(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 47.
#1951 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yes, but was thinking 1/16" narrower. I don't have an old glass to compare with, and this wide body is different dimensions than the Paragon or Future Spa I have. I'll probably go with the Marcos dimensions if I don't get a confirmation from anyone here who owns a Flight 2000.

I'll measure mine. I have a couple of extra sheets.

#1952 1 year ago

I had to get a new sheet made a few years ago. I kept the sticker that came printed on it with the info. I can grab that info off it tomorrow.

#1953 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'll measure mine. I have a couple of extra sheets.

My glass isn't factory but fits perfectly, a smidge under 24 5/8 wide and 45 11/16 long. My glass has no side to side wiggle room, so anything 1/16 to 1/8 less in width than this should be fine.

#1954 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

My glass isn't factory but fits perfectly, a smidge under 24 5/8 wide and 45 11/16 long. My glass has no side to side wiggle room, so anything 1/16 to 1/8 less in width than this should be fine.

Thank you.

#1955 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yes, but was thinking 1/16" narrower. I don't have an old glass to compare with, and this wide body is different dimensions than the Paragon or Future Spa I have. I'll probably go with the Marcos dimensions if I don't get a confirmation from anyone here who owns a Flight 2000.

Watch out for the length dimension of the glass. One guy had the playfield glass too long
and cutup the back neck to get the glass to fit the cabinet.

#1956 1 year ago

Just removed mine and measured it:

45 1/2" X 24 1/2"

No slop, but I notice the Marco glass is 1/4" longer. Since that's under the lockdown bar, it has room for variance:

IMG_2764 (resized).JPGIMG_2764 (resized).JPG
#1957 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Just removed mine and measured it:
45 1/2" X 24 1/2"
No slop, but I notice the Marco glass is 1/4" longer. Since that's under the lockdown bar, it has room for variance:
[quoted image]

Yes but not that much. The lockdown bar itself has a lip to keep the glass from sliding down. Your pic looks good as glass just passes the lip of the receiver which acts as a support for the front edge of the glass.

#1958 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

45 1/2" X 24 1/2"

Just ordered the glass from local shop. Tempered clear 24-1/2" x 45-5/8" x 3/16 with seamed edges. $97 including tax.

#1959 1 year ago

Any of you guys with extra sheets going to York hit me up if you want to unload one!

#1960 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Just ordered the glass from local shop. Tempered clear 24-1/2" x 45-5/8" x 3/16 with seamed edges. $97 including tax.

I was shocked at how much a new sheet of glass dressed up each of my machines. Good luck, and enjoy your F2K!

#1961 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Not a terrible price for the way things are today.

#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Not a terrible price for the way things are today.

Yeah. Was about twice what I paid a year ago, but that was for a standard size pin. This happens to be wide body. I shopped this glass and $97 was the lowest of 5 bids. High price I got was $250. Whoa. The other prices were in the mid to low $100's.

#1963 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Please till us how the glass fits.
I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

#1964 1 year ago

Took me longer to remember to do this. Busy week, but here’s the receipt I had on my repro glass.

9F13CAC9-56EB-4F6E-BF69-6329BAAE9B6C (resized).jpeg9F13CAC9-56EB-4F6E-BF69-6329BAAE9B6C (resized).jpeg
#1965 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Please till us how the glass fits.
I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Picked up the glass today. Fits just right. Another 1/8" longer and to may have been too long.

#1966 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Picked up the glass today. Fits just right. Another 1/8" longer and to may have been too long.

Good news.

#1967 1 year ago

Hi guys, got my first pin and it's a Flight 2000. The cabinet is in rough shape. I have this doubt about the type of wood used in the backbox. Could it be MDF? It looks like MDF around the backbox, the bezel, not sure if it's called bezel.

Another thing is that the pinball plays mostly fine except for this issue that appears about 30 minutes after turned on.
The game starts to score by itself, in 1000 points increments. This only happens when the machine is warm.
When this problem shows up I put the machine in Test Mode and it shows switch 17 closed, which is the "B" letter. Also the top right drop target shows as if it were switch 17 too. I've cleaned and adjusted the switch with no luck.
Could this be a switch matrix issue?

Upon looking at the matrix both of those switches are next to each other in the same row.
I've replace both diodes with 1N4007, but the problem is still there.
I'm trying to learn how the switch matrix works.

20220914_143236 (resized).jpg20220914_143236 (resized).jpgswitch_matrix (resized).jpgswitch_matrix (resized).jpg
#1968 1 year ago

Congrats! F2K was also my first pin. It has changed my life forever because I'm doing full restores now since 2009.

Yes the backbox trim is def MDF board. I have replaced mine with solid Poplar.

In switch test, did you remove all balls and reset the drop targets?

File800 (resized).jpgFile800 (resized).jpgFile819 (resized).jpgFile819 (resized).jpgFile832 (resized).jpgFile832 (resized).jpg
#1969 1 year ago

Often there's a switch capacitor on stand ups... Cut it off. See if that helps. If it does replace it but it's not strictly needed. It's purpose is to lengthen short switch hits.

