(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 47.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Anyone else running the weebly setup? I was having issues with my boards so i got all new ones for my flash Gordon and flight 2k from weebly. Im running all his stuff in my Lectronamo with no issues but when powering up both machines the mpu fails to boot fully when the J2 connector is plugged in on the driver board. Im drawing a blank as to why this is happening.[quoted image]

Best bet is to email Andrew Spitler. He designed these and stands behind his products.

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Best bet is to email Andrew Spitler. He designed these and stands behind his products.

He has been eagerly helping me. He and myself are puzzled as to why this is happening on both the flash Gordon and f2k machines. When using his MPU with his new driver board the MPU will not finish booting, But if i change back to the old driver board it boots perfect. We are going to be doing more testing later today after work.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thank you ,
Yup, I just came up with the $, went to eBay to check out and they were sold

If you have not then send the seller and EBay PM and she if she has more.

Her dad was an operator from way back and she had lots of play fields.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

He has been eagerly helping me. He and myself are puzzled as to why this is happening on both the flash Gordon and f2k machines. When using his MPU with his new driver board the MPU will not finish booting, But if i change back to the old driver board it boots perfect. We are going to be doing more testing later today after work.

I took a new built driver board around to a bunch of different games and the test fixture. They all worked fine except Nine Ball has the no 7th flash issue. If I remove either J1 or J2 the 7th flash comes. If plug both J1 and J2 in the feature lamps all go dead until I unplug one of them. Quick check with the DMM the zero crossing detector on the MPU craps out when the bother flipper connectors are on the driver board. Really bizarre issue. I am about to dive into trying to figure out what is going on.

I did buy different flipper relays recently is the only thing I can think of that has changed. They are the same part number, RTE44012, as the ones I was using before but are Schrack brand instead of TE connectivity brand. The data sheets look identical except maybe the Schrack branding is for international sales? Made in a different plant.

#555 4 years ago

Crap, now nine ball just started working fine with that driver board. Intermittent problems are a bitch.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you have not then send the seller and EBay PM and she if she has more.
Her dad was an operator from way back and she had lots of play fields.

I actually did that . Her and I are in conversation, she doesn’t have any left . And she’s about to go on vacation for quite a while

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I think I figured out what is going on. I was able to get nine ball to boot up every time by removing the capacitors on the mosfet drain pin. The drain capacitors is 0.1uF across ground the drain pin of mosfet which runs out to the coils. When the mosfet is turned off the 43v feeds back through the coil windings up to the driver board. If enough coils are used enough capacitance is added to the 43v rail to break the zero cross detection that monitors the 43v suppy pass zero at 120hz to be used as a timer.

I have had those capacitors installed in the boards for a long time now and this is the first time I have found it to be an issue. Maybe the last batch of capacitors i got are actually over 0.1uF in rated. When the game started working the capacitance was probably dropped down as things heated up and the zero X detector started working again.

I was trying to be extra thorough and using those capacitors there but I think it causes problems in rare cases and the benefit is minimal. The other replacement sdb designs do not appear to be using those capacitors, or a gate capacitor. I will not populate those caps going forward and delete them from the design in the next revision.

Wolfcub if you cut out C301 to C319 on the driver board problem should go away.

#558 4 years ago

I will post up what happens when I get home and remove them.

#559 4 years ago

I'm still looking for a flight 2000 project or a players condition game if anyone has one they want to part with.

#560 4 years ago

Removed the caps as instructed and both machines now boot correctly.

#561 4 years ago

I got one of the PF from the Latin American lady who was selling off her fathers old stock.

All in all its in great shape being 4 decades old.

I will probably apply some additional clearcoat as it feels very thin. Do you know if PFs had less CC back in the days?

