20220423_221659 copy (resized).jpg
20220325_174607_resized (resized).jpg
20220323_203243_resized (resized).jpg
20220323_200758_resized (resized).jpg
20240116_185350_resized (resized).jpg
20240116_185412_resized (resized).jpg
20200606_222908_resized (resized).jpg
20200606_171150_resized (resized).jpg
There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Here's a gameplay video:

Awesome!!! So pumped this will be at Pincinnati for all to see!

#352 5 years ago

Congrats!
Looks fantastic

#353 5 years ago

Great job! I’ve been a huge Queen fan since I was a kid and a Queen pinball machine would be a must buy if one ever went into production. It’s so cool you converted one over yourself!

#354 5 years ago

Wow. That is quite an achievement. Congrats!

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Here's a gameplay video:

what progress from the last update. love the new sound effects and insert light shows. when does the conversion kit come out?

#356 5 years ago

Woo hoo! We are now Pinside Official!

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.47.04 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.47.04 AM (resized).png

#357 5 years ago

Pinsiders are Fing talented. Well done!!

3 months later
#358 5 years ago

Three months after finishing the project, the weekend I've been anticipating/dreading has finally come: Pincinnati - Queen's first and only public appearance! The machine has never been disassembled or even moved from the room where it was born, so I carefully unplugged all the circuitry, wrapped the head and body in cellophane and brought it down to the convention hall, along with my Flying Carpet.

20181129_125143_resized (resized).jpg20181129_125143_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125152_resized (resized).jpg20181129_125152_resized (resized).jpg

Once set up in the hall, I re-attached everything and held my breath...

20181129_135224_resized (resized).jpg20181129_135224_resized (resized).jpg

...and it came to life! What a relief! I just had to wiggle a few loose wires into place but everything worked perfectly.

20181130_184950_resized (resized).jpg20181130_184950_resized (resized).jpg

Overall, there were just two issues: first, the speakers I've been using were nice and loud in my house, but in a room with 200 other games, they were completely drowned out. Making things worse, the gameplay relies on audio cues, so people weren't understanding what was going on. On day 2, I bought some patch cables and hooked up a set of headphones, but no one wanted to wear the headphones. On day 3 I got smart and brought my guitar amp to blast the soundtrack. That was the day where people finally understood what was going on.

Problem 2 is that the ATX devices and the Asus Tinkerboard processor aren't meant for extended use in an arcade setting. After a few hours the coils got weak, the lights started to fade and things generally ran slower. It was unfortunate, but I had to shut the machine down for a while each day to let it cool down.

Another issue that came up - on day 2 the CPU failed to boot. Luckily I had a backup microSD card handy and was able to get it going, but on one of the cool-down periods I rushed home and made a couple more backups, just in case.

Once the event was done, I packed the game back up and hauled it home, this time to my living room. I was able to get it working that night.

20181202_180320_resized (resized).jpg20181202_180320_resized (resized).jpg

And so ends the adventure. Much like John Deacon, the Queen pinball machine now is retired from public life and will spend its remaining days in a quiet home in the country, performing only for family and close friends and resting comfortable on the laurels of its legend.

20181202_195841_resized (resized).jpg20181202_195841_resized (resized).jpg

#359 5 years ago

At the Pincinnati show, the reception was mostly positive by far. Once the game was set up, a small crowd of pin donors gathered to see how it works and try it out. The news media showed up and I had a brief interview with a local radio station. Most of the compliments were about the artwork.

I'll admit that the game has an unusual start sequence - after pressing the start button, you have to select a game mode with the right flipper and then lock it in with the left flipper. Only then does a ball kick out. Instructions are printed on the apron, but I also put up a giant poster next to the game explaining all this. I then had to put a card on the glass with a note, basically saying PLEASE READ THE POSTER, DUM-DUM. Even then, very few people took the time, so I had to hover around the game like a helicopter parent helping people start a game. After a while, I stopped explaining that they had to "select a game mode" and started telling them to "choose a song." That seemed to work much better. Since I was always near the game, it was interesting to note peoples' reactions. Here's an approximate breakdown:

30%: took photos of the machine but didn't play it.

