(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 47.
#1451 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Awesome emsrph,
I removed the SDB J3 and MPU J4 connectors. The pins looked fine, so I shined them up a little with steel wool.
The connectors seemed fine too. Nothing was burnt looking. The wires and connectors seemed snug in the plastic connectors.
I plugged them back in and re-tested the voltage on the MPU TP4 and TP5. It now reads 4.83 volts. So that's a pretty big improvement.
I have played a few games and the missing explosion sounds are now working!
Thank you very much emsrph!

Back in business! But, it may have been temporary because the plating has been removed from the pins and will burn again.

#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Try grounding the coil with a jumper wire. Cab ground to coil lug. If fires most likely bad transistor or connector.

Momentarily ground Non-banded lug only. You will blow the fuse if banded diode side of the coil lug is grounded.

#1453 2 years ago

Broken again. That didn't last long. haha.
A ball got stuck on the 3 bank drop target. So I turned the game off to move it. Turned the game back on and get a loud humming noise like something is stuck and the MPU doesn't do the 7 beeps. Ugh.

Amazing how I can go from really enjoying a machine to hating it all within 1 minute.

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Broken again. That didn't last long. haha.
A ball got stuck on the 3 bank drop target. So I turned the game off to move it. Turned the game back on and get a loud humming noise like something is stuck and the MPU doesn't do the 7 beeps. Ugh.
Amazing how I can go from really enjoying a machine to hating it all within 1 minute.

Time to start at the beginning and get it sorted. Replace worn out connectors and headers to make it reliable.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#1455 2 years ago

None of it makes any sense to me at this point.
Anybody want to buy a broken Flight 2000 that works occasionally?

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

How much lol?

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

It’s easy to get overwhelmed and frustrated. Maybe there’s a local Pinsider that can help?

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Yes. If you're serious, PM me.

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Doesn't fire in test mode but "tests fine" means not open windings or shorted windings on the coil itself ?
Bad transistor on the SDB ? (Q14 I think https://www.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Manual.pdf)

Test fine, as in correct resistance, has continuity when tested in isolation, continuity in the machine.
Coil fires if grounded. Transistor on the board isn’t shorted open. Tests same as other transistors. I can’t find any broken wires up the chain.

#1460 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Time to start at the beginning and get it sorted. Replace worn out connectors and headers to make it reliable.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

I followed the pinwiki order for plugging in the connections to the boards and it's working fine for the moment.

4.8 Plug It In and Turn It On

Plug in minimal amount of boards
Start w/ input to rec. board
Plug in 20 pin head harness to rec. board next
Plug in upper right of SDB next
Plug in lower left of MPU next
Plug in upper left of LDB next
Plug in all others on LDB next
Plug in upper left of MPU next
Plug in lower right and all others on SDB
Listen for locked on coils
Plug in upper right and lower right of MPU

#1461 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I followed the pinwiki order for plugging in the connections to the boards and it's working fine for the moment.
4.8 Plug It In and Turn It On
Plug in minimal amount of boards
Start w/ input to rec. board
Plug in 20 pin head harness to rec. board next
Plug in upper right of SDB next
Plug in lower left of MPU next
Plug in upper left of LDB next
Plug in all others on LDB next
Plug in upper left of MPU next
Plug in lower right and all others on SDB
Listen for locked on coils
Plug in upper right and lower right of MPU

Quick, play a lot of games!!! It may be intermittent until the connectors are re-pinned and headers replaced.

Having pinball machines you either have to learn to fix them or pay someone to fix them.

#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Test fine, as in correct resistance, has continuity when tested in isolation, continuity in the machine.
Coil fires if grounded. Transistor on the board isn’t shorted open. Tests same as other transistors. I can’t find any broken wires up the chain.

does it fire when you ground the transistor ? I'm wondering if crimp connector is bad or a cold solder joint on SDB

#1463 2 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

does it fire when you ground the transistor ? I'm wondering if crimp connector is bad or a cold solder joint on SDB

Yes, grounding the transistor Q14 fires the coil.

On game start, drops continually reset. shooter lane coil doesn't fire, if ball is moved out of trough lane into shooter lane. Drops stop resetting. Wiring around the drop targets seems fine also. Confused

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Yes, grounding the transistor Q14 fires the coil.
On game start, drops continually reset. shooter lane coil doesn't fire, if ball is moved out of trough lane into shooter lane. Drops stop resetting. Wiring around the drop targets seems fine also. Confused

Read sections 3.9.2, 3.9.3 and 3.9.4 on pinwiki.com Bally/Stern section. This may help narrow this down.

#1465 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Read sections 3.9.2, 3.9.3 and 3.9.4 on pinwiki.com Bally/Stern section. This may help narrow this down.

I’ve read them and understand. Are you implying that the transistor itself could still be bad?

#1466 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

I’ve read them and understand. Are you implying that the transistor itself could still be bad?

Grounding the tab doesn't test the transistor it only tests the power path. It is likely a bad transistor and needs to be replaced.

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Quick, play a lot of games!!! It may be intermittent until the connectors are re-pinned and headers replaced.
Having pinball machines you either have to learn to fix them or pay someone to fix them.

Haha. So funny and true. The machine is working well today. Still measuring 4.83 volts on the TP4 to TP5 MPU.

Next issue is to figure out why 2nd stage go light is always on. I’ll take a break for a while and just play the game to see how long it works reliably without shutting down/restarting the MPU board.

#1468 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Haha. So funny and true. The machine is working well today. Still measuring 4.83 volts on the TP4 to TP5 MPU.
Next issue is to figure out why 2nd stage go light is always on. I’ll take a break for a while and just play the game to see how long it works reliably without shutting down/restarting the MPU board.

Probably a blown transistor on the light board.

#1469 2 years ago

Played Flight 2000 for a bunch of one player and two player games yesterday. Some by myself, some with my son, and some with my son by himself. We played a lot of games back to back and for over an hour. The machine worked fine. Full sound and speech and the machine MPU did not shut down and reboot. It's a lot of fun and very challenging when it is working properly. Got close to blasting off many times, but always managed to drain ball #3 before getting the countdown completed, or getting the last ball up the launcher/locker mechanism.

#1470 2 years ago

This is my first post and I have to share about my new replacement speech board VSU-2. I had my Flight 2000 for about 10 years. Took me about 2 years to slowly restore it. About 3 years ago I was messing around with fuses on rectifier board and shorted it. Replaced lamp board, sound board, but could not get it to talk. I just purchased and installed this new VSU-2 replacement. Speech is back, as generic, I cant tell any difference. And also the endless humming noise is 99% Gone. I can actually turn the volume to my likes and the background sound is all gone. Just super exited. I want to thank to Glodstone LLC for making them, knowing, it wont sell in Thousands. Only about 6 machines have this board.

Flight2000 (resized).jpgFlight2000 (resized).jpg
#1471 2 years ago

Congratulations, DanMarino and turboburt1 - a good day is a good day!

#1472 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

This is my first post and I have to share about my new replacement speech board VSU-2. I had my Flight 2000 for about 10 years. Took me about 2 years to slowly restore it. About 3 years ago I was messing around with fuses on rectifier board and shorted it. Replaced lamp board, sound board, but could not get it to talk. I just purchased and installed this new VSU-2 replacement. Speech is back, as generic, I cant tell any difference. And also the endless humming noise is 99% Gone. I can actually turn the volume to my likes and the background sound is all gone. Just super exited. I want to thank to Glodstone LLC for making them, knowing, it wont sell in Thousands. Only about 6 machines have this board. [quoted image]

I googled this and came up with nothing. Are these for sale to the GP?

#1473 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I googled this and came up with nothing. Are these for sale to the GP?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-replacement-for-vsu-100-speech-board

#1474 2 years ago

If you google VSU-2 board, it will be there. I did not buy off ebay, I registered to pinside.com and was able to buy and save few dollars

Flight2000 2 (resized).jpgFlight2000 2 (resized).jpg
#1475 2 years ago

@turboburt1, Wow! That board is tiny! haha. Very cool that it solved your problem. My sound is working fine for the moment, but there is a little background humming noise when the machine is on. I notice it if the machine is on and the room is quiet. That's cool your new board got rid of it.

#1476 2 years ago

Yes it is super small, but big enough to use original mountings. Just swap them out and set switches to a specific game. Now when i have every board new, including rectifier board, I should be trouble free. Also need to mention both playfield spining targets from PBResource. New remakes with thicker wire at $17 each is a deal. Playing it every day again

#1477 2 years ago

Lovef2k its good to know another Flight2000 close to me

#1478 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

This is my first post and I have to share about my new replacement speech board VSU-2. I had my Flight 2000 for about 10 years. Took me about 2 years to slowly restore it. About 3 years ago I was messing around with fuses on rectifier board and shorted it. Replaced lamp board, sound board, but could not get it to talk. I just purchased and installed this new VSU-2 replacement. Speech is back, as generic, I cant tell any difference. And also the endless humming noise is 99% Gone. I can actually turn the volume to my likes and the background sound is all gone. Just super exited. I want to thank to Glodstone LLC for making them, knowing, it wont sell in Thousands. Only about 6 machines have this board.

Thanks for sharing this @turboburt1! - I'm happy to see everything is worked out. Making this board with gamatron2000 was a fun project.

#1479 2 years ago

Cheers! F2K is one of my (our?) favorite games, and our first pin. I'm super thrilled that we could help bring yours back to life!

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from gamatron2000:

Cheers! F2K is one of my (our?) favorite games, and our first pin. I'm super thrilled that we could help bring yours back to life!

Just ordered mine. This will complete my 2015 f2k award winning restore. Although the original vsu100 is working fine its nice to now I have a backup now.

#1481 2 years ago

So Pure_penalty and Gamatron2000, you guys are creators of VSU-2? Forgive me am asking am brand new to pinside.com. Looking back in time I remember many feared VSU-100 failure as 1 of its components, i thing RAM, or Chip was pretty much impossible to get. I was so happy mine was working until i burnt it, lol.

#1482 2 years ago

And Thank you both very much.

#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

Lovef2k its good to know another Flight2000 close to me

Well not that close, I'm in south Jersey but I wouldn't mine being in the upper Midwest closer to the home of pinball , well except it's too damn cold there lol.

#1484 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

So Pure_penalty and Gamatron2000, you guys are creators of VSU-2? Forgive me am asking am brand new to pinside.com. Looking back in time I remember many feared VSU-100 failure as 1 of its components, i thing RAM, or Chip was pretty much impossible to get. I was so happy mine was working until i burnt it, lol.

Yup. Finished it up last November. There being no way to replace the speech chip was a big driver for us to make it.

#1485 2 years ago

Am sorry, it was ment to emsrph from Evanston IL thinkin that your FL2K pic is his. . I must have looked at your pic and read his info. Not sure how I misread it.

#1486 2 years ago

pure_penalty you guys are genius. Makes me want to search another pin from 80's that speak. I had 3pins. Space Invaders and Nitro Ground Shaker from Bally. This Flight2000 best playing out of all 3. Had to sell those 2 as I was doing living room remodel and had no place to park them.

#1487 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

Am sorry, it was ment to emsrph from Evanston IL thinkin that your FL2K pic is his. . I must have looked at your pic and read his info. Not sure how I misread it.

turboburt1 thanks for the shout out. My flight2000 isn't as nice as Lovef2k restoration. He's a good guy and helped me tremendously with some no longer available parts.

#1488 2 years ago

emsrph it is incredible, that you have flight2000, when i have mistaken you with Lovef2k. I have my f2k mechanically dialed, playfield left. It will need restore, the only thing i had to do was make a new clear plastic piece of the very bottom next to left flipper and used it as a support underneath. Too bad I cant purchase just bottom both pieces, instead of whole kit. Would you know of someone trusted, or near company, where I could bring my playfield to restore?

20210428_230709 (resized).jpg20210428_230709 (resized).jpg20210428_230733 (resized).jpg20210428_230733 (resized).jpg20210428_230750 (resized).jpg20210428_230750 (resized).jpg
#1489 2 years ago

This is playfield. I thing it can be saved without playfield sticker.

20210428_232159 (resized).jpg20210428_232159 (resized).jpg20210428_232212 (resized).jpg20210428_232212 (resized).jpg20210428_232323 (resized).jpg20210428_232323 (resized).jpg
#1490 2 years ago

And while am at it, let me share some photos from back in times of restoration cabinet.

IMG_0371_1600x1200 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_0371_1600x1200 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_0373_1600x1200 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_0373_1600x1200 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_0374_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0374_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0375_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0375_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0501_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0501_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0502_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0502_1600x1200 (resized).JPG
#1491 2 years ago

Every screw, every bracket was was cleaned, brushed, scuffed.

IMG_0503_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0503_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0504_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0504_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0507_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0507_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0512_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0512_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0533_1600x1200 (resized).JPGIMG_0533_1600x1200 (resized).JPG
#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

Would you know of someone trusted, or near company, where I could bring my playfield to restore?

I don’t have any playfield restorer but I’m sure someone will make suggestions.

Did you re-stencil the art on the cabinet?

#1493 2 years ago

No I did not, i repaired few bad wood spots and spray painted only plain areas.

#1494 2 years ago

turboburt1, your playfield looks amazing to me. Mine is in much worse shape than yours. Nice going on the restoration so far. The plastic piece near my left flipper is also broken in the same exact spot. Eventually I need to make a clear plastic piece like you did for yours.

#1495 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

turboburt1, your playfield looks amazing to me. Mine is in much worse shape than yours. Nice going on the restoration so far. The plastic piece near my left flipper is also broken in the same exact spot. Eventually I need to make a clear plastic piece like you did for yours.

Here's a tracing of unbroken lane plastics if you want to make clear ones.

F2k lane pkastics (resized).jpegF2k lane pkastics (resized).jpeg
#1496 2 years ago

emsrph, so when i print them, they will be same size as original?

#1497 2 years ago

DanMarino When I play, the ball is not yet affected by playfield, at least am not noticing. But the time of full playfield disasembly will come one day. O boy

#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from turboburt1:

emsrph, so when i print them, they will be same size as original?

Maybe check don’t scale in the printing? The <—— 1” ——> should be one inch

Plus, you can lay your plastic on top of the printout to make sure

#1499 2 years ago

I've uploaded the STL files for the inlane guides if anyone needs them.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4843720

#1500 2 years ago

Thank you emsrph, i will print it and compare it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes
Cabinet parts
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 45.00
$ 125.00
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/30?hl=jodannar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.