83F151DE-8C39-489F-914F-E858DBE8C583 (resized).jpeg83F151DE-8C39-489F-914F-E858DBE8C583 (resized).jpeg1122600C-F07B-45A2-8279-FA7B80BB0AB7 (resized).jpeg1122600C-F07B-45A2-8279-FA7B80BB0AB7 (resized).jpeg
#562 4 years ago

Congrats, looks great! You will absolutely want to clearcoat that playfield. See this thread for why: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/defender-williams-1982-nos-playfield-

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

I got one of the PF from the Latin American lady who was selling off her fathers old stock.
All in all its in great shape being 4 decades old.
I will probably apply some additional clearcoat as it feels very thin. Do you know if PFs had less CC back in the days?[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you pick up both playfields she had?

#564 4 years ago

This is what I love most about Pinside: a guy in Norway showing off a NOS playfield he picked up from Argentina. Is pinball still wall-to-wall or what?!

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Did you pick up both playfields she had?

I only bought one - have you asked her if she has got any more?

#566 4 years ago

The second one went to Norway ....

Guess I'll have it clearcoated - I'm currently trying out a local company who are going to clearcoat a Laser war for me next week.

The only thing I'm not sure of if they're able to handle filling the insert cupping and sanding themselves or if I should do it before delivering the playfield to them.

What do you guys think ?

I'm also considering just using a playfield protector and leaving the playfield as is, but I guess this might lead to planking further down the road ...

2019-10-16 16.29.40 (resized).jpg2019-10-16 16.29.40 (resized).jpg2019-10-16 16.29.44 (resized).jpg2019-10-16 16.29.44 (resized).jpg2019-10-16 16.29.50 (resized).jpg2019-10-16 16.29.50 (resized).jpg
#567 4 years ago

I am debating the same thing. Perhaps have them clearcoat it in stages where you sand it in between?

But at the same time I think a good auto shop should know how to handle recesses/cupping. Please keep me posted.

Are you restoring your cabinet as well?

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Congrats, looks great! You will absolutely want to clearcoat that playfield. See this thread for why: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/defender-williams-1982-nos-playfield-

Thank you for that advice and link!

#569 4 years ago

I'll keep you posted, Bulldozer !

Let me know what you decide to do.

The machine is in storage right now, I haven't had the chance to look at the cabinet properly - but a NOS playfield deserves a nice cabinet to go with it IMHO

Guess it'll be a summer project, I don't have the space to do it indoors and temperatures are falling ...

#570 4 years ago

I went with a playfield protector on mine because I will probably do more paint touch-up in the future and didn't want what is there to get worse. If yours is NOS and is perfect now then protect it with clear coat. Much better option.

And remember, det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige clear coat.

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I went with a playfield protector on mine because I will probably do more paint touch-up in the future and didn't want what is there to get worse. If yours is NOS and is perfect now then protect it with clear coat. Much better option.
And remember, det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige clear coat.

thank you for your reply. Yes - I will start calling auto paint shops next week.

Do you recommend some prep work for the surface. I looked at it again tofay and it looks like that there is no clear coat at all. As I can feel the insert edges.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

thank you for your reply. Yes - I will start calling auto paint shops next week.
Do you recommend some prep work for the surface. I looked at it again tofay and it looks like that there is no clear coat at all. As I can feel the insert edges.

I would check the inserts to see if they are glued in still. Just push lightly underneath and you’ll be able to tell if they pop out easily. I’m almost positive they’ll come right out. Check out vids playfield restoration thread for info on gluing them back in.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I would check the inserts to see if they are glued in still. Just push lightly underneath and you’ll be able to tell if they pop out easily. I’m almost positive they’ll come right out. Check out vids playfield restoration thread for info on gluing them back in.

My first Stern play field I restored I did not reset the inserts and just laid down the clear. With 35 year old glue the inserts are moving under the clear a little bit.

I won’t make that mistake again.
On my next restore, all inserts will be removed and reset with epoxy.

Your play fields have probably been living in a hot warehouse
for all these years. I would be suspicious of old insert glue.

#574 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Thanks for the tip, chubtoad13 !
Will definitely check this.

Are there other things to take in consideration before clearcoating ?

#575 4 years ago

You should remove all inserts, sand them flat and reglue them.
If you clear the playfield in this condition, clear will crack around all inserts.
This nos playfield is superb but it need a major treatment before clearcoating it.

Here's a F2K playfield i recenty restored. I customized a little the artwork and make black inserts rings thinner ''a la Bally''
IMG_6351 (resized).JPGIMG_6351 (resized).JPGIMG_6352 (resized).JPGIMG_6352 (resized).JPGIMG_6353 (resized).JPGIMG_6353 (resized).JPGIMG_6354 (resized).JPGIMG_6354 (resized).JPG

IMG_6351 (resized).JPGIMG_6351 (resized).JPG
#576 4 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

You should remove all inserts, sand them flat and reglue them.
If you clear the playfield in this condition, clear will crack around all inserts.
This nos playfield is superb but it need a major treatment before clearcoating it.
Here's a F2K playfield i recenty restored. I customized a little the artwork and make black inserts rings thinner ''a la Bally''[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome! But how did you keep the ”text” on the inserts if you sanded them?

#577 4 years ago

I scan them and use this product to recreate them when inserts reglued on the playfield.

#578 4 years ago

Here's the file i used to restore the inserts, i made them public for everyone in need of them.
I'm sorry they are rescale a bit by pinside but i think they are usable

Decals complet.jpgDecals complet.jpg
#579 4 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Here's the file i used to restore the inserts, i made them public for everyone in need of them.
I'm sorry they are rescale a bit by pinside but i think they are usable[quoted image]

Many thanks! That is very nice of you.

I might need them if it turns out I need to sand down my inserts.

Are there relacement inserts for old Stern games should they break while I am at it?

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

Are there relacement inserts for old Stern games should they break while I am at it?

Marco Specialties has a good selection of inserts.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=insert&VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=0&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

Pinball Life has some.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=insert

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

Pm me if you need an insert. I received a lot of F2k inserts recently. If I have what you need I’ll send it out to you.

#582 4 years ago

Bay Area also has a nice assortment of inserts.

3 weeks later
#583 4 years ago

Wondering if anyone has some advice. I replaced the caps on my SDU and I still am not booting. Voltages coming off the power board test points are correct. Tp1 and tp3 are not reading 5v on the sdu. What can I test next to narrow down my issue? It was doing random resets before completely dying.

#584 4 years ago

Shoot, sorry. I just remembered I was supposed to replace lm323 as well. I just ordered one and will see what that does.

1 week later
#585 4 years ago

I would check the rectifier board in the cabinet and the connectors. Repin any bad ones. Also check pins in the connectors at the boards in the head. Many were brittle or weak on my game. It has performed solid ever since.

I've rebuilt a lot of the Bally and Stern driver boards and haven't had to replace an lm323 yet. Don't know who said you have too.

If you haven't done the ground and 5v jumper mod I'd do that before swapping that voltage regulator.

#586 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I would check the rectifier board in the cabinet and the connectors. Repin any bad ones. Also check pins in the connectors at the boards in the head. Many were brittle or weak on my game. It has performed solid ever since.
I've rebuilt a lot of the Bally and Stern driver boards and haven't had to replace an lm323 yet. Don't know who said you have too.
If you haven't done the ground and 5v jumper mod I'd do that before swapping that voltage regulator.

It was someone in this thread. I am getting proper voltage at the rectifier board on all the test points. I repinned the connectors and replaced the header at the SDU but I do not show 5v on either test point on the SDU.

#587 4 years ago

I am really lost now. I replaced lm323 and now I am blowing the fuse for the 12v line. Lm323 shows a short. It looks like there is an insulating gasket on it that is not covering the whole thing now that I replaced it. Would this cause my problem? And if so did I ruin the new component? Any help would be appreciated as I am getting frustrated with this thing.

#588 4 years ago

Im hoping CPR will make another run of the playfields.

