E438000A-998D-4DF9-B85A-115A810A3EA0 (resized).jpeg
F01B9ED9-C930-487D-9ECB-FAEEDEDCFE14 (resized).jpeg
82E4FE1C-C30B-4115-B523-932333B4E120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
IMG_2418 (resized).JPG
IMG_2420 (resized).JPG
IMG_2419 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hey all, I recently purchased a Terminator 2. Having some issues. Here's what's happened, and what I've done.

Problem:
Fuse F111 (20V) blowing
Gun Motor not working
Flashers not working

Things I've done:
Replaced Transistors - Q38 (Left Sling - it was testing bad), Q54 & Diode (Gun Motor), Q28 & Diode (Gun Flashlamps)

Now all works, and Fuse F111 isn't blowing, but I noticed that the gun flashers weren't working. Upon turning the game off, I noticed they were still very dimly lit. I then turned the game back on and noticed they were still dimly lit. Pulled up the playfield and tested voltage. Below is a summary.

Problem:
Gun flashers maintain around 5v DC (dimly lit) if the game is on and they are NOT supposed to be on. They will remain this way when I turn the game off and slowly drain out. I.e., turn the game off and the flashers are still dimly lit and slowly drain.
Other flashers maintain around 2v DC with the game on.

I have no idea where to check next... any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I have no idea where to check next... any help is greatly appreciated.

Can you describe how you have been testing the voltage? There should be 20 volts dc constantly.

#3 5 years ago

I replaced the flashers with LEDs. I can see that they are dimly lit when they are not supposed to be (similar to ghosting). I lifted the playfield and set the DMM to DC. Testing the flashers (at the leads on the flasher sockets) show that they are receiving around 5v, although, they are not supposed to be on at all. Going into test mode, they do not fully light, so I'm assuming they are not receiving the proper voltage. When I turn the game off, they stay dimly lit for several minutes and drain out.

#4 5 years ago

Edit: Double post

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I lifted the playfield and set the DMM to DC. Testing the flashers (at the leads on the flasher sockets)

When testing DC voltage like this you need to place the black lead on a ground, such as the ground braid. Then you check for voltage with the red lead at the bulb socket, which should read 20 volts any time the game is powered and the coin door is closed. Retest this and let me know what you get.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for staying tuned Grumpy. I was able to run the test and have a few pics to help with the description. Here are my findings:

Game is plugged in but OFF:
- Black lead connected to ground in cabinet
- Red lead connected to socket
- Reads 0.34v
- Using continuity test, number keeps going up

Game is turned ON:
- Reads 19.67v

Game is turned OFF:
- Slowly drains from 19.67v to 0
IMG_2418 (resized).JPGIMG_2418 (resized).JPGIMG_2419 (resized).JPGIMG_2419 (resized).JPGIMG_2420 (resized).JPGIMG_2420 (resized).JPGIMG_2421 (resized).JPGIMG_2421 (resized).JPG

#7 5 years ago

Now you are testing correctly. And the voltage is correct, move the red lead to the other lug of the flasher socket and note the reading. Should read exactly as the first reading.

#8 5 years ago

They tested different. Summary below.

Game OFF (tested same):
Black lead grounded in cabinet, Red lead on socket - 1.5v
Black lead on socket, Red lead on socket - 1.5v
It appears that it is holding voltage, it will drain down when the game is turned off. It goes from 20v to 0v.

Game ON (tested differently):
Black lead grounded in cabinet, Red lead on socket - 19.95v
Black lead on socket, Red lead on socket - 5.86v

Any thoughts?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Game ON (tested differently):
Black lead grounded in cabinet, Red lead on socket - 19.95v

Always black lead to ground braid when testing DC volts. Now put the red lead to the yellow wire on the flasher socket.

#10 5 years ago

Gotcha. They tested differently. See below for results.

Game OFF:
Black lead on cabinet ground, Red lead on socket lead 1: 3v
Black lead on cabinet ground, Red lead on socket lead 2: 0v

Game ON:
Black lead on cabinet ground, Red lead on socket lead 1: 20.1v
Black lead on cabinet ground, Red lead on socket lead 2: 14.3v

#11 5 years ago

What color wire is that with the yellow wire.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What color wire is that with the yellow wire.

My question is "Why are there yellow wires connected to a flasher at all?". The red is obviously power to the flasher, and there are two wires because it's daisy chained to the next flasher. The green wire is the return for that flasher. There shouldn't need to be anything else attached to that flasher socket, but it looks like a yellow wire attached to each terminal. Please tell me they're not running to other GI bulbs. Can we compare against another T2?

#13 5 years ago

The yellow wire will be a jumper to another flasher bulb.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The yellow wire will be a jumper to another flasher bulb.

You're probably right. I was thinking single flasher rather than two in parallel, and the yellow threw me.

#15 5 years ago

Grumpy is correct on the yellow wires. They are jumpers to the other gun flasher.

The wires leading to the flasher sockets are Red/White stripe and Teal/Green stripe. See pics below.

82E4FE1C-C30B-4115-B523-932333B4E120 (resized).jpeg82E4FE1C-C30B-4115-B523-932333B4E120 (resized).jpegE438000A-998D-4DF9-B85A-115A810A3EA0 (resized).jpegE438000A-998D-4DF9-B85A-115A810A3EA0 (resized).jpegF01B9ED9-C930-487D-9ECB-FAEEDEDCFE14 (resized).jpegF01B9ED9-C930-487D-9ECB-FAEEDEDCFE14 (resized).jpegF49EBA74-32DC-4512-9C4A-BD71B9644A6E (resized).jpegF49EBA74-32DC-4512-9C4A-BD71B9644A6E (resized).jpeg
#16 5 years ago

You should be able to find this wire (blue/green) on the PDB J-126. Disconnect J-126 and turn on game, then retest for voltage on the blue/green wire at the socket. Your last test showed 14.3 volts, see if it changes.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You should be able to find this wire (blue/green) on the PDB J-126. Disconnect J-126 and turn on game, then retest for voltage on the blue/green wire at the socket. Your last test showed 14.3 volts, see if it changes.

Black lead on backbox ground, Red lead on J-126 Pin 5 (blue/green): 0v

Went into test flasher mode and the DMM responded when it was supposed to flash on/off. Not a full 20v, but the numbers would change from 0, to some low number, to back to 0.

#18 5 years ago

I meant for you to test at the flasher socket, not at the PDB.

#19 5 years ago

J-126 Unplugged, Game ON:
Black lead in cabinet, Red lead on blue/green wire socket lead: 15.3v

J-126 Plugged in, Game ON:
Black lead in cabinet, Red lead on blue/green wire socket lead: 14.3v

#20 5 years ago

Follow the yellow jumper wire that is attached to the red\white wires to the other flasher socket. Does it go to the center lug of the socket or the side lug?

#21 5 years ago

It goes to the opposite lug. The wires are flipped between the 2 sockets.

#22 5 years ago

You need to swap them. For leds the positive power wire needs to be on the center lug.

#23 5 years ago

Jumpers swapped and soldered. Repeated the same test of voltage with/without J-126 plugged in. No change.

#24 5 years ago

With the power off, set dmm to ohms and test the blue/green wire just as before. It should read infinity.

#25 5 years ago

Tested both J-126 plugged and unplugged and power off. Black lead grounded in cabinet, Red lead on blue/green wire lug at socket. Both tested infinite resistance (same as not touching).

#26 5 years ago

That sound good. Why don't you reconnect j-126 and test it in a game.

#27 5 years ago

I decided to test transistor Q28 (Gun Flashlamps) one more time by having the DMM on continuity, the black lead on the backbox ground, and red lead on the transistor tab. It consistently went up in value. I.e., the number kept increasing. I tried the other surrounding transistors the same way, and none of them repeated this. At most, they would flash a value then go to infinite resistance.

Q28 was one of the transistors and diodes that I replaced at the beginning of this thread. So, the one that is testing strange is a new TIP102. I will change it out again, but is there something that I can/need to test up the chain that may be causing the transistor to fail? Or, is the reading mentioned above for that single transistor normal, and I should leave alone?

#28 5 years ago

I don't know what condition your board is in. Look at this thread and see if your board may have the same issue.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-eyelids-up-coil-stuck-on#post-4427494

#29 5 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED!

SOLUTION:
After replacing Q28 (Gun Flashlamps) with a TIP 102, the game tested and worked fine for a few plays. Then, I smelled the scent of electronics burning. I quickly turned the game off and tested Q28 with a DMM. Yep, it had failed again. Just standing there thinking, I figured there had to be a short somewhere as transistors kept blowing, but I had checked all wires and elements that I knew to on the board. Ah, but I didn't check the actual LED bulb itself. And therein lies the problem. I have an issue with always thinking the problem is much bigger than it actually is. I.e., it's the board, theres a hidden short, it's the diode, etc. Nope.

It was the LED flashlamp that was shorted. Touching the side to the bottom, and there was the continuity buzz. So the fix: replaced the LED flashlamp with a different one, and re-replaced Q28 with a new TIP 102. All good.

Thanks for hanging in there with me GRUMPY!

#30 5 years ago

Nice job finding the short!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 27.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flashers-have-constant-voltage-fuse-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.