2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16281942727231808216702630072582 (resized).jpg
received_905468430312200 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I decided to test the flashers in my Demo Man, but after I went through about the first 4 I realised I was blowing every bulb as I was testing them... it's a long time since I did a flasher test, and at first I thought the test fired each flasher just once... but it didn't seem right... so I went backwards and saw the previous flashers no longer worked... either I had a run of bad luck and those flashers were on their way out, or something is wrong!

Is it possible that in flasher test the voltage is being amplified? 2nd option in my mind is that maybe the flashers are staying on too long in the test mode...

Is there a voltage I can measure that might reveal the issue before I change the flashers and blow those also?

Thanks for any help!!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

You should see about 20VDC.
If you see 70VDC, then coil power is connected to your flashers.

Interesting... the truth is that I did re-wire the high voltage power enable switch by the coin door prior to doing this test, and I didn't play a game in-between... I.e. I don't know if the coils are firing with full strength...

Why did I re-wire the hv enable switch... well, the previous owner had done a hack... with the hack the game was playing fine, but the hack did not allow the hv to be disabled with the coin door open, it also did not allow operation of the menu buttons without pulling out a jumper.

Hack condition:
HV enable/disable switch (6 connectors, 2 groups of 3 on each side of switch): extreme 2 lugs on each side had connectors. Middle 2 lugs had nothing connected.
Coin door buttons enable switch: non existent. Enabling coin door buttons was achieved by pulling jumper out of spade connectors.
Coin door switch plate: bent so it never hits the HV enable switch.

Game was playing fine like this, flashers working.

My remedy condition:
HV switch: Moved the inside 2 spade connectors from the middle connector of each group of 3 to the inner-most connector of each group of 3.
Coin door switches enable switch: installed spare switch and connected the 2 spade connectors that had the jumper wire.
Coin door switch plate: put back to correct position so it closes both switches when the door is closed.

After my 'repair' I turned the game on with the coin door closed, it went into normal attract mode, then I opened the door and got the message telling me the coin door is open and the HV us disabled... I then pulled the switch 'out' to enable the HV and went into solenoid test, solenoids were firing, but in retrospect, they did sound a bit weak... didn't think much of it... then, in flasher test, all flashers that were tested blew...

I'm actually not by the game for over a week now, so I can't actually measure the voltage, but from the description above, do you think I messed up the HV enable switch wiring?

If so, how should it be wired?

Thanks a lot for your help!

#6 2 years ago

Thanks a lot, thats great... Will check it when I'm at home on Monday!! Cheers!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Wheaton-glenmont, MD
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flashers-blowing-in-test-mode?tu=pinballslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.