Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

IJ left side flasher (#37) stays lit solid when any other flasher is on. Does this during gameplay and flasher test. All other flashers work and flash properly.

I've read through several threads, but want to confirm my approach to diagnosing the issue.

It's likely a transistor (per other threads). Based on schematics, I should starts with testing Q16 then possibly Q5.

What readings am I looking for on the multimeter?

Can I remove the flasher bulb for the time being and continue playing without risking further damage?

#2 6 years ago

If you remove everything driven by the bad transistor, that will be safe, yes. Sometimes there are multiple flashers/coils hooked up though. In this case The 'Flashlamp Type' column on the coil chart shows two #89s on the playfield and one #906 on the backglass. You could also just take the whole 8-driver board out and play the game without it safely while you work on it.

Q16 looks correct, yes. When testing transistors, I just compare the diode readings with other transistors on the board. It's all the same circuit repeated, so they should have similar (within ~0.1V) readings. If it's stuck on you're almost certainly going to see a reading near 0V somewhere

#3 6 years ago

Yes probably the drive transistor. Select diode test on the meter and take two measurements. Center leg to out side leg and center leg to other outside leg. Depending on what type of transistor NPN or PNP depends on whether the red or black lead is on the center leg. Try one way then the other. You should get between 0.4V to 0.7V (ideally 0.6V) readings if it's ok. With the leads swapped around you should get an open reading. If the transistor is shorted one reading will be about 0V.

#4 6 years ago

Remove the flasher. They get very hot and will melt inserts, etc. the advice above is sound for testing the transistor; it’s likely shorted to ground.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flasher-on-1st-board-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.