(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danmarino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1302 3 years ago

My son and I bought this Flight 2000 over the weekend!

We fixed one of the ball trough switches and now it will load balls and play.
It still has trouble booting up when we first turn it on. It does the 5 or 7 beeps and then sometimes freaks out, shoots solenoids, and starts again and eventually boots up.

Other times it will die while playing a game and then start trying to reboot.

It's a lot of fun. The playfield needs cleaning, repainting, and waxing or clear coat.

Plus we have about 15 or 20 lights that are out.

The cabinet is loose too on the front left side near the coin door. So gotta glue that up and get some of the newer leg braces.

IMG_7390[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7390[1] (resized).JPG

#1306 3 years ago

I'll be replacing this when the new board comes in.

IMG_7426[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7426[1] (resized).JPG
#1323 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Okay, thank’s for inviting this question: Are fast acting fuses the same as regular fuses (as opposed to slow blo)?
Also, MAJOR PROBLEM, after some quirky issues with ball not registering as drained when it drained, now, on power on, the power comes on, bulbs light, but no reset is happening, i.e. balls are not released from walker, and self-test button won’t activate. Is there a fuse I should check first? Thanks all!

I just had similar problems with my Flight 2000 not booting up, and when if it did boot up, it would reboot randomly during a game. I replaced the power rectifier board and recrimped the J3 20 pin connection. That solved all my problems. What does the front and back of your power rectifier board look like in the base cabinet?

#1326 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That actually looks pretty good from what I have seen before. Looks like the bridge rectifiers are original? New ones are 4 times the size and mount on the front of the board. Did you do a voltage test yet?

I’m no expert, but yours looks way better than mine was. A replacement is $60 if you want to install a new one that is not 41 years old.

How does the connector for the bug 20 pin connection look?

#1327 3 years ago

Dang, my #3 and #4 countdown drop targets broke off yesterday!

It gave me an excuse to order a new set of 5 from Marco, along with new rubber rings, flipper rings, and some new pinballs.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get that taken care of this weekend. Do I need to remove the whole assembly from the underside of the playfield to fix them?

QHKN6537[1] (resized).JPGQHKN6537[1] (resized).JPG
#1330 3 years ago

tyking,

Your power rectifier board looks pretty solid to me, same with the pins on it.

It looks like you have a few burned connectors. How do the wires look in the burned spots? I would probably re-crimp new connector pins and check those ones out first. However, I'm brand new to the hobby and have had my own Flight 2000 machine less than a month.

I hope others can provide better help to you.

#1331 3 years ago

I'm still working on my Flight 2000. My replacement set of drop targets will arrive on Friday, so hopefully that will go well this weekend.

I am also going through the lights trying to figure out why about 25% of them still are not working. I'm pretty sure most of the issues are corrosion on the incandescent light bulbs and bulb holders.

I have noticed that my green "Second Stage Go" light is illuminated any time the game is on. Does anyone have some tips for me to try and fix that? I'm guessing the light is powered by a switch in the ball locker mechanism? Or do I need to dig around and look at the light circuit board?

Thanks for the help and my whole family is enjoying the machine.

#1335 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Not working as in no light, or not working as in dim or intermittently dim? I replaced 50 G.I. lamp sockets to clear up annoying dimness or varying amounts of light (from LEDs in my case).

Hi Clodpole. Thanks again for the tips.
A lot of the lamps not working right are dimly lit, or vary in brightness. Some of the control lights don't seem to be coming on. Some of the control lights have been fixed by cleaning the bulbs. For a lot of the lamps, I am taking the bulbs out and cleaning the bulbs and then putting them back in. That seems to help most of them so far. It looks like I'll need to put in new sockets, as these seem corroded and worn out. Some of them spin around when I try to take the bulb out too.

The end goal is to install LEDs in the general illumination first.

Then move onto the control lights and whatever is the best, easiest, or cheapest and easiest way to convert control lights to LEDs.

#1336 3 years ago

I installed new 1 through 5 drop targets. The job was a lot easier than I anticipated. The drop targets work great now.

I also installed a new set of rubber rings.

The game is playing pretty fast now.

My next project will be rebuilding the flippers, installing some new light sockets, and installing LED lights. For the LED’s, is there a consensus opinion about cool white, warm white, frosted, or blue/purple LEDs?

#1343 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I know this is out of sequence, but DanMarino, here's the photo you asked for:
[quoted image]

Thanks Clodpole! I appreciate the photo. I think my slingshot switches are set the same. I was thinking mine might have been backwards for some reason.

#1346 3 years ago

Here are some photos of my play field damage. I would like to try and touch up the paint. It will never look great, but I was wondering what everyone thinks might be the best approach.

BGHG8576[1] (resized).JPGBGHG8576[1] (resized).JPGDNJB2053[1] (resized).JPGDNJB2053[1] (resized).JPGIRMT0556[1] (resized).JPGIRMT0556[1] (resized).JPGPTFZ7610[1] (resized).JPGPTFZ7610[1] (resized).JPGYGQH3926[1] (resized).JPGYGQH3926[1] (resized).JPG
#1356 3 years ago

I installed some Comet LEDs last night on the playfield general illumination. I also messed around with the control lights. I definitely need to replace some light sockets and get more LEDs for the back box.

FF037B59-016F-4AA4-9C6F-36C38FB0C40B (resized).jpegFF037B59-016F-4AA4-9C6F-36C38FB0C40B (resized).jpeg
#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

The always lit bulb is most likely a bad transistor on the lamp board.
From the pinwiki https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern
“Lamp locked on
The usual cause for a lamp that is stuck on is a failed SCR. Bally/Stern employed two different SCR parts to control lamps. The MCR-106 is able to drive two lamps at the same time. The smaller 2N5060 will drive one lamp only. These SCRs fail from sinking too much current, from old blackened bulbs (which draw more current) or from being shorted to something under the playfield carrying high voltage (solenoids). If you accidentally short several lamps together, this can cause the SCR to fail also.“

Thanks emsrph. This is helpful.

I am trying to figure out what is causing the Second Stage Go light to be on constantly on the play field down by the 5 drop targets.

This is my first pinball machine and I am new to reading the wire diagrams. From what I can tell, the Second Stage Go is J2, Pin 5. If I follow that to the light board, it is Q52 and R52 that are controlling the light, is this correct?

If I am understanding PinWiki, then the Q52 is bad, is this correct?

Is there any sort of diagnostic test I can do on the Q52 2NSO60 to make sure this is the problem?

Next, how difficult is this for me to replace? I'm guessing the light board needs to be removed from the machine, then a soldering iron used to remove the Q52 2NS060 and install a new one? This sounds kinda fun and a little scary. haha. Does Great Plains Electronics sell them?

Thanks a bunch.

Tom

IMG_7543[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7543[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7548[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7548[1] (resized).JPG
#1360 3 years ago

Thanks for the great emails. The 2nd Stage Go light up in the ball launcher seems to be working properly and blinks during attract mode and is not a steady green like the one I showed in the photo.

I just got a brand new soldering iron station. It has adjustable temperature in Celsius. It has a nice beveled tip, not a little pointy tip. A few weeks back I soldered the wires onto a new power/rectifier board in the cabinet and that was fun and seemed to go well enough.

#1362 3 years ago

The two lamps are not illuminated a steady green, so I don't know what's happening then. The wire diagram says that both bulbs are controlled by Q52, so I see what you guys are talking about how both bulbs should be acting the same way. So I don't know what's up with that.

The wire diagram says they should have white with blue wires.

#1366 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Yep. I wheeled an entire cab into my local paint store and had them match the blue that was unfaded under the side rail. Its now in their system as Electric Blue lol.
[quoted image]

Do you think I can show that formula to the local hardware store and get a similar color blue for my cabinet? I assume that's a paint formula on the label, right?

#1368 3 years ago

^ Boo. I figured it wouldn't be that easy.

#1369 3 years ago

I'm going to order some new light sockets to replace a bunch that appear to be corroded or spin a bunch when I try to get the bulbs in and out.

I did look at the green 2nd Stage Go light by the 5 dropdown targets and it definitely has a White with Blue Stripe wire feeding it.

I couldn't tell for sure, but the 2nd Stage Go light up in the ball locker appeared to have a different color wire. The manual says they both should be white with blue stripe.

Besides that I got both of my spinners working awesome last night. The ball locker spinner on the left was not spinning well and getting stuck. I took it apart, used some steel wool on the spinner target arms, then the smallest drop of automatic transmission fluid at the pivot points. Both spinners revolve a very long time now and stop/fall back to a vertical position.

Here is another issue. On my slingshot/kickers the kicker arm mechanism seems very wobbly. Lots of play in the kicker arm connection points. How much slop is supposed to be in those? I'm thinking I need to get replacements or else install some washers in the joints to take up the slack.

Thanks for everyone's help getting this game running and maximizing the fun. It is a great game to play and very challenging.

#1376 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Like other Stern metal parts the metal was crappy on the kickers. The holes on the kickers that go over the shaft for the pivot egg out and cause the excessive slop. Unfortunately this is an obsolete part. When they are really bad, I add a flat washer to the shaft to help minimize the extra play.

Will these work? I haven't looked at my Flight 2000 close enough to see if they are identical.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-bumper-crank-assembly.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html

#1380 3 years ago

For some reason last night I was able to "Blast Off" in 2 of the 5 games I played.

Can someone please describe the sound effects that should happen during the "Blast Off" when the 3 balls are launched from the locker mechanism?

I noticed my machine got kind of quiet during the "Blast Off". The left spinner noise was interrupted. Then once the 3 balls are launched, there is some sort of rocket noise and the spinner noise continues. I'm wondering if all of my sound effects are working properly?

I'll have to try it again with the glass off and notice the sounds more closely.

Thanks!

#1387 3 years ago

Our Flight 2000 developed a major problem today. Here is what happens.

1. Start a game. Ball #1 gets ejected from the outhole.
1. Get Ball#1 into the ball locker. First Stage Go. Next ball gets ejected from the outhole.
2. Get next ball into the ball locker. Second Stage Go. Next ball gets ejected from the outhole.
3. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
4. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
After a few times of doing this the game ends.

So what's going on here? I have no idea what is wrong or how to trouble shoot it.

We have checked the ball trough switches and they seem fine.

The self-test switch in the coin door seems like everything tests fine.

I would appreciate any guidance that any of you Flight 2000 experts could provide.

Thank you.

#1391 3 years ago

Yes, it counts the bonus points and acts like the game is over.
I’ll replicate it again today and report back.
When one ball is left in the trough, that switch should be closed, right?
Then when the trough is empty, that switch is open, correct? I can’t remember off the top of my head.

#1393 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Yea on the switch operation and there are three switches in the trough.
Take the balls out, reset the drop bank. Put the game in switch test using the coin door inside button (check manual for how many presses). This will tell you if the trough switch (or any other switch) is stuck closed.

Thanks emsrph.

I just did the switch test and it is showing switch #33 to be a problem. Switch #33 is the Out Hole (Right).

Here is what the trough switches look like.

The one on the right appears to be open to me, if I am understanding how the switch looks with no balls in the trough.
IMG_7606[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7606[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_7607[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7607[1] (resized).JPG
#1395 3 years ago

Thanks again emsrph.

Here is another photo of the leaf switch. It all seems ok, I'm not sure how to test the diode. I'll have to get on YouTube to check that out.

IMG_7608[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7608[1] (resized).JPG
#1399 3 years ago

Sounds like I need to order some diodes and solder. Haha.

I assume Great Plains Electronics is the place to get these?

Is the 1n4007 diode that play_pinball used the thing for me to buy?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm new to all of this.

I just watched a video of a guy testing diodes with a multi-meter. His diodes were not connected to anything. Do I need to unsolder the diodes before testing them, or can they be tested still on the switch?

#1402 3 years ago

I put my multi-meter on the diode setting. I checked the readings and in one direction I didn't get anything. In the other direction I got a reading of around 1460 or something like that. I compared the readings to other similar diodes on the "B-O-F-F" switches and those diodes read about the same exact thing.

For the heck of it I touched up the solder connections for the diode on the Out Hole (Right) switch. I did the self-diagnostic test again using the coin door switch and switch #33 Out Hole (Right) is still having a problem.

#1403 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

DanMarino - check the diodes at switches 5, 12, 19 and 26 just for giggles.[quoted image]

Thanks emsrph. I'll check those switch diodes tonight after we do our Easter celebration. I'll report back tonight.

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

DanMarino - check the diodes at switches 5, 12, 19 and 26 just for giggles.[quoted image]

Thanks emsrph,

I’m new to pinballs and trouble shooting. Can you help me understand why you are suggesting to test diodes on a diagonal on the switch matrix from switch #33?

I was thinking I would test 25, 17, 9, and 1?

Thanks again for all the help. I’ll be able to work on the machine again when I get back home on Monday evening.

#1406 3 years ago

Thanks Lovef2k, I ordered 50 1N4004 diodes!

#1409 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I recall reading several threads where 'ghost' switch matrix issues are diagnosed by drawing a box around the affected switch and the bad actor is at the opposite corner of this box. That's why I picked those switches. Anybody know more detail on that box theory?
Certainly you can check diodes on switches of the same row, and for that matter those on the same column too. The test is quick and easy.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you again!
I need to check the diodes on those switches under the playfield, correct?

#1412 3 years ago

Looks like no capacitor on my right out hole switch. Just a diode.

#1414 3 years ago

1. I removed the J2 and J3 connectors from the MPU board and reconnected them.
2. I moved all of the drop targets up.
3. I removed the balls.
4. I did the switch test and got a 0.
5. I rolled a ball over all of the switches to make sure they registered and all was fine.
6. I started a game.
7. I put 1 ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
8. I put a second ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
9. I knocked down targets and switches and all seemed fine. So I turned the game off and restarted.
10. The game worked perfectly and I got my high score. Haha!

I guess reseating the J2 and J3 connectors fixed the problem.

Lesson learned. At least now I have a bunch of diodes to start replacing the old ones with.

Thank you to everyone who assisted, especially emsrph. I don't really understand why it is working now, but we will keep playing it and see if it malfunctions again.

QHEB6870[1] (resized).JPGQHEB6870[1] (resized).JPG
#1417 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Congratulations, DanMarino. For however long it lasts, your F2K is now B.R. - "between repairs".

haha. Too funny and so true!

#1419 3 years ago

I'm back. The problem is back. The switch test using the coin door says that switch #33 is closed. That's the right out hole again.
I removed the J2 connector from the MPU board and got a flashing 0.
My understanding is that this tells me that the problem is under the playfield, is this correct?

#1421 3 years ago

Thanks for everyone's assistance with my Flight 2000. The game plays fine now that the broken right out hole leaf switch was replaced.

I'm guessing this is unrelated, but we are now losing some of the sound effects. The speech seems to work fine. However a lot of the rocket/explosion type sounds seem to now be missing. Especially when you launch for multi-ball and the explosion/rocket sounds that happen after a game is over.

I don't have a clue about how to trouble shoot the sound boards. I'm guessing the top sound board is the place to check first?

#1429 3 years ago
Quoted from Randy_G:

My F2K taking off from exile in a basement estate sale!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congruatulations! Excellent find! Had mine for a couple of months now and it always has something wrong with it. Continuous problems. This is my first pinball machine, so maybe all machines are like this one? It's fun if it works right. My machine has never been 100% fully working. Your playfield looks pretty nice! I dig it.

#1434 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What issues and what has been done? Does it have the original boards? If you haven't done so there are updates to the driver that add three jumpers on the back to ensure you have solid power for the game. That and replace the large 5V capacitor if original. I did notice on my flight 2000 that the .100" connector pins were brittle and some switched stopped registering after unplugging and plugging in a connector to test another board. One of the pins broke. Had to put on fresh pins, etc. Once you work out the bugs it should be fine.

Current situation is:
1. Some sounds are missing. Especially the explosion sounds that happen when the ball launcher activates and at the end of a game.
2. Speech seems fine.
3. Game will shut down and reboot in the middle of a game for no reason.
4. Still have a 2nd Stage Go light that is on all the time near the 5 bank drop targets.

Main issue is the shutting down and restarting.

A new power/rectifier board has been installed. I did new connectors on the big plug on the rectifier board.

Looks like the MPU board has a tag on it saying it was worked on by Mike Tolley in 2014.
Also looks like replacement cables to the sound board.

If I get bored this weekend I'll pull a couple of the boards and check the solder connections on the back side.

IMG_7698[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7698[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7699[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7699[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7700[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7700[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7701[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7701[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7702[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7702[1] (resized).JPG
#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

without going through the schematic why is there a connection from the lamp driver board to the speech module?

I’m the wrong guy to ask. Haha. Maybe because lights trigger the speech?

#1443 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Check the dc voltage getting to the MPU. Black ground lead on TP4, red lead on TP5.
Your solenoid driver board and/or connectors may be providing 5vdc voltage too low to the MPU.

I did this test. With the machine on it was reading 4.1 to 4.2 volts. Then while I was testing it reset and did the 5 beeps again on the MPU. Now it is 4.45 volts.

#1444 3 years ago

Secured that strap to ground.

Here is the back side of the SB 300.
IMG_7712[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7712[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7716[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7716[1] (resized).JPG

I touched up a few of the pin connections along the bottom.

Speech was fine. Most sounds appear to be there. The explosion sounds when you blast off are missing, when you spell the word blast, and at the end of the game. There are some noises when the explosions are supposed to sound, but it's not the normal explosion noises it used to make.

I played about 8 or 9 games and eventually it shut down and restarted on me again. So I'm guessing the voltage dropped like it did when I was testing the voltage at TP 4 and TP 5.

Should the next step be to remove the MPU board and look at the back of it?

Or should I look at my power rectifier board again in the cabinet? The power rectifier board is new and about 2 months ago I replaced almost all of the connections on the wire harnesses that connect to it.

#1446 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

The voltage is too low and is why the MPU is rebooting. Check some voltages on the solenoid driver board. Black lead on ground strap. Red lead on test point as follows:
TP1 should be +4.9 to 5.2 vdc
TP3 should be +4.9 to 5.2 vdc
TP5 should be +12 vdc to 16.5 vdc

Good Morning!

Here are my measurements from the solenoid driver board.

TP1 = 4.9 volts.
TP3 = 4.9 volts.
TP5 = 12.76 to 12.89 volts and seems to fluctuate more than the other two.

I retested TP4 to TP5 on the MPU board and it was 4.29 to 4.41 volts.

So does that mean voltage is dropping between the solenoid driver board and the MPU board someplace?

#1450 3 years ago

Awesome emsrph,

I removed the SDB J3 and MPU J4 connectors. The pins looked fine, so I shined them up a little with steel wool.
The connectors seemed fine too. Nothing was burnt looking. The wires and connectors seemed snug in the plastic connectors.
I plugged them back in and re-tested the voltage on the MPU TP4 and TP5. It now reads 4.83 volts. So that's a pretty big improvement.

I have played a few games and the missing explosion sounds are now working!
Thank you very much emsrph!

#1453 3 years ago

Broken again. That didn't last long. haha.
A ball got stuck on the 3 bank drop target. So I turned the game off to move it. Turned the game back on and get a loud humming noise like something is stuck and the MPU doesn't do the 7 beeps. Ugh.

Amazing how I can go from really enjoying a machine to hating it all within 1 minute.

#1455 3 years ago

None of it makes any sense to me at this point.
Anybody want to buy a broken Flight 2000 that works occasionally?

#1460 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Time to start at the beginning and get it sorted. Replace worn out connectors and headers to make it reliable.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

I followed the pinwiki order for plugging in the connections to the boards and it's working fine for the moment.

4.8 Plug It In and Turn It On

Plug in minimal amount of boards
Start w/ input to rec. board
Plug in 20 pin head harness to rec. board next
Plug in upper right of SDB next
Plug in lower left of MPU next
Plug in upper left of LDB next
Plug in all others on LDB next
Plug in upper left of MPU next
Plug in lower right and all others on SDB
Listen for locked on coils
Plug in upper right and lower right of MPU

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Quick, play a lot of games!!! It may be intermittent until the connectors are re-pinned and headers replaced.
Having pinball machines you either have to learn to fix them or pay someone to fix them.

Haha. So funny and true. The machine is working well today. Still measuring 4.83 volts on the TP4 to TP5 MPU.

Next issue is to figure out why 2nd stage go light is always on. I’ll take a break for a while and just play the game to see how long it works reliably without shutting down/restarting the MPU board.

#1469 2 years ago

Played Flight 2000 for a bunch of one player and two player games yesterday. Some by myself, some with my son, and some with my son by himself. We played a lot of games back to back and for over an hour. The machine worked fine. Full sound and speech and the machine MPU did not shut down and reboot. It's a lot of fun and very challenging when it is working properly. Got close to blasting off many times, but always managed to drain ball #3 before getting the countdown completed, or getting the last ball up the launcher/locker mechanism.

#1475 2 years ago

@turboburt1, Wow! That board is tiny! haha. Very cool that it solved your problem. My sound is working fine for the moment, but there is a little background humming noise when the machine is on. I notice it if the machine is on and the room is quiet. That's cool your new board got rid of it.

#1494 2 years ago

turboburt1, your playfield looks amazing to me. Mine is in much worse shape than yours. Nice going on the restoration so far. The plastic piece near my left flipper is also broken in the same exact spot. Eventually I need to make a clear plastic piece like you did for yours.

#1508 2 years ago

About the humming noise, thanks for the tip about improving the grounds. I'll look into that. I also need a new speaker. My original speaker is torn and doesn't look so great. haha. Can any 6 inch (just a guess on size) speaker work down there?

Also thanks for the inlane plastics traced on the graph paper. I've printed it out to scale and will try to use it to make a clear Lexan version to fit under my broken original left inlane.

#1510 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

full range with matching impedance (ohms). Pretty sure they are 8 ohm. I can check. I found some decent replacements on amazon for cheap. Like 9 bucks I think. I will take a look in a bit. I would avoid the car speakers with the separate tweeter. Tried one of those in my embryon and it sounded tinny.
RB

Awesome rcbrown. Yes, an Amazon link would be fantastic for the speaker.

#1515 2 years ago

The past 2 or 3 evenings I have been playing our Flight 2000 with my 23 year old son. He has a pretty stressful job and usually hits the basement when he gets home from work to unwind watching YouTube. However, my son really seems to be enjoying the machine now that our Flight 2000 is getting more reliable. The last several evenings we have struggled to "BLAST OFF". Typically we get the letters spelled on ball #3, but end up draining while doing the count down or before we can get the ball up into the launcher mechanism. Last night my son blasted off and got the multi-ball, only to have 2 of the balls drain down the middle almost immediately. haha. After about 6 games together I bailed out and he told me that the game is a lot of fun now that it is playing so well and we've fixed it up so much. I was talking to him to see if he was interested in getting rid of the game and upgrading to something modern and he certainly thinks Flight 2000 is a keeper.

#1519 2 years ago

6 million sounds crazy. The saved high score on our machine is over 5 million. My son's goal is to beat that score.
I didn't realize people play on the 5 ball setting. What other dip switch settings do you use?
I think ours is set to all the standard settings.

#1523 2 years ago

Dang, I must be hard core or old school. Haha. 3 balls. No extra balls. Had my first game just over 2 million last night.
For me, the hardest letters to get are both of the "F"s.

#1526 2 years ago

Off the top of my head, these are the dip switch settings I can remember.

3 balls.
No extra balls awarded.
Speech and sounds on.
The right spinner value is reset after each ball.
The multiplier is reset after each ball.
I think Apollo lights are off after each game, but light up after spelling "BLAST-OFF".
However, locked balls stay in the launcher between games.

#1532 2 years ago

Dang, you guys have some great looking Flight 2000 machines. Mine looks very tired compared to the restorations you guys have.

1 week later
#1535 2 years ago

How do you guys like to align your flippers? I see there are pins in the playfield below the flippers, but I'm not exactly sure what those are for. Visually, I think it looks best when the flippers align at the same downward angles as the in-lanes. Is there a flipper position that is ideal for playing the game?

2 weeks later
#1545 2 years ago

My 2nd highest score. Almost had a second BLAST OFF on ball #3. The machine continues to work reliably for us. This summer I'll do some work on some light sockets, and figure out why the 2nd Stage Go light is always on. Other than that the machine just has some cosmetic issues that would require paint touch ups to the play field. It's a fun machine and a keeper.

HTNG5310[1] (resized).JPGHTNG5310[1] (resized).JPG

#1546 2 years ago

Had my best game ever. 3 balls. Bonus multiplier carriers over each ball. Right spinner value resets each ball. One F does not spot the other F. Achieved 2 multi-balls/BLAST OFFs!

IMG_8011[2] (resized).JPGIMG_8011[2] (resized).JPG
#1547 2 years ago

Last night I changed out the left flipper bushing, plunger, and coil stop on my Flight 2000. Can someone post a photo of their left flipper? The wiring on mine looks strange. After putting everything together, the plunger is very weak now and eventually began to not work. I'm wondering if the end of stroke switch is not working properly? I have new switches I can put on that came with the rebuild kit.

The coil has 3 places on the tab thing to connect the wires, but I don't remember seeing any diodes on it. I'll try working on it Friday evening to see if I can get it all back to normal. I did notice that some strands of wire have broken off of at least one soldered connection.

Thanks for the assistance.

#1549 2 years ago

^Thanks Clodpole. That helps a lot! I will get out the soldering iron on Friday evening and report back the results!

#1552 2 years ago

What have I done wrong with the left flipper? If I start the machine and press the left flipper, the game restarts. Right flipper works fine.

4DD96A75-FA9D-480F-951A-D6C5F010E0BF (resized).jpeg4DD96A75-FA9D-480F-951A-D6C5F010E0BF (resized).jpeg
#1554 2 years ago

Thanks, I’ll switch the blue and green wires tomorrow night.

#1556 2 years ago

Thanks. It looks like the diodes are already oriented in the way you show with your added diode graphics.

I thought about the MPU voltage dropping last night, so I got out the multi-meter. I checked the TP4 and TP5 on the MPU and the voltage all was strong. I also checked the test points on the solenoid driver board and they all seemed fine still. There wasn't a voltage drop between the solenoid driver board and the MPU.

#1558 2 years ago

I switched the blue/white and the green wire and the game still restarts when I press the left flipper.

With the machine on there is:
45 volts is going to the green wire.
45 volts to the blue/white wire.
45 volts to center tab.
Open up the end of stroke switch and all 3 still have 45 volts.

#1560 2 years ago

No luck finding a problem with the left flipper wires.

Here is the diagram I have for the flippers.
Left flipper button has an orange and a blue wire. Looks like the orange is supposed to go to the J2-9 pin on the Power Rectifier Board inside the base cabinet?
Blue wire goes to the Solenoid Driver Board in the head cabinet to the J2-2 pin?

Am I understanding the diagram properly?

IMG_8052[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8052[1] (resized).JPG

#1561 2 years ago

Machine is having big problems now. My son turned it on and the speaker makes a big gumming noise and the mpu doesn’t do the 7 beeps. Guess I’ll look at the power rectifier board fuses next. I think the general illumination was coming on still.

#1563 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

How many beeps are you getting at power up, if any?

Zero beeps. Just a loud buzzing sound. So I quickly turned off.

#1564 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Zero beeps. Just a loud buzzing sound. So I quickly turned off.

Maybe I need to go to the pinwiki and start from the beginning with the power rectifier board connections.
I seem to remember a sequence of plugging in connectors that was listed there.

#1566 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Wild guess, you've lost DC filtration on the 12V supply rail.
Measure the voltage on the solenoid driver board at test point TP5. If it's below say 14 volts DC then the big filter capacitor on the solenoid driver board at C23 may be bad or lost connection (possibly the ground at J3 pin 10 on the solenoid driver board connector).

Thank you Quench. TP5 on the Solenoid Driver Board measures about 10.5 volts. It looks like the capacitor on the board at C23 has been replaced and is not original. However, I do not know how old that is.

Here is the back side of my solenoid driver board. I've never pulled it out of the machine before.

IMG_8074[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8074[1] (resized).JPG
#1568 2 years ago

Thanks Quench, looks like my board has some issues. I will touch up a few solder connections and add the ground jumpers.

I found a post from Vid1900 and here are the photos of the improvements for the board he recommends to bulletproof them.
I might as well replace the 2 capacitors since they are cheap.
I also need to install new male pins.

IMG_8078[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8078[1] (resized).JPGWOQB6365[1] (resized).JPGWOQB6365[1] (resized).JPG

#1569 2 years ago

I've added the ground modifications for C26 and C23. I tested the voltage across the C23 legs and measured 13.5 volts.
The game boots up and the mpu does the 7 beeps.
When I start a game and press the left flipper, the mpu reboots.

#1570 2 years ago

Is it normal for the flipper relay to spark? When the right flipper is pressed the game works and there is no spark in the flipper relay. When we press the left flipper, there is a spark in the flipper relay and the machine reboots.

#1575 2 years ago

Hi Quench, here is a photo of the front of my board from yesterday. I believe the C23 has been replaced previously by someone.
I have some diodes and can replace them on the left flipper. I won't be able to get to that for a few days.
I've gone ahead and ordered a new flipper relay from Great Plains, as well as new header pins. My pins are looking in bad shape with lots of the plating gone on them.

KMUV4190[1] (resized).JPGKMUV4190[1] (resized).JPG

#1577 2 years ago

Looks like 15,000 uF.

The voltage across C23 is 29.7 volts AC.

IMG_8087[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8087[1] (resized).JPG

#1579 2 years ago

My Fight 2000 is back in service! I replaced the diodes on the left flipper and all is working properly now!
Thank you very much to everyone who has assisted. Over the next several weeks I'll work on replacing the header pins and connectors for the solenoid driver board.

#1581 2 years ago

I played a few games and everything was fine. The last game had something still a little funny with the left flipper like it is binding. It got stuck in the up position, like the spring didn't return it back to the resting position. I don't think the coil was causing it to be open with the left flipper button released.

#1585 2 years ago

Well, it stopped working again. The plunger, coil stop, and end of stroke switch are all new.
Back to the drawing board. At least I got a few games in. haha.

#1588 2 years ago

I'm going to have my son order entire new flipper assemblies from Pinball Life or someplace like that. Since my flippers appear to be jacked up, let's start from scratch with whole new assemblies for the left and right. What are the proper flipper coils to order? I guess I can look at the manual, but don't have it on hand with me right now since I'm at work.

#1590 2 years ago

I am still struggling. I crimped new trifurcon contacts for the power/rectifier board in the base cabinet. Left flipper still not working.

I have removed the left coil and want to see if it is still good. I removed the diodes and they seemed to test fine.

Are the coil winding wires connected properly on this one?
A. Looks like a thick wire is on the left tab and center tab.
B. Looks like both a thin and fat wire are both connected to the center tab.
B. Looks like a thin wire on the right tab.

Thank you.

IMG_8104[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8104[1] (resized).JPG
#1592 2 years ago

Thanks Quench. I got around 3 ohms on the thick wire. Unfotunately, I broke the thin wire on the middle tab. Ugh. Whole new flipper assemblies are on the way as a Father's Day gift from my son.

I am gathering materials to make some improvements to the solenoid driver board. New flipper relay, new header pins, new crimp connectors, new plugs. New large capacitors. This will be my first time trying to rehab a circuit board, so hopefully I won't destroy it. haha.

#1593 2 years ago

I installed 2 new complete flipper assemblies and the flippers appear to be working fine. I do get an occasional loud feedback noise that lasts a second or two when the machine turns on. So I will work on replacing the large capacitors on the solenoid driver board next.

#1595 2 years ago
IMG_8119[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8119[1] (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1598 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

The manual does say Q52, BUT there are two Second Stage Go lamps. That would be a different transistor type that has the capability to control two lamps (MCR-106 vs. one lamp transistor 2N5060).
Are both Second Stage Go lamps stuck on?
Maybe someone can confirm which transistor it is to be sure.
Transistor testing process https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Testing_Lamp_Driver_SCRs
You can compare results to other like transistors to confirm.
The 2N5060 are available at greatplainselectronics https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2N5064
Ed recommends 2N5064 as the replacement.
The MCR106 are https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCR106-6
Not a difficult job. What kind of soldering iron and types of soldering work have you performed previously?

This afternoon I decided to look at my lamp driver board on my Flight 2000. I am having these two issues: a. The second stage go light below the 5 drop targets is always illuminated. b. The shoot again light is always illuminated.

I'm new to reading schematics, but it looks like the Q52 transistor handles the second stage go and Q13 transistor handles shoot again.
For the first time ever, I removed the Q52 transistor and Q13 transistors. I've never worked on a lamp board before. I replaced the transistors with MCR106-6 transistors and that whole process seemed to go fine.

After putting the lamp driver board back in the machine, the two lamps continue to be illuminated all the time.
Does anyone have other suggestions to help my troubleshooting? The MCR106-6 transistor is different than the MCR-106-1 and 2N5060 listed on the schematic. Is it possible I put the MCR-106-6's in backwards with the legs going to the wrong spots on the board?

Thanks for the help.

#1600 2 years ago

Thanks Lovef2K. I'll go ahead and order some of the original 2N5060 transistors. The schematic I'm looking at for Flight 2000 says that the "Shoot Again (playfield) and Shoot Again (Backbox) both utilize the MCR106-1 transistor on Q3. I think the 106-6 were suggested as an equivalent because the 2nd stage go has two lights controlled on the playfield for that. Looks like my board is a Bally from 1981.

In conclusion it looks like I replaced the wrong transistor. I replaced Q13 instead of Q3 for the Shoot Again lights!!!!! Ooops!!!!

Here are photos of my handiwork. haha. It was pretty fun. I switched the legs of the transistor around as mentioned in the pinwiki and now both lights no longer work at all. Before they were illuminated all the time. Now off all the time.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Mcr106_subbed_for_2n5060.jpg

On the plus side, my soldering is improving some.
IMG_8220[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8220[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8221[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8221[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8222[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8222[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_8224[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8224[1] (resized).JPG
#1602 2 years ago

Over the weekend I successfully changed the two large capacitors on the solenoid driver board. The machine still occasionally makes a terrible squelching noise for a second or two when the game is turned on. I'll look more into the 2nd stage go and shoot again light issues next weekend.

1 week later
#1604 2 years ago

I spent some time last night looking at my Flight 2000, playing it, and soldering some light sockets that were weak, flickering, or out.

The Apollo 2 Second Stage Go light on the playfield under the bank of 5 drop targets is always illuminated. This light socket has a yellow wire with blue dashed stripes on it.

The Shoot Again light on the playfield is always illuminated. This light socket has a gray wire with red dashed stripes on it.

When you guys are counting the pin number on the connectors to the circuit boards in the head, would a pin #1 be on the top or on the bottom?

At this point I'm not quite sure how to figure out the correct transistors to replace or test?

#1606 2 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the help Lovef2k. I never knew that about the numbers for the pins on the circuit boards. Very cool.
I'll report back with any progress.

#1607 2 years ago

I think I might have corrected the Apollo 2 Second Stage Go light problem. After looking at the connectors and wire colors it traced it back to the Q30 SCR. I did the diode test on Q30 and it was reading really low. So I swapped in another SCR and it appears to be working just fine now.

My last remaining problem is the Shoot Again light is continuously illuminated. I'll dig into that one next.

#1609 2 years ago

The schematic, wires, and circuit board seem to trace back to SCR Q3 for the shoot again lamp. I replaced Q3 a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure what's up with that one. I can't find anything wrong with it, or the wires to the lamp.

There is a shoot again lamp on the back glass and also one one the playfield, so that means it has to be controlled by a MCR-106 SCR, right?

#1610 2 years ago

I am thinking about back when the shoot again light problem began and I am wondering if I created the problem myself? The shoot again light was working properly. However about a month or two ago, I was looking at the back side of the backbox lights and trying to replace all the burned-out or non-functional bulbs. I noticed that a light on the back box was not coming on and it looked like the light socket was not connected to the general illumination string of lights. So I jumped a wire over to the socket to get it working.

I need to look at this again tonight, but I'm wondering if I connected that controlled shoot again light socket on the backbox to the general illumination by mistake? If so, is it possible that this is also back feeding to the shoot again lamp on the playfield?

I'll report back what I see tonight.

#1613 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That would mean that the backbox shoot again is always lit as well?

Yes, I noticed yesterday when I was playing the machine that the backbox Shoot Again lamp was also illuminated. I think that could be my problem. I'll check it out tonight after dinner.

#1614 2 years ago

What does the backglass wiring for the "Shoot Again" lamp look like on your machines? Can someone post a photo?

I believe the "Shoot Again" lamp is under the Player 2 score display. My understanding is that a gray with red dashed wire should connect to one leg of the lamp. Does the other leg of the lamp connect to ground?

Unrelated, I was playing the game yesterday and achieved a Blast-Off multi-ball on ball #2. During multi-ball I did not get any balls locked into the ball launcher. So all 3 balls ended up in the ball trough. The game just sat there and didn't do anything. The backround bonging sounds kept happing like a ball was in play. It's like the machine did not recognize that ball #2 was over and it needed to eject ball #3 out. So I'm not sure if that is related to the shoot again lamp situation, or if it is a trough switch or something else.

#1617 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Glad that I'm reading schematics properly and Q3 is the correct SCR. I have replaced that SCR once and the shoot again lamp on the playfield is stuck on all the time. For the back box, there is a gray with red dashed wire that has been cut and a new length of wire soldered to it to get to the shoot again lamp. There are no other control wires from the wire harness that go to that lamp for some reason. It looks like something happened here before it came to my ownership. I tried running another wire to ground on the other side of the lamp, but it isn't working. I did solder that lamp to the backbox GI by mistake a while ago, so the backbox shoot again light was also on all the time.

Should I replace the Q3 SCR again?

#1621 2 years ago

Awesome guys! Thanks much. I'll try to replicate that setup this weekend.

I'm still not quite sure I understand how the backbox shoot again lamp is controlled. In the photo, it looks like the gray with red dashed wire comes over to the lamp socket from the top wire harness.

Then a black controlled wire comes across from the Tilt lamp below and attaches to the same point on the shoot again lamp?

#1624 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Grey/Red wire to one terminal of the Shoot Again lamp. Black wire to the other terminal.

Got it! I also zoomed in on the photo and see the 2 wires are at different sides of the lamp base. I'll report back how it goes.

#1625 2 years ago

Wow! You guys are geniuses. Thank you LoveF2k, emsrph, and Quench! I would be lost without you. My Flight 2000 had no wire connecting the backbox Shoot Again lamp to the Tilt Lamp. I soldered a wire between the two and that resolved all the Shoot Again problems. Now, both the playfield and backbox shoot again lamps are off and then blink when a ball gets locked in the ball walker and a new ball is ejected out to the plunger.

#1627 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Awsome, they will also light and stay lit when awarded an extra ball if you have it set that way.

Cool. I’ll look into the extra ball setting dip switch now that the lamps work!

#1628 2 years ago

I played some yesterday and achieved multi-ball on ball #2 and again the ball-walker got confused, even when 1 ball ended in the Walker and 2 were in the trough.

Is there anything I should examine on the ball-walker to make sure it’s working properly? It always has the correct speech when First and Second stages are go and locked.

18994B43-9A2B-4C84-8BFF-FEA938A95432 (resized).jpeg18994B43-9A2B-4C84-8BFF-FEA938A95432 (resized).jpegCB7EC667-C4A4-4909-9B65-26EBB812258B (resized).jpegCB7EC667-C4A4-4909-9B65-26EBB812258B (resized).jpeg
#1629 2 years ago

I'm still having difficulty with my F2K. I had a good weekend checking over the light sockets and doing some soldering to get them all what I think is fully functional.

Let me describe the problem the game is having at the moment.

1. If I play a game and don't get any balls up into the ball walker, the game works fine. The three trough switches seem to work fine. It ejects balls into the shooter lane and things work as expected.

2. If lock 1 ball into the ball walker, it seems to work fine. The game keeps playing normally. After I get a second ball into the ball walker, the game will eject a ball into the shooter lane, but begin to act like a ball has drained. It goes though the bonus count down just like a ball was sensed in the trough. It will do this a couple of times until the 3 ball game is ended.

I have checked the trough switches and they all seem fine. For fun I soldered on a new diode on the right outhole trough switch.

I checked the Solenoid Driver Board test points and get 4.8 volts on all of the 5 volt test points.
Over on the MPU board I get 4.7 volts at the 5 volt test point.
All of the other test point voltages seemed in normal range.

It does look like one leg on a small capacitor has been cut from a roll over leaf switch (see photo).

When the two balls roll into the ball walker, the machine voice speaks the "first stage go" and "second stage go" prompts accurately.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks again.
Tom

IMG_8308[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8308[1] (resized).JPG

#1631 2 years ago

I just played the machine again. The game worked fine. Then I got 2 balls into the ball walker. The outhole kicked the remaining ball into the shooter lane and I let it sit there. Then it acted like I lost a ball down the drain and the bonus countdown happened. It kept trying to kick another ball out the outhole and the 5 bank drop targets kept resetting until it ended after ball 3.

I'll do the switch test.

#1632 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It sounds like your out hole switch is stuck closed to me. I think anyway.

Switch #33 Out Hole (Right) is activated in the test. I have the old style ball trough. The leaf switch for Out Hole (Right) looks open to me with the balls out. The manual says Out Hole (Right) is a brown wire at J2-8.

I removed the J2 connector from the MPU and did the switch test again and got a 0.

IMG_8312[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8312[1] (resized).JPG

#1633 2 years ago

Thank you, LoveF2K. You helped me again! I re-examined the Out Hole (Right) leaf switch and one of those short thick adjuster leaves was touching and closing the switch and making it read as closed. After a slight adjustment all seems back to normal. I'll play a bunch of games tonight to run it through a bunch of scenarios.

#1635 2 years ago

Played for an hour solid. Only blasted off once with 3 ball games. The game did not shut down on me like before.

Latest problem is that the right flipper is getting stuck some. The entire flipper assembly is about a month old. The flipper bat is old though. I can't tell if it is getting magnetized or if is is binding mechanically. I got out the allen wrench and tried to adjust it some, but it is still sticking. It sticks up about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch and then works it's way back down as I'm playing.

That's all for now. Major problem fixed with a minor adjustment. Now a minor problem.

#1639 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That's good but strange. Let's hope it stays this way.
I remember from your previous pics on this thread that the coil stop on the flipper was not centered screwed through the flipper plate into the playfield. If the coil stop is pitched, it may cause the plunger to shift instead of hitting flush. Also the coil may have swelled from getting hot at one point and this will cause some binding of the plunger. Have you replaced the coil sleeve and/or return spring?

LoveF2K, I installed all new flipper assemblies, coils, brackets, coil stops, coil sleeves, end of stroke switches, everything was new except for the old flipper bats.

#1649 2 years ago

The right flipper is no longer sticking. There was some black stuff on the plunger for some reason, so I cleaned it off.

1 week later
#1653 2 years ago

Hi Flight 2000 guys. I have several of those red plastic posts that are cracked and disintegrating. Where can I buy replacements?

Also, I have flipped the dip swtich on my game so that it will award an extra ball. Can someone explain exactly how you earn the extra ball? I think it has something to do with the red special lights that illuminate after a Blast Off? I'm pretty sure I hit that stationary bonus multiplier target a couple of times during multi-ball and it awarded me an extra ball. Am I correct on that?

Thanks!

#1656 2 years ago

Here's a cool photo my son took of our Flight 2000 last night as we played a few games. Samsung phones take some nice photos.

IMG_8397[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8397[1] (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1657 2 years ago

Yesterday after work I had a nice game for me. I really am enjoying the dip switch setting change that allows the "Special" to award an extra ball. I played 2 or 3 games and then had a game where I achieved two Blast Off multi-balls. During each multi-ball I was able to spell Blast Off again and was awarded an extra ball twice after hitting the red "Special" lights. I like how the red "Special" lights moved around alternating between the left and right out lanes and that center "Special" target up the middle of the ball walker. Since the "Special" lights are usually not illuminated, they get your attention with the bright red color. I'm also really happy that the "Shoot Again" light is working properly now. Thanks to everyone who helped me diagnose and repair that issue.

IMG_8417[1] (resized).JPGIMG_8417[1] (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1661 2 years ago

Hey, what is the deal with the guys who have been writing new code for old Bally and Stern games? I have seen videos of the updates to Meteor and Trident machines. The one for Trident seemed neat to me. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned they were doing the same thing for Flight 2000. Any videos of how the game plays with the different programming?

1 month later
#1677 2 years ago

Looks great compared to mine.

2 weeks later
#1685 2 years ago
Quoted from ibuypinballs:

Anyone looking to join the club, I have a nice F2K in the mark place.

I saw Pete’s Flight 2000 at the York show last month. The playfield looked really nice for an original machine. My Flight 2000 is worn out and beat. This looks like a fantastic and easy project for someone looking for a great classic Solid State machine. Pete is also a great seller and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again.

Machine - For Sale

Stern Flight 2000

Used - shows wear, needs some work “I listed this and took the ad down after two days. I had several people ask if it boots up. I removed the ad and tossed the head on and got the 7 flashes. See the video. Was able t...”

3 days ago

Whitehouse Station, NJ

1,500 (Firm)

ibuypinballs

#1688 2 years ago

I was able to get replacement drop targets from Marco earlier this year.

#1692 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I have a couple repros in my F2K and have no problems.

Me too. I replaced my 1-5 drop targets with ones from Marco.

1 week later
#1696 2 years ago

Orange is the new purple. haha.

#1698 2 years ago

Orange is the new blue? haha. I'm not sure which way it was supposed to go.

4 weeks later
#1715 2 years ago

You guys have amazing playfields. Mine is beat and worn out. One day I need to swap in a new playfield.
Those orange plastics are wild. I think the blue/purple plastics are standard from the factory.

1 month later
#1753 2 years ago

You guys are killing me with your beautiful playfields!

#1755 2 years ago

Thanks! I’m considering it. Wish it was half the price though. Haha. I’m keeping an eye out for used playfields too.

2 weeks later
#1758 2 years ago

I threw one of those white ceramic power balls into our Flight 2000 a couple nights ago and my son and I are having a lot of fun with it. Anyone else ever done that for a change of pace?

1 week later
#1770 2 years ago

Question for you guys. I added those seigecraft boards to stop my playfield lights from flickering. Now the game over light does not illuminate on the back box. I broke out the schematic last night and it appears I should check out the J2 11 pin and Q33 MCR 106 transistor. The wires for the lamp socket seem fine on the back box, but the game over lamp socket is controlled light where I attached that seigecraft alligator clip to. Any troubleshooting tips for me?

1 month later
#1774 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Question for you guys. I added those seigecraft boards to stop my playfield lights from flickering. Now the game over light does not illuminate on the back box. I broke out the schematic last night and it appears I should check out the J2 11 pin and Q33 MCR 106 transistor. The wires for the lamp socket seem fine on the back box, but the game over lamp socket is controlled light where I attached that seigecraft alligator clip to. Any troubleshooting tips for me?

I just wanted to post that this issue is resolved. I'm not exactly sure how it was resolved, other than I moved the machine into another room and had to take the head off the machine along the way. I reseated all of the connections and made sure the alligator clip to the "Game Over" lamp was making good connection. Everything is working swell now.

2 weeks later
#1787 2 years ago

The free game settings can be adjusted in the menu so that a free game is awarded at a very low point value. I did that with mine so that it pretty much awards a free game credit right away after hitting a few switches. If I remember correctly, it keeps my credits up around 25 all the time.

#1792 2 years ago

I need to look into my multi-ball blast off issue again. I played a game last night and blasted off on ball #2. Two of the balls drained down the middle, but the third ball ended up locked in the ball walker. The game just sat there because it didn't know what happened to the third ball. Any ideas for what I need to look into to repair that? I presume it is something on the ball walker side of things. I've never really looked at how that mechanism works. It seems to work fine as far as locking two balls goes and launching them. The ball trough switches all seem fine from what I can tell too.

Thanks,
Tom

#1794 2 years ago

Hi Clodpole. If I remember correctly it occurs if I get multi-ball on ball 1 or ball 2. Multi-ball seems to work fine if I get it on ball 3.

#1796 2 years ago

Yes, 3 balls per game.

#1799 2 years ago

Thanks slochar. I’ll take the glass off and try to replicate the problem. I’m almost certain it walked down to the stage 1 locker.

#1802 2 years ago

I just played a game and it worked fine. I blasted off on ball #2. I got a ball locked in stage 1 during the multi ball. Then when the other 2 balls drained, it moved on to ball #3 just fine.

This afternoon I reflowed the solder connections on the roll over switch at the entrance to the ball walker. I also cleaned and adjusted the switch. I’ll play it some more and report back.

While the playfield was up I also replaced a flakey light socket on the 10,000 bonus value. My first time replacing a light socket and things went fine. I probably have another 10 light sockets to replace that I’ll work on next.

#1805 2 years ago

Played a couple of games of Flight 2000 last night and got a new high score. The multi-ball and ball locker seemed to work properly for now. I was able to blast off on ball #2 and lock a couple of balls into the ball walker. I earned two extra balls by hitting that special target a few times between the drops.

Maybe this summer I'll attempt some playfield touch ups.

IMG_9892[1] (resized).JPGIMG_9892[1] (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#1829 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: The lamp sockets that I have had to repair have the same problem.
------ Lamp sockets become loose from the brass eyelet inner clinched lip
------ breaking. Most lamp sockets can be repaired by reclinching the brass
------ eyelet. However, every now and then, the eyelet has to be replaced.

How would I go about "reclinching" the brass so it doesn't spin around? What tools are needed? What is the best method? I just bought a supply of replacement lamp sockets, but curious how a repair of the original could be attempted?

2 months later
#1858 1 year ago

I have this same problem.

#1873 1 year ago

Yes, that ball should be pushing down on the switch.

1 week later
#1904 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I'm going to duplicate your screwdriver test. I installed a whole new assembly after an EOS broke, 'cause I noticed a stripped hole under the solenoid bracket. Foolishly, I thought "I might as well just put in a new assembly". Now, that flipper has a weird, intermittent sticking behavior.
I'll be gone for a while but would like to continue the conversation.

My left flipper has the same sticking issue and I also replaced the whole flipper assembly last year. I never figured out exactly what was causing it.

#1906 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

We can start a mini-club: guys with sticky new flipper assemblies!

haha. The right side is totally fine though, so I don't understand why one would be affected and not the other.

1 month later
#1939 1 year ago

I haven't looked into this yet guys, but was wondering on your quick suggestions for what could be going on with my Flight 2000. My son and I played a two player game on Saturday night. My son was Player 1 and I Player 2. We played a few games and we both got 2 balls locked in the ball locker mechanism. For some reason the Second Stage Go light did not illuminate for my son. However, the Second Stage Go light did work for me. My son also played some single player games and Second Stage Go light continued to not work for him. Any thoughts about why it would not work for Player 1 only?

Thanks,

Tom

#1941 1 year ago

Thanks, I'll try to take a look at it this weekend. I just thought it really strange that the Apollo 2 light worked for player #2, but not for player #1.

#1945 1 year ago

I’ll mess around with it more with a multi-player game and the glass off. Then report back.

1 month later
#2020 1 year ago

Hi Guys. What is the wisdom about the sound board bullet proofing? I've noticed that if I don't play my Flight 2000 often enough the speech gets all fouled up. However, if I play the game a bunch the speech is fine. Is that a symptom of capacitors that have lost their ability to retain voltage and need to be changed out?

#2042 1 year ago

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. haha Some people on here are super smart and it amazes me.

1 week later
#2052 1 year ago

Kevlar My 1st stage go and 2nd stage go lights don't work like you describe. Mine illuminate as I lock the balls.

1 week later
#2062 1 year ago

My F2K speech is distorted. The sound effects seem fine and clear. I pulled the SB300 last night and replaced the 3 big caps with these. The speech is still distorted. Any recommended next steps?

The J2 and J3 connectors don't seem very tight, so I'll re-pin those tonight.

Thanks.

0C65F071-6244-4056-849C-7F8657683237 (resized).jpeg0C65F071-6244-4056-849C-7F8657683237 (resized).jpeg9147F2F1-643C-4E58-89DA-7152189D904E (resized).jpeg9147F2F1-643C-4E58-89DA-7152189D904E (resized).jpeg

#2063 1 year ago

Maybe I have a ground issue or something like that related to the controlled playfield lights? I just played 10 games. The speech worked perfectly twice. The other 8 games had various degrees of distorted speech and sound effects. Sometimes it was like the speech was in slow motion. Other times the speech was totally distorted and you couldn't tell what was happening. Sometimes, it was ok, but just a little distortion and static.

After the last game I left it in attract mode. I was getting static noises in unison with the playfield lights flashing in attract mode.

#2065 1 year ago

Reseated the connectors between all the boards, but still having distortion.

1E33CB65-DD8C-4FC6-B1C2-4A71FA47EB98 (resized).jpeg1E33CB65-DD8C-4FC6-B1C2-4A71FA47EB98 (resized).jpeg
#2066 1 year ago

Reseated the J4 connector on the lamp board. Installed new connector and pins for J2 on the SB300.

Test played a game and speech was great. Will play more games tomorrow.

B39C9058-783E-4B06-B924-95F874786E2A (resized).jpegB39C9058-783E-4B06-B924-95F874786E2A (resized).jpegDADE8F89-1988-4348-9157-BDC66D270F6F (resized).jpegDADE8F89-1988-4348-9157-BDC66D270F6F (resized).jpeg
#2067 1 year ago

Played a bunch of games this morning. Finally blasted off. Speech and sound is working good as new.

1CFC5EF8-6374-46CE-AEB6-25E9F88E1B89 (resized).jpeg1CFC5EF8-6374-46CE-AEB6-25E9F88E1B89 (resized).jpeg
#2069 1 year ago

Yup. Hopefully it helps people. I think you are correct about that reseating the J4 connector on the lamp board was likely the solution. The J2 connector on the SB300 was super loose. It would slide off with almost no tension. Renewing that connector has got to be a good thing. It looked original to the machine.

#2072 1 year ago

Played a few games today and the distortion is back. Not as bad as before, but still not normal. I’ll look at that J4 lamp board and the connector.

#2076 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Played a few games today and the distortion is back. Not as bad as before, but still not normal. I’ll look at that J4 lamp board and the connector.

Reseated the J4 connector again on the lamp board and the speech played well afterwards. I’ll keep an eye on it.

#2078 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Check the header pins on both boards for cold solder joints.

Thanks Rich, the SB300 header pins all look fine, but I’ll pull the lamp board the next time it acts up.

Update: Still getting distorted and garbled speech. Removed the lamp board and reflowed header pins. Also removed the speech board and reflowed header pins. Pulled the two biggest chips, cleaned the legs and carefully reinstalled. Still getting the distorted speech.

#2081 1 year ago

My speech troubles continue. Garbled, distorted, nothing works fine, then garbled again. The .100 connectors are all original. I need a specific crimp tool for .100, right? I’ve got a .156 too though. I’m thinking I need to refresh the connectors anyways.

#2083 1 year ago

Refreshed J3 on the SB 300 and sounds were clear. J3 is speaker out and speaker ground. Played a test and all speech and sound was clear. I’ll report how it plays tomorrow. Should see a bunch of games with Thanksgiving company.

Update: Played a few games this morning and all was fine. It was short lived joy though, started another game and garbled distorted speech came back. Boo!

B9F93386-7E3E-4BF5-8F55-F50D56BD02E1 (resized).jpegB9F93386-7E3E-4BF5-8F55-F50D56BD02E1 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2092 1 year ago

My Flight 2000 speech has been acting fine since Thanksgiving. I reflowed the solder on the back side of the header pins on both the speech and sound boards, so maybe that resolved the issue.

#2094 1 year ago

Speech is distorted again. Ooops. Blasting off for multi-ball without the speech is not nearly as fun.

#2095 1 year ago
Quoted from Bakchos:

Hey guys,
Hardtops is not an option for sterns I guess,
Anyone knows of partial overlays, like for the planet part?
I saw someone in a restore post using one but I can't find where he got it from.
Thanks

A planet overlay on down would be great.

#2097 1 year ago

I had a nice game last night and for the first time managed 15 x Bonus Multiplier!

My speech is still messing up and my machine still has a problem and loses track of balls when a blast off/multi-ball happens. Still a fun machine, but I need to get the issues figured out in 2023.

2EBED722-3B11-48FE-BDBD-1B4A20127BB6 (resized).jpeg2EBED722-3B11-48FE-BDBD-1B4A20127BB6 (resized).jpeg
#2099 1 year ago

I think my next step will be to rebuild the J4 connector on the lamp driver board. This morning I reseated the connector and played a few games and the speech and sound worked perfectly.

9FB39896-DF1D-45FA-80DC-EC56171BB889 (resized).jpeg9FB39896-DF1D-45FA-80DC-EC56171BB889 (resized).jpeg
#2101 1 year ago

Before I pull the speech board, I decided to test the voltages on the lamp driver board, SB-300, and VSU-100. Here’s what I measured.

Lamp Driver Board
TP1 4.5 v
TP3 4.5 v

SB-300
TP1 0 v
TP2 13.4 v
TP3 9.6 v
TP4 4.5 v
TP5 2.2 v
TP6 0 v

VSU-100
TP2 4.5 v
TP3 -9.3 v

#2102 1 year ago

Removed the lamp driver board and sucked the solder off the header pins for J4 and flowed new solder on.

Removed the speech board and sucked the solder off the header pins and flowed new solder on.

My son played a few games and said the speech and sound were fine.
I’ll report back how it goes as we play more games on it.

#2104 1 year ago

This J3 connector and voice out circuit might be the issue. I will probably work on this connector first on the speech board.

20DD3B10-154A-4293-A5E1-4DAFF2EE5451 (resized).jpeg20DD3B10-154A-4293-A5E1-4DAFF2EE5451 (resized).jpeg
#2105 1 year ago

Played a couple of games. Speech and sound are all distorted worse now. Oops. I'm going backwards here. haha.

#2106 1 year ago

Refreshed J3 on the speech board today.

9C1872D7-B815-4704-9FDC-E4EF5E0CDEF3 (resized).jpeg9C1872D7-B815-4704-9FDC-E4EF5E0CDEF3 (resized).jpeg

#2107 1 year ago

Had a good game last night. Almost blasted off twice. Speech and sound worked fine.

#2113 1 year ago

Spent a couple of hours this morning refreshing both ends of the J1 speech board to J4 light board connector.

Played a bunch of games. Blasted off a few times. Speech and sound were good. We will see how it lasts.

Looked at my blown out planet. My playfield is pretty shot.

786978F5-0026-427B-94FD-935729213293 (resized).jpeg786978F5-0026-427B-94FD-935729213293 (resized).jpeg
#2115 1 year ago

Cool Clodpole. The last time I looked they were sold out. I guess they made some more. I’ll have to think hard about that.

#2116 1 year ago

The speech and sound distortion appear to be resolved. Refreshing the speech board to lamp board cable has made a definite impact.

#2117 1 year ago

Can you guys please post some photos of your flipper alignment? Mine are in line with the in-lanes, but it looks like the holes in the playfield indicate the flippers should be lower.

#2122 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses about the flipper position guys. I'll leave it the way it is for now, although I am curious about the droopy position and being able to use the center post to transfer the ball from side to side.

My 25 year old son and I played a couple of games last night. He totally destroyed me after getting multi-ball and an extra ball.

I'm so happy that I figured out the speech problem. The game is much more fun when it is talking to you.

#2128 1 year ago

My flipper angle and my worn out planet. Haha.

428267F8-6D40-4AAE-A3F6-93DCEE232379 (resized).jpeg428267F8-6D40-4AAE-A3F6-93DCEE232379 (resized).jpeg
#2129 1 year ago

Just fired up my F2K for a game at lunch and the distortion is back. Ugh. I guess I'll continue refreshing the connectors for the speech and sound boards. Then I guess look into replacing the capacitors.

1 month later
#2150 1 year ago

My Flight 2000 is having more problems than the occasional distorted speech. Last night the machine shut down on me twice. One time I had just gotten the #1 drop target down and was about to blast off and get multi-ball!

I'm guessing that means I need to get out the multi-meter and check voltages on the test points. The power rectifier board is newish (about 2 years old).

1 month later
#2156 1 year ago

That one is way nicer than mine.

1 week later
#2167 1 year ago

I could use a planet overlay as well.

1 week later
#2168 1 year ago

I played a few games of Flight 2000 last night and stopped because the speech distortion became so terrible. I left the game on attract mode and played a few other pinball machines in my game room. I thought the distortion would stop once the game was over and it was sitting there flashing the lights and high score. However, I noticed the distortion continued and fluctuated intensity with the flashing lights. I eventually turned the machine off.

So, I know that the speech board (J1 connector) is connected to the lamp board controlled lights (J4 connector). I've repinned both of those. Maybe I should install new male header pins for those connectors next?

Having the distorted speech is a major bummer with this machine.

1 month later
#2176 11 months ago

I blasted off this afternoon, game set to 3 ball. Such a difficult multi-ball to earn that gives me a sense of accomplishment.

3 weeks later
#2182 10 months ago

I was on vacation for a bit and missed playing my pinball machines while I was gone. Sunday I had a good Flight 2000 game. 3 ball. I blasted off, got the multi-ball, and earned an extra ball. Sometimes I go a few months without blasting off and getting the multi-ball, so it was nice to get one after only a few games.

IMG_3036[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3036[1] (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#2185 10 months ago

My son got me one of these for Father’s Day. So far it has resolved my distorted speech.

607BC744-E3A2-45A3-9EBF-485E01A8DC14 (resized).jpeg607BC744-E3A2-45A3-9EBF-485E01A8DC14 (resized).jpegDB472D83-55C5-45F3-B85B-8B2C5B261BB6 (resized).jpegDB472D83-55C5-45F3-B85B-8B2C5B261BB6 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#2199 8 months ago

Played my F2K last night and managed to blast off and get the multi-ball during the first game. I had an excellent first ball where I locked two balls and got all the letters except for the two F's. Ball #2 went straight down the middle on the plunge. Ball #3 I somehow got the two F's pretty quickly. At that point I only had to get the #1 drop target before I could blast off!

The new speech board is working well. At some point this winter I need try and work on the original speech board to figure out what the problem was. I spent a lot of time rebuilding connectors, but the speech board was really the issue.

#2204 8 months ago
Quoted from clodpole:

p.s. Do you have your settings so that the two Fs can be gotten by hiting either one? That speed things up a bit.

haha. Nope. I'm all about the punishment. It would be much easier if getting 1 F spotted the other F.

#2205 8 months ago

I kinda like the idea of trying to get the old board working reliably again. A $75 chip is not a good use of money though. I should just go ahead and buy a sceond brand new speech board for just a little more than that. haha.

I'm a novice at replacing components on circuit boards, but figured it would be a fun learning experience if it was easy like replacing all the capacitors.

#2217 8 months ago

I blasted off on my first game last night. I had a pretty good ball #1 and on ball #2 only needed to get 3 of the letters. Ball #3 blasted off and achieved multi-ball. This machine can be super difficult sometimes, and other times very reasonable. So many steps to get that multi-ball, make it feel very rewarding when it happens.

2 weeks later
#2228 7 months ago

Spitfiren8 That is looking great. I really like your flippers and the translucent rubber bands. I plan to eventually switch to the translucent bands on mine.

#2233 7 months ago

I played a game tonight and blasted off. Had a really nice ball 1 and lucked out and got “OFF” completed. 3 ball setting. Lots of fun. I like games with defined and linear objectives.

#2237 7 months ago

The F2K and Flash Gordon combo strikes again! Haha.

AE01EE59-9258-40C1-B373-58709179D395 (resized).jpegAE01EE59-9258-40C1-B373-58709179D395 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#2238 6 months ago

The right spinner on my Flight 2000 broke last night. Is The Pinball Resource the best place to buy a replacement?

84EE82CF-8F3F-4711-9F19-8A6F2CFAA1D8 (resized).jpeg84EE82CF-8F3F-4711-9F19-8A6F2CFAA1D8 (resized).jpeg
#2243 6 months ago

Yup it was terrible timing. I was at the York show on Friday.

#2245 6 months ago

Thanks for the help guys. I went the Marco route and ordered 2 spinners and 2 sets of stickers. Hopefully they arrive on Saturday, so I can install them this weekend.

#2252 6 months ago

Spinners and stickers arrived today!

03FF5DA0-3887-4299-84CE-CD1609DEFB5D (resized).jpeg03FF5DA0-3887-4299-84CE-CD1609DEFB5D (resized).jpeg
#2254 6 months ago

The Williams spinner seems not as thick and probably lighter.

#2256 6 months ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hey, if you haven't installed them yet, replace the broken one first and try a "flick" test. Just spin the old spinner and then the new one by flicking it with your finger. Does the new one spin faster? Longer?

I can do that for you. I'll post back after I try.

#2259 6 months ago

New Williams spinner vs. old Stern spinner. During game play I didn’t notice any difference. The new spinner is missing those plastic spinner arm bushing things though.

#2264 6 months ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Thanks for doing the little experiment. Since it's usually the wireform that breaks, I bet your new, lighter Williams spinner will last quite a while. It's nice to have it as an option, since the Stern replacements aren't readily available.

Sure thing. It works fine in game play and isn't really noticeable. I played a few games last night and blasted off for multi-ball.

1 month later
#2280 5 months ago

And so the magic eraser and alcohol begins.

862FB3E2-1CB1-41C1-9FF9-0182E464EAD1 (resized).jpeg862FB3E2-1CB1-41C1-9FF9-0182E464EAD1 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2284 4 months ago

My dirty orange needs some help. Making some progress on black, dirty green, dirty blue, dirty orange, and dirty purple.

5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
#2286 4 months ago

vec-tor Thanks for the tip. I've been adding some black to the colors and it seemed to help. I'll keep working on it. It is looking better already. I'm not going for perfection. I'm mostly going for something that looks used, is presentable, with a protective coat on top.

1 week later
#2289 4 months ago

Those look like Gottlieb flipper assemblies!

#2297 4 months ago

I’m running whatever is original. I thought some guy started reprogramming it, but stopped it unfinished.

2 months later
#2310 57 days ago

I've begun doing touch ups on a worr playfield that has been depopulated. My planet and bonus area is pretty worn out and my touch ups are a little rough. I'm about to break out the air brush and give that a try. I figured I would throw this out here. Does anyone have scans of the planet and bonus area, or entire playfield? Also wondering if anyone has seen water slide decals for the letters, numbers, or inserts?

Thank you,

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 10.00
$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danmarino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome?tu=danmarino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.