Topic Stats

• 376 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 222 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181202_195841_resized (resized).jpg
20181202_180320_resized (resized).jpg
20181130_184950_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_135224_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125152_resized (resized).jpg
20181129_125143_resized (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.47.04 AM (resized).png
P8200606 (resized).JPG
P8200604 (resized).JPG
P8200605 (resized).JPG
P8200600 (resized).JPG
20180217_114643_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114534_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114613_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114556_resized (resized).jpg
20180217_114520_resized (resized).jpg

There are 376 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

...so I've decided to cover them with black veneer.

The problem with veneer is you still have the crappy soft pine underneath and a potential for delamination someday. For the work required to veneer them, making a new set from red oak and painting them black would give you a superior result. I have done this several times.

Also, TaylorVA is making rails as a business now here on Pinside... and not charging much for the effort. Search for Reese Rails.

Something to think about.

Mac

#102 3 years ago

This is coming along just awesome...great theme.

Galileo.....Galileo......Galileo......Galileo.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Clearcoating is done! (Whew!)
Each session was done in a hot, closed garage while wearing a respirator, goggles and a Tyvek suit. I was swimming in sweat after each application. There were some complications along the way but I think the last coat turned out pretty well. Now it will live in its cabinet, stowed under Jet Spin, to cure for six weeks. When I get back from ReplayFX it will be ready for a final sanding, polish and wax.

I will need your address and when did you say you were leaving?

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

This is coming along just awesome...great theme.
Galileo.....Galileo......Galileo......Galileo.

Galileo Figaro...!

It will be a while before the playfield is ready for refinishing and repopulating, so I'm trying to get little things done in the mean time. This includes making plastics. I've had some nice Pinsiders volunteer to send me tracings of my missing pieces, but they haven't had time yet, so if someone wants to help me out, please let me know!

Quoted from Travish:

I will need your address and when did you say you were leaving?

Sure thing - it's 8746 Copperhead... Heyyyyyyyy!

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I've had some nice Pinsiders volunteer to send me tracings of my missing pieces, but they haven't had time yet, so if someone wants to help me out, please let me know!

Yeah, sorry dude. I looked for my rogue Flash plastics last weekend for you, but couldn't find them. They're tucked away in a box somewhere. If I come across them, I'll definitely scan and get them to you.

#106 3 years ago

Here's a quick project I can check off my list: Drop targets!

I started by getting images of Queen's first 8 album covers, reducing them to 1" squares and printing them on full-sheet label paper. Then, I covered them with a leftover piece of transparent laminate that I got from my printer (remember those clearcoat tests I did a few weeks ago?) and cut them out with an X-acto. Then, I just had to peel and stick them onto the targets. Voila!

P6230167_(resized).JPG

P6230168_(resized).JPG

P6230169_(resized).JPG

P6230172_(resized).JPG

#107 3 years ago

for the backglass it would be cool if you could create this effect:
queen_inifinity_(resized).jpg

By using an infinity mirror (you'd have to create a mask for the light so you get the shape of their heads):
infinity_mirror_(resized).jpg

#108 3 years ago

Curious what kind of ruleset you'll have. There are so many Queen soundbites that come to mind - "Play the game, play the game, play the game" during attract mode, or "Don't stop me now!" during a ball save? Looking forward to seeing this project come together!

#109 3 years ago

Don't look back, it's a Dragon Attack.
And you are a worthless pos if you don't have Flash..Aaaa, defender of the universe, especially with the donor board. Kidding on the Worthless pos comment...

#110 3 years ago

P6240173_(resized).JPG

P6240174_(resized).JPG

P6240175_(resized).JPG

P6250176_(resized).JPG

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Curious what kind of ruleset you'll have. There are so many Queen soundbites that come to mind - "Play the game, play the game, play the game" during attract mode, or "Don't stop me now!" during a ball save? Looking forward to seeing this project come together!

How 'bout this soundbite: "Flash! Whoa-oh". (from the Flash Gordon soundtrack). I had always planned to use this as the start button sound for my re-tech of a Flash machine (which has been on hold for close to 2 years now, unfortunately).

#112 3 years ago

An 8" X 10" holographic-sparkle sticker is only $.89 at my local art store.

P6280194_(resized).JPG

P6280195_(resized).JPG

#113 3 years ago

IMO, the hand and the bolts kinda seem like they belong to the theme. We are the Champions. Flash. Just me though.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

IMO, the hand and the bolts kinda seem like they belong to the theme. We are the Champions. Flash. Just me though.

And me.

1 week later
#115 3 years ago

I still have four more weeks before the clearcoat is cured and I can't make any real progress until August ( ), so I'm looking ahead to the next three or four steps down the road. I created this diagram, which shows several things all at once:

1. Inventory of controlled lights, coils, switches and GI that I'll need to wire up.
2. Placement, size and color of the rings I'll need (I'm planning on going to Titan for these).
3. Number, placement and color of lamps (GI and controlled).
4. Lights grouped into columns for the lamp matrix.
5. Switches grouped into columns for the switch matrix.

Screen_Shot_2016-07-07_at_2.03.02_PM_(resized).png

#116 3 years ago

Here are two more diagrams I created for wiring the lamp columns and rows. You'll notice that in my game, the pop bumper and kickout lights are controlled, rather than GI, like in the original Flash.

Screen_Shot_2016-07-07_at_2.06.48_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-07-07_at_2.07.01_PM_(resized).png

#117 3 years ago

Would be cool if you could add something from the end of their career, like Innuendo or The Miracle.

1 week later
#118 3 years ago

I need to get some parts for my re-theme soon- was Marco your source for new inserts? Love the color choices.

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Well_Fed_Games:

I need to get some parts for my re-theme soon- was Marco your source for new inserts? Love the color choices.

Thanks! Marco has a good selection, but I included mine in a big order from Pinballlife.com. Prices are comparable (they're a few cents each, but it adds up quick!) I know Steve at PBR carries them as well.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Would any Flash owners be able to take four of the plastics, trace them on a piece of paper (including post holes), scan it at full size and email it to me? I'd need:
- the plastics on both sides of the upper lanes
- the plastic between the lower pop and the 3-bank of drops
- the larger piece on the lower right that surrounds the kick out hole.
Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Before the Balls of Steel scan site went away I grabbed everything off the site.
They only had a scan of the FLASH target decals and ONE scan of a few small plastics, but it has everything you need except the large one around the kickout hole. Not sure if it's correct scale, but a test print will let you know.
PM me your email and I'll send it to you by email or wetransfer.
I hope someone will take a few minutes to scan the large one off their game for you.

You're doing an awesome job on an awesome project and I am happy to help

Best,
Spencer

#121 3 years ago

This is impressive! I've owned two Flash's, never liked the artwork that much, what a great re-theme.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Thanks! Marco has a good selection, but I included mine in a big order from Pinballlife.com. Prices are comparable (they're a few cents each, but it adds up quick!) I know Steve at PBR carries them as well.

Awesome, thanks!

1 week later
#123 3 years ago

I'm back from ReplayFX! More importantly, it's now been six weeks since I finished spraying the clearcoat so the playfield should be fully cured and ready for sanding.

P7290234_(resized).JPG

P7290236_(resized).JPG

P7290237_(resized).JPG

P7290238_(resized).JPG

P7290240_(resized).JPG

P7300241_(resized).JPG

P7300244_(resized).JPG

P7300245_(resized).JPG

#124 3 years ago

Here's the sanded playfield.

P7300246_(resized).JPG

#125 3 years ago

Looks fantastic! Hate to sound picky but I'd like to see the other band members on the pf. Great use of Freddie and the Red Special.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Looks fantastic! Hate to sound picky but I'd like to see the other band members on the pf. Great use of Freddie and the Red Special.

May, Taylor and Deacon will all have prominent places on the plastics.

#127 3 years ago

Now for the final polish and buff with liquid abrasives.

P7300247_(resized).JPG

P7300248_(resized).JPG

P7300249_(resized).JPG

#128 3 years ago

A coat of carnuba paste wax, and you can see the clear reflection of my light fixture and the blinds from across the room.

P7300250_(resized).JPG

P7300251_(resized).JPG

#129 3 years ago

Wow, that is some absolutely spectacular artwork. Very, very good job! Can't wait to see future updates and the finished product.

Brad

#130 3 years ago

very impressed. Keep up the great work.

#132 3 years ago

This is really amazing stuff. From one huge Queen fan to another:

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This is really amazing stuff. From one huge Queen

#134 3 years ago

A-hole.

#135 3 years ago

Beautiful, really nice work, very impressive.

#136 3 years ago

Nice job, looks good.

Can't believe the Flash-hate though, although it's typical. Love the artwork all around on Flash. One of my favorites. I realize I'm a minority, but I think it's great, it's obviously from a different time period. Nice layout of the art though (really nice), can't wait to see a video of it in play.

#137 3 years ago

Time for another cost update.

Playfield: $250
Marco Order #1: $34.99
Pinball Life order #1: $20.35
Marco Order #2: $54.18
Donor game: $400
Clearcoat & hardener: $126.38*
Playfield graphics: $86.14
Clearcoating supplies: $123.98
Veneer: 20.91
Cabinet decals: 301.74
Pinball Life order #2: 210.78
Titan Pinball order: $61.17

Total: $1690.62

#139 3 years ago

The re-population has begun.

I've also printed my plastic shapes on cardstock, cut them out, and have been tailoring them to the playfield, shaving off a bit here, widening a bit there. Pinsider Miracleman helped me with the smaller plastics, but I had to create that big lower right piece from scratch and it's taken to longest to get the shape just right.

P7310252_(resized).JPG

P8040268_(resized).JPG

#140 3 years ago

Here's a quandry I could use some help with. The playfield brackets that hang on the lock bar and secure the apron in place don't line up with the slots and gaps - it's the only drawback to putting a Williams playfield in a Bally body. Now the glass won't go on and the lockbar won't latch.

I could re-drill holes on the left one and re-mount the bracket to line up with the lock bar, but the trough solenoid is in the way of the right one. Would it be better to:

1. Install a proper Williams lockbar (would that even work in a Bally body)?

2. Cut off the tops of the brackets so the playfield rests on the interior rails, rather than hanging onto the lockbar?

3. Get a custom bracket made that bolts into the current holes, turns a corner and hangs in the lockbar slots? Where would one even get such a piece made?

Any other ideas are welcome. Priorities in order are: 1. Effective 2. Cheap 3. Easy.

P8040267_(resized).JPG

#141 3 years ago

Easiest: drill new holes in the playfield to adjust for position of brackets (if there's room)
Best solution: Buy a williams lockdown bar. Don't know if the mounting holes are the same, but it will fit (who cares if there are extra holes, you won't see them)

Option 2 is the worst idea

#142 3 years ago

This is SO GOOD! Great job! If there ever was an official Queen pinball id be on the list for one immediately!

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Easiest: drill new holes in the playfield to adjust for position of brackets (if there's room)
Best solution: Buy a williams lockdown bar. Don't know if the mounting holes are the same, but it will fit (who cares if there are extra holes, you won't see them)
Option 2 is the worst idea

I can move the left bracket, but there's stuff in the way of the right one. Buying a Williams lockbar might be the simplest solution. My only concern there is if it will screw into the cabinet the same way.

What about cutting new holes and gaps into the existing lockbar?

#144 3 years ago

If you're going to cut new slits into the bally lockbar, I would mark each side of the bracket, drill a hole on each end, THEN dremel the slot. That will make for a fairly clean cut

#145 3 years ago

The re-population continues! I replaced the 70's style flipper assemblies with more modern systems. To make room for the upper flipper, I had to move one of the lamp sockets, so I'll have to get a flex-light to reach into that spot. All the topside pop bumper parts are new, but I discovered that I have only one complete set of parts for below deck, so I've attached what I can and will have to start yet another shopping list for the rest. But the top is looking good.

P8060278_(resized).JPG

P8060279_(resized).JPG

P8060280_(resized).JPG

#146 3 years ago

Bonus! I had the idea to attach a 6 volt battery to the GI line and got a little preview of things to come.

P8060282_(resized).JPG

P8050274_(resized).JPG

P8050276_(resized).JPG

#147 3 years ago

Fantastic !!!

When can I order mine

#148 3 years ago

Last week (back in post #140) I wrote about a problem with the Williams playfield hangers not lining up with the Bally lockbar. I considered drilling new holes or replacing the lockbar system... then a hero stepped forward.

Pinsider Mk1Mod0 of Third Coast Pinball came to the rescue. I sent him all the measurements required for a custom adapter bracket and a mirror-finish masterpiece showed up in my mailbox today. It is gorgeous and it works PERFECTLY!

If you ever need custom parts like this fabricated, I highly recommend that you send Mk1Mod0 a PM - it's quick and easy and the results are spectacular.

WmsToBallyBracket.pdf

P8120301_(resized).JPG

P8120302_(resized).JPG

P8120303_(resized).JPG

#149 3 years ago

It's not just the playfield I'm re-theming in this project - it's also the cabinet.

Actually, this is the second time this cabinet has been re-purposed. Years after it rolled off the Bally line, it was painted black and re-themed with a conversion kit. When I got it, the machine was still working and sturdy, if a little dinged up.

With the rails off and some of the original finish exposed, who can correctly tell me what game this cabinet originally housed?

P8070283_(resized).JPG

P8080290_(resized).JPG

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

It's not just the playfield I'm re-theming in this project - it's also the cabinet.
Actually, this is the second time this cabinet has been re-purposed. Years after it rolled off the Bally line, it was painted black and re-themed with a conversion kit. When I got it, the machine was still working and sturdy, if a little dinged up.
With the rails off and some of the original finish exposed, who can correctly tell me what game this cabinet originally housed?

Playboy?

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 50.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 11.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 376 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside