(Topic ID: 38798)

Flasher stays on. Melting plastic dome-FIXED!

By pinhacker71

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Flasher on lotr stays on all the time. How do I troubleshoot this?

#2 11 years ago

Remove the bulb, until you figure out what transistor drives it and replace the transistor that is shorted and keeping the flasher on.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

That's a nice advantage to LEDs - if they lock on, they don't melt stuff.

RM

#4 11 years ago

And replace it with an LED flasher which will run cooler when stuck on.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

That's a nice advantage to LEDs - if they lock on, they don't melt stuff.

Exactly. One of the many benefits to LEDs!

(I think your problem with the melting dome would only look appropriate in the Williams machine, aptly titled 'Fire!').

#6 11 years ago

I was putting a led in. There wasn't a bulb in there when I got it.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

I was putting a led in. There wasn't a bulb in there when I got it.

That's probably why the bulb was removed by the previous owner.

Find and test the associated drive transistor - probably shorted.

RM

#8 11 years ago

I've got a soldering iron and a voltage meter. Now what? This will be my first attempt at this. Will the schematics tell me where to find the resistor? Can I get a replacement at RadioShack or must I order one? I'm ready to jump in. Biggest job I did before was replacing targets.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

I've got a soldering iron and a voltage meter. Now what? This will be my first attempt at this. Will the schematics tell me where to find the resistor? Can I get a replacement at RadioShack or must I order one? I'm ready to jump in. Biggest job I did before was replacing targets.

Slow the heck down.

Learn the difference between resistor and transistor.

Get an old board and practice on.

When you are good at removing and replacing components then remove your board and fix it. Mark all connectors and pictures to get board back in right.

Your manual can tell you which transistor it is.

Ed will have the transistor http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ I doubt Radio Shack will.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

Flasher on lotr stays on all the time. How do I troubleshoot this?

Wow. I'm having the exact same issue on my LOTR right now! Need to figure this out myself.

Which flasher is it? On mine, its the one on the bottom right, near the flipper.

#12 11 years ago

Bottom right is flasher #14 powered by Q14. Need to check that transistor. Turn game off, put MM in diode test and place black lead on tab of transistor and red on each outside leg. If one reads 0.00 it is bad and needs replaced

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wow. I'm having the exact same issue on my LOTR right now! Need to figure this out myself.

Which flasher is it? On mine, its the one on the bottom right, near the flipper.

I ran into that on a LOTR, was the IC upstream from the transistor doing it - if you run into one of those, socket it.

#14 11 years ago

I've had this problem 2 times before. Once on Goldeneye and transistor replacement was the fix. The other was on TZ and for some reason, after I changed the incandescent flasher to LED, the problem went away and never returned (year and a half now). My guess is the lower power draw had something to do with the TZ fix and the transistor is still suspect. You can get the transistor number from the bulb matrix chart in the manual, if my memory serves correctly. Make sure you have good solder (makes a huge difference) a solder sucker and a decent soldering iron. The solder points on the transistor are small so, don't bridge them or lift your traces.

#15 11 years ago

What are you referring to when you say this? I just like to know as my brain is a sponge on this great website. Always trying to learn.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What are you referring to when you say this? I just like to know as my brain is a sponge on this great website. Always trying to learn.

If you have to replace an integrated circuit that is soldered directly to the board, if it's one you may need to do again in the future - for instance a switch matrix one like an LM339. It is best to put a socket onto the board after removing the integrated circuit so you can just plug a new one in.

Integrated circuits have lots of legs, and removing and resoldering all of them increases the risk of damage to the board.

You don't do things for transistors and simple things.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

If you have to replace the IC that is further upstream from that transistor.....Instead of soldering the new IC on the board, solder a socket to the board for that IC. Makes future repairs easier.

#18 11 years ago

Same one lower right next to flipper on lotr.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

Same one lower right next to flipper on lotr.

Interesting, and Lloyd said he had this happen too. Appears to be a somewhat common issue on LOTR then?

#20 11 years ago

Tested transistor and no 000 readings. Should I try to reflow solder. I'm really flying blind here. Places led flasher back in and it stays lit entire time, even while other inserts and gi are cycling. Don't know if that means anything.

#21 11 years ago

I'd replace the transistor first. Then the IC upstream from it next.

#22 11 years ago

Great thread! Learning here by reading. Thanks!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Great thread! Learning here by reading. Thanks!

Me too!

#24 11 years ago

Hi Ron. My brother-in law lives out near fletchers! You and him are perhaps neighbors!

My apology for the O.T. comment. We will take it private pm if there is more to talk about

#25 11 years ago

Now to find a transistor.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd replace the transistor first. Then the IC upstream from it next.

If he's not getting any zero readings why replace the transistor? I mean why bother reading it if you are still going to replace it? Just wondering, as I still have to diagnose my problem as well and I have yet to pick up a multi-meter.

#27 11 years ago

My guess is he is saying that replacing the transistor is easier than the IC, so replace it just in case your test was bad first. I'd probably retest the transistor, then replace the IC, with a socket like suggested earlier.

1 week later
#28 11 years ago

Update. Wish I knew how add that to the thread. Sent email to Ed at Great Plains electronics and he responded quickly and was very helpful. Sent out transistor. I bought the 12.99 desolderer at the shack. Pulled board today and replaced transistor. Flasher now works. Thanks to all who helped me. It's exciting to be successful at my first board work. Now I can play and enjoy all the flasher goodness.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

Update. Wish I knew how add that to the thread. Sent email to Ed at Great Plains electronics and he responded quickly and was very helpful. Sent out transistor. I bought the 12.99 desolderer at the shack. Pulled board today and replaced transistor. Flasher now works. Thanks to all who helped me. It's exciting to be successful at my first board work. Now I can play and enjoy all the flasher goodness.

Great! I lurked in this thread off and on. Glad you were able to get It fixed. I learned a lot as I followed along!

If you want to change the title of this thread, you should click edit on the first post of the thread.

3 weeks later
#30 11 years ago
Quoted from pinhacker71:

Can you confirm which transistor it was on the board?

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Can you confirm which transistor it was on the board?

As an update to this thread, it was the transistor at Q14.

I tried to test it with my multimeter, but there were no 00 readings, just like Pinhacker said. Replaced Q14 anyway. It did the trick and my flasher works great!

As an aside: I swear that replacing this transistor also had a positive impact on the sound quality for some reason. Sounds are crisper and more clear than they were. Very strange.

#32 11 years ago

Drawing power from the sound board, limiting the high tones? No clue.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Drawing power from the sound board, limiting the high tones? No clue.

Yeah, no clue here either, but that makes as much sense as anything that I could think of I guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flasher-stays-on-melting-plastic-dome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.