20220423_221659 copy (resized).jpg
20220325_174607_resized (resized).jpg
20220323_203243_resized (resized).jpg
20220323_200758_resized (resized).jpg
20240116_185350_resized (resized).jpg
20240116_185412_resized (resized).jpg
20200606_222908_resized (resized).jpg
20200606_171150_resized (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#241 7 years ago

Hello,

See my Whirlwind thread on pinside for details on my alphanumeric controller. This was the first alphanumeric rewrite game. I had a stock of the boards but they are sold out currently as interest wained on them. The controller board recreates the missing logic needed for the proc to drive the displays on system 11 and before. This is basically the logic williams added to the display board when changing from system 11 to wpc. They only used it in 2 games though (funhouse and bop) before ditching and going to dmd.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-software-rewrite-the-journey

I also believe it will drive williams flavour segment displays back to system 6 with some cable tweaks. There is also an updated scoredisplay class that myself and scott worked on to improve the system 11 display interface and help take care of some of the mundane display controlling aspects.

For Bally segment displays and what's in use on scotts total annihilation project, this is the display controller part of my custom pinball controller boardset. See the top arduino nano in this pic

cpc-v11-ingame1 (resized).jpgcpc-v11-ingame1 (resized).jpg

I think scott made his own breakout board for it as wasn't using the cabinet wiring. Cant 100% remember on that, but there are stock breakout boards i can supply to interface from the arduino nano part and the cabinet wiring if you only want to use the display part of my controller.

io-shield-arduino-nano-2 (resized).jpgio-shield-arduino-nano-2 (resized).jpg

I would make a dedicated display specific breakout for this myself for true plug and play on custom projects, but again the interest isn't there currently to make it worth my while. Maybe this will change. My efforts for early Bally game love go on my full board set

Jim
mypinballs.co.uk

7 months later
#293 6 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

With the majority of the programming done, I took a little break to regroup and plan the next steps. Here's what lies ahead for this project:
1. Getting the score displays to work. P-ROC and Mission Pinball are really designed with DMD displays in mind, but this is a throwback game and I really want to use the original Bally segment displays. I've been in contact with MyPinballs.com who sell a small adapter board. We're working out how to get it to work.

Yep were working on getting things powered and wired up at the mo. The central system and code used is the same that controls displays on my controller boards and on scotts total annihilation prototype. Though a partially populated controller board could have been used here, the adapter board fits better here i think, is smaller and gives more flexibility for connection.

Once power up and connected to the original wiring the displays should spring to life and display the test boot up pattern of all zeros. Then we'll tackle the communication from the game code.

3 weeks later
#310 6 years ago

Great to see the displays light up correctly with the boot up pattern finally!

Lots of back and forth with info to get here.

For others interested in how the low voltage led displays get power the info is here:

+5V is pin 20 on each display. The wire colour is Green/White (45). It is fed from power driver board connector J3 - pin 17
GND is pin 13 on each display. The wire colour is brown (60). It is fed from the power driver board connector J3 - pin 20

The high voltage power for the original displays is pin 1 and is +190v. This is also fed from the power driver board J3 connector - pin 8 and is the wire colour is red.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-retheme-project?tu=applejuice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.