Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 285 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 107 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0440 (resized).JPG
IMG_0441 (resized).JPG
IMG_0438 (resized).JPG
20190301_131245 (resized).jpg
20190301_120546 (resized).jpg
20190301_110903 (resized).jpg
20190201_170242 (resized).jpg
20190201_141102 (resized).jpg
20190216_170727 (resized).jpg
F2K_Score (resized).jpg
20190125_095403 (resized).jpg
20190125_111154 (resized).jpg
A6040100-A32C-4A2F-8FAA-62727812E218 (resized).jpeg
Machine (resized).jpg
Backside of credit button (resized).jpg
Credit Button (resized).jpg

There are 285 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 51 days ago

Having something strange happen recently. Here is the scenario.........

- no balls in ball walker
- shoot first ball up into ball walker, ball locks but I do not get "first stage go" and Apollo 1 light is not lit, rather the machine treats it as if the ball drained, and counts bonus
- new ball pops out, but advances to next player (if it is a multi player game) or ball 2 if it is a single player.

When a second ball is shot up, it will lock (so now 2 are up there), but now Apollo 1 lights up and I get "first stage go", shoot again is lit and the next ball is ready to shoot up like normal.

In short, the first shot into the walker is treated like a drain and then after that the game plays normally - it is as if the first shot is ignored.

Any thoughts? Aside from this, the game plays normally from what I can tell.

--Jim

Added 51 days ago:

Needless to say, the help I have received thus far has been tremendous. Many thanks to those who have offered assistance as I get up to speed with my first machine.

#252 51 days ago

Check that the switch in the lock is registering by going into switch test. http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm
Also check that the trough switches are adjusted and registering correctly.

#253 50 days ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Check that the switch in the lock is registering by going into switch test. http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm
Also check that the trough switches are adjusted and registering correctly.

Will do, thanks for the help.

#254 46 days ago

Ended up with this as the final score the other day (I have done better)

Just thought it odd to end up with that exact score. Anyone else have one similar?

F2K_Score (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#255 31 days ago

Been making slight changes here and there to my F2K. When I bought it, the seller LED'd the entire game - great right? Not so much. Left a lot missing behind the backglass because "it we put them all in it is waaaaaay too bright" but did fill the playfield. Kept the same light driver board so there was a ton of flicker in the playfield ones. In my ignorance, I just the lights were supposed to flash like that until I watched a YouTube video of the game being played. Hmmmmm, I thought - let me replace some of the playfield LED's with a 44 or 47 bulb. Voila! Lights behave like they should.

I do have a couple of questions about lights......

The playfield LED's (the ones I am removing) are mostly the kind that do not have a "dome" on them, just a flat top. What is so special about those and are they OK to put behind the backglass?

I also need a new light holder with a long bracket for the coin door. Marco has on but says it is for an 89 bulb. Will that socket also fit the 44 or 47's?

Thanks!
Jim

#256 31 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

The playfield LED's (the ones I am removing) are mostly the kind that do not have a "dome" on them, just a flat top. What is so special about those and are they OK to put behind the backglass?

Don't put those behind your back glass. I mean , you can but you will see spots of lights. I just lit up one of my 2nd back glass with some of these Matrix strips from Comet. The difference is amazing. 3 or 4 well placed Matrix strips will make some nice back box lighting.

https://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

https://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm

#257 31 days ago

Today's project. All lights now working. Next up will be to install the new power rectifier board I built last week. Purple Titan rings on order and getting ready to put an order in at Comet for LEDs. I'll also be picking up the inline boards from Comet to prevent LED flicker.

20190216_170727 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#258 18 days ago

Built the new Power Rectifier board at the beginning of February and finally installed it this morning. Easy and fun build with a super fair price. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Next up will be replacing all the drop targets with new ones. LED adapter board and LEDs are on order. Purple Titan rings also standing by.

20190201_141102 (resized).jpg20190201_170242 (resized).jpg20190301_110903 (resized).jpg20190301_120546 (resized).jpg20190301_131245 (resized).jpg
#259 18 days ago

I bet that feels good to have that rockin!

#260 16 days ago

Beehive Pinball is releasing play-field protectors for Flight 2000 tomorrow. I have a lot of cupped inserts and am hopeful the protector will take care of the issue.

#261 16 days ago

Cupped inserts take a bit of work to fix but it isn't hard. Heat them up with a heat gun and the lightly tap them out using a socket that just fits in the hole. Once out sand each one until flat and then polish. Reinstall with gel superglue and a nice flat piece of wood to ensure they sit perfectly flush. I did this process on my Williams Jackpot with great success.

#262 16 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Cupped inserts take a bit of work to fix but it isn't hard. Heat them up with a heat gun and the lightly tap them out using a socket that just fits in the hole. Once out sand each one until flat and then polish. Reinstall with gel superglue and a nice flat piece of wood to ensure they sit perfectly flush. I did this process on my Williams Jackpot with great success.

