(Topic ID: 96197)

Flatten Plastics using the Sun they said...

By robbiedoo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Tilt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFM Plastics.jpg
    may june 2014 004.jpg
    IMG_20140702_183014.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Between two pinball glass, they said. It's the best way, they said.

Sure, you end up with good flat plastics, but no one mentioned what it does to your lawn! (Not to mention your wife's reaction!)

IMG_20140702_183014.jpgIMG_20140702_183014.jpg

Ugh! Hindsight is 20/20! I facepalm myself in embarrassment.

#3 9 years ago

Ha! That is too f'ing funny! Sorry about the lawn! Hey, at least you have flat plastics now right!?

#4 9 years ago

Some green paint will fix that right up. Make sure to use vid's ultimate guide to lawn repair

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Some green paint will fix that right up. Make sure to use vid's ultimate guide to lawn repair

Now that's funny!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#6 9 years ago

I was expecting "shrinky dinks"

#7 9 years ago

HA HA!! Thats awesome.

#8 9 years ago

Pinball soul patch for your lawn.

#9 9 years ago

Haven't you ever left a part of your lawn covered for a few days by something like a garbage can, kid's toys, a tent, pinball glass etc. in the Summer? We usually learn about air & water requirements from the results of that. Looks like you did today.

#10 9 years ago

But the real question on my mind at least ... Did the plastics flatten?

Marcus

#11 9 years ago

Here in the Edmonton Capital area, using this sun trick only works for around 8 weeks in the summer.

#13 9 years ago

How long was it on for? That's odd, must have magnified a bit with the setup and burned the grass?

#14 9 years ago

Probably just a fuse

#15 9 years ago

I know what to expect from my kids swing set slide covering grass for days at a time... But this was on my lawn for 2 hours! That's it!

Yes, I got good flat plastics out of it. So I can say it does work well... for plastics at least.

#16 9 years ago

Hey Robbie, I got some plastics to flatten out. I figure since you already have the beauty mark in your grass........

#17 9 years ago

Small price to pay for good plastics. grass Always grows back.

#18 9 years ago

Facepalm indeed.

The look your mother gives you when you decide to pickup your homemade black plastic slip and slide.

#19 9 years ago

That's one big playfield plastic, what was it?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

Between two pinball glass, they said. It's the best way, they said.
    Sure, you end up with good flat plastics, but no one mentioned what it does to your lawn! (Not to mention your wife's reaction!)

Ugh! Hindsight is 20/20! I facepalm myself in embarrassment.

IMG_20140702_183014.jpg 486 KB

"Here lies Uncle Bill, he came into this world pennyless and left the same way."

Now taking donations for a tasteful stone.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

I know what to expect from my kids swing set slide covering grass for days at a time... But this was on my lawn for 2 hours! That's it!
    Yes, I got good flat plastics out of it. So I can say it does work well... for plastics at least.

Was that two hours measured in Metric/SI units?

Amazing how short and mild your Summer season is. Kinda like just about all of the Western US where I was the past two weeks. No flies or mosquitoes. Snakes, fire ants & scorpions though.

#22 9 years ago

Well, it's not so mild sometimes... for about a week a year I would love to have air conditioning.

Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

That's one big playfield plastic, what was it?

It was for 3 plastics, but they weren't as big as the pinball glass... I just put them between 2 pinball's glass to make them flat.

...and to kill 2 sq. meters of my lawn.

...and to give my wife something more to hold over my head! Seriously though, she finds it hilarious.

#23 9 years ago

This was April 17th 2014.
    may june 2014 004.jpgmay june 2014 004.jpg

So that glass method may not work in the Spring.

#24 9 years ago

Haha. If that was here in Oz we'd mow it, roll it and have a perfect cricket pitch!!

I say nice work!!

#25 9 years ago

Might want to place those play field glasses on a beach towel in the driveway instead of on the lawn.- Captain Hindsight

#26 9 years ago

did you try novus 2? joe

#27 9 years ago

Just add, "Three Kilos of Pure Dirt" and some pennington seed starter.. Done.

#28 9 years ago

I would highly doubt it's beyond growing back. Just water it and it will be fine. Next time put your plastics under the broiler set at high.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

I would highly doubt it's beyond growing back. Just water it and it will be fine. Next time put your plastics under the broiler set at high.

Lawn tips on PinSide. Is this a great group or what?!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#30 9 years ago

lol

#31 9 years ago

I recently unloaded a bed full of mulch from my pickup truck into the flower bed in front of my house.... Its a big bed and so i had to reposition the truck many times to get it to diff parts of the bed. I used 4x4 and was very careful not to tear up the grass.... Managed to do the whole thing without tearing up the grass.

Fast forward a couple days and there are all kinds of dead spots all over the front lawn.... I guess the cold water dripping off the A/C of the truck killed the grass.... Damn it.

#32 9 years ago

Cheddar-

Massive paint fade, will be hard to match, suggest repainting the whole lawn!!!

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Cheddar-
    Massive paint fade, will be hard to match, suggest repainting the whole lawn!!!

Maybe cover that part with a piece of glass until you get the color right.

#34 9 years ago

You have to think out of the box on this one Robbie. At least now you have a perfect template for burying the family pet in.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from joe2012:

did you try novus 2? joe

You mean Novus 3 for that. LOL

#36 9 years ago

http://www.lawnlift.com/index.asp?cc=

They actually have lawn spray paint...

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

Your wife cares about the grass in the yard?

#38 9 years ago

I just did this! Funny thing is I put the glass over a weeded area... and now I just keep moving it around a little and weeds are all dead!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Your wife cares about the grass in the yard?

Hahaha, no. Well, no more than I do anyway.

Her reaction has more to do with laughing at what I did... it seems I'm always up to something!

#40 9 years ago

I was gunna say. People are joking about painting the lawn, but some people actually do.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

They actually have lawn spray paint...

#41 9 years ago

#42 9 years ago

My lawn is sacred - just ask my friends Hank, Boomhower, Dale and Bill!!!

#43 9 years ago

A mate did a similar thing with his AFM plastics but used the farmers field next door, caused a bit of a stink though as the farmer thought it was the end of the world, I mean jeez it was just a few pinball plastics for Pete's sake Moral of the story....use someone else's backyard and blame the aliens

AFM Plastics.jpgAFM Plastics.jpg

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

Her reaction has more to do with laughing at what I did... it seems I'm always up to something!

Keeps her on her toes.

#45 9 years ago

Just goes to show that your HOU grass doesnt mean that its mint. Send that patch to HEP and see if they can help out.
    Wish you the best, im sure the lawn was on track to be 10k by christmas, but you might have to settle for less or wait till st patty's day to get your full 10k

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flatten-plastics-using-the-sun-they-said and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.