(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 47.
#701 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Was going to use the coin lockout driver. I think there will be two versions. One that can use a knocker instead of coin lockout and another leaving it alone and keep the sound.

Could use a system 80 pop bumper driver board.

#702 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

How do you think he is going to do that?
All solenoid transistors are used.
You could change the coin lockout to be used as knocker, but all others are used in the game.[quoted image]

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Was going to use the coin lockout driver. I think there will be two versions. One that can use a knocker instead of coin lockout and another leaving it alone and keep the sound.

Or use the lamp 2N5060 #31 to a MOC3011... to a solenoid circuitry. Etc,etc,etc.

#703 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

How do you think he is going to do that?
All solenoid transistors are used.
You could change the coin lockout to be used as knocker, but all others are used in the game.[quoted image]

How about firing both popbumpers at the same time

#704 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

How about firing both popbumpers at the same time

You can't do that on the solenoid driver board hardware. The 4 continuous solenoids can activate with one of the momentary, but there's no way to have it fire 2 momentary solenoids at the same time since it's a 4 to 16 decoder.

Quoted from vec-tor:

Or use the lamp 2N5060 #31 to a MOC3011... to a solenoid circuitry. Etc,etc,etc.

It uses the coin lockout coil, repurposed, or as discovered when disassembling the code, the game already provides a signal you can use for the knocker on the lamp. Anyone that wants to add it right away can do this now with the stock code, although there are no tests to fire the knocker vs. not in lamp test.

It's convenient to use the lockout coil driver circuit because all the wiring is already present in the cabinet, where it needs to be.

Also, I didn't eliminate the sound at all, it still makes the sound, and knocks. I reused that sound as well for the skill shot successful sound effect on the top rollover lanes.

#705 4 years ago

Hi, everyone. I'm almost done with my F2K rebuild with a CPR playfield. When I was taking apart the F2K, someone who previously owned the machine redid some connectors in the backbox and in doing so tangled up a lot of the backbox wiring. I had to cut all of the wires from the back side of the backbox door for the lamps and I'm having a hard time matching up my cuts now with what I did like 4 years ago (I should have taken a picture). I was wondering if someone could take a picture of the inside of the backbox door where the lamps are? This would be on the backside of the backbox door, specifically. I also need a picture of the switch right below the slam tilt mechanism. Thanks!

#706 4 years ago
Quoted from dubby:

Hi, everyone. I'm almost done with my F2K rebuild with a CPR playfield. When I was taking apart the F2K, someone who previously owned the machine redid some connectors in the backbox and in doing so tangled up a lot of the backbox wiring. I had to cut all of the wires from the back side of the backbox door for the lamps and I'm having a hard time matching up my cuts now with what I did like 4 years ago (I should have taken a picture). I was wondering if someone could take a picture of the inside of the backbox door where the lamps are? This would be on the backside of the backbox door, specifically. I also need a picture of the switch right below the slam tilt mechanism. Thanks!

I figured out the switch is the slam switch, the tab that should be there to solder the yellow wires on is busted off. I still need a picture of the back of the backbox door, though. If anyone has a few minutes to take a picture of that, I would really appreciate it. Thank-you for your time.

#707 4 years ago
20200322_102913.jpg20200322_102913.jpg20200322_102920.jpg20200322_102920.jpg20200322_102925.jpg20200322_102925.jpg20200322_102931.jpg20200322_102931.jpg20200322_102951.jpg20200322_102951.jpg
#708 4 years ago

Awesome. Thank-you!

#709 4 years ago

Only had my F2K for 2 weeks....still learning.
I get 7 dongs/beeps when I turn it on, does this mean anything?
I also cannot get the 2 service switches to activate and work. Traced wires, all attached and plugged in. Finally, yesterday I got another noise playing with the 2 service switches, looked up and displays where dark. Could never get anything else to happen. Had to shut game off to get out of it.

#710 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I get 7 dongs/beeps when I turn it on, does this mean anything?

It's an audio cue for the l.e.d. on the cpu board.

#711 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

It's an audio cue for the l.e.d. on the cpu board.

So they all do this?
Thank you.

#712 4 years ago

So they all do this?
Thank you.

It's kind of nice to here the "ping" when booting.
Bally on the other hand... ( " ------ click " ).
It is the plus side of stern having direct control of the snd board.

#713 4 years ago

So they all do this?
Thank you.

the 2 service buttons act up as well (on all classic Sterns apparently) ... one of the 2 buttons will cycle through lamp test , solenoid test ect. until you get to bookkeeping ~THEN~ the 2'nd button can be used to clear that field ... if 2'nd button is used before the bookkeeping it crashes the game

#714 4 years ago

Room for one more member?
I'll post a restore thread in a few weeks or so, when I start digging into it.
-mof

20200326_150920 (resized).jpg20200326_150920 (resized).jpg

#715 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Room for one more member?
I'll post a restore thread in a few weeks or so, when I start digging into it.
-mof
[quoted image]

Oh yeah! I'm ready to see how you do with F2K. I did 2 of them. I would definitely bead/sand blast those legs and hit them with Rustoleum Hammer tone paint. Same color as the coin door. I have all the tech cards and labels for sale if you want a set for $35. I even have the little sticker that goes on the 2 switches on the coin door.

