Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a 1979 Bally KISS pinball machine that has the "credit/ball in play number" display that a) either doesn't come on at all, b)will show "99" "99" briefly and clearly, or after initial start up will just flicker wildly, which is it's state most often. Sometimes (rarely) I can see the correct credit/ball number faintly through the flickering. When it shows the "99 99", it is bright and clear so I know that the display is able to display the right number. It's my first pinball so I am pretty clueless on what to do. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and I can send a video of it acting up also if that would help in diagnosing.

#2 2 years ago

With power off, remove the plug on the display, then reinstall it. Power up, then report back on whether the issue cleared.

I assume you know how to get into the back box. If not, we can walk you thru it.

While in the back box, look for AA batteries on the circuit board in the upper left side. For now, I just want to know if your machine has them, which would mean the MPU is original.

#3 2 years ago

Also, try switching it to another spot, such as player 4, and see if the problem follows the display.

This will tell you if it is a problem with the display, the harness, or the MPU.

#4 2 years ago

I switched the display with player 4 and it still has the same problem in the "credit/ball count" area. The old board switched to the player four spot works fine there, so it would seem that the display board is not the problem. As far as the mpu board in the back upper left, it has something that is the size of a AA battery on the bottom of the board that is hard wired to it. The date in the lower right corner of the board says "Bally 5-79".

#5 2 years ago

It sounds like you have a connector issue and an original battery. (I had a brain cramp in my earlier post - Williams machines of that era use 3 AA batteries)

Has the battery started to leak? You said hard wired, I assume the leads are soldered to the board. Regardless, you need to get that off of the board before it leaks and destroys the circuit board. There are several options available, the easiest is to install NVRam and remove the battery.

(The battery is used for saving how much per game, number of balls, points needed for winning a game, and other game settings.)

Since we know the display is good and the position acts the same, With power off, unplug J1 on the MPU And plug it back in. Power up and see if that fixes it. If so, then that connector should be repinned. If this fixes it, you may be ok for awhile, but the issue will come back. Over time, these pins corrode or lose their spring tension, resulting in poor connections. It’s also possible you have bad connections at the display unit, but in my experience, most of the issues with connectors are on the circuit boards in the head. Another possibility is cold solder joints on the MPU, which requires reflowing the solder, but go one step at a time.

#6 2 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the info. I will start going through it in the morning. Would Marco be the place to get the NVRam? Also is there some place to see how to install it? thanks again.

#7 2 years ago

I unplugged and plugged the J1 back in with no change. When I bought it about a month ago the guy I bought did tell that it had that ongoing issue there. I also had to separate the display/top cabinet from the playfield cabinet for transport, so it has already been plugged and unplugged for that and it still did it after I reassembled it. There is no sign of any leakage from the battery at the moment also.

#8 2 years ago

The ram chip should be socketed, so changing it out should be easy. Note the indent on the chip - that indicates where pin #1 is. You pry up on the chip, evenly, on each end. Kind of rock it out. Once out, you install the NVram by slowly pushing it back into the existing socket. This is best done with the board out of the machine so that you can see that the legs of the chip are lined up and going into the socket. You don't want a leg to miss a socket hole and bend up.

While the board is out, clip the leads of the battery to get it out. The main thing is to remove the battery body. Once this is all done, after reinstalling the MPU, you will have to reset all of the parameters such as coins, score thresholds, etc.

Pinitech is a good source for NVRAM. The website also shows where the NVRAM gets installed. I just looked, and everyone is having supply issues - they are out of stock everywhere, so you will have to keep your battery on the board. Keep a close eye on it - if it starts to leak, get it off and wait for supply to replenish. Better to wait than to destroy a board.

I'm hoping others will chime in with ideas about the credit issue.

#9 2 years ago

OK, so once the NVRam is installed it will take the place of the existing "battery", so I don't need to connect the cut leads from the battery to anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flickering-credit-ball-light-display-on-bally-kiss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.