pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1911 (resized).JPG
IMG_1910 (resized).JPG
IMG_1507 (resized).JPG
IMG_1508 (resized).PNG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Working on a non-working FLASH project and have a couple of questions:

1. There is a fuse holder next to the knocker (see photo) that is connected to the sound board. This fuse (holder) is in series with input fuse F2 on the sound board. Why are these two fuses in series? I can't find this fuse on a schematic. Should it be in the circuit, and if so, what is the current rating?

2. Under the playfield, on the scoring switches at the kickers (slingshots), there are electrolytic capacitors and resistors across the switches. Shouldn't these be disc caps and diodes?

IMG_1506 (resized).jpgIMG_1506 (resized).jpgIMG_1507 (resized).JPGIMG_1507 (resized).JPGIMG_1508 (resized).PNGIMG_1508 (resized).PNG
#2 2 years ago

I can't find any info about that fuse but I did find a pic of a flash tilt board and it had a fuse holder on it. I wonder if the sound board designer and tilt board designer weren't talking.

I mostly see electrolytic caps on williams machines. The sling switches aren't part of the switch matrix so they don't need diodes.

#3 2 years ago

Does this help?

IMG_1910 (resized).JPGIMG_1910 (resized).JPGIMG_1911 (resized).JPGIMG_1911 (resized).JPG
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

The sling switches aren't part of the switch matrix so they don't need diodes.

How do the scoring switches work then? Can you send me a picture of the schematic showing these switches and where/how they are connected to the MPU?

No. It shows the same fuse I have. I don't know what rating the fuse should be. Curious too, why it's even in the circuit, because if you trace the fuse wire to the sound board, it connects to the upper fuse on the board. Redundant?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

How do the scoring switches work then

The cap and resistor form an RC circuit to give the special solenoid a solid pulse. The scoring switch is a separate switch parallel to the playfield under the sling pivot arm. The score switch is part of the matrix.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

How do the scoring switches work then? Can you send me a picture of the schematic showing these switches and where/how they are connected to the MPU?

The scoring switch is flat on the bottom of the playfield and is opened when the plunger is all the way back.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The cap and resistor form an RC circuit to give the special solenoid a solid pulse.

Thank you for explaining that.

Quoted from Cheddar:

The scoring switch is flat on the bottom of the playfield and is opened when the plunger is all the way back.

I knew that. My bad. I looked again under that congested area and the RC circuit in on the kicker switch, not the scoring switch. That’s what was so confusing, I thought I saw that on the scoring (matrix) switch. So that’s all good.

#8 2 years ago

Bump my other question: what’s that fuse going to the sound board for, and what should the rating be? Schematic anyone?

#9 2 years ago

I see a separate fuse labeled 7F2 being a 4A SL. BL. that goes from the sound board 10P1 Pin 9 to the power supply 6P3 Pin 9.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

I see a separate fuse labeled 7F2 being a 4A SL. BL. that goes from the sound board 10P1 Pin 9 to the power supply 6P3 Pin 9.

Thank you. And I think I might have a guess as to why that separate fuse holder is there. The earlier sound board did not have a F2. The later ones did. So I'm guessing they started installing the newer sound boards in games with the old mounting panel (that had the separate fuse 7F2). It's redundant. See the two sound board schematics....one without F2, and the newer board with F2. Not sure when they stopped producing machines without 7F2.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 7.43.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-02 at 7.43.21 PM (resized).png
#11 2 years ago

The remote fuse was needed for earlier sound boards that used 1 fuse if the sound board is fitted with 2 fuses the remote is not needed and could be removed/bypassed.

Williams kept using the sound panels with the remote fuse until the supply was depleted.

Williams sound board  (resized).pngWilliams sound board (resized).png
#12 2 years ago

4 amp MDL

IMG_2203 (resized).JPGIMG_2203 (resized).JPG
#13 2 years ago

That label says "BOTH SOUND FUSES" referring to the 2 fuses on the sound board. There isn't any label for that separate fuse you are showing.

After reviewing the schematics shown in my post #10, and confirmed in post #11, the fuse shown is no longer needed in my machine to protect the sound card.

BTW, the fuse in your picture is not MDL and therefore underrated for the circuit! At least that's better than being overrated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-wiring-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.