That works unless you have silkscreening on your inserts

#263 16 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

Beehive Pinball is releasing play-field protectors for Flight 2000 tomorrow. I have a lot of cupped inserts and am hopeful the protector will take care of the issue.

The protector will make your cupped inserts disappear

#264 15 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The protector will make your cupped inserts disappear

That is what I am hoping for.

So what is in-store for me? Strip most of the PF, then should I clean with Novus 2 or something else? Just trying to get a sense of the scope of what I am going to do this weekend.

#265 15 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

That is what I am hoping for.
So what is in-store for me? Strip most of the PF, then should I clean with Novus 2 or something else? Just trying to get a sense of the scope of what I am going to do this weekend.

You will need to remove your flipper inlane guides. Stern inlane guides are just wire rods; There are no locking tangs pinched on. Get a small piece of wood that will sit under the guides and use this as a base to lay your screwdriver on and pry up. Place your screwdriver near the corners and slowly pry them up.

Any spinners have to be removed. Pop bumper caps, too. It would not be a bad idea to strip it as much as you can and clean up all of your posts in soap and water. Or tumble them if you have a tumbler. With the posts out of the way, you can real good around the slings and nay other things that hide under the posts. A cheap paint brush is good for brushing dirt off the play field. Maybe get a can of keyboard duster to blow out hard to reach areas.

I am assuming the protector extends under the plastic at the back. They need to come up, too.

What you are looking for is to have all obstructions out of the way so you can just lay the protector down with no hassles.

Make sure your protector is clean on all edges with no shavings on the edges.

It is like this. You may think you have cleaned your play field before you lay the protector down but odds are you did not get everything. And then old wax and stuff will be missed and will get under your protector.

Use Novus. Clean it up good. A lot of people are removing all of their wax and laying down on a bare play field. I"m not sure why so ask around. I like my play fields protected so I put on a light coat carnauba wax. And then I wax my protector, as well.

Plan to spend a 2-3 hours to do a good job. It is not hard. Just takes some time.

#266 15 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You will need to remove your flipper inlane guides. Stern inlane guides are just wire rods; There are no locking tangs pinched on. Get a small piece of wood that will sit under the guides and use this as a base to lay your screwdriver on and pry up. Place your screwdriver near the corners and slowly pry them up.
Any spinners have to be removed. Pop bumper caps, too. It would not be a bad idea to strip it as much as you can and clean up all of your posts in soap and water. Or tumble them if you have a tumbler. With the posts out of the way, you can real good around the slings and nay other things that hide under the posts. A cheap paint brush is good for brushing dirt off the play field. Maybe get a can of keyboard duster to blow out hard to reach areas.
I am assuming the protector extends under the plastic at the back. They need to come up, too.
What you are looking for is to have all obstructions out of the way so you can just lay the protector down with no hassles.
Make sure your protector is clean on all edges with no shavings on the edges.
It is like this. You may think you have cleaned your play field before you lay the protector down but odds are you did not get everything. And then old wax and stuff will be missed and will get under your protector.
Use Novus. Clean it up good. A lot of people are removing all of their wax and laying down on a bare play field. I"m not sure why so ask around. I like my play fields protected so I put on a light coat carnauba wax. And then I wax my protector, as well.
Plan to spend a 2-3 hours to do a good job. It is not hard. Just takes some time.

This is just the info I needed, thanks!

1 week later
#267 5 days ago

Anyone out there with a pic of connector J3 on the mpu? I could not add credits so I checked the connector and one of the wires and pin came out before I could tell where it went.

Thanks

#268 5 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

where do you get this .. is it one of them plastic covers for the whole play-field? I got a barn find after CPR was sold out and am very sad.. this game is one of my gems.

any links?

google was slow..
https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector

#269 4 days ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

where do you get this .. is it one of them plastic covers for the whole play-field? I got a barn find after CPR was sold out and am very sad.. this game is one of my gems.
any links?
google was slow..
https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector

Yes, that is the link. I am going to put mine on this coming Sunday - at least that is my plan. It is a thin piece of plastic and should solve the cupped inserts problem I have. Directions look pretty straight-forward and should take a couple of hours or so.

#270 4 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

should solve the cupped inserts problem I have

It will solve the cupped inserts problem. With out a doubt.

#271 4 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It will solve the cupped inserts problem. With out a doubt.

Question for those in the know..... Once I install the protector, might I have any issues with the rollovers? And if so is there a way to "raise" them? Also ,I was given shims for the drop targets - I have never disassembled this part before - am I in for a tough job?

#272 4 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

Question for those in the know..... Once I install the protector, might I have any issues with the rollovers? And if so is there a way to "raise" them? Also ,I was given shims for the drop targets - I have never disassembled this part before - am I in for a tough job?

Are you talking Star rollovers, or wire rollovers?

For wire rollovers, you probably will need to nothing at all. However, there is the possibility you will need to re-adjust your switches.

For star rollovers, for optimal performance you need to remove the rollover from your play field and reset it to the new height of your protector. However, if your star rollover is in an out of the way place like at the back of the play field in the shooter lane you might get by with doing nothing.

I'll tell you about how to raise them if they become an issue.

I have never seen or done the shims. I can't imagine they would be difficult. I seriously doubt you have to disassemble the drop targets to install them.

Open your game up and look around. I"m guessing you will discover most of the answers you seek.

#273 4 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you talking Star rollovers, or wire rollovers?
For wire rollovers, you probably will need to nothing at all. However, there is the possibility you will need to re-adjust your switches.
For star rollovers, for optimal performance you need to remove the rollover from your play field and reset it to the new height of your protector. However, if your star rollover is in an out of the way place like at the back of the play field in the shooter lane you might get by with doing nothing.
I'll tell you about how to raise them if they become an issue.
I have never seen or done the shims. I can't imagine they would be difficult. I seriously doubt you have to disassemble the drop targets to install them.
Open your game up and look around. I"m guessing you will discover most of the answers you seek.

The wire rollovers are the ones I am concerned with. Most likely a switch adjustment as you suggested, thanks!

#274 4 days ago
Quoted from Winger03:

The wire rollovers are the ones I am concerned with. Most likely a switch adjustment as you suggested, thanks!

Or you can pull up on the wire a little bit, as well. I would be more inclined to pull up on the wire just a little bit and leave what was an adjusted switch alone. Sorry I did not mention that the first time.

#275 2 days ago

I just picked up a flight 2000. It is in really rough shape. I am working on the electronics, but looking ahead.....

I need new lane guides and/or plastics. the guide that brings the ball to the flippers on either side was replaced by a crudely cut piece of plastic. Were they originally two levels with metal underneath plastic? Does anyone know where I can find a pair of these?

thanks ahead!

#276 2 days ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I just picked up a flight 2000. It is in really rough shape. I am working on the electronics, but looking ahead.....
I need new lane guides and/or plastics. the guide that brings the ball to the flippers on either side was replaced by a crudely cut piece of plastic. Were they originally two levels with metal underneath plastic? Does anyone know where I can find a pair of these?
thanks ahead!

Here you go.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/flight-2000/

#277 2 days ago

Thanks. It seems like they are just plastics. Does anyone have an extra set for sale? I'd prefer not to purchase a full set until I see if the machine can be returned to its former glory.

Even a scan would help me create something closer than what I have now.

Thanks,

#278 2 days ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I have a Stern service bulletin that I cannot find that added a wire guide under each inlane guide.

IMG_0438 (resized).JPG
IMG_0441 (resized).JPG

As you can see from the right hand flipper, the service bulletin did not solve the problem.

IMG_0440 (resized).JPG

What I intend to do is use the left guide as a template and make two guides from polycarbonate(Lexan) and use them as the base guides. Using spacers I will elevate the two factory guides up out of harm's way and throw away the useless metal guides.

If you don't have the factory guides you will need to get the CPR kit.

#279 1 day ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks. I'll go that direction if I have to. I have some lexan ready. Any chance you could trace yours and send me the tracing?

Is the problem the break on the right side? The wires look like they stick out at the ends. Did the plastic guides not deliver the ball smoothly to the flippers?

#280 1 day ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Thanks. I'll go that direction if I have to. I have some lexan ready. Any chance you could trace yours and send me the tracing?
Is the problem the break on the right side? The wires look like they stick out at the ends. Did the plastic guides not deliver the ball smoothly to the flippers?

The tip of that plastic takes alot of direct hits and was prone to breaking, the added metal guide is to protect the plastic. I like cottonm4's idea to make a double plastic rail with lexan alot.

#281 1 day ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Check your PM. I sent you a scan of the unbroken unit.

#282 1 day ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I sent you a scan

Thanks!! That will give me a place to start.

#283 1 day ago

EDIT: Wrong thread

#284 1 day ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a Stern service bulletin that I cannot find that added a wire guide under each inlane guide.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
As you can see from the right hand flipper, the service bulletin did not solve the problem.
[quoted image]
What I intend to do is use the left guide as a template and make two guides from polycarbonate(Lexan) and use them as the base guides. Using spacers I will elevate the two factory guides up out of harm's way and throw away the useless metal guides.

Funny, I'm about to try the same thing. Just got the replacement plastics in from Marco last week. I was thinking about having metal guides cut like you would see on a modern Stern.

I should have several unbroken plastics available once I do the swap. I'll get photos up when I get to that step. I'll also have extra ball lock maze plastics.

#285 1 day ago

Why not just build your own "plastic protectors" for the flipper frames -- lay another strip underneath that curve up on the end where the wire shows?
That's my plan once I get my hands on a game.
-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 142.00
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 40.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 285 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside