(Topic ID: 320906)

Flashing Lights/Knocker Issues :(

By Kingjowjow

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220824_142406 (resized).jpg
    Super_Dude_Light (resized).png
    Knocker (resized).png
    Transistor_Tests (resized).png
    knocker (resized).png
    Lights_Not_Working (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently working on my 1990 Bally Dr. Dude pinball machine, I've made a ton of progress and the only issues I really have left is a few banks of flashing lights that do not light, and my knocker does not work.

Lights - The banks of lights that do not work all seem to be tied to the same transistor (Q54, and I've been told to test Q53 as well). Today I tested Both Transistors and they seem to be reading fine. I'm not sure where to turn next on how to fix these lights.

Knocker - When I got the machine the knocker coil was very melted inside, preventing the metal shaft from moving inside it. I purchased a new coil and tested it and still is not working. I've been told that the transistor that is tied with the knocker is Q23. I tested Q23 today and has a good reading, I'm not too sure where to turn next on why the knocker is not firing.

Any tips or comments much appreciated, not sure where to go next on fixing these issues, thanks for any feedback!

Lights_Not_Working (resized).pngLights_Not_Working (resized).pngTransistor_Tests (resized).pngTransistor_Tests (resized).pngknocker (resized).pngknocker (resized).png
    #2 1 year ago

As for the row of lights not working, disconnect both lamp connectors from the cpu board. Then take a lamp socket with a bulb in it and test the pin 1J-7 pin 8 to any pin on 1J-6 connector while in all lamp test. If the bulb works on each pin of 1J-6 connector then your problem is the wiring harness. If the bulb doesn't work then it's the board.

Now for the knocker, this is a 50 volt coil. This means there is 3rd. transistor in this circuit. This transistor is on the aux driver board, Q-2. This is most likely shorted out causing the knocker to melt.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

As for the row of lights not working, disconnect both lamp connectors from the cpu board. Then take a lamp socket with a bulb in it and test the pin 1J-7 pin 8 to any pin on 1J-6 connector while in all lamp test. If the bulb works on each pin of 1J-6 connector then your problem is the wiring harness. If the bulb doesn't work then it's the board.
    Now for the knocker, this is a 50 volt coil. This means there is 3rd. transistor in this circuit. This transistor is on the aux driver board, Q-2. This is most likely shorted out causing the knocker to melt.

Thanks Grumpy, I'll do all of that and let you know the results!

#4 1 year ago

@GRUMPY, I was able to fix the light issue. I found that the wire inside the Molex on 1J-7 pin #8 was not pressed in correctly, I re-pressed it in it with the black tool that presses in the wires in the connector firmly and 1J-7 pin 8 now has continuity and all of the lights work!

As for the knocker, I double checked that all of the wires coming from the knocker have continuity and it all seems good. Like I said in the previous post, I tested Transistor Q23 that belongs to the knocker and got a good read. You mentioned that transistor Q2 also controls the knocker, when I tested Q2 I got a reading that seemed very high, in the diode setting on the multimeter I got a reading of 2.978 and it continues to rise for a second then reads ".OL". Compared to other transistors this does seem high. Does this mean that transistor is bad and it was the reason the Knocker melted? Also, I'm not sure if it's the issue because the knocker would not fire at all, Since I get a quick high reading when testing Q2 before it goes to "OL" shouldn’t the knocker still fire? Also, one of the fuses on the AUX board where the knocker transistor Q2 is located looks a little odd, but it still tests good. A little confused on this one, not sure if I need to replace Q2 or not and if it will fix the knocker not firing.

Another Issue I've came across is that one of the lights on my Dude Meter does not light, the one on the very top for "Super Dude". I've tested continuity for 1J7 Pin #9 and all seems well. I even took off the small board where the lights go and tested all the diodes on it and all seems okay. All of the other lights light just fine on that board connected to 1J7 pin #9, just not that top one that belongs to "Super Dude". I tested the bulb belonging to the Super Dude Spot and it works fine. I've tried bending the little connectors on the light socket to get a better connection but still nothing, I don’t think adding solder to where the connectors touch will do much either. Any ideas?

Lastly kind of a random question, but a few of my mylar stickers on the lights on the playfield have begun to bubble. Is it safe to take off the mylar sticker and put a new one on to get rid of the bubble?

Thanks for any comments or replies/tips it's all very much appreciated, this machine has a came a long way with all the help here from Pinside <3
    Knocker (resized).pngKnocker (resized).pngSuper_Dude_Light (resized).pngSuper_Dude_Light (resized).png

20220824_142406 (resized).jpg20220824_142406 (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

You mentioned that transistor Q2 also controls the knocker, when I tested Q2 I got a reading that seemed very high

Your picture of Q-2 is for the high voltage for the display. This is the power supply, not the Aux power supply. You need to look at the Q-2 on the Aux power supply. The F-1 fuse looks odd because it's a slow blow very low amperage fuse, I would guess it's a 3/8 amp slow blow. Nothing wrong there.

For your Super Dude bulb not working, you need to look at the red wire not the yellow wire. So follow the red/yellow wire from the connector back to the lamp socket previous to the Super Dude lamp. You may find the red/yellow wire broken at the solder joint of the bulb socket.

As for the mylar, when I owned my Dude I remove the mylay from the play field. It is a pain in the ass to get the glue off but in the end it looks great. I never replace the mylar on my games. Just wax and keep new balls in the game, no problem.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Your picture of Q-2 is for the high voltage for the display. This is the power supply, not the Aux power supply. You need to look at the Q-2 on the Aux power supply. The F-1 fuse looks odd because it's a slow blow very low amperage fuse, I would guess it's a 3/8 amp slow blow. Nothing wrong there.
    For your Super Dude bulb not working, you need to look at the red wire not the yellow wire. So follow the red/yellow wire from the connector back to the lamp socket previous to the Super Dude lamp. You may find the red/yellow wire broken at the solder joint of the bulb socket.
    As for the mylar, when I owned my Dude I remove the mylay from the play field. It is a pain in the ass to get the glue off but in the end it looks great. I never replace the mylar on my games. Just wax and keep new balls in the game, no problem.

Thank you GRUMPY once again for the kind words and tips, I will do all you said and report back!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flashing-lights-knocker-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.