#589 4 years ago

I pulled lm323 and the short went away. I had it installed upside down. Didnt see polarity so I just put it in. The offset must have made a leg short against itself. I reinstalled and still not showing a short but still blows the fuse. Perhaps I fried it and that is blowing the fuse?

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Im hoping CPR will make another run of the playfields.

last i read they were moving to a print on demand next year

1 week later
#591 4 years ago

Just picked up a CAD sample so its coming sooner than you might have thought. My original sample was reprinted and sent back to the guy. I don't believe in making copies of copies so each PF must be a reproduction of an ACTUAL PF that came out of a game.

Mike

#592 4 years ago

Flight 2000 voyage start now !!

IMG_6351 (resized).JPGIMG_6351 (resized).JPG
#593 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Just picked up a CAD sample so its coming sooner than you might have thought. My original sample was reprinted and sent back to the guy. I don't believe in making copies of copies so each PF must be a reproduction of an ACTUAL PF that came out of a game.
Mike

Yes, I’d like to have a nice playfield, so repro would be good as well

3 weeks later
#594 4 years ago

I've been trying to resurrect an f2k and I have a short I just can't figure out. pin 8 on J1 pulls 22-24 amps as soon as the power is turned on. All of the boards are out of the game except the CPU. All of the lamp sockets have been replaced and there aren't even bulb in them yet. I'd prefer to not have to undo the wire bundle to trace it all the way back but I'm running out of options.

I realize it's a long shot but does anyone have any idea's on this?

#595 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I've been trying to resurrect an f2k and I have a short I just can't figure out. pin 8 on J1 pulls 22-24 amps as soon as the power is turned on. All of the boards are out of the game except the CPU. All of the lamp sockets have been replaced and there aren't even bulb in them yet. I'd prefer to not have to undo the wire bundle to trace it all the way back but I'm running out of options.

Is there a way to isolate whether it's in the head,on the play-field or the coin-door?

#596 4 years ago

The wire goes into the bundle that goes to the playfield. I can tone out a few places on the playfield but I've scoured the entire thing and all of the light sockets on the underside of the playfield have been replaced. As far as I can tell it doesn't go into the backbox and it definitely isn't on the coindoor. I don't understand how the circuit is even getting completed. The other thing is even when it's pulling ~24 amps through the one wire none of the fuses ever pop. At that amount of current I'd think one would blow. I have 2 meters and they both read the same and I've checked other wires and they read a more normal current.

I wish this game had a detailed wiring schematic.

#597 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I assume you are talking Pin 8 on J-1 on the MPU.

Per the F2K drawing On MPU (A4)...A4-J1-8 is not used.

Can you provide a more defined position for the wire in question?

Also, what color is the wire you are looking at?

#598 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I assume you are talking Pin 8 on J-1 on the MPU.
Per the F2K drawing On MPU (A4)...A4-J1-8 is not used.
Can you provide a more defined position for the wire in question?
Also, what color is the wire you are looking at?

Sorry I meant the rectifier board. It is labeled as "feature lamps" and goes to inserts.

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Sorry I meant the rectifier board. It is labeled as "feature lamps" and goes to inserts.

Rectifier board is A2

A2-J1-pin 1 is a red wire. This is the power wire for all of your GI lights. A2-J1-8 is a white wire. This is the return wire for all of your GI lights.

A2-J1 also has a blue wire that is the return wire for all of your feature lights. And each feature light has it own power wire coming from the lamp board.

It sounds like you have replaced some light sockets.

I’m guessing that you hooked up one of those wires incorrectly.

#600 4 years ago

The short has been present since before doing any work. Other than replacing the rectifier board. The original was bad. A lot of the light sockets were "fixed" someone soldering the bases. I assumed one of those was botched but they have all been replaced.

Currently the wire on J1-8 is blue or violet. Hard to tell. This wire had burned up on the connector at least once before so this has probably been going on for awhile.

I have a 2nd f2k I am also working on and I am pretty sure the wire is the same color on there. I will double check as soon as I get the chance

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 199.95
$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/12?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.