(Topic ID: 124724)

Flight 2000 Club - members and fans welcome!

By Snux

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,325 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 5.55.11 PM (resized).png
PXL_20240310_020948866 (resized).jpg
PF (resized).JPG
IMG20230430200630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4169 (resized).jpeg
9054E268-F271-40DC-805F-FFAB1924C7B8 (resized).jpeg
9AE80644-F808-46B1-9F40-1EDD65ADB443 (resized).jpeg
15ADFD65-8328-4778-834A-E5EA14EF10DB (resized).jpeg
IMG_9952 (resized).JPG
IMG_9950 (resized).JPG
IMG_9947 (resized).JPG
IMG_9944 (resized).JPG
5D2006E0-2E7A-4A88-A92F-E32EC01C9A5C (resized).jpeg
IMG_9886 (resized).JPG

There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 47.
#501 4 years ago

There is a "looking for playfields" thread you could try. F2K playfields come up once in a while. What condition is yours in? How much work does it need?

#502 4 years ago

Its pretty ok, with alot of mylar on. It has some cupped inserts that will affect gameplay.

Perhaps I should try to remover the mylar, touch up and then have a paint shop coat it?

#503 4 years ago

That's an option. Does the paint look good under the mylar and is the mylar in good shape?

#504 4 years ago

Success! I swapped out a bunch of lights behind the backglass to get better color. I left in a few white LEDs but mostly switched to some 47s I had laying around. I have a few orange LEDs in there as well behind the fire and planet on the right. Im probably still going to ditch the orange behind the planet I don't love it. It is looking much better though!

2019-08-19 11.39.07.jpg2019-08-19 11.39.07.jpgIMG_20190819_113147.jpgIMG_20190819_113147.jpg
#505 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Who has used the beehive play field protector? Thoughts? What did you have to do for install?

I did - in fact I think I may had the first F2K they did. Install was very easy - basically removed all plastics and laid the protector down. I did not wax it but probably should have. With the plastics removed I did a pretty through cleaning of the play-field and vacuumed several times.

#506 4 years ago

This is how my PF looks, mainly the mylar and some small inserts that are cupped that bother me. As well as ball trails in the upper black part that was not covered in mylar.

Nice backbox lighting, what have you more done in terms of restoration?

PNG image 6 (resized).pngPNG image 6 (resized).png
#507 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

Love seeing photos of other F2Ks
Does anyone know if its still possible to buy a reproduction playfield somewhere?
Asked CPR but they where all out of stock.

Luck of the draw at this point. There is a NOS on Ebay I think.

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Luck of the draw at this point. There is a NOS on Ebay I think.

Yes, there is one for sale on Ebay. This seller had a big lot of classic Stern play fields for sale a few months back. What someone on pinside said was that the seller's father was an operator in Argentina. It looks she has sold all of her of other NOS Stern play fields. The shipping might be a little pricy but at today's prices that NOS F2K looks the price is not way out there.

#509 4 years ago

Looks like some interesting changes on your playfield compared to mine. You have white acorn nuts instead of metal. Also, looks like someone cut down the plastics on the inlanes right at the flippers and added posts (or is rhat a production change?) Looks like big star posts at the outlanes too. See pics below of mine.

2019-08-19 15.27.19.jpg2019-08-19 15.27.19.jpg2019-08-19 15.27.36.jpg2019-08-19 15.27.36.jpg
#510 4 years ago

This is what mine looks like. I have the bigger star post at the outlane. I believe that’s factory. It looks like ArcadeRaid used to have them there from the imprint on the playfield.

The Star washer at the flippers is something I’ve never seen before. Looks like Bulldozer flippers are gottlieb possibly? They aren’t the stern ones in any case. They should be flat on the top

C9C5900E-2F53-4147-AA8B-AE3D8D831417 (resized).jpegC9C5900E-2F53-4147-AA8B-AE3D8D831417 (resized).jpeg
#511 4 years ago

Picked up mine on the weekend. Got it set up yesterday for a few games. Already replaced all the back box lights to led. Gave the cabinet interior a good cleaning and fixed a few minor issues. I cant wait to start taking it apart and doing a full repaint on this play field!

IMG_5911 (resized).JPGIMG_5911 (resized).JPGIMG_5912 (resized).JPGIMG_5912 (resized).JPGIMG_5913 (resized).JPGIMG_5913 (resized).JPGIMG_5914 (resized).JPGIMG_5914 (resized).JPGIMG_5915 (resized).JPGIMG_5915 (resized).JPGIMG_5922 (resized).JPGIMG_5922 (resized).JPGIMG_5928 (resized).JPGIMG_5928 (resized).JPGIMG_5929 (resized).JPGIMG_5929 (resized).JPG
#512 4 years ago
Quoted from Bulldozer:

Nice backbox lighting, what have you more done in terms of restoration?[quoted image]

Great question, here's a quick list off the top of my head.

• Cleaned playfield
• All new rubbers
• Rebuilt both flippers
• Replaced several cracked coils.
• Added cool white frosted LEDs to general illumination lamps
• Added Siegecraft boards and color matched frosted LEDs for control lighting.
• Troubleshot all light baynottes, mostly tightened them up and they came back to life
• Replaced one bad SCR on the light control board.
• Cleaned and adjusted every switch
• Created a mod to help balls go down the drain correctly and not miss the first switch.
• Touched up worn spots on playfield.
• Adjusted drop targets so they would stay up correctly.
• Replaced flaking backglass with a repro from CPR.

Still to do
• Add correct decals to the incorrect left spinner
• Add correct numbers to two incorrect drop targets
• Replace power rectifier board and molex plugs

#513 4 years ago

Man, if someone made a decal of the planet it would make so many playfields look better in just one step.

#514 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Who has used the beehive playfield protector? Thoughts? What did you have to do for install?

I bought "the Beehive" protector and it's great.

Pretty straightforward instructions given to install and everything was included. flipper-washers , shims for under the drop targets ( I needed to tape those in place though )

Removed large ball-walker plastic, spinners , flippers & the two inner out-lane posts used to keep it fastened in place.

The hardest thing was removing the blue plastic film on the new sheet of PETG plastic but again everything was included, a pair nitrile-gloves & a plastic blade

I purchased it during mild weather so it unfurled from the shipping tube & layed flat on the playfield glass right away. the instructions recommended leaving with machine for awhile.

It solved my cupped insert problems and the issue where ridge of the original mylar affected the ball travel especially where the right spinner value inserts where above the right lower sling.

I don't have the machine real close by (it's at "the club") the next time I visited it there was some slight shifting that occurred somehow but unloosing one of the posts & re-tightening made everything smooth again

A friend of mine asked if Beehive they made one for his #big-game and I didn't know but my friend contacted them and one was made for him as it wasn't made available anyplace else. and now at this post see that it's available on their Website

I purchased directly from their Website https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector to save from e-play fees & it shipped quick and shipping was priced right

#515 4 years ago

Cool. Ordered. Excited to put it in place. Getting so close to done.

#516 4 years ago

The thing i noticed is when i tried to get a bit more light to the playfield all the sockets on mine are so far down hardly half of the bulb even sits above the playfield. Doing the repaint im going to have to redo every single one so they are the recessed type.

#517 4 years ago

Well my beehive protector arrived and it includes an image that showw how to hold the protector dow. The protector is held in place by the two star posts at the outlane. Arrrrrr. Those are the two posts that someone swapped to be metal posts instead of star posts. I guess I need to buy some new star posts before installing this thing!

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Looks like some interesting changes on your playfield compared to mine. You have white acorn nuts instead of metal. Also, looks like someone cut down the plastics on the inlanes right at the flippers and added posts (or is rhat a production change?) Looks like big star posts at the outlanes too. See pics below of mine.[quoted image][quoted image]

Swap the posts with the one further on the outside

#519 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm doing some swapping around. Install was pretty easy but it is getting hung up on the ball walker every once and a while. There is just too tight of a tolerance and too much movement up there. My flippers are being jerks about being adjusted too. Oh well, enough for tonight!

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Yeah, I'm doing some swapping around. Install was pretty easy but it is getting hung up on the ball walker every once and a while. There is just too tight of a tolerance and too much movement up there. My flippers are being jerks about being adjusted too. Oh well, enough for tonight!

You might have to get the Dremel tool and do some trimming in tight areas. You will have a lot of room to trim. The silver ball measures 1 1/16". With a radius of 1/2" your trim can be 3/8" away from a contact point and ball travel will not be affected. It might not look quite as pretty as a tight cut will but you will never notice it while playing and after a little while you will not notice it at all.

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You might have to get the Dremel tool and do some trimming in tight areas...

I made one of these from Petg before beehive made them. I found small sharp scissors (used Swiss Army knife) and a fresh x-acto knife were the best option for fine adjustment. Dremel tended to melt the material.

#522 4 years ago

Six plays for a dollar coin. I wish places still had this deal today!

2019-08-23 18.05.43.jpg2019-08-23 18.05.43.jpg
#523 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Six plays for a dollar coin. I wish places still had this deal today![quoted image]

Back in the early 80's when I played this in the arcades I got desperate one day cuz I loved to play but was out of money. I had a nickel and threw into the SBA slot and got 6 credits. It didn't work every time , I had to throw it in just right to fool the coin mech, ahh the ol' days.