50%: walked up to the game, ignored the THREE DIFFERENT SIGNS I put up explaining how to play, started multi-player games and walked away before any of them were done. I couldn't be there the whole time and sometimes they got to the game before I could intervene, so this was inevitable.

20%: Actually took time to figure out the gameplay and try out different song modes.

A few highlights: The only person to get to Bohemian Rhapsody wizard mode was a woman from North Carolina. An excellent player who seemed delighted by the game. Also, there was the young guy bellowing out "Somebody to Love" along with Freddy on the headphones as he played. So gratifying to see someone enjoy my work so much.

On the flip side, it's not a pinball convention without people griping and whining about stupid minutia. A small number of people ignored the massive achievement that someone with zero background or experience in electronics or coding could create a new, original pinball machine. I have to admit that as gratifying as it was to get so many compliments on my work, the few people with complaints really stuck in my craw. They looked this miracle - this thing that SHOULD NOT EXIST - right in they eye and complained about all sorts of petty things. Here's what they said:

"I can't hear it."

Answer: It wasn't designed to be in a room filled with hundreds of other loud games. I'm working on it (see previous post).

"It's not bright enough."

Answer: #44-base LED bulbs are designed for 6.5v power, but there's no commercially-available 6.5v ATX. In order to simplify things, I ran all the lights off the 5v power, so they're going to be slightly dimmer. Also, using colored bulbs brings down the brightness but I think it's worth it for the effect.

"It's a low-scoring game."

Answer #1: I used a 1979 Bally cabinet, which only accommodates 6-digit score displays. Also, I really wanted to stay within the late '70's/early 80's aesthetic and make it feel like an older game, from when Queen was in its heyday.

Answer #2: Maybe you're just not a very good player.

"Can you turn the volume down? Your sounds are really annoying."

Note: This is from a guy who repeatedly turned my external amp OFF on day 3 while my back was turned.

Answer #1: The sound design is integral to the gameplay. Callouts and music cues are as essential as the scoring and light displays and, after a weekend of experimentation people can finally appreciate the game in its full form. It has to be loud just to compete with the other games in the room. Today is literally the last time this game will ever be available for public exhibition so I want people to get the complete experience while they can.

Answer #2: Go fu#k yourself.

In the end, Queen was designed for an audience of one - I made it for myself to play in my own home and it doesn't have to answer to anyone else. I'm proud of it and I'm happy that the reception was positive overall.

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

In the end, Queen was designed for an audience of one - I made it for myself to play in my own home and it doesn't have to answer to anyone else. I'm proud of it and I'm happy that the reception was positive overall.

You did an amazing job, anyone who dislikes it should see answer #2 as stated!!!

Quoted from TopMoose:

#361 5 years ago

Ha, I was thinking you should move answer 2 to the number 1 spot and only have one answer.

Looks great. Wish I had been there.

What's the next one?

#362 5 years ago

Thanks again for bringing your game Doug! It was nice chatting with you as well.

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks again for bringing your game Doug! It was nice chatting with you as well.

Any time you want to come over and play, just give me a call!

#364 5 years ago

Great job in making this game!

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Any time you want to come over and play, just give me a call!

I meant to catch you before the end of the show, but Linsey and I really did enjoy playing your game. Thanks so much for bringing it out, we would love to have another go at it when we aren't sick and or exhausted.

She is still totally with you on signage, people just don't read. Don't let them get you down, you made a really cool pin and you rock for sharing it.

#366 5 years ago

Read everyone of your posts. What dedication!

One thing I didn't seem to see is...how many (thousands of) hours to do think you have in this project?

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

At the Pincinnati show, the reception was mostly positive by far. Once the game was set up, a small crowd of pin donors gathered to see how it works and try it out. The news media showed up and I had a brief interview with a local radio station. Most of the compliments were about the artwork.
I'll admit that the game has an unusual start sequence - after pressing the start button, you have to select a game mode with the right flipper and then lock it in with the left flipper. Only then does a ball kick out. Instructions are printed on the apron, but I also put up a giant poster next to the game explaining all this. I then had to put a card on the glass with a note, basically saying PLEASE READ THE POSTER, DUM-DUM. Even then, very few people took the time, so I had to hover around the game like a helicopter parent helping people start a game. After a while, I stopped explaining that they had to "select a game mode" and started telling them to "choose a song." That seemed to work much better. Since I was always near the game, it was interesting to note peoples' reactions. Here's an approximate breakdown:
30%: took photos of the machine but didn't play it.
50%: walked up to the game, ignored the THREE DIFFERENT SIGNS I put up explaining how to play, started multi-player games and walked away before any of them were done. I couldn't be there the whole time and sometimes they got to the game before I could intervene, so this was inevitable.
20%: Actually took time to figure out the gameplay and try out different song modes.
A few highlights: The only person to get to Bohemian Rhapsody wizard mode was a woman from North Carolina. An excellent player who seemed delighted by the game. Also, there was the young guy bellowing out "Somebody to Love" along with Freddy on the headphones as he played. So gratifying to see someone enjoy my work so much.
On the flip side, it's not a pinball convention without people griping and whining about stupid minutia. A small number of people ignored the massive achievement that someone with zero background or experience in electronics or coding could create a new, original pinball machine. I have to admit that as gratifying as it was to get so many compliments on my work, the few people with complaints really stuck in my craw. They looked this miracle - this thing that SHOULD NOT EXIST - right in they eye and complained about all sorts of petty things. Here's what they said:
"I can't hear it."
Answer: It wasn't designed to be in a room filled with hundreds of other loud games. I'm working on it (see previous post).
"It's not bright enough."
Answer: #44-base LED bulbs are designed for 6.5v power, but there's no commercially-available 6.5v ATX. In order to simplify things, I ran all the lights off the 5v power, so they're going to be slightly dimmer. Also, using colored bulbs brings down the brightness but I think it's worth it for the effect.
"It's a low-scoring game."
Answer #1: I used a 1979 Bally cabinet, which only accommodates 6-digit score displays. Also, I really wanted to stay within the late '70's/early 80's aesthetic and make it feel like an older game, from when Queen was in its heyday.
Answer #2: Maybe you're just not a very good player.
"Can you turn the volume down? Your sounds are really annoying."
Note: This is from a guy who repeatedly turned my external amp OFF on day 3 while my back was turned.
Answer #1: The sound design is integral to the gameplay. Callouts and music cues are as essential as the scoring and light displays and, after a weekend of experimentation people can finally appreciate the game in its full form. It has to be loud just to compete with the other games in the room. Today is literally the last time this game will ever be available for public exhibition so I want people to get the complete experience while they can.

It was really sweet getting to talk and hangout with you for a while on day 2 my boyfriend and I couldn't stop talking about how awesome the game was, thanks for sharing

#368 5 years ago

Thanks for bringing this to the show I enjoyed checking it out and playing it good work!

#369 5 years ago

I've been following your project and I'm very much impressed with the final project. I love Queen and this is a dream pin! Great job.

1 week later
#370 5 years ago

Just discovered this thread. I think Freddie would say 'It's fucking brilliant, darling.' Thanks for sharing the project in such great detail!

#371 5 years ago

#answer 2.
I am 6 homebrews in now and have in turn taken them to shows for the general public to play.
It seems like a natural progression to build and show your work to a largesse audience...sadly this isn't always the most gracious audience.
Punters walking up to a game without the skill set to even start a game then offering their critique.Comments I've heard? Some even involving the relocation of entire mechs.
#answer2
Don't take anything you hear at a show for or against to heart.Better to get your pin to a friendly barcade or such where it can be on coin/freeplay for' Pinball players ' to have a go at.This is a far better use of the time you spent building in modes and wizard modes(To be fair to Pinball shows people generally only get one go at your machine because there is someone waiting in line).
I'm in Australia and chances are I'll never play your game that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work and creativity that has gone into this pin so...Don't lock it away though get it out there, get it to an arcade where players can play it over and over, get some real enjoyment and understanding of the rules and where the feedback is far more constructive.
Thanks for sharing your build along the way...for now I have a Flash at home I'll just put Queen on the stereo and pretend.

2 months later
#372 5 years ago

I am amazed by your accomplishment! So cool. Your concept of an em multicade via the various modes is brilliant. This is a pinhead’s pinball machine ... like PhD level pinball. I feel like I’m at least a tiny part of the project because I believe you sold me your PoTC to make space for Queen. I hope that if I ever come back to visit Cincinnati I can twist your arm into letting me play it. Was hoping that it would become a Pincinnati staple, but I totally get you not wanting to deal with all the hassle.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I am amazed by your accomplishment! So cool. Your concept of an em multicade via the various modes is brilliant. This is a pinhead’s pinball machine ... like PhD level pinball. I feel like I’m at least a tiny part of the project because I believe you sold me your PoTC to make space for Queen. I hope that if I ever come back to visit Cincinnati I can twist your arm into letting me play it. Was hoping that it would become a Pincinnati staple, but I totally get you not wanting to deal with all the hassle.

Absolutely - let me know when you're in town and you're welcome to come over and try it out!

8 months later
#374 4 years ago

Taking it to the Cincinnati 2019 show?

#375 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Taking it to the Cincinnati 2019 show?

Not this year. I was so anxious about it breaking down and angry at the people who abused it that I couldn't enjoy the show fully. And it really wasn't built for in an arcade environment. I might be persuaded to bring it to Pincinnati III.

#376 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Not this year. I was so anxious about it breaking down and angry at the people who abused it that I couldn't enjoy the show fully. And it really wasn't built for in an arcade environment. I might be persuaded to bring it to Pincinnati III.

Honestly, I'd feel the same way about not bringing it. Don't blame you one bit.

4 months later
#377 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

TopMoose, my hubby (pin addict) and I (Freddie addict) would love to see your amazing creation! If we can persuade you to bring it to Pincinnati, you've got our votes! We're just across the river in Hebron. My husband's addiction is just getting started and he's been talking about buying his first machine. My reply was that he could only buy one if it was Queen themed. Loved reading about your work and hope to see it in person soon!

#378 4 years ago

I've been thinking about making a few minor tweaks and perhaps bringing it back to Pincinnati, if it's ready in time. However, it won't be for sale . This one's a labor of love.

1 year later
#379 2 years ago

I think now is the time to resurrect this thread in an effort to convince you to bring your game to Pincinnati 2021. I’m flying in from Utah and really hoping to see you and your masterpiece!

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I think now is the time to resurrect this thread in an effort to convince you to bring your game to Pincinnati 2021. I’m flying in from Utah and really hoping to see you and your masterpiece!

Unfortunately, I scheduled an out of town gig for that same weekend. I won't be able to bring any games this year, but I do plan on attending and playing everyone else's games when I get back on Sunday.

2 years later
#381 3 months ago

It's been a long while, but I think it's time to write the 2nd act of this story.

Queen made a successful debut at Pincinnati 2018 - it was generally well-recieved, got a lot of plays and I was even interviewed by the local public radio station at the event. After the show I brought it back home, re-assembled it and loved playing it.

Unfortunately, it wasn't too long after that that some issues arose. As you may recall, I created the playfield graphics with a big vinyl decal, then sprayed it with automotive clearcoat, just as I did with my other restoration projects. After about a year, some bubbles started appearing on the playfield in high-impact areas and around the inserts - it turns out that the vinyl's surface texture is too smooth for the clearcoat to stick. In time, the bubbles grew, cracked, and bits of the clearcoat started chipping off in chunks.

20240110_142348_resized (resized).jpg20240110_142348_resized (resized).jpg 20240110_142405_resized (resized).jpg20240110_142405_resized (resized).jpg 20240110_142420_resized (resized).jpg20240110_142420_resized (resized).jpg

This was unsustainable and I realized the only good solution was to re-create the playfield. And if I was going to do that, then I might as well make some improvements, taking what I'd learned from the initial build and gameplay to tweak the playfield, make the electronics and wiring more efficient and improve the CPU and sound system.

Lists were made. A plan was hatched. It wouldn't be easy, but I'd done it before, right? It turned out to be much harder than I anticipated.

#382 3 months ago

The first step in this new phase of the project was to find another Flash playfield. This one was even more damaged than the first one.

(Note: I got a ton of flak the first time around for "destroying a perfectly good playfield." My response hasn't changed. I look forward to your downvotes.)

20191019_103459_resized (resized).jpg20191019_103459_resized (resized).jpg

Once I got it home, I needed to remove and replace all the inserts, to keep with my custom color theme.

20191020_115255_resized (resized).jpg20191020_115255_resized (resized).jpg20191020_114955_resized (resized).jpg20191020_114955_resized (resized).jpg 20191020_115003_resized (resized).jpg20191020_115003_resized (resized).jpg

#383 3 months ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

The first step in this new phase of the project was to find another Flash playfield. This one was even more damaged than the first one.
(Note: I a ton of flak the first time around for "destroying a perfectly good playfield." My response hasn't changed. I look forward to your downvotes.)
[quoted image]
Once I got it home, I needed to remove and replace all the inserts, to keep with my custom color theme.
[quoted image][quoted image] [quoted image]

Nobody should ever give you flack for trashing a playfield on a flash. They made a ton, and nobody likes the art. Wouldn't surprise me if CPR reruns them but updates the artwork on a version.

#384 3 months ago

Sorry you have to redo it, but think of how much better you can do it with what you know now. Onwards and upwards

#385 3 months ago

Time to make some changes.

UPGRADE #1: No more star rollovers.

Are star rollovers the worst device in pinball? They complicated the whole process during the first build, but then they collect dirt and wax, they're nearly impossible to keep clean, and forget about trying to remove the star pieces from the housing. Flash has five of them - the three by the upper flipper are kind of pointless and there are better ways to register the upper left lanes. While I was replacing all the inserts, I plugged the star rollover holes with opaque inserts and the plan is to have the new artwork cover it over.

UPGRADE #2: Rethinking the General Illumination.

In the original build, the GI lights were all on one string, attached directly to the 5V power supply. Turn on the power and all the GI lights come on and stay on. Inspired by modern Sterns like Deadpool and Queen's stage lighting, I now have the opportunity to do something way more exciting and dramatic. The plan is to wire the GI lights into the controlled light matrix on three separate strings. The "White" string includes the lane dividers at the top, the lights behind the center drops and the lanes down by the flippers. The "Red" and "Blue" strings will be on the sides and behind the top arch. Each string can have a different set of colored bulbs (hence the names), allowing me to program them in different combinations and set a different mood for each phase of gameplay.

The Red and Blue lights will illuminate the same areas, and I've mentioned my issues with the under-powered lighting being dim in general. That means I'll need to add more lights which means I'll need to add more holes to the playfield.

20200606_171150_resized (resized).jpg20200606_171150_resized (resized).jpg 20200606_222908_resized (resized).jpg20200606_222908_resized (resized).jpg
20200606_160607_resized (resized).jpg20200606_160607_resized (resized).jpg 20200606_163835_resized (resized).jpg20200606_163835_resized (resized).jpg

In these photos, you'll notice the plugs where the star rollovers used to be.
On the last set, you may also notice a smaller hole. This is for running wires and it relates to a later upgrade.

#386 3 months ago

RIP star rollovers

they are easy to remove, just snip off the nub on the bottom when needed and replace with a nice new white one (after cleaning up all the mold lines so it works right).

#387 3 months ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

RIP star rollovers
they are easy to remove, just snip off the nub on the bottom when needed and replace with a nice new white one (after cleaning up all the mold lines so it works right).

What I've run into is the little tines or whatever that hold the white part in break off. Then the white part won't stay in. Old and brittle, so it makes sense.

#388 3 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

What I've run into is the little tines or whatever that hold the white part in break off. Then the white part won't stay in. Old and brittle, so it makes sense.

yeah, that sucks when those break. in a pinch I have broken the rest of them off and then put a small post rubber on the white part and it works surprisingly well.

#389 3 months ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

yeah, that sucks when those break. in a pinch I have broken the rest of them off and then put a small post rubber on the white part and it works surprisingly well.

Awesome idea for the future, thanks.

#390 3 months ago

The next step was to sand everything down as flat as possible and spray any areas of the playfield that might show through the holes and gaps in the artwork with an airbrush.

20220323_200758_resized (resized).jpg20220323_200758_resized (resized).jpg

After that, I was ready to apply the new, improved playfield graphics.
I went to my printer - a local sign company - and did my best to explain what a Hardtop is (thin, clear, durable plastic with graphics printed on the underside, that can adhere to the top of the playfield). They were completely baffled and told me that they couldn't do it - the printing and the cutting and the materials were all just too complex.

What we decided to do was to make a big sticker to cover the whole playfield, just like before. Then, they could provide a clear, thin sheet of scratch-proof Lexan, cut with all the necessary shapes and holes, to lay on top. The ball would roll on the Lexan and the graphics would stay pristine. It's what I call the "Elektra Solution."

I lined up all the holes and the sticker went on:

20220323_203243_resized (resized).jpg20220323_203243_resized (resized).jpg 20220325_174607_resized (resized).jpg20220325_174607_resized (resized).jpg

At this point, I should mention UPGRADE #3: Improved artwork.

I was pretty happy with the colors and layout of the original artwork, but I made two adjustments. First, I removed the white shapes under the plastics. Those were included back in the day to reflect the light more clearly, but in the spots where they're visible (i.e. under the slingshots and bottom lanes), they tend to interrupt the look of the art.

The second adjustment is to add more overall texture to the art. Here's a photo of the original playfield, followed by a photo of the new, improved look.

Original PlayfieldOriginal Playfield Improved PlayfieldImproved Playfield

With the clear Lexan in place over the graphics, it really looks magnificent.

20220423_221659 (resized).jpg20220423_221659 (resized).jpg

20220423_221659 copy (resized).jpg20220423_221659 copy (resized).jpg
#391 88 days ago

UPGRADE #4: New Switches & Mechs.

The original playfield came fully populated, so it was easiest to use the original 1970's switches, targets and mechs, even if they were more difficult to work with and less reliable. So for the refurb, we're getting modern slingshot mechs, rollovers, spinners, spot targets and pop bumper parts.

20220430_134246 (resized).jpg20220430_134246 (resized).jpg

Here's what the top looks like with rails and a few posts installed:

20220430_134344 (resized).jpg20220430_134344 (resized).jpg

#392 88 days ago

love the art job...great work

#393 88 days ago

Really great work here, very nice improvements!

#394 87 days ago

Did you add multiball originally? Seems like a good time to add a modern ball trough and launcher...

I like the spinner additions. Why not also one in front of the saucer? It could have a rule like Alien Star or something

#395 82 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Did you add multiball originally? Seems like a good time to add a modern ball trough and launcher...
I like the spinner additions. Why not also one in front of the saucer? It could have a rule like Alien Star or something

Funny you should mention the spinners - I had alluded to it earlier, but I've replaced all the star rollovers with spinners in the new design. They're way more fun and visually interesting, plus I had plans for a unique skill shot: plunge the ball through the left spinner and register exactly three spins for big points and an explosive light show.

Unfortunately, these new Stern spinner assemblies created an unforseen problem - they're about 1/16" too tall for the low-profile Bally cabinet and the glass bumps into the top bar.

