Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Both my Flash, and my Firepower have strange startup issues. Both of them seem like they work fine after a "warmup" period though, in which they'll act quite strangely.

The Flash, will for the first 10 minutes display both LEDs, Sometimes no leds, yesterday the knocker kicked over and over until I pressed the system test button. Always though, after it sits for a while, and you turn it off and back on, it starts up fine.

The Firepower, same thing. Turn it on, gi lights nothign else. After a while, the game will Pop to life, (literally since it fires all the solenoids at once) and then burns that little 2.5amp fuse. as it makes this loud pop, and horrible sound like it's counting bonus or something, and the lights are on what seems like extra bright. If you are sitting there watching it, and you turn it off as SOON as you hear the firs solenoid start to move, you can avoid frying that fuse - since I've gone through about 10 of them, and am looking at where to buy them in bulk, I'd rather just fix the problem.

The last tech who I had work on this for me hinted to me that on the Firepower, the Power Supply board is likely to be the problem since he didn't go over that board. Grumble.

I appreciate any guidance!!

-Brian

#2 7 years ago

Hmm

I just went threw this on a firepower and a,flash... I ended up buying a rottendog board for firepower and wham

Came to life.. I only had gi as well.

Flash I ended up scoring a few rehabbed boards .. ended up being the 40 pin was shot.. I relocated the batteries and all is well on both ..

#3 7 years ago

Check the 40 pin connects .. reseat them.. and I keep my pin room at about 60 degrees.. weather will mess with them I learned..

#4 7 years ago

Your in Florida I c.
Prob not to cold.. lol

#5 7 years ago

Check your battery voltage to..

#6 7 years ago

Well, they both work if I let them come to life, so no rottendog yet! I'm going to learn to fix these boards if it kills me! And it might!

Already did the interconnect- one side had been done- but I suppose it can't hurt to go look at that again.

I wonder if during that boot up period if the voltages are reading right. At least that would give me a direction to work in.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

The Firepower, same thing. Turn it on, gi lights nothign else. After a while, the game will Pop to life, (literally since it fires all the solenoids at once) and then burns that little 2.5amp fuse.

I had the same problem on my BK for a long time, but it was intermittent and manifested a bit differently. In my case, *sometimes* when i turned the game on, I'd notice a coil fire immediately then it wouldn't start a game and I'd find the 2.5 amp coil fuse blown. I'd replace the fuse and sometimes it would work fine. Might even work for weeks without incident and then one day...pop goes the fuse, and I'm back to square one. I finally summoned the determination to track down the issue and it turned out to be a few components on the mpu for the blanking signal. There was a little 555 chip, and a couple other components (cap and resistor, possibly a transistor)... After changing those parts, i haven't had a problem since! Maybe your game has a similar issue with the blanking signal?

#8 7 years ago

Biggest problem is cold solder joints on pins and the 40 pin interconnect having weak sockets, after fixing that you will have alot less problems.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Biggest problem is cold solder joints on pins and the 40 pin interconnect having weak sockets, after fixing that you will have alot less problems.

Yup.. they can be a pain.. I c you profile pic is tomcat .. I'm picking one up tonight ..

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Well, they both work if I let them come to life, so no rottendog yet! I'm going to learn to fix these boards if it kills me! And it might!
Already did the interconnect- one side had been done- but I suppose it can't hurt to go look at that again.
I wonder if during that boot up period if the voltages are reading right. At least that would give me a direction to work in.

Haha.. I hear ya.. good luck and look at that pesky 40 pin ..

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Yup.. they can be a pain.. I c you profile pic is tomcat .. I'm picking one up tonight ..

Was my first pin purchase that started this addiction, waiting for my new repro playfield thats in the mail now, pretty fun game when waxed and working proper (fast as hell)

#12 7 years ago

Lush, which playfield are you getting? Firepower? I want one! Hell someone else's old one would be a far cry better than the one I have.

Regarding the 40 pin- YES!! - It was the first thing I tackled. However I only did one side as it looked like they had done the other one recently. And I was curious about what happens if you only do 1/2 of a connection- is there danger of cross-contamination?

-Brian

#13 7 years ago

Sorry playfield is for f-14, but you can find repro firepower playfields for sale now and then.

#14 7 years ago

One small fracture in the connection and your doooomed.. I tried the same with no luck.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Sorry playfield is for f-14, but you can find repro firepower playfields for sale now and then.

Say what... Put me on the list. Search back 2 or 3 years here and you can find a few change hands. SOMEONE needs to do another run!!!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Say what... Put me on the list. Search back 2 or 3 years here and you can find a few change hands. SOMEONE needs to do another run!!!

Yea every now and then you see one, not often, but more often than f-14.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Regarding the 40 pin- YES!! - It was the first thing I tackled. However I only did one side as it looked like they had done the other one recently. And I was curious about what happens if you only do 1/2 of a connection- is there danger of cross-contamination?
-Brian

Which 1/2 did you replace, the pins or the sockets? I would suggest replacing both sides.

Carefully lift all socketed chips 1/16" and push them back down to see if that changes anything. If any of the sockets are Scanbe brand, you need to replace them as they are problematic.

Reflow the solder, or better yet replace all the header pins on all boards.

Make sure you have all the mounting screws in all the boards installed and snugged down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-startup-issues-firepower-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.