#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Often there's a switch capacitor on stand ups... Cut it off. See if that helps. If it does replace it but it's not strictly needed. It's purpose is to lengthen short switch hits.

I was wondering if there was a cap there, couldn't remember.

#1971 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Congrats! F2K was also my first pin. It has changed my life forever because I'm doing full restores now since 2009.
Yes the backbox trim is def MDF board. I have replaced mine with solid Poplar.
In switch test, did you remove all balls and reset the drop targets?

I love the art of this machine. Thanks for the photos, they are very helpful, I didn't know that MDF was that old, I thought it was a more modern material. Do you have any tips on removing the trim without damaging the backbox? Is it glued and nailed?
I did the switch test without any balls and the drop targets in the reset position, this problem appears only when the machine is warm, otherwise it shows "O" on the switch test.

Quoted from slochar:

Ok, gonna cut those caps and report back, thanks for the suggestion.

#1972 1 year ago
Quoted from gleegum:

I love the art of this machine. Thanks for the photos, they are very helpful, I didn't know that MDF was that old, I thought it was a more modern material. Do you have any tips on removing the trim without damaging the backbox? Is it glued and nailed?
I did the switch test without any balls and the drop targets in the reset position, this problem appears only when the machine is warm, otherwise it shows "O" on the switch test.

Ok, gonna cut those caps and report back, thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, screwed and glued. The nails are ring shanked. IIRC, it didn't take much effort to remove them. If you are saving the top piece, be careful not to split it. Mine had 3 nails at the top of the side trim going into the top trim. I wouldn't worry as much about the glue. It was used sparingly and most likely dried and brittle by now.

The sides were not cheap to make since it is a tapered cut. I had them done at a woodworking shop. If you go this route, make the lower ends just a tad longer and adjust as necessary. You want the side trim to be flush with bottom of head.

#1973 1 year ago

Got my project playing....but it has a bit of a problem. For instance, if there are 2 balls locked in the captive ball walker at the end of a game, they do not kickoff and drain at the start of a new game using credits. A new game will start, but the outhole will not kick out the lone ball in the trough into the shooter lane.

If I power cycle the game, when it boots with balls in the captive ball walker, they will eject and drain and a ball will then be kicked into the shooter lane.

Any ideas what's wrong?

#1974 1 year ago

Does multi ball work properly? At the end of a game, any balls locked will not eject so that’s proper behavior. Sounds like you may need to fiddle with a trough switch. Have you tried putting the game in switch test and seeing if a switch is stuck or not registering?

#1975 1 year ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Does multi ball work properly?

Yes.

Quoted from Xtraball:

Have you tried putting the game in switch test and seeing if a switch is stuck or not registering?

Yes, there are no stuck switches, and they each register.

If I boot the game from power off everything works and plays normally. It's just if there are balls in the lock, they don't release at the start of a new game (unless I power cycle).

#1976 1 year ago

That’s proper behavior. Locked balls do not release upon start of a new game, only upon “power cycling”. I’m no expert but it sounds like a ball lock switch or trough switch is out of adjustment if the 3rd ball doesn’t kick to the shooter.

#1977 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes, screwed and glued. The nails are ring shanked. IIRC, it didn't take much effort to remove them. If you are saving the top piece, be careful not to split it. Mine had 3 nails at the top of the side trim going into the top trim. I wouldn't worry as much about the glue. It was used sparingly and most likely dried and brittle by now.
The sides were not cheap to make since it is a tapered cut. I had them done at a woodworking shop. If you go this route, make the lower ends just a tad longer and adjust as necessary. You want the side trim to be flush with bottom of head.

Great, gonna try disassemble it. The top part is prett damaged, so it'll be replaced too.

I removed the cap in one of the stand up targets as slochar sugested and the machine is working properly now, so thanks sir.

#1978 1 year ago

Yeah, the balls stay in the maze after each game but they clear out on reboot. Your issue seems to be why it won't kickout a ball after starting a new game.

#1979 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Your issue seems to be why it won't kickout a ball after starting a new game.

So normal behavior except....doesn't kick out a ball starting a new game. It kicks out a ball if I press the empty #2 ball switch.

I've tested each of the 3 ball switches in the trough. They each show open when there is no ball there, and each show closed with there is a ball there. The switches are in the correct order from left to right (35, 34, 33).

Once I trigger the empty switch for #2 ball (switch 34), a ball is kicked out and all play resumes normally.

#1980 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

So normal behavior except....doesn't kick out a ball starting a new game. It kicks out a ball if I press the empty #2 ball switch.
I've tested each of the 3 ball switches in the trough. They each show open when there is no ball there, and each show closed with there is a ball there. The switches are in the correct order from left to right (35, 34, 33).
Once I trigger the empty switch for #2 ball (switch 34), a ball is kicked out and all play resumes normally.

So maybe the second stage switch isn't closing when the second ball enters the maze. So the game only sees 1 ball in the maze.

#1981 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

So maybe the second stage switch isn't closing when the second ball enters the maze. So the game only sees 1 ball in the maze.

