IMG_0236 (resized).jpeg
output_image1686328633572 (resized).jpg
output_image1686328542452 (resized).jpg
output_image1686328510722 (resized).jpg
Resized_20230604_132253 (resized).jpeg
20230505_180920 (resized).jpg
20230501_184744 (resized).jpg
20230505_180318 (resized).jpg
There are 165 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

First time doing cheese steaks. Oh man!!!! Was only missing San del peppers. Was killer!
[quoted image][quoted image]

What kind of steak do you recommend buying and how do you get it so thinly sliced?

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

What kind of steak do you recommend buying and how do you get it so thinly sliced?

grocery store had it pre shaved. not sure the part it was used but it was freakin good. guessing ribeye? it was 5.99 for a package which was 1 lb

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Ribeye is the ideal cut for cheesesteaks

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

2nd part of your question is, put the ribeye in the freezer for 30 minutes, makes it much easier to get thin slices and you can always pound it thinner with a meat mallet.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

2nd part of your question is, put the ribeye in the freezer for 30 minutes, makes it much easier to get thin slices and you can always pound it thinner with a meat mallet.

Yup and get a good knife too. You don't need a super expensive high end knife but don't be messin around with the bs your wife found on sale at Target either.

I made some super good fajitas on my flat top over the weekend but I got a new phone and lost the pictures I'm going to have to do some philly cheeses soon though because that looks fiiiiire. I like mine with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and provalone cheese though. It may not be the original, but it is the superior cheesesteak

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

First time doing cheese steaks. Oh man!!!! Was only missing San del peppers. Was killer!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where’s the Whiz???

#58 2 years ago

Thinkn i need to do some hash browns…. With cheese, onions, maybe some green pepper….

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Where’s the Whiz???

no whiz. did sharp cheddar swiss mix. put a ton in and feel like it needed more. might do provolone next time.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

no whiz. did sharp cheddar swiss mix. put a ton in and feel like it needed more. might do provolone next time.

A Philly classic is with the Wiz! Give it a try!

#61 2 years ago

yeah I should try it with that. I'm sure it would be tasty

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Ribeye is the ideal cut for cheesesteaks

Ribeye is perfect for a Philly cheese steak, but New England has its own take… Steak “tips,” which is a bit of genius marketing by Hilltop Steakhouse for flap meat cut into chunks, which is ground into burger in other regions, but sold as “steak” in New England.

My recipe:
1) cut flap meat into 1.25” cubes, grill on flat top to med rare w/salt & pepper.
2) prepare a French omelette.
3) melt sharp cheddar on steak, including a bit of A1 sauce.
4) add the French omelette to a toasted sub roll, add lots of ground black pepper.
5) top omelette with steak tip and cheese mix.
6) increase statin dosage… lol.

Hilltop (resized).jpegHilltop (resized).jpeg
#63 2 years ago

Sounds interesting. May need to try that

#64 2 years ago

First time doing some hibachi chicken fried rice tonight. I made to much for two people

0F3605CE-04B0-41CA-A7FB-E472AED65492 (resized).jpeg0F3605CE-04B0-41CA-A7FB-E472AED65492 (resized).jpeg4270AEE7-898D-4480-A6AD-9D458CEE213C (resized).jpeg4270AEE7-898D-4480-A6AD-9D458CEE213C (resized).jpeg69A71295-7085-4815-ACC9-A9F12B2102E7 (resized).jpeg69A71295-7085-4815-ACC9-A9F12B2102E7 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#65 2 years ago

FYI, Sam’s sells great griddles. Got this one for $200 and it cooks just as good as my uncles $500 blackstone.

7A44DFA2-9388-4DB5-AF8F-9315276210E6 (resized).jpeg7A44DFA2-9388-4DB5-AF8F-9315276210E6 (resized).jpeg

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

FYI, Sam’s sells great griddles. Got this one for $200 and it cooks just as good as my uncles $500 blackstone.
[quoted image]

Is there a grease trap on that?