#524 4 years ago

Noticed that F2K is in the background on the Deadpool machine’s display not once, but twice! It’s next to Colossus playing on another machine and behind Wolverine at the bar.

#525 4 years ago

I got back to work this morning on my spinner. Ordering a decal would probably have been easiest but where's the fun in that?

My wife has some new software for her Silhouette vinyl cutter that can take any image and turn it into a pattern for cutting. She was excited to try it out.

I am very happy with the results. I could have also used this to make a stencil for painting as well but I figured why not apply right to the spinner. The blue is a little darker than the original but you would never know when it is on the machine.

IMG_20190825_100705.jpgIMG_20190825_100705.jpgIMG_20190825_102242.jpgIMG_20190825_102242.jpgIMG_20190825_102234.jpgIMG_20190825_102234.jpgIMG_20190825_101846.jpgIMG_20190825_101846.jpgIMG_20190825_101418.jpgIMG_20190825_101418.jpgIMG_20190825_101937.jpgIMG_20190825_101937.jpgIMG_20190825_101541.jpgIMG_20190825_101541.jpgIMG_20190825_102813.jpgIMG_20190825_102813.jpg
#526 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I got back to work this morning on my spinner. Ordering a decal would probably have been easiest but where's the fun in that?
My wife has some new software for her Silhouette vinyl cutter that can take any image and turn it into a pattern for cutting. She was excited to try it out.
I am very happy with the results. I could have also used this to make a stencil for painting as well but I figured why not apply right to the spinner. The blue is a little darker than the original but you would never know when it is on the machine.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So this cutter makes a vinyl mask that you apply and peel. And then shoot what ever color of paint you want?

#527 4 years ago

Yes, you can use it that way. I actually just applied the cut out vinyl right to the spinner since the colors were close. You can also do the inverse though and remove and discard the inside and use the vinyl as a stencil and paint. I saved the outside area to use as a stencil in the future if I choose to go that route.

#528 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Yes, you can use it that way. I actually just applied the cut out vinyl right to the spinner since the colors were close. You can also do the inverse though and remove and discard the inside and use the vinyl as a stencil and paint. I saved the outside area to use as a stencil in the future if I choose to go that route.

I need to look at getting one of these.

#529 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I need to look at getting one of these.

I looked. Not cheap. EBay here I come

#530 4 years ago

Im having a slight issue that's driving me up the wall. My top left slingshot is not working. Checking the solenoid driver board every thing appears fine and I still even swapped 2 transistors to just make sure and nothing has changed with the left upper slingshot. The leaf switches are fine and still work for scoring. The coil is fine as i jumped it and it still works perfect. All wires (Green-blue / Yellow) from the coil to driver board are conducting fine, wires from leafs to mpu (brown) are conducting fine.

Im confused.

#531 4 years ago

Broken solder connections on the driver board? Bent or broken pins in the connector shells that plug onto that board.

#532 4 years ago

I removed the boards and checked the board to pin connections with my tester and even re-floated them to be sure. Pulled back the wire connectors just enough to get the tester probe in when installed on the boards to test for connector to pin continuity and all was still good.

#533 4 years ago

Looking for a nice playfield if anyone has one to sell, Would be fine if lamp sockets are still installed and if some parts are still on. Also would be good with a new repro as well

#534 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Im having a slight issue that's driving me up the wall. My top left slingshot is not working. Checking the solenoid driver board every thing appears fine and I still even swapped 2 transistors to just make sure and nothing has changed with the left upper slingshot. The leaf switches are fine and still work for scoring. The coil is fine as i jumped it and it still works perfect. All wires (Green-blue / Yellow) from the coil to driver board are conducting fine, wires from leafs to mpu (brown) are conducting fine.
Im confused.

Sounds like your predriver transistor array 3081 chip is bad. Can be tested with a logic probe.

#535 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Sounds like your predriver transistor array 3081 chip is bad. Can be tested with a logic probe.

Will need to look into that. My multi meter has no logic test mode. Might need to either get a designated unit or look into a better meter that has that option.

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Will need to look into that. My multi meter has no logic test mode. Might need to either get a designated unit or look into a better meter that has that option.

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-LP-560-Logic-Probe/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ref=sr_1_2

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

amazon.com link »

lol perfect. I ordered a better meter for myself and that same logic tester even before you posted. I just now need to learn how to test the 3081 with it. Looks like weebly makes a replacement setup for it.

#538 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

lol perfect. I ordered a better meter for myself and that same logic tester even before you posted. I just now need to learn how to test the 3081 with it. Looks like weebly makes a replacement setup for it.

You test the inputs to the 3081's and the outputs. Really easy. Since you've already replaced the tip102/122, it's most likely the 3081 since that's the only thing inbetween the 4-16 decoder and the 102. The decoder is probably ok or you'd see some other solenoids not firing.

#539 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You test the inputs to the 3081's and the outputs. Really easy. Since you've already replaced the tip102/122, it's most likely the 3081 since that's the only thing in between the 4-16 decoder and the 102. The decoder is probably ok or you'd see some other solenoids not firing.

OK so i got my logic tester yesterday. Using one is still new to me so im not fully understanding the testing procedures fully. I took a close look at the U1 chip (ca3081) all indicated tabs in use on all seem to test the same between the 4 sling shots.

If i jump the tabs on the U1 for top right sling, bottom left sling and bottom right sling they fire. The top left sling will still not fire when I jump it. Putting the machine in test mode i do see that the pins #2 and # 3 on U1 are functioning like the the other 3 slings. So after confirming that i think its ok so say everything from the U2 decoder chip to the U1 transistor chip is functioning correctly.

Next i worked my way down to see what possibly was different between the 4 slings and the U1 chip. The three working slings gave me readings that confirmed that the transistors located at Q1, Q5, and Q6 were being triggered. I get nothing being triggered at Q2 (the defective sling). From that I would assume something between the Q2 transistor and the U1 is defective. I tested the cap, resistors and diode. All seem to check and all board connections between these items are reading as making contact. I even un soldered the diode, resistor and cap from a working sling and swapped them into the location of the non working sling and it changed nothing.

#540 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

OK so i got my logic tester yesterday. Using one is still new to me so im not fully understanding the testing procedures fully. I took a close look at the U1 chip (ca3081) all indicated tabs in use on all seem to test the same between the 4 sling shots.
If i jump the tabs on the U1 for top right sling, bottom left sling and bottom right sling they fire. The top left sling will still not fire when I jump it. Putting the machine in test mode i do see that the pins #2 and # 3 on U1 are functioning like the the other 3 slings. So after confirming that i think its ok so say everything from the U2 decoder chip to the U1 transistor chip is functioning correctly.
Next i worked my way down to see what possibly was different between the 4 slings and the U1 chip. The three working slings gave me readings that confirmed that the transistors located at Q1, Q5, and Q6 were being triggered. I get nothing being triggered at Q2 (the defective sling). From that I would assume something between the Q2 transistor and the U1 is defective. I tested the cap, resistors and diode. All seem to check and all board connections between these items are reading as making contact. I even un soldered the diode, resistor and cap from a working sling and swapped them into the location of the non working sling and it changed nothing.

Sounds like U1 is defective. Good input but bad output....

1 week later
#541 4 years ago

Changed the U1 but same issue. Possibly the U2 chip now? Need to try to find a possible replacement for that one.

#542 4 years ago

Good input but bad output? That's odd. You testing with the probe right on the pins of the chip or at the next component upstream and downstream?

#543 4 years ago

Ok so pulled the board yet again. Went thru everything again, resistors and diodes. Everything last time checking seemed fine but I found the diode this time on that same left upper sling that was not reading correct. Switched it out and now everything works. Woot!

#544 4 years ago

And now she will never need another battery. NVRAM installed in less than 5 minutes.

20190909_203456 (resized).jpg20190909_203456 (resized).jpg
#545 4 years ago

Nice. I will go to one eventually. Someone installed a big lithium battery on mine over a decade ago and it is still going strong. I'll go this route when that battery finally gives out! I can't believe it is still going.

4 weeks later
#546 4 years ago

Do any of you guys have a cpr playfield you’re willing to let go of?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/85010

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Do any of you guys have a cpr playfield you’re willing to let go of?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/85010

See if this woman still has any to sell. She came on last year with a big inventory of NOS Stern play fields.

but she be all sold out now.

ebay.com link: NOS Flight 2000 Stern Pinball NOS Playfield 1980 ORIGINAL

ebay.com link: sch

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

See if this woman still has any to sell. She came on last year with a big inventory of NOS Stern play fields.
but she be all sold out now.
ebay.com link » Nos Flight 2000 Stern Pinball Nos Playfield 1980 Original
ebay.com link

Thank you ,
Yup, I just came up with the $, went to eBay to check out and they were sold

#549 4 years ago

Oops.

IMG_20191015_173457.jpgIMG_20191015_173457.jpg
#550 4 years ago

Anyone else running the weebly setup? I was having issues with my boards so i got all new ones for my flash Gordon and flight 2k from weebly. Im running all his stuff in my Lectronamo with no issues but when powering up both machines the mpu fails to boot fully when the J2 connector is plugged in on the driver board. Im drawing a blank as to why this is happening.

IMG_6532 (resized).JPGIMG_6532 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Other
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.