There's only one switch at the entrance to the maze. The lock switches are virtual and what a mess of programming and logic that is. If the ball entering isn't moved down properly the game stops working correctly.

#1982 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I only have one switch in the maze, and it is working. Am I missing a switch? I don't see where it would go.

#1983 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

If the ball entering isn't moved down properly the game stops working correctly.

My ball does move down correctly. When the second ball enters the maze, they both ratchet down. And multiball is working. It does seem like a programming issue.....or could I have a corrupt game prom?

#1984 1 year ago

I doubt your rom is bad in this very specific way. The virtual lock registers happen to be at the start of the 5101 RAM chips and nothing else really uses that section... Maybe swap u8 and u13.

The trough switches are finicky as well did you test with balls or fingers.

#1985 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The trough switches are finicky as well, did you test with balls or fingers?

So true...One needs to use all three balls to test the micro switches, of the outhole layout.

#1986 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I doubt your rom is bad in this very specific way. The virtual lock registers happen to be at the start of the 5101 RAM chips and nothing else really uses that section... Maybe swap u8 and u13.
The trough switches are finicky as well did you test with balls or fingers.

I read somewhere that the 5101 chips had to be identical, and a specific speed, but I forget where I read that. I'll try switching them tomorrow and report back. I do recall they ARE NOT identical and have no idea their specs.

I have tested the trough switches with balls and fingers both. They all 3 work are are correctly adjusted (sensing the balls in the correct positions).

Anyone sell good 5101 chips these days? I do see there is a NVRAM for this board. Anyone know if it works?

#1987 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

? I do see there is a NVRAM for this board. Anyone know if it works?

Yes nvram works. That's what's in all my mpu200 boards although I have switched most of my games to the weebly... Which also has nvram.

#1988 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes nvram works. That's what's in all my mpu200 boards although I have switched most of my games to the weebly... Which also has nvram.

I totally forgot about that option. I have a weebly on the shelf. I'll try it out tomorrow as well. Thanks for mentioning that!

#1989 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I totally forgot about that option. I have a weebly on the shelf. I'll try it out tomorrow as well. Thanks for mentioning that!

I swapped U8 and U13. Didn't change the problem.
I swapped out the MPU with the Weebly board and didn't change the problem either.

So there must be a problem in the wiring/playfield? I don't get it. The switches test ok, and I have verified the trough switches 33, 34, and 35 are in the correct placement.

#1990 1 year ago

The virtual switches get combined with the physical switches. The game is likely losing track of one of the balls in the maze area.

Try starting a game and getting no balls locked. Does the next game work? Try this also with locking one ball, then two, then cycle through the 2 without getting multiball and see where it stops working.

The switches like I said are very finicky, you might want to adjust them 'out' a little more in case a ball sitting there isn't pressing it in enough. They could also be worn out.

#1991 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The switches like I said are very finicky, you might want to adjust them 'out' a little more in case a ball sitting there isn't pressing it in enough. They could also be worn out.

I think I figured out something. When there is only one ball in the trough, it is supposed to close 2 switches? Can someone show me a picture of the switches in the trough?

#1992 1 year ago

Doesn't matter. One ball or two balls locked a new game won't start. But I held down the middle trough switch at start up (with only one ball in the trough) and game starts. So it appears that when there is one ball sitting in the outhole, the center and right switch must both be closed. If my center switch trigger wire was longer, one ball would close it along with the right switch. Is this the way it's supposed to be? My triggers have been replaced. Not sure what they're supposed to look like. Picture anyone?

#1993 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Doesn't matter. One ball or two balls locked a new game won't start. But I held down the middle trough switch at start up (with only one ball in the trough) and game starts. So it appears that when there is one ball sitting in the outhole, the center and right switch must both be closed. If my center switch trigger wire was longer, one ball would close it along with the right switch. Is this the way it's supposed to be? My triggers have been replaced. Not sure what they're supposed to look like. Picture anyone?

Are you sure switches are in the correct order? What happens when you only close the middle switch out of curiosity?

#1994 1 year ago

No it's always one ball per switch.

#1995 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Are you sure switches are in the correct order?

Yes, according to the manual. See post #1979

Quoted from Tomass:

What happens when you only close the middle switch out of curiosity?

during switch test it shows #34.

#1996 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yes.

Yes, there are no stuck switches, and they each register.
If I boot the game from power off everything works and plays normally. It's just if there are balls in the lock, they don't release at the start of a new game (unless I power cycle).

Quoted from JethroP:

I snapped some pics awhile ago ... hope they help
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/3#post-4422641

#1998 1 year ago

I'm still curious, what happens if you lock 2 balls in the maze and only activate the middle trough switch, will it start a game?

#1999 1 year ago

Hi guys, an issue appeared today in my F2k.
The fuse under the playfield blows when multi ball is activated, this happens when the third ball is gonna get launched, it just sits in the last kicker in the maze.
fuse is 1.25A slow blow.
This only happens in multiball, in test mode there's no problem with the solenoids.
Any ideas?

#2000 1 year ago

I have a F2K backglass in poor condition. Free to anyone who wants it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.