• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EADE0BD7-BC03-4442-80DC-42E6BEE93F57 (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Slick Chick and one of the pop bumper lights flickers from normal to low intensity during game play. I tried re-soldering the connections with no success. Any suggestions?

#2 5 years ago

Here are a few things to try:
- Clean the socket with an eraser or small wire brush on a rotary tool.
- Check that the bottom tab in the socket hasn't been bent down. Sometimes it doesn't provide enough tension on the bottom of the bulb.
- Clean the bulb base, or replace the bulb.
- Replace the whole socket if corrosion may have gotten between the riveted parts.

/Mark

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Here are a few things to try:
- Clean the socket with an eraser or small wire brush on a rotary tool.
- Check that the bottom tab in the socket hasn't been bent down. Sometimes it doesn't provide enough tension on the bottom of the bulb.
- Clean the bulb base, or replace the bulb.
- Replace the whole socket if corrosion may have gotten between the riveted parts.
/Mark

Exactly.
Well covered.

#4 5 years ago

If the bulb in the socket is loose try pinching the sides of the socket with a needle nose pliers so the bulb fits tightly.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

If the bulb in the socket is loose try pinching the sides of the socket with a needle nose pliers so the bulb fits tightly.

Be sure it's just a pinch though. Do NOT want to overdo this.

#7 5 years ago

You sure that’s a correct replacement for a pop bumper socket?

#8 5 years ago

That's not the right lamp socket for a pop bumper socket. It's this one available here (scroll down about 10 pictures)
http://www.pbresource.com/sockets.html

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#9 5 years ago

Is it worth changing to the 555s?

EADE0BD7-BC03-4442-80DC-42E6BEE93F57 (resized).pngEADE0BD7-BC03-4442-80DC-42E6BEE93F57 (resized).png
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You sure that’s a correct replacement for a pop bumper socket?

see what i get for speed reading -

For what it's worth, when I clearcoated my Alladins Castle this past summer, I snipped off the original long stiff wire leads and soldered stranded wire on there, basically making it that 555 update. Cut them extra long, snake them under the playfield brackets then snip to desired length and solder. If your socket is jacked up though i guess you might as well do the 555 thing......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flickering-pop-bumper-light and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.