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Is there a grease trap on that?

There is, on the front see there’s a handle to pullout the tray. Holds a standard loaf pan as a liner.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Nothing like a Saturday breakfast on the grill
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Them flattops are cheating. I find it’s more of a challenge to cook right on the grate. Scrambled eggs are a bitch though.

C795E5A2-D0F0-43A1-81A0-09CCA863C568 (resized).pngC795E5A2-D0F0-43A1-81A0-09CCA863C568 (resized).png
#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Them flattops are cheating. I find it’s more of a challenge to cook right on the grate. Scrambled eggs are a bitch though.
[quoted image]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA

1 week later
#70 2 years ago

Snapper tonight, the grouper tomorrow night

274C6318-8096-41BC-97F8-4BC56A8C1549 (resized).jpeg274C6318-8096-41BC-97F8-4BC56A8C1549 (resized).jpeg9C632969-7603-41E1-B069-09C506DF1BC8 (resized).jpeg9C632969-7603-41E1-B069-09C506DF1BC8 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#71 2 years ago

Bought a 22" Blackstone for the lake. Made a great breakfast of former champions

20210905_102237 (resized).jpg20210905_102237 (resized).jpg20210905_102453 (resized).jpg20210905_102453 (resized).jpg
#72 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

[quoted image]

Dang, kinda wish I'd looked around a little more before dropping $150 on my Steelmade griddle. No complaints about the product but I've already run into situations where I need to both grill AND griddle for the same meal.

1 month later
#73 2 years ago

I recently replaced my 2007 Barbaques Galore Cap'n Cook with a Brookstone 3 burner griddle. I’d been using a cast iron griddle on the grill to cook everything anyway, so I figured I’d make the switch.

The garlic on my steaks doesn’t fall thru grates and there's no worry about my food catching fire. I couldn’t think of anything you'd make on a grill that you couldn’t on a griddle.

Except chicken wings. Just got a big pack of wings and thought, "ut-oh!"

What do griddle folks use to measure the temp? I bought an analog dial thermometer to sit on the griddle, but it’s response time is painfully slow. So, I switched to my instant read kitchen thermometer, but I’m wondering what other folks use.

1 week later
#74 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I recently replaced my 2007 Barbaques Galore Cap'n Cook with a Brookstone 3 burner griddle. I’d been using a cast iron griddle on the grill to cook everything anyway, so I figured I’d make the switch.
The garlic on my steaks doesn’t fall thru grates and there's no worry about my food catching fire. I couldn’t think of anything you'd make on a grill that you couldn’t on a griddle.
Except chicken wings. Just got a big pack of wings and thought, "ut-oh!"
What do griddle folks use to measure the temp? I bought an analog dial thermometer to sit on the griddle, but it’s response time is painfully slow. So, I switched to my instant read kitchen thermometer, but I’m wondering what other folks use.

ebay.com link: itm

2 months later
1 month later
#76 2 years ago

just bought a 36" Blackstone over the weekend and broke it in with smash burgers...they were amazing.
Can't wait for the weather to really warm up. I could see us using it for most meals.

My traditional gas grill is rusting out pretty bad. Anyone have both a traditional and a flat top? I also have a classic Weber charcoal grill.

275201580_10113082840669307_950449311356503962_n (resized).jpg275201580_10113082840669307_950449311356503962_n (resized).jpg
#77 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

just bought a 36" Blackstone over the weekend and broke it in with smash burgers...they were amazing.
Can't wait for the weather to really warm up. I could see us using it for most meals.
My traditional gas grill is rusting out pretty bad. Anyone have both a traditional and a flat top? I also have a classic Weber charcoal grill.
[quoted image]

Weber and a Flat Top is all you need, I use the flat top a lot more. I use both year round.

#78 2 years ago

Flat top all the way, no flare ups easier cleanup.

