• 10 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by cpsystem3
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone-

I'm slowly weeding out all of the gremlins in my Flash. In the recent weeks, I've done a LOT of fixes and upgrades to the game, but unfortunately I still can't get it to run stable. Here's a rundown of what I've done and where I'm at:

Upgrades/Repairs-
Rebuilt PSU with all new caps, diodes and 5v/12v pin header & connector (also dropped displays to 91v)

Rebuilt MPU- new rom, ram and cpu sockets. Installed new ram, cpu and freshly programmed green rom set. Replaced 40 way connector. Replaced all pin headers, replaced 5v/12v input connector. Replaced 5v regulator.

Rebuilt Driver- All pin headers replaced. 5v filter cap replaced. 5v and switch matrix connectors replaced. 40 way connector replaced. Lamp matrix upgraded to MOSFET drivers and 0ohm resistors

Sound board- (unrelated to resets but I'll list my fixes). New caps all around. New buffer IC's installed (previously played incorrect sound effects).

Current Problem Description / The game's current state-
The game will boot up perfectly 100% of the time. I am able to leave it in attract mode without crashes or resets. I am able to run all diagnostic tests with no crashes or resets. All sollenoids and switches fire properly from diagnostics. All lamps flash correctly both in attract and diagnostics mode. When I start a game, I can usually get through ball #1 just fine, sometimes not. Just about every single time, the game crashes on or around when I get to ball #2. When it crashes, it appears to be in two parts. First, the lamp matrix will start flashing every lamp on/off (just like diagnostics test), then after a while the lamps will all turn off and displays will go blank. When this happens, flippers slingshots and jet bumpers are still energized. I need to physically turn the machine off then back on to get it "running" again. It should also be noted that Leon's test rom passes all tests when bench booted with an auxillary PSU. Also, up until last night, there was (accidently) 35v DC running into Column #3 of the switch matrix. Is is possible it caused damage to my switch PIA where it still functions (until its under game-load and breaks down)?

Does anybody have any ideas on where to start poking around? It seems as though the game crashes when "under load" (during a game). I haven't isolated it to a specific sollenoid, switch or combination there of. It seems to crash at random.

Gut tells me to- check all coil diodes for shorts and suspect the switch matrix PIA. Would love to hear some other suggestions...

Thanks for any help guys

#2 11 years ago

Try Andre's test ROM - good test to see if all the PIAs are working - something you have to manually do with Leon's test ROM:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/andre-test-rom-v2-in-action

Even if you don't build the LED array it will still tell you whether or not you get to blanking and flash for one of the PIAs being bad.

viperrwk

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the tip Bob, maybe that will get me in the right direction!

I ran all of Leon's test-rom tests, and they all passed. I also ran all of the Williams Diagnostics, and they passed. I have however not tried Andre's test rom... i recall reading that its able to (sometimes) detect faults Leon's can not? Looks like I'll be trying that next, thanks!

#4 11 years ago

Bump, help please

#5 11 years ago

What did Andre's test ROM do? Also, do you lose blanking when it locks up - pin 37 on the interconnect goes to 0v?

Have you checked continuity on all the address and data lines and across the ROM sockets? Take off the backglass run a fan on the backbox and see if it's heat related.

viperrwk

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

What did Andre's test ROM do? Also, do you lose blanking when it locks up - pin 37 on the interconnect goes to 0v?
Have you checked continuity on all the address and data lines and across the ROM sockets? Take off the backglass run a fan on the backbox and see if it's heat related.
viperrwk

Didn't get around to trying Andre's test rom quite yet. I will observe pin 37 and report back.

Yes, I checked continuity for all the address and data lines, and they check out. I'll try the back-box fan and see if that helps.

Also worth noting, the MPU sometimes gets hot to the touch after a lockup.

Thanks!

PS- The thread on RGP with this same issue is mine, I noticed you posted there as well

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from cpsystem3:

Didn't get around to trying Andre's test rom quite yet. I will observe pin 37 and report back.
Yes, I checked continuity for all the address and data lines, and they check out. I'll try the back-box fan and see if that helps.
Also worth noting, the MPU sometimes gets hot to the touch after a lockup.
Thanks!
PS- The thread on RGP with this same issue is mine, I noticed you posted there as well

Also check to make sure you do NOT have continuity across a ROM socket ie Pin 1-24, 2-23, etc. or continuity with adjoining pins ie pin 1-2, 2-3 etc. except where appropriate. When I did the sockets on my Sys4 board I screwed up one connection where pins 11 & 14 were shorted together on U17. The board never booted properly but I was getting activity on all the address and data lines so at first blush I couldn't understand what the problem was. Checking continuity from the decoders to each pin was ok. It was only when I checked across the socket that I found my problem. The traces under the sockets are really tiny and fragile. It's real easy to screw up one of those connectors.

viperrwk

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Also check to make sure you do NOT have continuity across a ROM socket ie Pin 1-24, 2-23, etc. or continuity with adjoining pins ie pin 1-2, 2-3 etc. except where appropriate. When I did the sockets on my Sys4 board I screwed up one connection where pins 11 & 14 were shorted together on U17. The board never booted properly but I was getting activity on all the address and data lines so at first blush I couldn't understand what the problem was. Checking continuity from the decoders to each pin was ok. It was only when I checked across the socket that I found my problem. The traces under the sockets are really tiny and fragile. It's real easy to screw up one of those connectors.
viperrwk

I checked for shorts on the sockets already (ie pin 3 to 4, 4 to 5 etc). I will check again

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from cpsystem3:

I checked for shorts on the sockets already (ie pin 3 to 4, 4 to 5 etc). I will check again

Right - but also check across the socket as well. I would press down with the meter probes when doing so to stress the mechanical connection.

viperrwk

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Right - but also check across the socket as well. I would press down with the meter probes when doing so to stress the mechanical connection.
viperrwk

Ahh good call, I was just checking the integrety of the traces with no chip inserted. I guess its possible the force of a chip could cause a flaky connection to let go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-system-6-reset-freezing-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.