Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
IMG_2520 (resized).JPG
0713172159 (resized).jpg
0713172149 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have a 79 flash . It has sound but no background build d up sound as it should ..I do have no 33 set to 01 as it should.. all other sound works but I cannot get that build up sound at all ?
Any idea ?
Thank you..

#2 7 years ago

What revision ROMs do you have? The two different variants had rearranged setting IDs. We get these questions a lot for Flash due to this.

#3 7 years ago

Hhhmmmm
No idea.. wich roms do I check in the soundboard ?

#4 7 years ago

Meaning it may not be setting 33 set to 01 on the roms I have?

#5 7 years ago

Not in the soundboard, the sounds aren't different - just the settings. Meaning: Setting 33 could be setting XX on the other ROM version and there is no issue, you simply just changed the wrong setting. (and changed something else, probably insignificant dealing with coin play or something)

They are on the MPU board. If they're original, there's green and yellow versions with matching-color stickers/labels on them. If not original, read the tags. If no tags, well, I guess we'll have to find the other value for the other set and you can give that a go!

#6 7 years ago

Try adjusting setting 31 to 01.

Also, to change the old one back: Setting 33 on the alternate revision is "SUPER FLASH Restore".

00: Restores
01: Does Not Restore

(Whatever this means to you. The default is the 00 setting, also sounds like the best)

#7 7 years ago

Ok will do .. IL have a look and give it a shot tommorow.. thank you ...

#8 7 years ago

No problem! Enjoy! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... (I love it too!)

#9 7 years ago

Exactly.. IL put my results up.. hope it works out.. it needs the buuuzzzzzz

#10 7 years ago

IL snap some pics as well...

#11 7 years ago

Dude that was it.. changed 31 to 01 and whala.. you rule dude.. thank you..
Do you have a list I can print of these different Rom settings since I assume they are all not correct in my manual now.. thand so much..

#13 7 years ago

Thanx so much dude. Huge help...

2 months later
#14 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone on this post! Ran into the same and this just fixed my issue. Stashing the manual amendment away or future reference.

#15 7 years ago

For future readers Flash had two different rom versions - I guess because the production run was so long.

To work out which you've got open the coin door, switch to auto/up position and press advance.

P1 display now shows the rom version

0486 1 or 0486 2 is yellow roms, system 4
1486 1 is green roms, system 6

the game rom must match the flipper rom

Background sound is setting 33 with yellow roms, 31 with green roms. In both cases 0 = off (default) and 1 = on.
Other settings changed between rom versions but it's sound that seems to get noticed, particularly because it defaults to off.

It's odd to me that since background sound was the big new feature, first seen on Flash, that the default was off.

4 months later
#16 6 years ago

i had the same issue but did not get lucky. have 486-2 when I fired it up and thats it aside from the gi. if i power down and back up it seems to work but all memory gets erased. batteries are new. holder is new. i changed #31 to 01 but i think i have to power it down to save the settings? not 100% sure on that. seems to add credit and do whacky stuff with ball in play too i have an kohout mpu here but its outfitted for black knight. have a message into them about that. i havent dug into the boards but it looks like the 40 pin connectors have been replaced. two upper rollovers arent working and the drops are terrible. just cleaned the middle bank and it at least works now but its still sluggy. i have all new wpc flipper assys on hand for when I get to that point but first things first. also have some major cupping on the larger round inserts. I will need to replace those. fun fun!

0713172149 (resized).jpg0713172149 (resized).jpg
0713172159 (resized).jpg0713172159 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

I will always blame the 40 pin and connectors on flash and other same era games...

2 months later
#18 6 years ago

So I have the same problem but my setting is 33-1 and I still have no background sound and my pop bumpers don't add points , I have sounds from hitting targets just. No build up constant background sound even when I enable it

IMG_2520 (resized).JPGIMG_2520 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

It depends on which ROM version do you have. If "yellow labeled" (usually sys4) the background sound option is #33; if "green label" (sys6), the function is #31.

#20 6 years ago

I have the yellow rom i enable 33- to 1 but I still don't get the background sound that builds up and my pop bumpers won't add points they did then they stoped

#21 6 years ago

But mine says this

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 year later
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

For future readers Flash had two different rom versions - I guess because the production run was so long.

To work out which you've got open the coin door, switch to auto/up position and press advance.

P1 display now shows the rom version

0486 1 or 0486 2 is yellow roms, system 4
1486 1 is green roms, system 6

the game rom must match the flipper rom

Background sound is setting 33 with yellow roms, 31 with green roms. In both cases 0 = off (default) and 1 = on.
Other settings changed between rom versions but it's sound that seems to get noticed, particularly because it defaults to off.

It's odd to me that since background sound was the big new feature, first seen on Flash, that the default was off.

Thank you for this.. I found another thread talking about turning on setting 33, nothing in the manual of course about setting 31 if you have a different rom. Why was this even an option back then?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.