(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,088 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
B9F93386-7E3E-4BF5-8F55-F50D56BD02E1 (resized).jpeg
VSU100 Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
1CFC5EF8-6374-46CE-AEB6-25E9F88E1B89 (resized).jpeg
B39C9058-783E-4B06-B924-95F874786E2A (resized).jpeg
DADE8F89-1988-4348-9157-BDC66D270F6F (resized).jpeg
1E33CB65-DD8C-4FC6-B1C2-4A71FA47EB98 (resized).jpeg
0C65F071-6244-4056-849C-7F8657683237 (resized).jpeg
9147F2F1-643C-4E58-89DA-7152189D904E (resized).jpeg
B697FE67-191A-4F1F-ADA0-4A284E0D4AE4 (resized).png
IMG_20221107_140415 (resized).jpg
IMG_0002[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0001[2] (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 5.20.24 AM (resized).png
IMG_20221030_143739 (resized).jpg
1C88866A-58D0-497F-A19D-1F7BC7EDA463 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.
#2051 22 days ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Slight occasional problem on my machine, a few times when passing balls through the full ball lock, all the walker fingers have dropped but the lowest ball just sits there because it's bounced back off the finger and sat in the groove. This ends with 2 balls stuck in the lowest part of the lock. I've tried making the machine steeper but it's still happened once or twice. There's no raised lip on the bottom of the groove. I'm thinking maybe the whole walker mech is set too far back? Anyone had this issue before?
[quoted image]

I moved the walker mech about 3mm towards the flippers and the issue seems to be fixed. Even if the ball settles in the groove, when the mech fires the 2nd finger nudges the ball forward and out of the lock.

I find it strange the way the "1st stage go" & "2nd stage go " inserts work, if you lock 2 balls and get the callouts mentioned above the inserts don't lite until the countdown drops have been cleared ( even though you may not be at the countdown stage ). I thought I must have a fault but watching a gameplay video online that machine was the same .

#2052 22 days ago

Kevlar My 1st stage go and 2nd stage go lights don't work like you describe. Mine illuminate as I lock the balls.

#2053 22 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Kevlar My 1st stage go and 2nd stage go lights don't work like you describe. Mine illuminate as I lock the balls.

Mine too.

#2054 21 days ago

As do mine

#2055 21 days ago

Not near my machine, but confirmed in Pinball Arcade

B697FE67-191A-4F1F-ADA0-4A284E0D4AE4 (resized).png
#2056 21 days ago
Quoted from Zzap:

Not near my machine, but confirmed in Pinball Arcade[quoted image]

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or talking about the 2 ball lock inserts below the drops ( I'm talking about the GO inserts in the lock) . This is the video I was referring to, mine work like this machine...

It's the same in this video too so I'm going to assume it's normal ( He locks a ball, gets a ball lock insert lit but no GO insert lit until he clears the drops )

Maybe it's a code revision or a setting? this guys machine works differently with the GO inserts working as I would expect them to work ( lit at same time as announcement ). I also notice how slow his machine is to announce " 1st stage go " when a ball enters the lock, on mine it's instant. Edit..Just noticed this last vid is custom code....

#2057 21 days ago

Apologies, you are right, I was talking about the lower ones, and hadn’t paid attention to those upper ones in the walker… got me investigating too now!

#2058 21 days ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Maybe it's a code revision or a setting? this guys machine works differently with the GO inserts working as I would expect them to work ( lit at same time as announcement ). I also notice how slow his machine is to announce " 1st stage go " when a ball enters the lock, on mine it's instant. Edit..Just noticed this last vid is custom code....

The delay in the speech is intentional in the custom code as it allows the spinner to continue scoring. Stock code rips off the player for spins.

The go lamps don't light until the multiball is ready to release. You don't get that until you've completed the countdown. There's also rip off code in the original if you've progressed down to two or one remaining on the drop sequence it resets you to requiring 2-1-5-4-3-2-1 before release being qualified.

That became a setting in the rewrite.... And slightly changed to never penalize a player that progressed in the drop sequence.

The custom isn't different in the go lamp behavior vs stock.

#2059 21 days ago

Dropped my Flight 2000 price to $2800. New playfield installed, new cpu, LEDs, led boards, and new plastics.

#2060 20 days ago

Hey Kevlar -

We've had our Flight 2000 for six years and never paid attention to how those "GO" lights cycle. We played last night and they're cool! On when all systems are go, and then off one at a time, synchronized with each ball launching from the ball walk.

I'm glad you asked about them; you clued us in to a neat feature.