#79 2 years ago

I bought a 36" Blackstone 2 weeks ago. Need to have about 3 feet of snow to melt before I can use it. Have a 36" Coleman and was just not a good quality unit in comparison, so taking it to the cottage. The 22" Blackstone at the cottage is going into the camper van, so yeah I have 3 flat tops to cook on

We have a Webber grill as well, but the Flat top got way more use last year

#80 2 years ago

Always go for ground sirloin for smash burgers. Hot and fast, about 3 minutes top. Portable blackstone does a great job. I aim for a Steak’n Shake burger. Ground salt and pepper are the only seasonings. Maybe a little olive oil on the grill before I place the burger on it.

Another tip is to place the spatula on the burger with one hand, and smash it down with the beer bottle that’s in your other hand.

#81 2 years ago

What are the flat tops made out of? Cast iron or metal+non stick coating? I really want one but I have to avoid non-stick pans and such.

#82 2 years ago

Mine is the blackstone 3 burner. I love it. I’ve had it for about a year, year and a half now.

The old grill went straight to the curb. Haven’t found anything I can’t cook better on the griddle. Even chicken wings, which I thought were strictly for flame turned out great. Shrimp are easy.

Friengineer they are cast iron that need to be seasoned, but it’s no big deal.

My only negative on it is that you have to buy the foil drip pans from them. I couldn’t find that same size anywhere else.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

What are the flat tops made out of? Cast iron or metal+non stick coating? I really want one but I have to avoid non-stick pans and such.

The blackstone is made of cold-rolled steel, no non stick or Teflon on them. They will rust quickly if not left with some kind of oil on them. Although the rust is easily removed.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Mine is the blackstone 3 burner. I love it. I’ve had it for about a year, year and a half now.
The old grill went straight to the curb. Haven’t found anything I can’t cook better on the griddle. Even chicken wings, which I thought were strictly for flame turned out great. Shrimp are easy.
My only negative on it is that you have to buy the foil drip pans from them. I couldn’t find that same size anywhere else.

My 4 burner came with a steel drip pan that hooks right on the back.

#85 2 years ago

Mine, too. Just thought I needed the liner. Dunno why.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The blackstone is made of cold-rolled steel, no non stick or Teflon on them. They will rust quickly if not left with some kind of oil on them. Although the rust is easily removed.

Yes, cold rolled steel. You have to season it like a cast iron. however once you do that, it essentially becomes non-stick with the oil that bonds to the surface.

Super easy cleanup.

Related but unrelated, I used to work at Applebee's in my college days and worked the flat top. We also had a gas grill for steaks, chicken, and ribs, which was why I asked. But I guess with a Weber, I could also use that for some smoke/grill flavor as well.

I can't wait for it to warm up. Fajitas, pancakes, egg scrambles, fried rice and other stir frys...

simpsons-dreamy.gifsimpsons-dreamy.gif
#87 2 years ago

Costco has a great stir fry kit now. Comes with chicken but I add some fresh fish also.

5872B0E5-4D9D-425E-B604-35E48CBAE0F7 (resized).jpeg5872B0E5-4D9D-425E-B604-35E48CBAE0F7 (resized).jpeg

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Mine, too. Just thought I needed the liner. Dunno why.

I clean after every use while it’s still warm, you could line with foil if you wanted too as well.

#89 2 years ago

I put a 1/8” metal shim under my drip pan to tilt it towards the unit better because I cooked four pounds of bacon and most of the grease ended up on the cart and my patio. Nothing is level in this neighborhood. Dogs loved it.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I put a 1/8” metal shim under my drip pan to tilt it towards the unit better because I cooked four pounds of bacon and most of the grease ended up on the cart and my patio. Nothing is level in this neighborhood. Dogs loved it.

Can't you just bend the bracket a little bit?

#91 2 years ago

Seemed like the thing to do at the time. Maybe I wanted to raise it up some. I forget.

4 weeks later
#92 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

[quoted image]

I have pretty much the same! Got a Weber Genesis for quick grilling. 1980 classic Weber Kettle for when I want charcoal, also use it for smoking, works great. Just got a 22" two burner table top Blackstone and I love it. Perfect size for me and can easily take camping. I had been doing smash burgers for about 2 years on a giant lodge cast iron pan that I was heating with a camp burner. Worked great but needed more surface area for making multiple burgers at once. Only complaint is the griddle sits too high off the burner. I can't get it up much past 400 degrees tops. When I do smash burgers I was ripping the cast iron pan around 700 and it worked GREAT!. Any suggestions?

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I found foil drop pan 3 packs at Dollar Tree that fit almost perfectly. They are a tad too big which is fine, you kind of jam them in and bend it over the top just a little. Works perfect. Only problem is Dollar Tree is hit or miss. I have 3 near me. One i have never seen these at, ever. The 2nd one it's only sometimes they have them, most of the time they don't. The third store always has them but they only ever have like one pack, MAYBE two. But it beats better than buying them at 10x the price from Black Stone, forget that!

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

I have pretty much the same! Got a Weber Genesis for quick grilling. 1980 classic Weber Kettle for when I want charcoal, also use it for smoking, works great. Just got a 22" two burner table top Blackstone and I love it. Perfect size for me and can easily take camping. I had been doing smash burgers for about 2 years on a giant lodge cast iron pan that I was heating with a camp burner. Worked great but needed more surface area for making multiple burgers at once. Only complaint is the griddle sits too high off the burner. I can't get it up much past 400 degrees tops. When I do smash burgers I was ripping the cast iron pan around 700 and it worked GREAT!. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how hot mine can get. I did it when it was relatively cool outside, in the 50s maybe, and it still got hot enough to sear the smashed side and create a nice crust. If you let it preheat for long enough, I would image you could achieve similar results. I don't think it would get to 700F though.

It's been shitty and cold out for the last several weeks...still snowing here, even though it all melts the next day. Either way, I'm sick of this crap weather, and more sad that I haven't been able to use my griddle more! Still haven't broken it in with a breakfast spread yet...

#95 2 years ago

Im looking for a bigger regulator, mine doesnt seem to flow quite enuf gas. Dont wanna warp the top but i needz mo heat!

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

My 4 burner came with a steel drip pan that hooks right on the back.

And my dog loves it.Got to empty often

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

I found foil drop pan 3 packs at Dollar Tree that fit almost perfectly. They are a tad too big which is fine, you kind of jam them in and bend it over the top just a little. Works perfect. Only problem is Dollar Tree is hit or miss. I have 3 near me. One i have never seen these at, ever. The 2nd one it's only sometimes they have them, most of the time they don't. The third store always has them but they only ever have like one pack, MAYBE two. But it beats better than buying them at 10x the price from Black Stone, forget that!

Couldnt you line the tray w aluminum foil and just toss it out?

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Anyone have both a traditional and a flat top?

I bought the Steelmade kit that goes on the gas grill, but now I'm finding there are times when I want to both grill AND griddle, so going to be getting a stand alone flat top.

Leaning towards the Sams Club one - https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-pro-series-5-burner-gas-griddle/prod26361712?xid=plp_product_1

22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg26 (resized).jpg26 (resized).jpg
#99 2 years ago

I'm thinking of grabbing one of those $100 Steelmade Flat Top inserts for my Weber Genesis gas grill. Anyone that's used one for a while have reviews/thoughts on the quality? Does it fit pretty well on a conventional 3-burner Weber?

#100 2 years ago

I had a small flat insert for my grill...beyond a light saute on the grill, I didn't use it much more than that. If you plan on doing bacon, pancakes, eggs, fried noodles, quesadillas, etc, imo, they are not sturdy enough and will move around. If you're doing grilled sliced veggies for fajitas or similar, then it will work fine.

There are 165 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flat-top-grill-griddle-thread/page/2?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.