20240124_075314_resized (resized).jpg20240124_075314_resized (resized).jpg

My first thought was to remove the play field support cleats inside the cabinet and re-install them slightly lower, but that's easier said than done. Getting them off is one thing, but re-installing them perfectly level and parallel could be way too difficult. Plus, the lower angle would effect the playfield tilt and require new playfield hanging brackets at the lock bar. A more elegant solution would be to get new spinner assemblies fabricated, where the cross bar runs along the back, rather than across the top.

#396 82 days ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

UPGRADE #4: New Switches & Mechs.
The original playfield came fully populated, so it was easiest to use the original 1970's switches, targets and mechs, even if they were more difficult to work with and less reliable. So for the refurb, we're getting modern slingshot mechs, rollovers, spinners, spot targets and pop bumper parts.
[quoted image]
Here's what the top looks like with rails and a few posts installed:
[quoted image]

That looks great!

#397 82 days ago

Could you route a small 1/8" deep section for the foot of the spinner to sit in?

#398 81 days ago

UPGRADE #5: Replacing the drop targets

One of the main features of Flash is the 8 drop targets, but the 1970's style mechanisms didn't work with my game code. There was no way for the game to re-set specific targets from ball to ball or player to player. Also, those 8 targets required three coils and 12 spots on the switch matrix, because a separate spot was required for an "all targets down" switch plus a kick switch behind each bank. A big part of this refurb is simplification and efficiency, so out they go.

Inspired by the Deadpool Pro, I decided that spot targets would be easier to program and provide a faster game play. It also eliminates two rings.

20240124_080157_resized (resized).jpg20240124_080157_resized (resized).jpg
20240124_080204_resized (resized).jpg20240124_080204_resized (resized).jpg

#399 80 days ago

UPGRADE #6: New lamp and switch matrixes (matrices?)

Again, simplification and efficiency are the key, so new wiring was high on my list of needs. It solved a lot of issues from the first build.

• For some reason, I had originally wired each individual kick switch as a separate entry on the switch matrix but on the new playfield, they're all on the same circuit.
• Replacing the drop targets with standups and eliminating the star rollovers freed up a lot of space on the switch matrix and simplified the underside of the playfield.
• This is the point where I could wire the GI into the lamp matrix
• This time around, I got smart and color-coded the coil wiring, which should make troubleshooting a lot easier.

20240124_075510_resized (resized).jpg20240124_075510_resized (resized).jpg

UPGRADE #7: Longer lead wires into the backbox

On the original playfield, I gave myself five feet of wire leading from the playfield up into the backbox, figuring that would be more than enough. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it was way too short - the wires were yanked tight when I propped the playfield up, like in the above photo. So this time around, I made a 25-foot bundle of wires - an entire spool of wire of each color - and encased it into a PVC wire cover to keep things tidy. Now, I can not only prop the playfield up, but I can take it out and sit it next to the cabinet without disturbing the connections in the backbox.

20240124_075537_resized (resized).jpg20240124_075537_resized (resized).jpg

#400 74 days ago

At this point, I only have a few physical issues that need to be addressed on the machine.

1. The spinners are too tall for the glass
2. Adjusting the playfield layout means I'll need to make a few new plastics
3. I need a find a way to secure the apron.

But those are minor issues and we can move on to the more exciting part - new code! Unfortunately, in the five years since completing the initial build, two significant things happened: I got a new computer and Mission Pinball released a new version of the MPF software that I used for all the programming. I was able to download the correct version of Python and the new MPF software, but it turns out that pinproc - the software that allows my host computer to communicate with the P-ROC hardware in the machine - isn't compatible with my updated system. The MPF support boards don't have a solution for me and there's nothing I can do.

So that's the end of the story.

Right now, the plan is to sell the machine as a non-working project. Maybe someone else can complete my vision. I'm currently making preparations to post a for sale ad - look for it soon on the Marketplace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-retheme-project/page/8?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.