Topic Stats

• 376 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 222 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181202_195841_resized (resized).jpg
20181202_180320_resized (resized).jpg
20181130_184950_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_135224_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125152_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125143_resized (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.47.04 AM (resized).png
P8200606 (resized).JPG
P8200604 (resized).JPG
P8200605 (resized).JPG
P8200600 (resized).JPG
20180217_114643_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114534_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114613_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114556_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114520_resized (resized).jpg

There are 376 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 3 years ago

I saw this today, and I thought I would let you know it is possible to control the stock Williams six digit master display board with a Adruino Uno and a pair of 74HC595 shift register chips. I did it on my Flash P-roc project back a few years ago.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1429.msg13295#msg13295

1 month later
#252 2 years ago

I've been quietly working on the game programming, but finally have something to show! It's a long way from being finished, but this video will show off the coding I've accomplished so far and give you an idea for how the game play works. I'm really happy with the progress and have the patient admins at the MPF user forum to thank for nearly everything you see. Enjoy!

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I've been quietly working on the game programming, but finally have something to show! It's a long way from being finished, but this video will show off the coding I've accomplished so far and give you an idea for how the game play works. I'm really happy with the progress and have the patient admins at the MPF user forum to thank for nearly everything you see. Enjoy!

» YouTube video

Nice progress! That's shaping up to be a hell of a game!

I like how you've gone with kind of a Kiss/ACDC style of play with song-based modes. I'd love to see a production Queen game.

#254 2 years ago

Sweeeet! Great progress!

#255 2 years ago

The music makes all the difference in the world, that thing looks so good!

#256 2 years ago

That completely rocks!! Loving it! And gameplay looks nice and smooth.

#257 2 years ago

You need a flu shot to play that game 'cause it is SICK!!! Beautiful Job Moose.

#258 2 years ago

I like your modes, and how you are using the center numbers as counters.

3 weeks later
#259 2 years ago

I'm starting to think about the backglass...

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 2.51.39 PM (resized).png

#260 2 years ago

I love this project, very cool how you have updated Flash's flow for a new theme borrowing the selectable song options really brings a lot to the table for a single ball game.

You are intending to keep single ball? Or would Multi Ball even be a possible addition?

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from Helixthree:

I love this project, very cool how you have updated Flash's flow for a new theme borrowing the selectable song options really brings a lot to the table for a single ball game.
You are intending to keep single ball? Or would Multi Ball even be a possible addition?

I'll have to keep it a single ball game because the Flash playfield isn't equipped for Multiball. MPF requires that the game keep track of all balls at all times, which would require an extra trough switch that Flash doesn't have. I agree it would be cool to have a Multiball, though.

#262 2 years ago

There are two unused switch rows in Flash that could be used to add trough switches, and a shooter lane switch. You could retrofit a WPC style ball trough, then you could add support for multiball without adding another coil. However, it may be easier to fit a system 11 style trough in Flash, but that would require wiring up another coil for the kick out.

#263 2 years ago

Just read the thread from the beginning. Very inspirational job here, Moose! Now get Moose and Squirrel

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I'll have to keep it a single ball game because the Flash playfield isn't equipped for Multiball.

Nothing that a scroll saw and a PBL trough won't fix. Here's my Gottlieb Mustang - a single ball EM! - with a multiball trough.

Multiball!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4120

#265 2 years ago

Great job so far very impressive.
Keen to see the backglass.

Lots of ways to add Multiball on old games.

#266 2 years ago

Queen should have been Stern's first music pin.

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Queen should have been Stern's first music pin.

It should have been a Bally from 1978.

4 weeks later
#268 2 years ago

Here's my idea for the backglass. It might change a bit if I can't get all five displays working.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 9.24.13 AM (resized).png

#269 2 years ago

This thing is looking great...just caught up on the last 2 pages of the thread. Glad to see it nearly complete and finally flipping!! Awesome job.

#270 2 years ago

I printed the back glass art on paper and taped it to a sheet of Lexan to test things out. Here's a first look at the total art package.

P3180020 (resized).JPG

P3180019 (resized).JPG

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Here's my idea for the backglass. It might change a bit if I can't get all five displays working.

Nice, personally I would use the bottom center victory pic as the big center pic and then flank it with much smaller faces of the band members.

#272 2 years ago

Here's another programming progress video, featuring three new game modes and revisions on two of the existing modes. Also, I added switch sounds and callouts as well as more light shows to punctuate the action.

I've done a lot of work on the first wizard mode, but it's not ready to show off yet.

#273 2 years ago

Looking cool! Exciting stuff having a game that works!

#274 2 years ago

Man that game is looking fantastic! Keep up the progress.

#275 2 years ago

Real cool progress,how did you do that jukebox part with mpf?
Can you perhaps share that bit of code?
I won't share with the public if you PM.
If not for the Minion machine,it is handy for a future project pinball.
The center lights as the countdown clock is real smart.
Great work man.

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Real cool progress,how did you do that jukebox part with mpf?
Can you perhaps share that bit of code?
I won't share with the public if you PM.
If not for the Minion machine,it is handy for a future project pinball.
The center lights as the countdown clock is real smart.
Great work man.

Thanks! My song selection menu is done with MPF's "carousel" feature as a stand-alone mode. I just programmed it to play a different light show and music track for each step of the cycle. Then, when a song is selected, it posts (for example) carousel_bicycle_selected, which stops carousel mode and starts the selected game mode.

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Thanks! My song selection menu is done with MPF's "carousel" feature as a stand-alone mode. I just programmed it to play a different light show and music track for each step of the cycle. Then, when a song is selected, it posts (for example) carousel_bicycle_selected, which stops carousel mode and starts the selected game mode.

Ah,understood..we talk the same mpf language.
that would be version 0.31 of mpf right?
I am still on v0.21.
Hey if i can be of any help,pm me.
I know some stuff too.

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Ah,understood..we talk the same mpf language.
that would be version 0.31 of mpf right?
I am still on v0.21.
Hey if i can be of any help,pm me.
I know some stuff too.

You a little behind, current is 0.32, 0.33 about to come out.. or so I read.

Nice Queen retheme, I've been thinking/dreaming/planning a Highlander (original movie) pin for some time, which of course would feature a Queen soundtrack.

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

You a little behind, current is 0.32, 0.33 about to come out.. or so I read.
Nice Queen retheme, I've been thinking/dreaming/planning a Highlander (original movie) pin for some time, which of course would feature a Queen soundtrack.

Correct - I'm using 0.32 and the mods at the MPF Forums say 0.33 is only days away from release. Which is great news, because there's some stuff I have planned for my wizard mode that the current MPF can't do yet.

#280 2 years ago

0.19 is where i came in.
I traveled along to 0.21 and i basically thank god it works.
They shut down the mpf website which was hell for me,i was so used to navigate that.
I could not believe they did that.
Now with the new pinball project i am starting with the latest version from the beginning.
Not worth converting the minion code....it finally works great at this point.

#281 2 years ago

Great job.

Be sure and eliminate the flipper ball hop by getting a new pair of cliffys enchanced flipper return frames.

Mof

1 week later
#282 2 years ago

Wizard mode footage! Come on come on!
Very exciting to see what you come up with.

2 weeks later
#283 2 years ago
Quoted from kaboom:

Great job so far very impressive.
Keen to see the backglass.
Lots of ways to add Multiball on old games.
» YouTube video

hey kaboom
nice work, does that game run on the software and any pictures of the mech your using there?

#284 2 years ago

Wow! Definitely one of the coolest re-themes of all time!

#285 2 years ago

The latest coding progress is ready to show off! This video shows:

1. Game mode #8: We Will Rock You.
2. The three sub-modes, which increase playfield multipliers when completed.
3. A quick glass-off run-through of the game's overall structure, including bonus modes and a final sudden-death wizard mode.

Enjoy!

4 weeks later
#286 2 years ago

With the majority of the programming done, I took a little break to regroup and plan the next steps. Here's what lies ahead for this project:

1. Getting the score displays to work. P-ROC and Mission Pinball are really designed with DMD displays in mind, but this is a throwback game and I really want to use the original Bally segment displays. I've been in contact with MyPinballs.com who sell a small adapter board. We're working out how to get it to work.

P5130064 (resized).JPG

2. My overall goal is to make a "wedgehead multicade" emulating the rules of several different classic games all on one playfield. So far, I have modes inspired by Fun Land, Jacks Open, Grand Prix, Centigrade 37, Beat Time, Travel Time and Golden Arrow (yes, I know some of those aren't wedgeheads). One game I was always hoping to incorporate was OXO, but it comes with some technical challenges. First, it requires a tic tac toe board somewhere on the game. Nothing on the Flash playfield will do. I was toying with the idea of re-making the backbox panel, but I'm in search of a simpler way that doesn't interfere with the look of the backglass.

The only other logical place for a tic tac toe grid is in the apron.

P5280093 (resized).JPG

I could mount a set of RGB LED's under the opening, make a simple baffle out of cardstock and place a translucent rules card over the top with the numbers lined up to indicate each target. Pops and slingshots would change between red and blue and 3 in a row of the same color would end the mode. Admittedly, it's more of a combination of OXO and Bongo. I found this 1" square grid of LED's that would be perfect.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.03.23 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.03.37 PM (resized).png

To make this happen, I'll have to get a P-ROC LED driver board and, because LED's take 3.5v power rather than 6.5v, I'd have to find a way decrease the voltage. This one mode could end up costing about $200.

A much much easier option is to eschew the color-changing idea and put in single-color 6.5v LED's. I certainly have enough leftover spaces on my lamp matrix for 9 new lights and the wiring would be much simpler. But would the game be as compelling?

What if hitting a switch turned on a light on the tic tac toe grid... but hitting that switch again turned it off? Then it would be more of a challenge to light three in a row.

#287 2 years ago

Fantastic job

When complete , can I order one ?

#288 2 years ago

Very cool....game is definitely going to kick ass once complete...and I think it does already.

#289 2 years ago

HIVE MIND: I need your help.

Here, again, is a photo of the apron where I want to mount my tic-tac-toe board lights:

d2344ec2050dc05422d7176bbd7574326e22a84e (resized).jpg

What's the best way to widen the hole to make more room for the sockets? I just want to expand the top and bottom by about 1/4" each. Or maybe just one side by 1/2", if that's easier. Keep in mind that:

- Laser cutters, plasma saws etc. aren't feasible options.
- I don't have any access to band saws, chop saws, electric shears, etc. and can't justify the expense for just this.
- If at all possible, I don't want to disturb the vinyl decal that covers the apron.

Think easy and cheap. Thanks!

#290 2 years ago

Maybe a dremel with a cut off wheel? You would then want to cover the assembly with some sort of bezel as I am sure you would not have the world's most straight cut.

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

Maybe a dremel with a cut off wheel? You would then want to cover the assembly with some sort of bezel as I am sure you would not have the world's most straight cut.

Yes - the whole thing would be covered with a standard-sized rule card. Thanks- a Dremel is probably the best cheap option.
Any thoughts on using tin snips? Maybe a couple of relief cuts and then bend the metal flaps underneath?

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Yes - the whole thing would be covered with a standard-sized rule card. Thanks- a Dremel is probably the best cheap option.
Any thoughts on using tin snips? Maybe a couple of relief cuts and then bend the metal flaps underneath?

Snips might work, would want a sheet metal hand brake or seamer to get a clean bend.

One of these might work:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-jaw-straight-sheet-metal-seamer-98728.html

Or one of these cut down to the right width (I've cut these before).
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-sheet-metal-folding-tool-96523.html

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

With the majority of the programming done, I took a little break to regroup and plan the next steps. Here's what lies ahead for this project:
1. Getting the score displays to work. P-ROC and Mission Pinball are really designed with DMD displays in mind, but this is a throwback game and I really want to use the original Bally segment displays. I've been in contact with MyPinballs.com who sell a small adapter board. We're working out how to get it to work.

Yep were working on getting things powered and wired up at the mo. The central system and code used is the same that controls displays on my controller boards and on scotts total annihilation prototype. Though a partially populated controller board could have been used here, the adapter board fits better here i think, is smaller and gives more flexibility for connection.

Once power up and connected to the original wiring the displays should spring to life and display the test boot up pattern of all zeros. Then we'll tackle the communication from the game code.

1 week later
#294 2 years ago

A jig saw would cut that nice and clean

#295 2 years ago

Right now I'm waiting on two different online orders so I can complete the next steps - jumper wires to connect the displays and bayonet light bases to make the tic-tac-toe assembly in my apron.

In the mean time, I've mounted the display adapter behind the back box panel...

P6160104 (resized).JPG

...and I've wired up a new column of matrix lights. The new bundle of wires will go through the apron hole and connect to a mini light board.

P6160101 (resized).JPG

In other news, while doing all this wiring, the cabinet got bumped causing the playfield to fall into the cabinet. Luckily, I took a lot of the impact and walked away with a nasty scratch on my shoulder. One of my favorite shirts got torn up in the process.

P6160099 (resized).JPG

It may or may not be related, but I had some issues starting a game after that and now the machine won't boot up at all. I have a message in to P-ROC asking for help. Perhaps that's enough for one night.

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

fall into the cabinet

Sorry for the scratch and bruise...

Seriously, glad you have all limbs and your head still attached. I wonder about these barely-propped up playfields sometimes, and the risks we take.
-mof

#297 2 years ago

Who here can't say that we have done some questionable things, that we look back on, or explain to others and they say WTF were you thinking. I have a healing wound on my finger from just such a thing. And scars to prove some of the others...

#298 2 years ago

game is taking nice shape, sorry to hear about the injury

#299 2 years ago

Thanks, all - my shoulder has already improved and feels much better than it looks.

Here's what happened that night:

I stated by adding wiring for a new matrix column, to control the tic tac toe grid that will go in the apron. Then I went into the main config file in MPF to define the new lights. The matrix column took care of eight lights, so I decided to re-wire the apron flasher to be the center light of the grid. I lifted the playfield and adjusted the wiring, but didn't prop it out far enough. I accidentally bumped the cabinet and the playfield came down, mostly on my shoulder.

After that, The game was working - meaning MPF would run and the attract lights would go - but the dedicated switches (start button and flippers) wouldn't work. I had installed Molex connectors on those switch wires, in case I wanted to detach the head from the body and, Figuring that the connections were damaged in the fall, decided to ditch the Molex and heat shrink the wires together.

I then put the playfield back and tried to start it up, but my computer couldn't connect to the P-ROC. I've been over it on the P-ROC forums and we've concluded that a short damaged one or more board components. At the least, it looks like I'll need some board repair. At the most, a whole new P-ROC.

The expense and the time delay aren't a concern. I've been working on this project for over a year and it will get done. It's a big setback, but nothing that can't be overcome.

#300 2 years ago

...impressive sir!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
£ 75.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 376 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside