Topic Stats

• 376 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 99 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 222 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181202_195841_resized (resized).jpg
20181202_180320_resized (resized).jpg
20181130_184950_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_135224_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125152_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125143_resized (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.47.04 AM (resized).png
P8200606 (resized).JPG
P8200604 (resized).JPG
P8200605 (resized).JPG
P8200600 (resized).JPG
20180217_114643_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114534_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114613_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114556_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114520_resized (resized).jpg

There are 376 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 2 years ago

Was working on my 1970 Williams Strike Zone. Left it plugged in and powered on. I learned, Was unwinding a spring on the ball up stepper, when unwinding, hit one of the lugs on the step up coil.....zapp. Ouch. Knocked me against the wall, out for a minute or two. Don't be stupid.

#302 2 years ago

P6240112 (resized).JPG
P6240111 (resized).JPG
P6240116 (resized).JPG
P6240118 (resized).JPG
P6240120 (resized).JPG

#303 2 years ago

I borrowed a Dremel to cut a wider hole for the lights (there were many sparks) and added a cardstock bezel.

P6240121 (resized).JPG

#304 2 years ago

My latest learning opportunity was discovering that the original Bally display units require 190 volts of power to operate - way more that I'm equipped to provide. So $250 later, I have a new set of Pinscore LED replacement displays installed.

P6280123 (resized).JPG

Now, can someone please confirm that the red wires on the far left are power in and the blue and white wires on the far right are the ground?

P6240122 (resized).JPG

#305 2 years ago

OHMYGOD!

P6300125 (resized).JPG

#306 2 years ago

So, I'm curious, if these are a drop in replacement for the original what are they using power wise? I don't know the Bally displays but assume there is other voltage there somewhere??

#307 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

So, I'm curious, if these are a drop in replacement for the original what are they using power wise? I don't know the Bally displays but assume there is other voltage there somewhere??

These replacement displays use 5v power. I'm using the original Bally plugs and wiring , but clipped the wires that led into the original power board and connected them to my own power system.

I'm not sure why those two are showing all 3's, though.

#308 2 years ago

AH! That's better. It turns out some of my connections were a bit off.

P6300129 (resized).JPG

#309 2 years ago

As long as I'm working in the back box, let's wire up some GI.

P6300130 (resized).JPG

Here's the paper printout of the back glass art in place. Obviously, my measurements were off on the display windows. John Deacon will have to move to the left to make room for the credit display (it's causing a shadow on his face) and the protective film is still on the Lexan, causing the red tint on Roger Taylor's face. Overall, though it looks pretty good.

P6300131 (resized).JPG

#310 2 years ago

Great to see the displays light up correctly with the boot up pattern finally!

Lots of back and forth with info to get here.

For others interested in how the low voltage led displays get power the info is here:

+5V is pin 20 on each display. The wire colour is Green/White (45). It is fed from power driver board connector J3 - pin 17
GND is pin 13 on each display. The wire colour is brown (60). It is fed from the power driver board connector J3 - pin 20

The high voltage power for the original displays is pin 1 and is +190v. This is also fed from the power driver board J3 connector - pin 8 and is the wire colour is red.

#311 2 years ago

Props to applejuice for all his help getting the score displays working!

#312 2 years ago

Holy shit thats great...

#313 2 years ago

This is super cool and I love how, just like the game is a greatest hits of Queen songs, the rules are a greatest hits of rulesets.

#314 2 years ago

I suspect that an appetite exists for a Queen game. In the future, I hope that you receive an invitation, at any time, to display your extraordinary conversion game. . .perhaps at an expo with caviar and cigarettes. . .an invitation you can't decline. . .

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I suspect that an appetite exists for a Queen game. In the future, I hope that you receive an invitation, at any time, to display your extraordinary conversion game. . .perhaps at an expo with caviar and cigarettes. . .an invitation you can't decline. . .

Don't get the Moet and Chandon out of your pretty cabinet just yet... there's still a long way to go with this project.

Queen would absolutely make a great pinball theme for a real production run, but Stern, Jack, etc. would never make a machine like this - these days they're only interested in deep-rule repeat-the-shot woodchoppers that can be used in competitions. And that's exactly why I wanted to make this game this way.

Quoted from trunchbull:

This is super cool and I love how, just like the game is a greatest hits of Queen songs, the rules are a greatest hits of rulesets.

You get it, my friend.

#316 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Queen would absolutely make a great pinball theme for a real production run, but Stern, Jack, etc. would never make a machine like this

Don't be so sure, I've heard rumors that one of the companies are interested in this title.

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Don't be so sure, I've heard rumors that one of the companies are interested in this title.

I meant they'd never make a game with an objective-based rule set like mine.

#318 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Don't get the Moet and Chandon out of your pretty cabinet just yet... there's still a long way to go with this project.

In high school French language class, I remember discovering that Moet is a family name, pronounced with a hard "t" (and not with the soft "t" as Freddy Mercury sang the name in Killer Queen). Never could sing along in quite the same way thereafter. Just as well, I suppose. I can't carry a tune.

Then again, forcing a rhyme of Killer Queen with gunpowder "gelatin" was always a stretch of poetic license.

2 weeks later
#319 2 years ago

My latest coding update video is ready! This one shows off my ninth and final game mode, "Somebody to Love", which is inspired by Williams OXO but, due to some technical limitations, plays more like Bally Bongo. No matter, it turned out great and this is the most fun of all the modes to play!

Getting this mode to happen required making a little light grid, adding it to the lamp matrix, expanding the hole in the metal apron, figuring out that 4-SMD red 44's are the way to go and, of course, all the programming. Enjoy!

#320 2 years ago

I'm in awe of how this is turning out. I hope you get to take it to some shows and show it off!

#321 2 years ago

It's amazing the amount of modes you can add to an old Flash layout to make the game way deeper. Nice work!

2 weeks later
#322 2 years ago

Great idea...

Now, please put some new cliffy flipper return frames on there and get that ball hop out of there!
-mof

#323 2 years ago

Only just found this thread. Hats off to you. Fantastic bit of re-engineering going on. Well done.

#324 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It's amazing the amount of modes you can add to an old Flash layout to make the game way deeper. Nice work!

Eleven seems to be the max.

Quoted from mof:

Great idea...
Now, please put some new cliffy flipper return frames on there and get that ball hop out of there!
-mof

I have other, more pressing issues to work out right now - specifically, some more mundane aspects of coding that don't warrant a flashy video:

1. I added a tilt! After two warnings (with buzzer sound effects), the music stops and the flippers shut off when the tilt bob makes contact for the third time. The ball then drains and the next ball kicks out, but I can't get the music to re-start.

2. I've only tested the game in one-player games, but recently thought to try out a two-player game. This opened a Pandora's box of logic issues. When Player 1's ball ends, their selected mode and music keeps going over top of Player 2's game. I can stop Player 1's game and music when their ball ends, but then they lose all their game progress and they have to start over from scratch when their turn comes back up. Also, I can't restart their mode-specific music track. Thinking through all the stop/start configurations makes my head spin.

#325 2 years ago

Wow this this amazing! Great work!

1 week later
#326 2 years ago

"I have other, more pressing issues to work out right now - specifically, some more mundane aspects of coding that don't warrant a flashy video:
1. I added a tilt! After two warnings (with buzzer sound effects), the music stops and the flippers shut off when the tilt bob makes contact for the third time. The ball then drains and the next ball kicks out, but I can't get the music to re-start.
2. I've only tested the game in one-player games, but recently thought to try out a two-player game. This opened a Pandora's box of logic issues. When Player 1's ball ends, their selected mode and music keeps going over top of Player 2's game. I can stop Player 1's game and music when their ball ends, but then they lose all their game progress and they have to start over from scratch when their turn comes back up. Also, I can't restart their mode-specific music track. Thinking through all the stop/start configurations makes my head spin."

Ouch!... you'll get there

#327 2 years ago

Nice going.

I do own a flash as a donor for a future project. It's standing in the corner of my shed for a few years already. Hop to get started soon...

#328 2 years ago

Keep working, you'll get there, looking awesome. I like that going over a switch a second time turns the light back off(referring to your "somebody to love mode"

4 weeks later
#329 2 years ago

We're long overdue for a project update. I've been busy working out two issues, but seem to have reached am impasse for now.

The machine now plays multi-player games with almost no issue - music stops and starts properly between players and the machine remembers each player's progress between balls. The only issue left there is that the progress lights (which keep track of number of objectives completed) don't progress correctly between players and between balls. I've discussed it with the MPF mods and it looks like it's a software issue that they're working out for the next code update.

I've also been working on getting my displays working with the help of Pinsider applejuice. The display adapter was acting weird, so we tried replacing it with a new one and it seems to be working much better already. Now we just need to figure out how to get MPF to communicate with it - it should just be a matter of finding the right coding syntax.

But besides that, the game plays really well. I hope that once these two hurdles have been overcome it will be a quick path to completion!

2 weeks later
#330 2 years ago

A Queen themed pin would be my all time dream !!! Always wondered how a "real" one was never done. The amount of potential puns alone would be epic. This is amazing, well done !

#331 2 years ago
Quoted from MrsHardy:

A Queen themed pin would be my all time dream

queenpinball01 (resized).jpg

#332 2 years ago

Update time!

1. We (meaning myself, Jan at MPF and Jim at MyPinballs.com) got the score displays working! Including my 5th display, which had an added degree of difficulty. I'll post a video showing it off in a week or two, but not sooner because...

2. I sent my backglass design off to my local print shop yesterday and want to wait to show off the displays behind the finished backglass. The plan is to make the backglass the same way I did the playfield plastics, with translucent printed vinyl adhered to a sheet of Lexan. I hope I explained it adequately and that the printers understand that it will be backlit. They seemed confused about why I wanted those six little rectangles cut out. I also hope the colors come out as vibrant as they appear on screen.

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 12.27.02 PM (resized).png

3. I just have two programming bugs to work out before I can call the coding done! One involves the scoring - right now, scoring and advancing playfield multipliers only work for player 1, but I'm hoping to crack the problem soon. The other issue has to do with some of the indicator lights carrying over from ball to ball and it's something MPF was working on.

After that, I can worry about transferring the programming onto a Raspberry Pi to un-tether the game from the host computer and then set up speakers. It's coming together!

1 week later
#333 2 years ago

My backglass artwork arrived from the printer!

PA250208 (resized).JPG

I had my printer make two things. first, the main artwork on a large sheet of translucent vinyl with the score display windows cut out. He also printed a set of words in reverse lettering on clear vinyl to stick to the back - these are the specially-lit features like GAME OVER and TILT that appear behind the artwork.

My first step was to get the blank sheet of lexan in place. The protective film is still on it.

PA250200 (resized).JPG

Then, I taped the cut out clear stickers in place to make sure the placement against the bevels is correct.

PA250201 (resized).JPG

I don't have a light table, but I do have the next best thing - a Night Moves. The next step is to flip the sheet over, remove the protective film from the back and place the clear stickers exactly over top of the placeholders.

PA250204 (resized).JPG

Then, I flipped the sheet over, removed the plastic film on the front, and taped the main artwork firmly in place.

PA250208 (resized).JPG

I used the "hinge" method to place the sticker once side at a time, going slowly across the plastic with a padded squeegee.

PA250209 (resized).JPG

Then, I removed the protective paper from the front.

PA250211 (resized).JPG

Voila! A beautiful backglass. It doesn't look this washed-out in person and a few colored LEDs around the edges will help make the colors pop. Also, it looks like my measurements were a little off on the bottom display windows and I'll have to fix the shadow across John Deacon's face. Oh well.

PA250212 (resized).JPG

Here's what the backlit indicator lights look like.

PA250213 (resized).JPG

PA250207 (resized).JPG

#335 2 years ago

Love it, very cool project.

1 month later
#336 2 years ago

Here's a new update showing the backglass artwork and working segment displays, outlining how the special bonus display works, and including a brief gameplay example.

Right now, I'm working out a few details regarding the extra balls - one for reaching a score threshold and a 2nd as a Special award. I want the player to be able to take them into the final end-of-line super wizard mode and it's proving a challenge to get things working correctly. After that, the only challenge left is to transfer the code to a Raspberry Pi and cut the cords to my host computer.

#337 2 years ago

Outstanding work!

1 month later
#338 2 years ago

I've been working on one final programming issue for the past two months, but I think I've finally worked it out! Figuring out extra balls was an enormous challenge. Because of some of my game's unique needs, the Extra Balls code wouldn't work, so I decided to set it up as a Ball Save instead, that works like an extra ball is awarded. I need it to:

1. Award and extra ball ball save when the score threshold is reached (including a sound and light show and turning on the "Shoot Again" lamp)
2. Save the ball during play
3. Disable during Pressure mode, which comes with it's own built-in ball save. When I had both on at the same time, Extra Ball would get used up first.
4. Re-enable when the Pressure timer stops.
5. Disable and re-enable correctly each time if the player plays several Pressure modes in a row.
6. Stop during the 1st Wizard mode, which also has its own ball save.
7. Re-enable after the 1st Wizard mode.
8. Disable and re-enable correctly during a Pressure mode AFTER Wizard mode was played (who could foresee THAT as an issue?).
9. Save the ball during the 2nd Wizard mode (which does not have its own ball save).
10. Do all of this correctly for each player in a multi-player context.

You guys, think about the simplest solid state game you've ever played. A staggering amount of testing and work went into making it run smoothly for the player in every possible context - more than you can imagine.

#339 2 years ago

Now that the Extra Ball has been worked out, how do you figure out where to set the scoring threshold to award it? Playfield scoring is exactly the same for every mode, so I started by playing each game mode three to four times at 1X playfield value and recording the scores. Then, I avereraged the scores for each game mode:

Don't Stop Me Now: 24,306
Another One Bites the Dust: 13,470
Fat Bottom Girls: 14,470
Bicycle Race: 20,188
Crazy Little Thing Called Love: 7,164
Under Pressure: 13,064
Killer Queen: 20,843
We Will Rock You: 12,985
Somebody to Love: 11,152

They were all pretty close! I averaged everything together and found that the average of all the scores was 12,822.
Each game mode gives the player one chance to increase the multiplier to the next level (2X, 3X, maxing out at 5X). So figuring that if the player completes three modes and increases the multiplier two to three times and maybe gets a couple of the skill shots, I could round that figure up a bit and set the replay value to an even 100,000 points. So far, I'm testing it out and finding that I can get there right before the first Wizard mode.

1 month later
#340 2 years ago

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you decide to take on a homebrew project, use a PC.

Mac is ideal for the design aspects - nothing beats the power of Illustrator and Photoshop and Mac is the industry-standard platform. MPF can be programmed on either Mac or PC, but PC is a bit easier. However, when it comes to the final step - transferring all the program over to a Raspberry Pi and cutting the cords to my host computer - I've discovered that Mac is useless.

In order to program the Raspberry Pi, it needs to connect to a host computer via Ethernet connection, HDMI input and a USB keyboard. My Mac will not allow me to connect via Ethernet, has no HDMI port and uses a wireless keyboard. So, as with many aspects of this project, I've had to improvise.

My only Ethernet port is upstairs at the front of my house in the office. The only screen with an HDMI port is my living room TV on the 1st floor at the back of the house. My solution is to buy a 50' Ethernet cable that runs the length of the building - out of the office, down the stairs, through the hall, into the living room and to the TV.

20180217_114520_resized (resized).jpg20180217_114534_resized (resized).jpg20180217_114556_resized (resized).jpg20180217_114613_resized (resized).jpg20180217_114643_resized (resized).jpg

I was able to borrow a USB keyboard and powered up the Pi with an AC adapter. Now, after teaching myself Python over the last 18 months, I have to use Linux protocols because (surprise!) RPI's are different. So now I'm sitting on my ottoman with the keyboard balanced on one knee, my iPad on the other looking at Linux tutorials while looking up at my TV screen.

#341 2 years ago

Looks like a game of mousetrap.

2 months later
#343 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

I know! So excited about this. Star Wars excited.

3 months later
#344 1 year ago

I'ts been a long while since I last gave an update, but I swear I've been working on this every single day. The final phase of making this game is to take my completed MPF game code, install it on a mini computer and then to get that mini computer to control the game on its own.

MPF is Python based, but to program the Raspberry Pi, I had to learn a bit of Linux code, which is very different. Loading MPF was an issue. Loading my game code was an issue. Getting the program to start automatically when the mini computer powers up was a huge issue. There were a thousand hurdles, but I worked through them all (with a lot of help from Jan and the good folks on the MPF Forum) and I can finally say

QUEEN

IS

COMPLETE!

P8200600 (resized).JPG

The last thing I had to do was install the mini computer and speakers (which sit on top of the backbox). Rather than hard-wire them into the game's electrical grid, I decided it would be easier to just plug in their AC adapters. Here's how I had things wired before:

Wall outlet -- Utility outlet -- power switch -- fuse -- ATX1 -- ATX2

The two ATX devices convert the high voltage from the wall to 12v, 7v and 5.5v power for the coils, boards and lights. I added a new outlet inside the cabinet so the power flow now looks like this:

Wall outlet -- Utility outlet -- power switch -- fuse -- internal outlet -- ATX1 -- ATX2

P8200605 (resized).JPG

So now I can just plug the AC adapters directly into the power grid and the speakers and mini computer turn on when the machine powers up.

P8200604 (resized).JPG

Here's what the inisde of the backbox looks like now. five circuit boards: the P-ROC, the lamp driver, the coil driver, the segment display controller and the mini computer.

P8200606 (resized).JPG

The only step left is to move it from my upstairs office, where it was born, down to its forever home in my living room. I hope to post more gameplay videos here in the next few days.

#345 1 year ago

Congrats! Looks great!

#347 1 year ago

Fantastic

Queen needs to go on tour soon

#348 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can’t wait to see this in person!

Come over any time! Maybe you can help me move it downstairs.

#349 1 year ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Come over any time! Maybe you can help me move it downstairs.

If you need help, and I’m free, I’ll be there.

#350 1 year ago

Here's a gameplay video:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Montreal, QC
$ 22.00
$ 11.00
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weedsport, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 376 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside