelmed and frustrated. Maybe there’s a local Pinsider that can help?

#1461 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I followed the pinwiki order for plugging in the connections to the boards and it's working fine for the moment.
4.8 Plug It In and Turn It On
Plug in minimal amount of boards
Start w/ input to rec. board
Plug in 20 pin head harness to rec. board next
Plug in upper right of SDB next
Plug in lower left of MPU next
Plug in upper left of LDB next
Plug in all others on LDB next
Plug in upper left of MPU next
Plug in lower right and all others on SDB
Listen for locked on coils
Plug in upper right and lower right of MPU

Quick, play a lot of games!!! It may be intermittent until the connectors are re-pinned and headers replaced.

Having pinball machines you either have to learn to fix them or pay someone to fix them.

#1473 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I googled this and came up with nothing. Are these for sale to the GP?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-replacement-for-vsu-100-speech-board

#1487 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

Am sorry, it was ment to emsrph from Evanston IL thinkin that your FL2K pic is his. . I must have looked at your pic and read his info. Not sure how I misread it.

turboburt1 thanks for the shout out. My flight2000 isn't as nice as Lovef2k restoration. He's a good guy and helped me tremendously with some no longer available parts.

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

Would you know of someone trusted, or near company, where I could bring my playfield to restore?

I don’t have any playfield restorer but I’m sure someone will make suggestions.

Did you re-stencil the art on the cabinet?

#1495 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

turboburt1, your playfield looks amazing to me. Mine is in much worse shape than yours. Nice going on the restoration so far. The plastic piece near my left flipper is also broken in the same exact spot. Eventually I need to make a clear plastic piece like you did for yours.

Here's a tracing of unbroken lane plastics if you want to make clear ones.

F2k lane pkastics (resized).jpegF2k lane pkastics (resized).jpeg
#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

emsrph, so when i print them, they will be same size as original?

Maybe check don’t scale in the printing? The <—— 1” ——> should be one inch

Plus, you can lay your plastic on top of the printout to make sure

1 month later
#1555 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks, I’ll switch the blue and green wires tomorrow night.

Edit- double checked my game and clodpole and chas10e are correct. Your flipper wires are backward.

B55CA248-158C-48FF-8F92-707F97F5C1A8 (resized).pngB55CA248-158C-48FF-8F92-707F97F5C1A8 (resized).png
#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks. It looks like the diodes are already oriented in the way you show with your added diode graphics.
I thought about the MPU voltage dropping last night, so I got out the multi-meter. I checked the TP4 and TP5 on the MPU and the voltage all was strong. I also checked the test points on the solenoid driver board and they all seemed fine still. There wasn't a voltage drop between the solenoid driver board and the MPU.

Edit- see post #1555 above

1 month later
#1619 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

If you soldered that wire after changing q3 then yeah I would. The ground side of socket for shoot again backbox on my game has a black wire to it. When I get home I take a pic.

Here's a pic I have in my files. I think this is the Shoot Again lamp.. DanMarino = Check for the missing black wire.

Edit- looks like that black wire connects to another controlled lamp at the bottom
shoot again wire.pdfshoot again wire.pdf

#1623 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Awesome guys! Thanks much. I'll try to replicate that setup this weekend.
I'm still not quite sure I understand how the backbox shoot again lamp is controlled. In the photo, it looks like the gray with red dashed wire comes over to the lamp socket from the top wire harness.
Then a black controlled wire comes across from the Tilt lamp below and attaches to the same point on the shoot again lamp?

Grey/Red wire to one terminal of the Shoot Again lamp. Black wire to the other terminal.

#1638 2 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Can someone please take a pic of their left slingshot switches for me, i was poking around and noticed i musta popped a diode or cap. In left side of picture theres 2 orange wires to a switch. If someone could post a pic of theirs so i can make mine right that be great, and thank you![quoted image]

Must have lost the capacitor since the diode is still on the other left sling switch (wired in parallel).

Should be wired same as the right side slingshot switches.

AA060FD9-DCB4-48FD-BAFB-F888F114BB79 (resized).jpegAA060FD9-DCB4-48FD-BAFB-F888F114BB79 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#1667 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Man, I dropped my backglass! Wasn't perfect but at least it was usable. Does anyone make a repro for this?

I have a used Flight 2000 backglass. Some red loss but presentable. Let me know- we can discuss price and I can send pics. I have bgresto packaging that I can send it in.

3 months later
#1729 2 years ago

I agree the 7 digit seems to fit the backglass credit opening better. The manual though has schematics for both 6 digit and 7 digit displays.

3 months later
#1776 2 years ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

Houston, we have a problem with the Flight 2000.
Game started acting very weird Saturday. Started registering additional points from previously knocked down targets automatically, all solenoids stopped working, then automatically ending game. I think it's possibly something in the solenoid section of the rectifier board. About 6 months ago it started doing this weird stuff after a long session of playing so I shut it down and let it cool down. That solved the problem for a while. I would assume it allowed the thermal protector to reset? This time though an overnight shutdown did not work. However the solenoids inside the walker were working very weakly for about a minute then I lost all solenoids again for good. I'm guessing the thermal protector is shot?? All fuses are OK (dang! easiest fix never the problem) Anyway. Just wondering why a non functioning solenoid section of the board would have these weird scoring symptoms. Also, I'm planning to just replace the entire TA-100 board. Makes sense?

What is the solenoid voltage at the transformer rectifier board and at a playfield solenoid?

Is the under pf solenoid fuse good?

#1779 2 years ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

The voltage at the transformer rectifier board is 43V. Pretty much dead on. I didn't check across any of the solenoids. The fuses all show continuity. Actually I was checking all the contacts for quality in the Molex connectors and pin headers and found that J1 had a terminal that had backed out. I think it was the wire for the solenoid bus, but I have to admit I'm not absolutely sure cause the wire colors don't match the schematic. I pushed it back in place and booted up the game. The solenoids worked and I played the game for about a minute and then solenoids went dead again. Double checked that wire again and it still won't work. Fuse still checks OK. Could the discontinuity now be up in the solenoid bus? Also, now when I boot it up I still get the 7 dings, but the start button won't initiate a new game. Seems like it's locked up.

Have the connector and rectifier pins been replaced? If old they could be making poor contact especially when heat is generated from the bad contact.

#1782 2 years ago
Quoted from KurtisEBear:

They look original. Some areas of the post and connector housings are pretty dark brown, so it's obvious they've been overheated over the years. The contacts themselves don't look bad. Probably were replaced some time in life of machine. Anyway, I guess I should just buy a new harness kit to go with the new rectifier board I'm waiting to receive. Is there a solenoid bus up in the top case behind the glass? I was thinking I should check up there for 43V.

The 43v solenoid voltage does go into the backbox to the solenoid driver board that controls the coils

2 months later
#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from chas10e:

My F2K is "at the club" ... at first I ran a bead of hotmelt glue on top of the 3bank drop targets to keep the ball from sticking there and it worked for awhile but eventually the glue peeled off. Then I saw some wide tongue depressors that I was able to place on the frame of the reset bank UNDER the drops and that seems to be working well. amazon.com link »

Good idea. I used a layer of dense cardboard to raise the resting targets to the pf level.

1 year later
#2201 8 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Played my F2K last night and managed to blast off and get the multi-ball during the first game. I had an excellent first ball where I locked two balls and got all the letters except for the two F's. Ball #2 went straight down the middle on the plunge. Ball #3 I somehow got the two F's pretty quickly. At that point I only had to get the #1 drop target before I could blast off!
The new speech board is working well. At some point this winter I need try and work on the original speech board to figure out what the problem was. I spent a lot of time rebuilding connectors, but the speech board was really the issue.

A labor of love to fix that speech board. A good starting approach might be to check the ROM and speech chips in a different known working OEM board. If they are good a repair is probably doable using analysis with a logic probe.

Example here with help from Quench
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-vsu-100-troubleshooting-help#post-5814190

1 week later
#2224 7 months ago

Nice progress. There is a lot to do in this swap...but definitely worth it.

At first glance without my glasses it looks like you taught a cat to re-pin the connectors, lol.

#2226 7 months ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Wrapping the harness connectors up in a shrink wrap bundle keeps them from underfoot and makes it easier to rotate the pf.

Good idea. That keeps them out of the way.

3 months later
#2291 4 months ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Can someone snap a photo of how their flipper coils were originally wired for me please?

Check out the image gallery…here are some pics of flipper wiring:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/4#post-4694097

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome?tu=emsrph and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.