• Latest reply 2 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WoZ C-52_Cable Routing - Copy (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

What's going on here? How to find the problem and fix?

#2 2 years ago

Go over all the data cables. They go board to board according to the attached chain. Red is data out, green is data in, so red feeds green from board to board. Follow the chain along, look for where in the chain the blinking starts and it will be either the last board lit solidly or the first board that's flickering where you will most likely find the problem. No matter what, NEVER plug in or unplug the violet and black power connectors with the game power on - you will blow things up - however it is perfectly okay to manipulate data cables with the power on.

WoZ C-52_Cable Routing - Copy (resized).jpgWoZ C-52_Cable Routing - Copy (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

look for where in the chain the blinking starts and it will be either the last board lit solidly or the first board that's flickering

The blinking starts at different places. First I noticed between node 4 and 5. After a while it started working fine Next time it started to blink between node 1 and 2. I have reseated the connectors there. Doesn't seem to fix the problem.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

The blinking starts at different places. First I noticed between node 4 and 5. After a while it started working fine Next time it started to blink between node 1 and 2. I have reseated the connectors there. Doesn't seem to fix the problem.

First, did you check the USB connections into the computer and also into the big driver board in the cabinet? This could be a loose connector.

When diagnosing bad light boards that also can look like this, you need to skip over the lowest numbered board that is a problem (say, jump from 4 to 6 if 5 is the first one with an issue, though SOMETIMES it can be the board BEFORE the one where you see the issue that is a problem, so if jumping over one doesn't do it, start back one board previous and jump from there) and remove that board in the list on the settings menu. Then repeat if it happens again at other points. You can leave the power connectors on the board (if the board has them), just jump over the data lines with the red and green ends.

But honestly, just get the 2.0 lighting upgrade. The original lighting system on WOZ is a joke for reliability. 2.0 is rock solid, and the upgrade process is pretty straightforward.

#5 2 years ago

Thank you for the help. Found a bad node at #2 and replaced it. Fixed!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Thank you for the help. Found a bad node at #2 and replaced it. Fixed!

Awesome! Get that 2.0 lighting kit upgrade on your wishlist!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

if jumping over one doesn't do it, start back one board previous and jump from there) and remove that board in the list on the settings menu

Even though it's fixed, can you explain how to "Jump over the board" and how to remove it in the settings menu? As it turns out, I didn't do either one of these. I couldn't find that in the settings menu. Thank you.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Even though it's fixed, can you explain how to "Jump over the board" and how to remove it in the settings menu? As it turns out, I didn't do either one of these. I couldn't find that in the settings menu. Thank you.

The data cable that goes from one board to another, you just unplug the green cable (the "in") and skip over the bad board. Then in "game settings" at the end of the settings list there's an "RGB LIGHT BOARDS" section and you need to find the name/number of the board you skipped over and turn it off on that list or the color addressing will be messed up since you skipped a board.

But really, just get the 2.0 lighting upgrade kit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flickering-lights-jjp-wizard-of-oz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.