(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chas10e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Hey F2K fans!
Even after much toying around with it and adjusting the metal wall guide before the target bank:
That 50K "DROP 3 TARGETS WITH ONE SHOT" when lite is lit proves 100% elusive!!!
I've had this game for around 20 years but have yet to have those 3 drops on the right sweep with one shot from the left flipper like the one I played at Fun and Games arcade in Framingham when this game first came out. Tried adjusting the angle of where the metal wall guide sits and the best I could get it was I could get the first 2 down with one shot but then the ball would careen away and never get the 3rd.
That 50K "DROP 3 TARGETS WITH ONE SHOT" when lite is lit proves 100% elusive! Anyone have theirs adjusted so it works correctly and sweepable?

the only time they all 3 drop for me is when ball is bobbling around in there off thumper bumper & playfield post across from them. ... then usually comeback down just to stop the spinnier I just got flying

4 months later
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from michaelgeib:

Hi guys,
Long time pinsider but rare poster.
Have a request for a picture - I need to see the wiring from the left flipper coil ... which wires go to which of the 3 lugs ... and then which 2 wires go from the lugs to the exact spot on the flipper switch.
My left flipper started to bind so I did a flipper rebuild ... when I plugged it in to play a test game, I played for a while but suddenly the game shut down (complete power shutdown). I fried the 3A fuse on the rectifier board and I also fried the left flipper coil ... the coil must've melted the coil sleeve as I can't get the coil sleeve out of the coil. So I'm ordering a left flipper coil
Not sure what other damage I've done yet as I need to get the right fuse. Figured while I would at least figure out the wiring for the coil when it arrives. The wiring on my right flipper looks straightforward. The wiring at the 3 coil lugs for the left flipper is very confusing looking ... looks previous owner has multiple wires (at least 3) on the same lug ... so I'm confused at this point.
Sorry for the newbie like question ... I've looked in this thread and at some resto threads but there's no real clear shot of the wiring for the left flipper.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Mike Geib
West Chester, PA

first pic: diodes shown inside of terminal plate , left flipper
 on the coil side of the terminals are a couple of diodes, I don't think new coils have them installed on the coil side of the terminals are a couple of diodes, I don't think new coils have them installed

2'nd pic: flipper button as requested
left flipper button as requestedleft flipper button as requested

3'rd pic: my RIGHT flipper coil has the 3 conductors on 1 terminal
this is my RIGHT flipper with 3 conductors on the one lugthis is my RIGHT flipper with 3 conductors on the one lug

I hope all this helps

7 months later
#76 6 years ago

single drop targets @ PBresouce $4.oo each (x8= $24.oo + some shipping)

http://pbresource.com/pfdroptar.htm#Stern

my drop bank had some shims and was able to put them back the same way I only got the 5 numbered targets but wished I had gotten all 8

4 months later
#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Lol sorry I meant to say where the red/white wire on the main connector that connects to the rectifier board. I'm not super good reading schematics and would love a picture or someone to have a look and let me know.

looks like a couple red ones. lemme know if this helps

IMG_1584 (resized).JPGIMG_1584 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#103 5 years ago

see if these help somewhat , I tried slipping a piece of paper behind so the wire would be more defined

IMG_1601 (resized).JPGIMG_1601 (resized).JPG

IMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1602 (resized).JPG

IMG_1605 (resized).JPGIMG_1605 (resized).JPG

IMG_1603 (resized).JPGIMG_1603 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#119 5 years ago

I have swept them on mine. I haven't replaced the drops there so they may be the originals

I snapped a couple pics & notice the top screw slot for the rail is adjustable and on mine the rail finishes square with the back of the drop targets.

Also I have the flippers resting on the pins as opposed to being parallel with the in-lane guides.

This is just how my game happened to be set up when I got it. I don't always sweep the drops but occasionally it does happen, most times I only get a couple & the third one will drop in time with the ball coming off the pop.

With the flippers on the pins, I can sort of do a pass by letting the ball bounce off the center post as well.

IMG_1645 (resized).JPGIMG_1645 (resized).JPGIMG_1646 (resized).JPGIMG_1646 (resized).JPG
#129 5 years ago

Read a bit through this stuff http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#tp

could be cold solder joints, burnt pins, or a couple of components about to fail

Do you have a multimeter to read the test points ? naturally it's difficult to diagnose an intermittent problem.

When you lifted the playfield does it put ANY strain on the cables going up into the back box ? (I'd think cold solder joints or burnt or broken "trifericon" connector pins)

#142 5 years ago

my #1 drop target on the left is white w/blue stripe while yours is white w/grey on the other contact.

the yellow stripe on mine seems pretty clearly shown as a common feeding the bus to all the switches.

my white w/blue conductor change colors on the other side of the connector to white w/black (as per the playfield schematics)

Anyways the white w/yellow is both correct on my machine & on the schematic

IMG_1647 (resized).JPGIMG_1647 (resized).JPGIMG_1648 (resized).JPGIMG_1648 (resized).JPG
3 months later
#172 5 years ago

watching this video, I noticed my token mech was converted to accept quarters

another good video:

The images from left to right: a Nickle, Dime, Quarter from Bally EM , Then a plastic token mech but I noticed the coin receiver had been worked then another quarter mech & a SBA (Susan B. Anthony) Dollar mech , it will accept newly minted "Presidential Dollars"

They are all the same frame size

IMG_1683 (resized).JPGIMG_1683 (resized).JPGIMG_1685 (resized).JPGIMG_1685 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#191 5 years ago

member @nicovolta had some made. I hadn't tried them as of yet though

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-new-metal-standoffs-under-your-em-plastics#post-

1 month later
#212 5 years ago
Quoted from Winger03:

Hello:
Just picked up a pretty nice Flight 2000 - the children seem to love it.
It is more or less working fine - a couple of adjustments here and there but overall we are pleased.
I have a few items I am hoping someone can help with:
- Between balls and when on attract mode the number "8 8 9" flashes on all 4 score areas. When on attract mode, when this happens the high score indicator lights up. I can't quite resolve why this is happening. I do not get a high score to ever stay up there, the "8 8 9" seems to be in its place.
- We have an Altek board but the machine was rigged for freeplay. On the coin box, where the left most coin slot is, in the space where it might say "1 token" there is a small black button that registers credits. Once credits are registered, I press the large white credit button and the game starts. The problem, however, is that the credits do not show on the score area like if it were a coin operated game. While this is merely cosmetic, I'd like to know if there is a switch setting I can use to make them show up.
- I seem to have a high (at least to me) instance of the ball jumping over the flipper. The incline of the game seems about right - is this common? Could it have something to do with where the rubber-band is on the flipper?
- I'd like to replace the power cord, the current one is not in great shape. Is it as simple as unsoldering the old one and installing a new one in reverse order, or is there something I need to be wary of?
Something interesting..... At one time this machine was running on 220V and was in Argentina. On the left coin slot is says "one token, one credit" in Spanish. Somehow it got there and back and into my basement.
Many thanks in advance, this is a great site!
--Jim

Running an Altek MPU ? the manual there says Stern machines don't have a freeplay setting ... http://www.allteksystems.com/pdfs/Complete%20Ver%20L.3%20MANUAL.pdf
Also says for game that DO support freeplay that the credit display has to be turned off and to check original dipswitch settings
https://www.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Manual.pdf the switch assignment shows #20 to toggle on/off the credit window

I don't have my F2k near me , if you feel the need to replace the cord snap a quick pic of the area where it connects. it will accept a US grounded cord

I do get a couple ball hops over a flipper every now and again , right above the heel of the flippers,the low plastic there should be a wire rail under-there on each side ( I forget where the service bulletin that mentions that ) ... keeps the inlane plastics from breaking.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Ball jumps over the right flipper for me more than the left. I assume it is the physics of the game layout. It likes to punk you once in awhile, part of it's charm. I play 5 ball on this one, still it kicks my ass more than not.

sometimes it's WAY more charming than others .... mine jumps the left flipper more but not really to often to be a real annoyance. I have a good laugh anytime any game does that to me. one time playing Bally Supersonic the ball jumped the flipper, hit the wire rail below the flipper & hopped back over the flipper again to keep on playing. wished THAT happened more often !!!!

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’ve never seen the ball jump the flipper. Do you have the flippers set to the pins, or parallel to the inlane?

Yeah mine are resting on the pins, I haven't tried parallel with the lanes. I don't know the pitch of the machine, not super aggressive steep but not letting the ball noodle-around either.

1 week later
#234 5 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I had a buddy recently pick up a Flight 2000 and for the most part everything seems to be working. The biggest issue I see so far is there is no GI or backbox lighting. I'm thinking this is because J1 as show on the attached photo is extra toasty. What is my best option for a replacement 8 pin connector? Also am I on the correct track that J1 feeds the GI and backbox lighting directly?
[quoted image]

You can replace that individual "Trifurcon pin" http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#connect

the "transformer schematic" only says J1-1 is "Red" but connects to other general illumination returns https://www.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Manual.pdf

7 months later
#514 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Who has used the beehive playfield protector? Thoughts? What did you have to do for install?

I bought "the Beehive" protector and it's great.

Pretty straightforward instructions given to install and everything was included. flipper-washers , shims for under the drop targets ( I needed to tape those in place though )

Removed large ball-walker plastic, spinners , flippers & the two inner out-lane posts used to keep it fastened in place.

The hardest thing was removing the blue plastic film on the new sheet of PETG plastic but again everything was included, a pair nitrile-gloves & a plastic blade

I purchased it during mild weather so it unfurled from the shipping tube & layed flat on the playfield glass right away. the instructions recommended leaving with machine for awhile.

It solved my cupped insert problems and the issue where ridge of the original mylar affected the ball travel especially where the right spinner value inserts where above the right lower sling.

I don't have the machine real close by (it's at "the club") the next time I visited it there was some slight shifting that occurred somehow but unloosing one of the posts & re-tightening made everything smooth again

A friend of mine asked if Beehive they made one for his #big-game and I didn't know but my friend contacted them and one was made for him as it wasn't made available anyplace else. and now at this post see that it's available on their Website

I purchased directly from their Website https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector to save from e-play fees & it shipped quick and shipping was priced right

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Looks like some interesting changes on your playfield compared to mine. You have white acorn nuts instead of metal. Also, looks like someone cut down the plastics on the inlanes right at the flippers and added posts (or is rhat a production change?) Looks like big star posts at the outlanes too. See pics below of mine.[quoted image][quoted image]

Swap the posts with the one further on the outside

4 months later
#595 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I've been trying to resurrect an f2k and I have a short I just can't figure out. pin 8 on J1 pulls 22-24 amps as soon as the power is turned on. All of the boards are out of the game except the CPU. All of the lamp sockets have been replaced and there aren't even bulb in them yet. I'd prefer to not have to undo the wire bundle to trace it all the way back but I'm running out of options.
I realize it's a long shot but does anyone have any idea's on this?

Is there a way to isolate whether it's in the head,on the play-field or the coin-door?

#603 4 years ago

just to rule it out ... is dip switch #17 "on" for "talking feature ?

is there speech in test mode?

I don't have my machine near me to snap a pic of the sound board but will look on my SD card to see if I have one or not.

k found a couple ... hope they help

IMG_1301 (resized).JPGIMG_1301 (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (resized).JPG
#606 4 years ago

member @barakandl has more technical expertise with this board & hope he can chime in with some solutions for you.

3 weeks later
#634 4 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

NIce, what did you use as spacers between the new clear inland guides and the printed plastic?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-new-metal-standoffs-under-your-em-plastics#post-4178348

Not sure if he still is producing theme or not but worth a try

1 month later
#678 4 years ago

1/4 x 1/2 grooved clevis pin

ebay.com link: Clevis Pin Grooved 1 4 x 1 2 SS300 PL 25 Pieces

the above with free shipping is a MUCH better deal than : ebay.com link: ZORO SELECT 15929 1 4x1 2 S S GROOVED CLEVIS

the Harbor freight e-clips are garbage, I got some from Steve Young at Pinball resource ( good price on drop targets there too )

1 week later
#685 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

2 questions.
Where's the volume and how do you get it on Free Play?

