• Latest reply 5 years ago by Occelot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3851 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys, having some trouble with my Flash project. It has been blowing F2 ( which measures 36.52vdc+ instead of 28v) (don't know if that matters). What's weird is it let me play for a couple games but not always_, and further more, in the middle of play (even after testing all switches and solenoids) it just starting going crazy. (Come to think of it, I haven't tested the replay knocker for shorts). After it goes amuck, I power it down and turn it on, and it still goes amuck. I cannot always start a game even after it sits for hours, most of the time it just starts flickering the display w/or without noise on power up.

Pretty vague I know, but usually that's how these things go.

What I know:
-On power up, it starts a game and all solenoids are active (unless powered by the blown F2) (i.e trough)
-1J2-9 reads 12v+, not 5v+ as stated in a driver board print out I got from ipdb - though it does say 12v+ in the schematic, so I'm confused on that.
-F2 reads 36.52v+ instead of 28v+
-All 5v+ pins read 5v+ except one above
-All 18v+ pin's read 18v+
-All 12V+ points read 12V+
-Under the hood there doesn't appear to be any broken or touching wires. There was a broken diode across the slam tilt, but I repaired that (prior to that repair, you could hear the tilt noise on start up..).

The board did suffer some damage from battery leakage, but it looks like it was repaired.

The video of startup:

IMG_3851 (resized).JPGIMG_3851 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Gotta start by replacing that 40 pin connector both male and female sides. Check the boards for cold solder joints at all other header pins while they are out. If that doesn't fix most of your issues we can start to look deeper.

#3 5 years ago

Any upgrades that can be made in place of that 40pin connector? It's just connecting the two boards together, correct? No ribbon cable option? Just want to make it hardened for future use. Any parts you recommend?

Thanks,

Grant

#4 5 years ago

Xenon is on target.

Short of replacing the boards with new combo boards the 40 pin is a trouble spot and you will be chasing ghosts.

I would separate the 2 boards and reconnect and see if anything changes. Most of the time you can look at the female side and see they have lost tension. If it does change symptoms that will just show you have a problem. Even if everything starts working correctly it's not fixed, just delayed until it starts acting up again.

#5 5 years ago

K I will remove the bottom board this evening and reconnect. I purchased a replacement IC kit for the whole system 4 board suite. Will install even if this evenings adjust temporarily solves it.

Will update soon!

Grant

#6 5 years ago

Well it looks like it may have been that 40 pin IC. I pulled the boards and checked for cold solder joints throughout, none to be found. Reinstalled and haven't had issue.

Now to tackle remaining issues:

1: "machine gun slingshots".. Thinking this might just be the switches rebounding too far and firing solenoid multiple times.
2: "weak" drop target reset solenoids. HOPING this might just be bad coil sleeves. I will give them a cleaning and see.
3: "weak" right slingshot. Think it might be because it's using a 23-800 instead of the 23-900 that the left sling is using.

#7 5 years ago

Even though there were not any cold solder joints, I would still install a new 40 pin connector on both sides. It might be gone for now, but it will return.

Sounds like you are on your way to a fully functional game. Have fun!

#8 5 years ago

That’s my plan already on its way.

Any ideas why my right sling shot may be weak? They both measure 23v.. the left is an 23-900 and the right a 23-800. To my understanding the 23-800 should be stronger.. I just replaced the sleeve.. no luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Tools
Pincoder Store

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-strange-sounds-amp-blown-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.