(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Completist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Anyone mess with the ball lock mech? The one I have is having trouble where the free moving arms are getting caught causing the arms controlled by the coil to not reset when the coil disengages.
I’m going to take the whole mech out and play with it this week, but figured I’d post here first and get everyone’s thoughts.
Thanks!

My suspicion is its just some dirt causing the parts to bind. I had mine apart for a full cleaning not too long ago. The 1st, 3rd and 5th fingers fall back under gravity and are retured to position when the coil is deenergized. Two springs aid in this - one on the plunger and one at the end of the mech.

846E1DF5-19E1-447D-B8F4-F7BE0AE5D49D (resized).jpeg846E1DF5-19E1-447D-B8F4-F7BE0AE5D49D (resized).jpeg

#94 5 years ago

There’s also some small plastic bushings where the pins go through the plate. I have a spare populated PF if you need any game specific parts.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks like I’m missing that top plate. Got a spare?

I checked my spare pf on the weekend and that ball walker mech was intact. I’ll shoot you a pm.

5 months later
#163 5 years ago
Quoted from fissionch1ps:

Thanks for the reply and the link. The back glass on my game is good and i'd like to keep it that way. I'm moving to LEDs to lower the heat, but i'd also like to seal the back side of the pane over the paint. I'd hate to mess it up with the wrong sealer/solvent. Has anyone done this?

I sealed mine with Krylon Triple Thick. Works well. You can LED of course, but in a home enviro where the game is likely not on 12hrs each day you could also consider replacing the 44's with 47's. This preserves the original look of the lighted back glass while at the same time reducing heat / power consumption.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from fissionch1ps:

I’m thinking about replacing all of the inserts I can in my machine. Has anyone done this? Any tips?

Vid has a great thread on this - but here is a summarized version. For full deets check out his thread on PF Restorations:

1) Heat of old inserts with a heat gun or hair dryer. Just enough heat to loosen insert. Tap out from bottom using the largest diameter socket that will fit the hole. Set socket in hole and tap out with mallet. If not coming out easy heat it up more.
2) Prep new inserts. rough up edges and make sure you prime them with something to ensure the plastic adheres to the epoxy and wood. Note that most inserts were made to be installed then sanded down with the PF when it was being manufactured. So check that they are not too thick for direct replacement. if they are then sand them down before installing them.
3) Apply epoxy from the bottom side of pf into the insert hole. Then add insert from the top. Use some wax paper between the pf and a block that you will use to make the insert flush with the PF surface. Clamp them down with a giant ass C clamp that will reach the center of PF. Wait till cured then voila.

High level summary here. But Vid's thread will detail what type of epoxy and primer to use, sandpaper grits. All that jazz.

good luck!

1 month later
#193 5 years ago

I dont think you need to use heat to reinstall - provided you restraighten the top collar with pliers before hand. The screw will bevel out the top again when you install onto the pf. If you leave the top flared out they will not go in clean and then you have to heat them up to soften plastic.

2 months later
#248 5 years ago

I Recently bought one of Andrew’s DIY kits and was very pleased. The silkscreened labellimg was very well done, simple to assemble and in general well constructed.

5 months later
#396 4 years ago

I’ve seen terminals come in a long strip where you break one off when you need it. Looks kinda like that but broken apart leaving the connecting metal on them. Can you break it off clean to leave just the pin?

1 month later
#473 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

Greetings
Just joined the club, plan to start working on the cabinet a bit as well as the flippers.
Does anyone here know the color codes for the cabinet art?

I wheeled my cab in and color matched the blue hidden hidden under the side rails.

EBBB6277-8134-46DD-9DF0-810C77121692 (resized).jpegEBBB6277-8134-46DD-9DF0-810C77121692 (resized).jpeg
6 months later
#674 4 years ago

Been working on my F2K restore. Spent some time taking the drop target banks apart to clean and polish everything. Kept everything original except for the plastic targets. Thought i’d share some after pics ..

9066D431-73D2-469B-8532-696D65D39A90 (resized).jpeg9066D431-73D2-469B-8532-696D65D39A90 (resized).jpegA3468D8A-61EC-4411-81D2-21B7056E9424 (resized).jpegA3468D8A-61EC-4411-81D2-21B7056E9424 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#740 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

All of the GI lamps on f2k are low. Don't know why. Maybe to keep them from melting the plastics? They are a pain to change the bulbs.

That’s what i was thinking. But with LED’s in the GI i can’t see the plastics warping. I’m just repopulating my pf so i think i’ll give the Flush-mount style a try. They use them in a few areas already.

Do you see any reason to not set them deeper?

#763 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

if you're going LED, I don't see why you can't use the staple down sockets.

The only lamps i would LED are GI. Mainly to prevent warping plastics and other related heat damage. Which may not even be a real concern in a home environment.

Controlled lamps i’m going with 47’s instead of the 44’s. I’d prefer to keep all incandescent but i think there are some more conventional looking led’s on the market today.

I know somewhere to had posted which style you chose for your game - something more retro?

1 week later
#785 4 years ago

Coming together. Really just the clears for the maze and then the in-lanes to go back in. Pops are all rebuilt just not mounted yet.

I have the Pinbits clear plastic set for the maze, which comes with clear plastic protectors for the in-lanes as well. So with those i’m wondering if i need to add the metal wire guides also. I don’t like the way they make the ball hop at the flipper (at least the ones on the two pf’s i have were installed that way).

66D149B9-9F47-44FA-8459-F3EADBBCA87C (resized).jpeg66D149B9-9F47-44FA-8459-F3EADBBCA87C (resized).jpeg0FC86592-6CAC-4743-B816-374B2F68831C (resized).jpeg0FC86592-6CAC-4743-B816-374B2F68831C (resized).jpeg
#795 4 years ago

I’m interested in the proper use of these wire guides on f2k. Neither of my pf’s looked correct, as the one end is under the plastic whereas the one at the flipper is way out. So it creates this ramp. If i use the dimples which i know are only suggestions it would do the dame thing as in these pics.

581424DF-C14D-4852-8C6B-5E7F667E56DB (resized).jpeg581424DF-C14D-4852-8C6B-5E7F667E56DB (resized).jpegF2923060-F382-4775-BB58-27FEA766B254 (resized).jpegF2923060-F382-4775-BB58-27FEA766B254 (resized).jpeg
#799 4 years ago

Interesting. So these wire guides are just to protect the tips of the inlane plastics which are typically broken off? When i bought new clears for the maze from Pinbits, I also got a plastic protector kit. Has some pcs for behind the large drop target, and clears for the inlane plastics.

What I am currently concerned about (or having a closer look) is how the inlane plastic aligned with the flipper bushing hole. It looks to me like there will be a drop to the base of the flipper vs the base of the flipper being above the guide to cause a hop. I may need to drop my inlane plastics a bit. The dimples for the wire guides look ok relative to the original pf. all the dimples for the 4 bell posts lined up to the holes in my plastics.

As for my flipper batts. I bought repros (Marco i think? i was a long time ago) and i finder them thinner not fatter than the ones that came off my original ones. I can't say they are original of course, but they look the same as what is in my Seawitch.

#801 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I never use the dimples unless I can verify they are 100% correct on where I want the guide to go.
Marco used to have original stern/game plan flipper bats so it's very possible those are them. I don't think anyone's got the correct repro ones though, unless Pinball Life's are.

Agree i don’t trust Dimples at all, on either the top or bottom side. So what i want to determine is what the transition is supposed to look like. The same with the flipper batt orientation to the inlane guides. On a Williams you simply line them up so the batts are parallel with the guides. But on F2K there are pins that line up the tips which are a dropped way down. Never looked right but its a classic stern, not a williams. And maybe that orientation is required to hit the shots? Sweeping the three bank target is something i want to be able to do for example.

#803 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Do you have an OEM playfield?
The flippers are pitched slightly down.
Look at ipdb for Stern Flight 2000.

I have two populated pf’s (one from the game). I’m repopulating a CPR i picked up a few years ago. This is my second F2K project. Yes all of them have pins that the flippers rest on, which had them pitched down (i prob exaggerate when i say way down lol). Always seemed odd to me. Not sure i’ll put the pins back in on the new one. There are no reference marks (dimples) for them to worry about seeing.

#808 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

O.K. All I know is that the left flipper has to make the right spinner shot.
If the flippers are raised it would be very difficult for the left flipper to make
that shot. ( you would have to be use the tip of the flipper ).

Thanks, that’s what i was wondering. The angle is required to hit those outside shots properly. When i get the flippers in i’ll set them to “factory”. At least with these Nothing is permanent and i can adjust as required .

4 months later
#980 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hardware geek question:
F2K has 6 kickers (4 to play tennis and 2 in the ball walk maze). Each has a 3-piece kicker assembly held together by one "e" clip and one cotter pin. The part which attaches to the plywood fits over a pin sticking out one side of the kicker itself, and the plunger link fits over a pin on the opposite side of the kicker. That is, all but the lower left kicker assembly (just above the left flipper) on which both pins stick up on the same side of the metal kicker (see photo).
Do you know why?
[quoted image]

I see what you mean re the kicker and that is interesting. The part the plunger link gets e-clipped on is installed through the opposite side of the bracket than a typical one. I have a fully populated pf in the shop and all kickers are made the same way.

7 months later
#1365 3 years ago
Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Anyone have a good color match for the Blue on the cabinet ?

Yep. I wheeled an entire cab into my local paint store and had them match the blue that was unfaded under the side rail. Its now in their system as Electric Blue lol.

A51EE455-F16A-4917-9DAA-1810BD0B640A (resized).jpegA51EE455-F16A-4917-9DAA-1810BD0B640A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Completist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome?tu=Completist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.