You set a credit by score threshold to 10,000 and the other two to whatever the score card reads

1 week later
#713 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

So they all do this?
Thank you.

the 2 service buttons act up as well (on all classic Sterns apparently) ... one of the 2 buttons will cycle through lamp test , solenoid test ect. until you get to bookkeeping ~THEN~ the 2'nd button can be used to clear that field ... if 2'nd button is used before the bookkeeping it crashes the game

2 weeks later
#788 4 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Ahhh... ball hop, a.k.a. "jump the rail". It teaches you to avoid swatting at the ball when it's moving fast.

"Ball hop" refers to when traveling down the inlane towards the flipper, when the ball reaches the heel of the flipper it gives a little hop instead of continuing to travel smoothly.

Aggravating if you like to play "on the fly"

A flipper jump is even more aggravating and I've experienced that too

1 month later
#847 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Thanks, I'll try the fan experiment. As for the belch, this machine has always done it on startup; what changed was the actual sound of the belch. It's got a new version!

2 months later
#930 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Looks like I’ll be starting with the wire in the pic. Do I need to change the white plastic connector piece b/c a wire already burned up in side it? Also, what’s the deal with soldering and crimping? Do you do both, or choose between the two? And also, is my pin reusable or should I put a new on? And also, any chance this wire is the reason the voice doesn’t work (J1 on rectifier board I think)
I know that’s a lot of questions for one wire! But I’m a total noobie and this would be my first time soldering.
Also , still one week in and ripped a huge game this morning for over 3mill so I’m ready to put the game down for a bit to do some repairs!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The crimps & housings can be purchased at Pinball Life or Great Plains Electronics ... don't forget the " Key pins"

the "HD-225" crimper on Amazon is pretty good for like $25.oo https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-best-crimp-tool-for-repinning-connectors

Quoted from tyking:

Looks like I won’t be doing any electrical work now as my hardware store and auto parts store don’t have the connectors or terminals.
In the meantime maybe I can address the back glass issue (with y’all’s help of course!) I’ve been playing with the glass off because it is a nice CPR glass but the parts of the score displays (the line of material that runs along the lower front edge) are rubbing against it so whenever I takeoff the back glass and put it back on it rubs off some paint (See pics).
Is this a thing? Am I better off shaving off the front edge of the score display unit or adjusting the whole frame/bracket of it so it sits farther back in the cabinet farther away from the back glass? Thanks again and as always
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WITH THE POWER OFF ( 185VDC hurts pretty bad ) ... make sure the display is fully seated in the bracket ... if it is I would put a washer between the bracket & the back panel to space it further back.

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hi, sorry for the long gap between posts. You'll recall that my F2K would occasionally brown out the feature lights and make crackly sounds through the speaker.
I checked the rectifier board connectors and found J1 #3 (feature lamp bus) and #6 (solenoid bus) each attached by only 2 wire strands. I replaced those 2 connectors and turned the game on and got a small spark at J2 #6 plug (AC power). The crimp fitting seemed to be corroded or burnt. It took a while to get it and its residue out, but I did and replaced that connector.
Now the game seems to power up correctly. Does that make sense to you?
I'd like to look at the solder joints on the rear of the board, but the little brown fittings holding the board to the metal bracket resist removal. Do you have a method to get them out? Does anyone sell new ones in case I break one of the originals?[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

First couple of times I discovered using a Bic pen slipped over the nipple, compressed it enough to remove the board from it. Then I discovered the shaft of a screwdriver I had was the correct size for me https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1-Precision-Slotted-and-Philips-Screwdriver-71281H/302735272

The Standoff brackets are readily available in different sizes ( the space between the circuit board and the metal bracket ) ... you'll have to measure it I don't have my F2k near by ) https://www.pinballlife.com/spacersstandoffs.html

You'll have to remove the 3 screws for the rectifiers, to replace you will need some new "Thermal paste" A computer store or an auto parts store should have some
-or- https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0087X728K

1 month later
#1061 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I am trying once again to get my F2K to work again. I am replacing the rectifier board and looking for a diagram of the solder points on the original board since they are not labeled. New board labels them as (e1, e2, e3, etc.)

Think you go by the color code of the wires comming off the transformer, https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#How_To_Hook_Up_a_Stern_TA-100_Rectifier_Board

#1062 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Sorry to butt in, but it appears the on/off (a.k.a. power) switch on my game is the source of my reset problems (or perhaps, "a" source). I was testing capacitors on the power board and turned the machine back on and discovered I could make the game work, or reset with a little pressure on the power switch.
Have you ever had a similar problem? Will any dpst toggle of similar size suffice?

Yeah them toggle switches can fail, you should be able to pick one of from a local hardware store

#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Got it. Turns out it wasn’t the tool.
Now I need to combine some knowledge. I’m dive back into the schematic to see if I can confirm that the White-Red wire connects to the #1 pin on the J2 on the VSU-1000. And confirm its function, where it leads.
I will install the pin in the housing and attach the pin head strip, and test it for continuity. If it tests okay then I can move onto the next pin. This way I don’t install a whole group of pins wrong and find out at the end. Does that make sense?
[quoted image][quoted image]

https://i1.pinside.com/4/6c/46c9fadd682827af05c8e0b617bdadd28850c3c0/resized/740/46c9fadd682827af05c8e0b617bdadd28850c3c0.jpeg.jpg

the "strain relief" on the trifuricon pin for the white/red isn't crimped correctly, the HD225 WILL crimp both the conductor and around the insulation (for the strain relief) at the same time

Called the insulation crimp in this article: http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

EDIT: ... or maybe it is .... kinda hard to tell my eyesight is bad

4 weeks later
#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

F2K Trivia (trick question): Why does the pin use the word “stand” in test mode, when it never says the word during gameplay?

Try coining up additional players.

1 week later
#1223 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

What does 1 beep mean.
Didn't see that in the Wiki page.

From here: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm#flash , scroll way down to the "fakers guide" for a good flash explanation ( still a bit over my head but makes a bit of sense to me )

It sounds like you're getting the 2'nd flash but not the 3'rd as member emsrph suspects battery corrosion.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

I ordered the alltak bundle...playing in 3-5 business days

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I would verify voltages at the power supply before installing the new boards. Don't wanna fry anything.

Inspecting the trifuricon connector pins would be a good idea as well & the rejector pins

#1237 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Is there a name for this? When the ball has places in the playfield where it can get “stuck”. If I try to get the ball off this spot by nudging the pin, it always ends up in a tilt. Has anyone else experienced this? How to fix? Angle the pin a bit in the lower to left?
[quoted image]

Mine did that , my first solution was to run a bead of hotmelt glue across top of each target and worked for a good while. (well over a year & 1,000 plays)

Finally one of them came off and ball got trapped again. The location where I have my F2k had some wide and long wooden tongue depressors that I place below all 3 drops under playfield lifting them up slightly and worked pretty good when I left it anyways.

I don't think I have any pics of either solution (**cough** -hack- **cough**)

Quoted from clodpole:

I fixed that by gluing wedges on the "uphill" narrow edge of each drop target. If you look closely at the first pic, you can see the little wedge on the uphill side of each target. (I did my mod with the targets still in the game. It would've been a bit safer to take them out and do the gluing on a workbench.)
I made 'em out of hobby shop plastic stock, which I only found in square cross-section, so I filed it to wedge shape. Now, when the ball hits there it rolls back out. The wedges don't interfere with drop target function.[quoted image][quoted image]

This seems like a more durable & elegant solution

5 months later
#1442 2 years ago

DanMarino , hook up your ground braid in the head

F2k ground braid (resized).jpgF2k ground braid (resized).jpg
#1448 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Coil 14 (trough) doesn't fire in test mode, but tests fine. Possible bad diode? reversed wiring? I did swap this coil out to check, Yellow is to the diode band side.

This has me somewhat stumped.

Doesn't fire in test mode but "tests fine" means not open windings or shorted windings on the coil itself ?

Bad transistor on the SDB ? (Q14 I think https://www.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Manual.pdf)

#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Test fine, as in correct resistance, has continuity when tested in isolation, continuity in the machine.
Coil fires if grounded. Transistor on the board isn’t shorted open. Tests same as other transistors. I can’t find any broken wires up the chain.

does it fire when you ground the transistor ? I'm wondering if crimp connector is bad or a cold solder joint on SDB

1 week later
#1518 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

The past 2 or 3 evenings I have been playing our Flight 2000 with my 23 year old son. He has a pretty stressful job and usually hits the basement when he gets home from work to unwind watching YouTube. However, my son really seems to be enjoying the machine now that our Flight 2000 is getting more reliable. The last several evenings we have struggled to "BLAST OFF". Typically we get the letters spelled on ball #3, but end up draining while doing the count down or before we can get the ball up into the launcher mechanism. Last night my son blasted off and got the multi-ball, only to have 2 of the balls drain down the middle almost immediately. haha. After about 6 games together I bailed out and he told me that the game is a lot of fun now that it is playing so well and we've fixed it up so much. I was talking to him to see if he was interested in getting rid of the game and upgrading to something modern and he certainly thinks Flight 2000 is a keeper.

Although a multiball can be exhilarating on F2K just acheiving one is the fun , after 2 drain , left spinner ALL DAY !!!!! ... it can be a lot of just "chopping wood"

#1522 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yeah 5 ball is for wimps but it's my game lol. I also set awards for extra balls instead of free games to make the game last as long as possible.

I usually just "Eddie Murphy" the thing https://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-eddie-murphy/

#1527 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Off the top of my head, these are the dip switch settings I can remember.
3 balls.
No extra balls awarded.
Speech and sounds on.
The right spinner value is reset after each ball.
The multiplier is reset after each ball.
I think Apollo lights are off after each game, but light up after spelling "BLAST-OFF".
However, locked balls stay in the launcher between games.

Mine is set the same with the addition to spot each "f" independently
The balls DO stay in the walker between games until rebooted (still have to light the lock even if the ball is there)
I would think this is the way the machine would be setup for tournament / location play

Quoted from slochar:

carry spinner, so you have a continuing ball to ball goal
reset multiplier, so you have a this ball only goal
apollo lights off, otherwise carryover game to game of locked balls unfair
Since I have the modified software in mine multiball can be slightly easier to obtain due to the skill shot spotting letters, but I also have that set to progressive mutliball launch - first one is 5-4-3-2-1 only but subsequent ones require full countdown (drops in order twice)
Also I have the center special set to payout extra balls but the outlanes ones pay out specials. There's no spot blast on the center drop anymore (just single letters with the quick shot)

I want to install your new code & try it , but I'm trying to decide between rewiring the machine or not ( I probably will and place tags on the swapped conductors ) I'm also trying to decide on burning over the existing ROMS (they have the window on the chip) -or- finding replacement chips.

THEN I'd have to have to have a friend burn them for me, he said he's got the stuff to do it

1 week later
#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

How do you guys like to align your flippers? I see there are pins in the playfield below the flippers, but I'm not exactly sure what those are for. Visually, I think it looks best when the flippers align at the same downward angles as the in-lanes. Is there a flipper position that is ideal for playing the game?

Mine are set so they rest on the pins.

If the ball is rolling down the in-lane, if you let it roll down the flipper, it will bounce off the center-post (or chill-post) over to the other flipper.

Another anomaly occurs though when you flip and release, the flipper bat will bounce off that pin. I had heard there was a term for this but I forget what it was.

1 week later
#1542 2 years ago

I happen to have my playfield inverted so easy pics

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Can someone snap a picture of the trough switches and diodes? I want to confirm the way the diodes are installed.

IMG_2261 (resized).JPGIMG_2261 (resized).JPG

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Could also use reference photos of the two switches for the ball walker assembly.

IMG_2263 (resized).JPGIMG_2263 (resized).JPG

hope they help

2 weeks later
#1553 2 years ago

I think your blue & green are reversed polarity with the diodes

F2k flippers (resized).jpgF2k flippers (resized).jpg
https://www.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Schematic_Diagram_paginated.pdf

These appear to be correct.

something seems wrong with mine though they seem to work (cold solder joints & all)

4 months later
#1687 2 years ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Shopping out my newly acquired Flight 2k and missing one drop target. Any chance I could buy just one from someone? Doesn’t matter which one as I’m getting decals anyhow. Thanks!
[quoted image]

The ones I got are kinda dirty, I'll shoot you a PM

IMG_2334 (resized).JPGIMG_2334 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#1748 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Sorry not a good pic for the flipper complaint… I’ll post a better pic later. Thanks!

Yes they are resting on those pins. I think I may go your route though. Thats exactly what I was thinking to do, was to align with the inlanes. Thanks!
Also I can’t seem to hit the ball off the end of the flipper to go into the opposite inlane (can’t think of the technical term used to describe that move). I’m thinking if my flippers came up a bit I might be able to do that? Or am I thinking about that ass backwards?

My flippers are set on the pins (sagging) ... I have been able to do an alley-pass occasionally to collect the "o" .... I have also been able to sweep the 3 right drop targets and suppose the sagging flippers help there.

Another maneuver the sagging flippers allow is the center-post pass where the ball coming down an in-lane , across the face of a flipper then hits the center post to bounce up to the next flipper.

#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

It could just be that I'm not very good at the alley pass shot...
I'm going to keep trying/practicing before I adjust them, just to be sure. I haven't played that may games on it since I got it a couple weeks ago.
I never knew about the center post bounce... I'll have to give that a try to. Thanks!

I don't have any real consistency with an alley-pass but I have been successful when I tried it. Usually when a catch attempt results in the ball roll up the in-lane is what collects it for me. The inner "f" lanes don't seem like something you can shoot for, it's just chopping wood 'til it happens. I do have the machine set to collect the "f"'s independently.

4 months later
#1835 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Ok, so I just picked up a flight 2000. It came with NVRAM. But it won’t hold high scores if powered down for over an hour. I went through and cleared all audits and then was doing fine. But left off overnight and now high scores are not there. Only some random numbers with spaces. Game plays like it should. Starts games even though no number present in credits. Any thoughts?

does the NVRAM plug in to both U8 & U13 sockets ?

#1838 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Yes

Display is fine. Everything works fine until machine is powered off for more than an hour. Then displays are wonky until game start. Then works good. Then when over high score not kept. From reading other pages, looks like either NVRAM is bad or issue with board (maybe underlying corrosion). Decided to go with a new Alltek board.

Yeah could be corrosion in the sockets. An Alltek board is great to have around to troubleshoot the original board(s), when I brought my F2K to a pinball show I put Alltek boards inside to keep it more trouble-free

1 month later
#1859 1 year ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

My drops are definitely sitting below the level of the playfield, disappointed to read that you can't fix that by realigning the reset bar or something like that. I'll have to look into the PETG option mentioned. Thanks for posting this, we need a moderator to flag a few key posts for easy finding.

Quoted from DanMarino:

I have this same problem.

My F2K is "at the club" ... at first I ran a bead of hotmelt glue on top of the 3bank drop targets to keep the ball from sticking there and it worked for awhile but eventually the glue peeled off. Then I saw some wide tongue depressors that I was able to place on the frame of the reset bank UNDER the drops and that seems to be working well. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Natural-Depressor-Popsicle-Woodcraft/dp/B08YK3TR6S/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

#1875 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

Now I wish I had a translucent apron so I could watch carefully over 20 games until it happens again.
Any thoughts as to what is happening when it fails like this?
Guess I'll have to remove the apron, and try to make it happen again.

I posted some pics awhile ago in this thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/3#post-4422641

I'm guessing switch is just slightly out of adjustment

1 week later
#1896 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Different subject: The metal bracket through which the flipper coil sleeve passes is attached to the flipper assembly base plate by a pair of machine screws. Some have nuts and lock washers, others don't (see photo). Further, some have the nuts on the visible side and others have them in the gap between the plywood and the base plate.
Are the nuts redundant? Necessary?[quoted image]

it's mentioned here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/2#post-453398

2 months later
#1996 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yes.

Yes, there are no stuck switches, and they each register.
If I boot the game from power off everything works and plays normally. It's just if there are balls in the lock, they don't release at the start of a new game (unless I power cycle).

Quoted from JethroP:

Doesn't matter. One ball or two balls locked a new game won't start. But I held down the middle trough switch at start up (with only one ball in the trough) and game starts. So it appears that when there is one ball sitting in the outhole, the center and right switch must both be closed. If my center switch trigger wire was longer, one ball would close it along with the right switch. Is this the way it's supposed to be? My triggers have been replaced. Not sure what they're supposed to look like. Picture anyone?

I snapped some pics awhile ago ... hope they help
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/3#post-4422641

1 month later
#2082 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

My speech troubles continue. Garbled, distorted, nothing works fine, then garbled again. The .100 connectors are all original. I need a specific crimp tool for .100, right? I’ve got a .156 too though. I’m thinking I need to refresh the connectors anyways.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/19#post-5779260

I did a good few crimps with the HT-225D linked in above post, reasonably priced IMO
I think Pinball Life has .156 Trifurcon pins but I don't see any .100 pins :/

1 month later
#2120 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

This is more of preference thing than anything else. The outside shots will be easier to make if you go down to the alignment pin, at the expense of the center shots. It's how you want it to play. Try it in both positions. My usual preference is to see where the factory ended up having it first and then aligning it with the inlanes.

Mine are set on the alignment pins ... (was that way when I got it) One of the benefits of this is the the "center post pass". I can make the center standup target between the #3 & #4 drops from either flipper (mostly when it doesn't count for anything :p )

IMG_1084 (resized).JPGIMG_1084 (resized).JPG

#2124 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Now, if it would just say something nice....

Mine says (While pinching it's nose) "Prepare for Bitchin' "

9 months later
#2248 6 months ago
Quoted from sevenchord:

Been working on an F2K I picked up last Thursday before York show. Got lots of things sorted out, and have it playable, but still a lot to do. Re-pin connectors, yopps to replace the flaky sockets, needs battery mod, etc. Had no sound when I got it, think it's just the connectors need repinned - sound is working now, but the speech board was missing. Ordered the VSU-2 from Glodstone, and literally three days later it was in hand. Checked switches and jumper, plugged it in, and it was perfect! Big thanks to Glodstone for creating this board and amazingly fast shipping too!
I'm contemplating the Beehive overlay...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/11#post-5157286

Wow mines been on for 4 years I wished I kept better bookkeeping records. I recall around 1,000 plays after Pintastic show a few years back when it was on the free-play floor. many more still

When I installed it I of-course cleaned the playfield -BUT- I also waxed it for some reason ... the wax dried and was noticeable under the playshield around the pops & upper lanes ( I don't think I removed the whole thing, mebbe I did; but yeah it was a bit of a pain. ) I think it turned to shuffle-powder.

I left the origonal mylar on my playfield so it seems like there is a pitch towards the outlanes & wonder if the origonal mylar wasn't there what my excuse would be for outlane drains

The ball walker area plastics would get hit launching the balls and I just recently fixed that by loosening them and pushing them away from where the ball hit it coming out of the ladder lock.

#2260 6 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I feel like this has come up before but I couldn't find it. Does anyone have a solution for balls getting stuck on the drop targets? When the top two targets are down the ball often gets stuck resting on the bottom drop target like a little shelf. The only way to fix it is to take the glass off and remove the ball. I could see maybe moving the rubber out a little but then I think it would hit the drop target. Anyone had success with a fix of any kind?

I Run a thick bead of hot-melt glue on the top of mine and have solved that issue for me.

4 months later
#2321 33 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I see that 2 of the spikes are activated (or I guess are raised) by the solenoid. What do the other 3 do? I can't figure out how they work as they're just dangling on mine. Are they supposed to be stuck facing upwards so the 2 connected to the solenoid push the balls across them creating 3 gaps/spaces for balls? I don't see how they would move so I'm wondering if they're kept in position by the playfield itself

Here's a video of game-play

at 1:06 the first ball is locked , you see how it stops for a moment then drops down a bit. At 1:30 the 2'nd ball is locked and see how it stops for a moment and both balls drop down. At 2:30 a 3'rd ball is sent up there but multiball isn't qualified yet and can see how it releases one ball back into play.

#2324 31 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Iron Maiden has the same style mech located on the bottom playfield.
Whether it is the same as Fight 2000 I do not know.

heh, I was only familiar with a Modern Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Premium) not a classic Stern Iron Maiden

I couldn't find a parts catalog to see if it was the same mech or not.

#2325 30 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Iron Maiden has the same style mech located on the bottom playfield.
Whether it is the same as Fight 2000 I do not know.

I'm thinking Viper may have the same mechanism as well https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2739&picno=43666&zoom=1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 3.00
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chas10e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome?tu=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.