#716 4 years ago

Best Place to Buy a Power Driver Board down by the speaker in cabinet?
Mine is flucky with the playfield lights, and has been re-built so many times it's a Frankenstein mess.

#717 4 years ago

Best Place to Buy a Power Driver Board down by the speaker in cabinet?
Mine is flucky with the playfield lights, and has been re-built so many times it's a Frankenstein mess.

Weebly

#722 4 years ago

Rules question: Why do the 5-4-3-2-1 controlled lamps function when it's not quite time to blast off yet?

I'm wondering what I'm "collecting' when I accomplish 5-4-3-2-1 too early.

#723 4 years ago

Any tips for repairing this, without buying a new plastic set.

20200329_231128 (resized).jpg20200329_231128 (resized).jpg20200329_231132 (resized).jpg20200329_231132 (resized).jpg
#724 4 years ago

You really cannot repairr those. You need some polycarbonate sheet to make some replacements with. you need approximately .76mm thick.

Here is a lot for sale on Ebay in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpolycarbonate.TRS0&_nkw=polycarbonate+sheet&_sacat=0

I do not speak or spell German so could not link to Ebay-Germany but you can probably find a small quantity there.

#725 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You really cannot repairr those. You need some polycarbonate sheet to make some replacements with. you need approximately .76mm thick.
Here is a lot for sale on Ebay in the UK.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpolycarbonate.TRS0&_nkw=polycarbonate+sheet&_sacat=0
I do not speak or spell German so could not link to Ebay-Germany but you can probably find a small quantity there.

Yea i was afraid of that, i would just hate to have to remake them, since im never going to get the artwork to be correct again, and finding polycarbonate in that thickness could be a challenge.

Don't worry about the German, i don't speak that language either.

#726 4 years ago

Stern recommended putting small wireforms under the plastics to repair this - I think they were referring to Galaxy, but it's similar plastics. You have to drill a couple of holes I managed to get it perfect on my CPR PF so there's no flipper hop. I have new plastics on it as well, but this helps to protect them (although the poly is certainly a way to go, too - I've done that on other games, where someone else already laser cut the plastic.... too hard to cut by hand otherwise.)

#727 4 years ago

I think i seen a picture of a Flight 2000 with the wireforms installed, main problem here is im located in Denmark, parts for pinball machines are very sparse at best, i have no idea on where to get the required parts.

Polycarbonate i can get without much problem, but it would kinda silly without the artwork.

I did however saw someone that raised those pieces of plastic, but of cause i don't remember where, could be a solution also.

#728 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

Any tips for repairing this, without buying a new plastic set. [quoted image][quoted image]

There was a service bulletin... for adding two wire forms in that area,
in order to keep the plastic pieces from breaking.

#729 4 years ago

Here's the way I fixed it (although you see that my repro pieces aren't broken.... yet....)
Yes, I know the glass is dusty....

20200329_184816.jpg20200329_184816.jpg20200329_184822.jpg20200329_184822.jpg20200329_184832.jpg20200329_184832.jpg20200329_184841.jpg20200329_184841.jpg
#730 4 years ago

Nice fix, problem is i can't find wire gates in europe, maybe im searching wrong, but so far no luck.

Does anyone got a scan of the two inlane guides, i got an idea, not sure if possible.

#731 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Here's the way I fixed it (although you see that my repro pieces aren't broken.... yet....)
Yes, I know the glass is dusty....[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

YUP! That's the ticket.

#732 4 years ago

I'll be working on Fusion 360 models of the inlane guides this week. I did them once in Sketchup but the conversion to get them to a dxf file did something funky when the CNC cut the stainless. Fusion 360 should solve that issue.

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I'll be working on Fusion 360 models of the inlane guides this week. I did them once in Sketchup but the conversion to get them to a dxf file did something funky when the CNC cut the stainless. Fusion 360 should solve that issue.

I remember an operator back in the early 1980's trying to order the metal
ball guides that were used on Stern's Split Second as a repair for Fight 2000.
He freaked out over the cost to order the part... told the distributor at that time
to shove it.

#734 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, I know the glass is dusty....[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My F2K chart is still folded up has to two pieces of wire installed, like yours. And the plastic guides are still broken.

Cutting a piece of polycarbonate would not be hard. All one has to do is trace the broken part, then get a straight edge and extend a straight line beyond the flipper. You would then to transfer drill any holes from the factory guide to the new poly guide, remove the flipper, lay down and screw the new guide into position, then lay the flipper on top and make a mark just beyond the flipper. Then unmount everything, and cut the line you drew. Now you have a poly part that will fit and will not break. Then put the factory part on top and screw everything down and the poly will take the hits.

The above is easy to do but hard to explain.

#735 4 years ago

Made mine with lexan, tin shears, a sharpie, and a belt sander, and a drill press (but I winged this with a cordless actually after hot poking the holes) and a soft nail file last night -- plays BTF like butter perfection.

-mof
(better than factory)

20200328_234340 (resized).jpg20200328_234340 (resized).jpg
20200328_164711 (resized).jpg20200328_164711 (resized).jpg

#736 4 years ago

Very nice.

#737 4 years ago

SLING GI:

Has anyone swapped out the 4 bracketed lamp sockets for surface-level mount? I would think it would bring more light to that area. (or did factory just put the wrong ones in mine?)

#738 4 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

It's spare spacer plastics

I wonder what kind of hard clear (or black) plastic tubing could be used and cut to make a set of spacers to raise the PF plastics above clear flipper guides?

-mof

#739 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

SLING GI:
Has anyone swapped out the 4 bracketed lamp sockets for surface-level mount? I would think it would bring more light to that area. (or did factory just put the wrong ones in mine?)

All of the GI lamps on f2k are low. Don't know why. Maybe to keep them from melting the plastics? They are a pain to change the bulbs.

#740 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

All of the GI lamps on f2k are low. Don't know why. Maybe to keep them from melting the plastics? They are a pain to change the bulbs.

That’s what i was thinking. But with LED’s in the GI i can’t see the plastics warping. I’m just repopulating my pf so i think i’ll give the Flush-mount style a try. They use them in a few areas already.

Do you see any reason to not set them deeper?

#741 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Most of the time it had to do with conditions at the time.
Fight 2000 has plastic pieces that are low to the main playfield...
So instead of having multiple sizes... economically it made sense to use
"one size fits all" approach.
On the other hand, they had a plethora of leftover lamps from the EM days
that they had to get rid of.

#742 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

That’s what i was thinking. But with LED’s in the GI i can’t see the plastics warping. I’m just repopulating my pf so i think i’ll give the Flush-mount style a try. They use them in a few areas already.
Do you see any reason to not set them deeper?

if you're going LED, I don't see why you can't use the staple down sockets.

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Most of the time it had to do with conditions at the time.
Fight 2000 has plastic pieces that are low to the main playfield...
So instead of having multiple sizes... economically it made sense to use
"one size fits all" approach.
On the other hand, they had a plethora of leftover lamps from the EM days
that they had to get rid of.

Good point, I thought of that also. It's like the brick pattern on the floor of my Seawitch. I'm still trying to figure out why Bally used particle board for the cabinet back and back box rear panesl starting around 1980.

#744 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Bally used particle board for the cabinet back and back box rear panesl starting around 1980.

1970's EM games. Management... cut costs here and there...
A cheaper suppler here and there... saves money down the line.
Gottlieb games did what the could to try and keep the quality up...
But like the other manufactures at the time... ( mid 1980's )
they reduced themselves to cheap particle board wood cabinets.
Buy this time, manufactures did not want their games to last.
I remember Steve Ritchie having to fight Williams for the VUK assembly
on F14... Management wanted a cheaper metal assembly. Etc,etc,etc.

#745 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Would you be willing to share the Fusion 360 file when its done ? Im thinking for 3D print, that would be an easy and very cheap way of replacing the inlane guides.

#746 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

Would you be willing to share the Fusion 360 file when its done ? Im thinking for 3D print, that would be an easy and very cheap way of replacing the inlane guides.

Yes, I will make the files available for free.

#747 4 years ago

I had some scrap 3mm polycarbonat kicking around, so i made a quick test, still need to be cut to length next to the flipper.

20200330_150909 (resized).jpg20200330_150909 (resized).jpg20200330_150933 (resized).jpg20200330_150933 (resized).jpg
#748 4 years ago

And it looks like this installed:

20200330_160912 (resized).jpg20200330_160912 (resized).jpg
#749 4 years ago
Quoted from RonniN:

And it looks like this installed:[quoted image]

That is a nice looking fix. If you find replacement non broken guides I think I would keep that in place. At least the missing art shows thru from the playfield below.

#750 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

That is a nice looking fix. If you find replacement non broken guides I think I would keep that in place. At least the missing art shows thru from the playfield below.

Thank you, and at least it works, i could have been a little more precise with the sanding, but only had a dremel and some sandpaper.

Here is a picture of both sides done:

received_225049622184445 (resized).jpegreceived_225049622184445 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 125.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.