5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Hey all,
I've got a couple Williams Flash projects I picked up (from two different places, but in similar condition.) I already cleaned up corrosion on both, replaced chip sockets, ROMs, and the power and 40-pin connectors. I have not attached batteries or NVRAM yet.
Game 1: Boots, shows "1486 1" on the plyer 1 display, and "04 00" on the credit display.
I was able to get it out of audits by flipping it off and back on momentarily, as I've seen mentioned in other threads. Based on that, where should I start troubleshooting?
Game 2: Has appropriate voltages (roughly) at the MPU - 11.9, 4.8-4.85, and 0 (ground) with no noticeable AC ripple. The two LEDs stay on. Is my 5V too low for the game to boot? If not, where should I start? Suspect the reset circuit, or something else? (All backbox fuses are good.)
Thanks in advance!

game 1 sounds like it is working but the ram is corrupted because of lack of battery / nvram

game 2 could be the reset, but likely something else. If p40 of the CPU is high your reset circuit is probably OK.

1 week later
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Which transistors are unused? I thought the ones not corresponding to solenoids were used for sound.
Speaking of which, the background sound doesn't work on game 1, but all other sounds work. Am I right to suspect the associated driver transistor?

The manual should tell you what solenoids are controlled by what transistor. With that can figure out which ones are unused if you want to borrow transistors. If some solenoids never fire but most work make sure the driver board connectors solder joints are not busted on the left side (where all the solenoid stuff is). Look for a broken bus wire under PF too. Grounding the tab of a non working solenoid to see if it fires is a quick test of the wiring connection circuit is complete. If the solenoid kicks when you ground the tab of the transistor but does not kick in test or game mode means there is probably something wrong on the driver board.

There are settings related to sound so double check those. Missing background sound could be related to a bad driver board solenoid circuit. Double check the connectors including the nine pin one on the left side of sound board.

Have been more than a couple posts about people having trouble with getting background sound in flash. There might be old sound ROM versions out there or maybe some games are wired different. Might want to check the nine pin out of the left connect on working sound board and compare to the game acting up. Also compare sound ROM label. The proper sound ROM i know has background sound should say 'SOUND 1' and board jumpered for a 16K E/ROM (compare jumpers).

Rotating sound boards and driver boards might help isolate too.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/871/Williams_1979_Flash_Manual.pdf
around page 29 for solenoid info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-wms-system-4-two-projects-one-not-booting-one-in-audits?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.