#2061 20 days ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hey Kevlar -
We've had our Flight 2000 for six years and never paid attention to how those "GO" lights cycle. We played last night and they're cool! On when all systems are go, and then off one at a time, synchronized with each ball launching from the ball walk.
I'm glad you asked about them; you clued us in to a neat feature.

I'm just curious because I've just got the machine and its almost all new except the cab, just making sure it's working as intended. I still think it's strange how those GO lights work, you get the callout for ' 1st stage go ' but the corresponding insert doesn't light up at that time...except slochar IT DOES in that bottom video, watch the first minute again and you'll see it, 1st stage go callout and GO insert on 1st ball lock without knocking down all the drops ( just the ' 1 ' drop is down ) . I tried exactly that on my machine and no GO insert.

1 week later
#2062 13 days ago

My F2K speech is distorted. The sound effects seem fine and clear. I pulled the SB300 last night and replaced the 3 big caps with these. The speech is still distorted. Any recommended next steps?

The J2 and J3 connectors don't seem very tight, so I'll re-pin those tonight.

Thanks.

0C65F071-6244-4056-849C-7F8657683237 (resized).jpeg9147F2F1-643C-4E58-89DA-7152189D904E (resized).jpeg

#2063 13 days ago

Maybe I have a ground issue or something like that related to the controlled playfield lights? I just played 10 games. The speech worked perfectly twice. The other 8 games had various degrees of distorted speech and sound effects. Sometimes it was like the speech was in slow motion. Other times the speech was totally distorted and you couldn't tell what was happening. Sometimes, it was ok, but just a little distortion and static.

After the last game I left it in attract mode. I was getting static noises in unison with the playfield lights flashing in attract mode.

#2064 13 days ago

Speech is controlled by the VSU-100 board (mounted below the SB-300 in the head). I can't say what specifically could be going wrong because I'm a dumdum with electronic theory. A few years ago I had one where the NLA speech chip went bad. Took a $75 sourced chip to fix it but now these are available - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1297-glodstone/04572-vsu-2-speech-board-replacement-for-vsu-100.

I do have an extra original VSU-100 that I need to pop in a game to test. Came out of a trashed F2K I'm converting to a Cheetah.

#2065 13 days ago

Reseated the connectors between all the boards, but still having distortion.

1E33CB65-DD8C-4FC6-B1C2-4A71FA47EB98 (resized).jpeg
#2066 12 days ago

Reseated the J4 connector on the lamp board. Installed new connector and pins for J2 on the SB300.

Test played a game and speech was great. Will play more games tomorrow.

B39C9058-783E-4B06-B924-95F874786E2A (resized).jpegDADE8F89-1988-4348-9157-BDC66D270F6F (resized).jpeg
#2067 12 days ago

Played a bunch of games this morning. Finally blasted off. Speech and sound is working good as new.

1CFC5EF8-6374-46CE-AEB6-25E9F88E1B89 (resized).jpeg
#2068 12 days ago

Did you see my post above? The SB-300 doesn’t control the speech. It could be that you reseated J4 on the LDB that connects to the VSU-100. While repinning the SB-300 is probably beneficial overall I would be surprised to learn that is what resolved your issue.

VSU100 Schematic.pdf
#2069 12 days ago

Yup. Hopefully it helps people. I think you are correct about that reseating the J4 connector on the lamp board was likely the solution. The J2 connector on the SB300 was super loose. It would slide off with almost no tension. Renewing that connector has got to be a good thing. It looked original to the machine.

#2070 12 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

The SB-300 doesn’t control the speech.

Well, it doesn't control it, but it certainly mixes it into the sound and amplifies it. The speech board is completely controlled by the lamp data and lamp strobe #2 (what bally uses for aux lamp boards, stern uses for speech strobe). So like any analog audio cable it's subject to poor connections (If you're old enough to remember those phono jacks on old audio equipment and how you would twist them occasionally to loosen up any crustiness on them, you could hear the static as you twisted them)

#2071 12 days ago

I was hoping you or Quench would help clarify things!

#2072 11 days ago

Played a few games today and the distortion is back. Not as bad as before, but still not normal. I’ll look at that J4 lamp board and the connector.

#2073 11 days ago

Had a group of people over the other night so all my machines were on and played almost continuously for about 6 hours. Near the end of that time my F2k started playing up, had the lock release a ball into play when it shouldn't, and then 2 balls in the shooter lane. Also the machine reset twice!. It was near the end of the evening so I switched it off ( I'd been drinking so no point trying to fix ). Since then I've checked all the switches in the lock area and the trough switches, found nothing wrong. I've probably put 200 plays on this machine in the few weeks I've owned it with no resetting issues until these 2 resets, and never had 2 balls in the shooter lane. It has released a locked ball before but I put that down to the lock entry switch being super close, virtually touching but it's well gapped now. As I've mentioned before all the boards are brand new weeblys.

Any suggestions? what can cause resets on a machine with this board set? the rectifier board is also a brand new weebly. I've played about 20 games since with no issues.

#2074 10 days ago

An easy one to check:

Is the power switch new or old? My F2K had reset problems 'til I figured out that the power switch was worn. If I wiggled it, the game would reset.

#2075 10 days ago
Quoted from clodpole:

An easy one to check:
Is the power switch new or old? My F2K had reset problems 'til I figured out that the power switch was worn. If I wiggled it, the game would reset.

I'll check that, thanks.

#2076 9 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Played a few games today and the distortion is back. Not as bad as before, but still not normal. I’ll look at that J4 lamp board and the connector.

Reseated the J4 connector again on the lamp board and the speech played well afterwards. I’ll keep an eye on it.

#2077 9 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Reseated the J4 connector again on the lamp board and the speech played well afterwards. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Check the header pins on both boards for cold solder joints.

#2078 9 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Check the header pins on both boards for cold solder joints.

Thanks Rich, the SB300 header pins all look fine, but I’ll pull the lamp board the next time it acts up.

Update: Still getting distorted and garbled speech. Removed the lamp board and reflowed header pins. Also removed the speech board and reflowed header pins. Pulled the two biggest chips, cleaned the legs and carefully reinstalled. Still getting the distorted speech.

#2079 8 days ago
Quoted from clodpole:

An easy one to check:

Can't see anything wrong with my power switch. I've had quite a few more games since with no issues at all. I'm not sure where to go with this other than to just keep playing it and see what happens. Maybe, just maybe all my machines being played together dragged the voltage down but if that was the case why did it take nearly 6 hours to happen?

Still open to suggestions (surprised I haven't had more tbh ) of things to check/test.

#2080 7 days ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Can't see anything wrong with my power switch.
Still open to suggestions (surprised I haven't had more tbh ) of things to check/test.

This thread is rich with experience and interest. Hopefully some of that will help you go further.

Having said that, a problem that goes away on its own may not be worth losing sleep over.

#2081 7 days ago

My speech troubles continue. Garbled, distorted, nothing works fine, then garbled again. The .100 connectors are all original. I need a specific crimp tool for .100, right? I’ve got a .156 too though. I’m thinking I need to refresh the connectors anyways.

#2082 7 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

My speech troubles continue. Garbled, distorted, nothing works fine, then garbled again. The .100 connectors are all original. I need a specific crimp tool for .100, right? I’ve got a .156 too though. I’m thinking I need to refresh the connectors anyways.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/19#post-5779260

I did a good few crimps with the HT-225D linked in above post, reasonably priced IMO
I think Pinball Life has .156 Trifurcon pins but I don't see any .100 pins :/

#2083 7 days ago

Refreshed J3 on the SB 300 and sounds were clear. J3 is speaker out and speaker ground. Played a test and all speech and sound was clear. I’ll report how it plays tomorrow. Should see a bunch of games with Thanksgiving company.

Update: Played a few games this morning and all was fine. It was short lived joy though, started another game and garbled distorted speech came back. Boo!

B9F93386-7E3E-4BF5-8F55-F50D56BD02E1 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpg

#2084 7 days ago

Tracking down issues like this can be frustrating but you end up re-doing and bullet proofing against a bunch of other future problems along the way!

#2085 6 days ago
Quoted from chas10e:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/19#post-5779260
I did a good few crimps with the HT-225D linked in above post, reasonably priced IMO
I think Pinball Life has .156 Trifurcon pins but I don't see any .100 pins :/

Pinsider rockwell runs wirebot and sells header pins and crimp contacts. Not sure if he sells the plastic connector housings.
https://wirebot.xyz/collections/0-100

#2086 6 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Pinsider rockwell runs wirebot and sells header pins and crimp contacts. Not sure if he sells the plastic connector housings.
https://wirebot.xyz/collections/0-100

Thanks for that link, bluespin. Been looking for a good merchant for that kind of stuff since Ed shut down GPE and retired.

#2087 6 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanks for that link, bluespin. Been looking for a good merchant for that kind of stuff since Ed shut down GPE and retired.

Thanks for the recommendation bluespin . Happy to help out, feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions or need something that isn't on the site. I'll do my best to track down what you need

#2088 4 days ago

Does anyone have a decent playfield for sale? I am considering picking up a Flight 2000 project machine and the playfield looks like it will need a lot of work. Thanks,

Brian

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.95
$ 10.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
Protection
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
There are 2,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!