DE6C031C-64D1-4BA7-BF11-7784994AA6AC (resized).jpeg
IMG_1746 (resized).JPG
shooter (resized).JPG
IMG_1745 (resized).JPG
IMG_1744 (resized).JPG
IMG_1743 (resized).JPG
IMG_1741 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I put a N.O.S. plunger lane guide in my Flash and have been unable to adjust it correctly. Shots either hit the upper left "guard" post, or nick off the third flipper. If you have a Flash, would you post a photo of your lane guide adjustment setting from above, along with any words of advice?

p.s. Does the placement of the gate (i.e., toward the top or bottom of the playfield) affect the ball's trajectory?

This is what mine looks like:

IMG_1741 (resized).JPGIMG_1741 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I put a N.O.S. plunger lane guide in my Flash and have been unable to adjust it correctly. Shots either hit the upper left "guard" post, or nick off the third flipper. If you have a Flash, would you post a photo of your lane guide adjustment setting from above, along with any words of advice?
p.s. Does the placement of the gate (i.e., toward the top or bottom of the playfield) affect the ball's trajectory?
This is what mine looks like:
[quoted image]

Make sure your game is leveled/set to the desired playfield angle before doing the fine tuning. I no longer have a Flash but remember having to tweak the inlane adjustment when I restored and reinstalled the PF.

#3 3 years ago

If it is hitting other flipper, then obviously we need to move plunger guide rail to the left.
Is the upper left "guard" post you speak of the metal mini post between the outer left orbit and the inner left orbit?
If so, then getting more left-trajectory would avoid that as well.
It looks like you may have a bit more leftward adjustment available in that posted screw slot.

My plunger guide rail looks to be screwed in about as far left as the slot will allow.

My plunge goes into the outer left orbit, not the inner left orbit FYI.

Gate position should not matter, but it shouldn't change the ball's path (I assume gate is loosely hanging and does not impede speed much either?). Another thing you can do is take a slow-mo video using cell phone to watch for any unfavorable rattling in the plunger lane before it exits. Plunger tip centered? Hitting the gate problematically on the way out?

Setting playfield angle can also affect your trajectory as sixpakmopar says, so it is a good idea to set playfield angle first the way you like it - as well as ensure it is level left-to-right. While you are at it, clean and wax the playfield as ball speed will also affect how it enters the orbit. Shooter spring stiffness will also affect ball speed and orbit entry, so ensure you like your plunger spring before proceeding. (I'm not sure if this is a new project or an existing game of yours).

If you need more "left" than the slot would allow, you could as a last resort: mount rail further left using new hole in playfield (*gasp*) through upper, small hole in rail mount. Or (*double gasp*) bend last inch or so of rail as needed.

How about a picture of your full playfield so we can see 3rd flipper and the orbit entrance - just in case something odd is present there.

#4 3 years ago

Here's what the playfield looks like from above:IMG_1743 (resized).JPGIMG_1743 (resized).JPG
Here's a closer view of the adjustment slot. It appears this metal guide is about 1/8" toward the top of the playfield, as compared to the machine screw hole:IMG_1744 (resized).JPGIMG_1744 (resized).JPG
The original plunger guide bracket on this game had been filed to align with the hole, but that bracket broke. I wonder if I could move the spiral nail holes in the wood, or "oval" them to allow the whole bracket to move toward the plunger that 1/8"?IMG_1745 (resized).JPGIMG_1745 (resized).JPG

#5 3 years ago

Close scrutiny reveals that the ball isn't following the curve of the guide - it's hitting it hard and reflecting off, never touching the last portion of the guide. It seems like moving the whole guide toward the plunger, and imparting a bit more curve (OK, bending it) might help.

#6 3 years ago

Look at the uppermost nail. It looks like it could be inserted further to allow the steel to follow the original wear markings in the shooter lane.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Look at the uppermost nail. It looks like it could be inserted further to allow the steel to follow the original wear markings in the shooter lane.

Good observation! Believe it or not, the original had that nail less deep, allowing the guide to "fade" out into the ball path sooner. I think pounding the nail in farther (as I did when installing the new guide) makes for a harder hit when the ball gets to the guide.

I loosened that nail a bit and taped a little rubber lip on the very end of the ball guide and the plunger shot is suddenly OK - even allowing for subtleties of shots. The top of the guide could possibly be bent to do the same thing, but I got into this problem by way of a broken bracket. I'm reluctant to do much metal bending that near the new bracket, so I may clean up the little inner-tube installation and see how long it lasts.

I'll post a photo later.

#8 3 years ago

Per the Flash manual - once its perfect, put a wood screw in one of the extra holes.
My shooter is set for: soft plunge to five bank, mid plunge to top lanes and full plunge completes loop to top right flipper.

shooter (resized).JPGshooter (resized).JPG
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Good observation! Believe it or not, the original had that nail less deep, allowing the guide to "fade" out into the ball path sooner. I think pounding the nail in farther (as I did when installing the new guide) makes for a harder hit when the ball gets to the guide.
I loosened that nail a bit and taped a little rubber lip on the very end of the ball guide and the plunger shot is suddenly OK - even allowing for subtleties of shots. The top of the guide could possibly be bent to do the same thing, but I got into this problem by way of a broken bracket. I'm reluctant to do much metal bending that near the new bracket, so I may clean up the little inner-tube installation and see how long it lasts.
I'll post a photo later.

Maybe the line I was seeing is where the metal was originally resting on the PF and you pulling it out was the proper fix.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Per the Flash manual - once its perfect, put a wood screw in one of the extra holes.
My shooter is set for: soft plunge to five bank, mid plunge to top lanes and full plunge completes loop to top right flipper.[quoted image]

My inner-tube rubber fix now allows the three plunges you describe.IMG_1746 (resized).JPGIMG_1746 (resized).JPG If it doesn't prove durable, I'll figure out a way to bend the metal a bit. The original operator of this game had done just what your manual quote suggested - put a wood screw in to lock the bracket in place. Unfortunately, the bracket broke. This game spent 1979-1986 in a state college arcade and that bracket must've taken a lot of pounding!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Maybe the line I was seeing is where the metal was originally resting on the PF and you pulling it out was the proper fix.

Yeah, it may be. Based on those lines etched into the playfield, I think this metal guide would be better 1/8" closer to the plunger, but if I can get it to work without taking it apart and filing the nail holes, it'll do.

Thanks for the advice!

#12 3 years ago

Just found this post. Here is a photo of mine. Let me know if you need any more pictures.

DE6C031C-64D1-4BA7-BF11-7784994AA6AC (resized).jpegDE6C031C-64D1-4BA7-BF11-7784994AA6AC (resized).jpeg

#13 3 years ago

Thanks, Stephan - that helps. My bracket resides about 1/8" toward the top of the playfield compared to yours (manufacturing variance?). Balls like to hit the 3rd flipper. I think I may file the spiral-nail holes to allow the guide to mount 1/8" toward the plunger.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Thanks, Stephan - that helps. My bracket resides about 1/8" toward the top of the playfield compared to yours (manufacturing variance?). Balls like to hit the 3rd flipper. I think I may file the spiral-nail holes to allow the guide to mount 1/8" toward the plunger.

Glad to help! Funny thing, taking that picture got me to start replacing the rubbers and cleaning the playfield a bit. See what you started!

I just found out yesterday that my boards, that Chris repaired, will be shipping soon so it was a great excuse to start ramping up the effort to get the game ready.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Glad to help! Funny thing, taking that picture got me to start replacing the rubbers and cleaning the playfield a bit. See what you started!

Bent minds think alike?

3 weeks later
#16 3 years ago

OK, I filed the spiral nail holes in the metal to oval, allowing the entire plunger guide to move roughly 1/16-1/8" toward the plunger. Then I gently curved the upper portion of the guide (the part above the "L" bracket spot welded onto the guide). It came with that portion nearly straight. Reinstalling the spiral nails, I left the top one not pounded all the way in, which allows the metal guide to start curving the ball's path earlier.

Once the guide was reinstalled, adjusted and tested, I made a new hole for the tiny screw which makes the angle setting permanent. Now I can plunge the ball softly and pick off individual drop targets, plunge it "medium" and get to the upper rollovers, and plunge it hard and orbit around to the upper right flipper. Plus, the ball never hits the tip of that flipper on the way out of the plunger guide, as it did before.

Boy, does it ever make the game more fun when you can select a skill shot!

IMG_1762 (resized).JPGIMG_1762 (resized).JPGIMG_1763 (resized).JPGIMG_1763 (resized).JPGIMG_1764 (resized).JPGIMG_1764 (resized).JPG
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

OK, I filed the spiral nail holes in the metal to oval, allowing the entire plunger guide to move roughly 1/16-1/8" toward the plunger. Then I gently curved the upper portion of the guide (the part above the "L" bracket spot welded onto the guide). It came with that portion nearly straight. Reinstalling the spiral nails, I left the top one not pounded all the way in, which allows the metal guide to start curving the ball's path earlier.
Once the guide was reinstalled, adjusted and tested, I made a new hole for the tiny screw which makes the angle setting permanent. Now I can plunge the ball softly and pick off individual drop targets, plunge it "medium" and get to the upper rollovers, and plunge it hard and orbit around to the upper right flipper. Plus, the ball never hits the tip of that flipper on the way out of the plunger guide, as it did before.
Boy, does it ever make the game more fun when you can select a skill shot!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like I’m going to need to adjust mine a little as well. Mine is inconsistent. Many times on a full plunge it nicks the top target on the left bank instead of looping around to the top.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Looks like I’m going to need to adjust mine a little as well. Mine is inconsistent. Many times on a full plunge it nicks the top target on the left bank instead of looping around to the top.

Hi Stephan,

I'm sure you've figured out the adjustment mechanism, but in case not, all you have to do initially is remove playfield glass and fit a screwdriver down the hole in the long plastic at the top of the plunger lane. You can do some adjusting without having to physically alter the metal as I ended up doing.

Greg

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hi Stephan,
I'm sure you've figured out the adjustment mechanism, but in case not, all you have to do initially is remove playfield glass and fit a screwdriver down the hole in the long plastic at the top of the plunger lane. You can do some adjusting without having to physically alter the metal as I ended up doing.
Greg

Yeah, I see that. I haven’t made an adjustment yet. Looking at the photo I sent you it appears as if I can slide the bracket a little to the right to make the ball release a little higher on the playfield. If I look closely at the photo I see what appears to be a washer impression where it used to be a little further to the right. I also see a black screw head above the adjustment point to lock it down. I just wonder if I need to loosen or remove that black headed screw. I think I’ll try loosening the silver screw and see if I can pivot the bracket a little without disturbing the black screw. If not, then I’ll try loosening the black screw a bit. If that fails I’ll remove the black screw temporarily to make the adjustment.

Suggestions?

F0BEE751-3DC4-4D43-8BC6-326E8B0BCEA7 (resized).jpegF0BEE751-3DC4-4D43-8BC6-326E8B0BCEA7 (resized).jpeg
#20 3 years ago

You'll probably need to remove the black screw. If you return the guide to the indented washer location and like how it works, you can always drill a little hole for the black "lock" screw in one of the other 2 little holes in the guide.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

You'll probably need to remove the black screw. If you return the guide to the indented washer location and like how it works, you can always drill a little hole for the black "lock" screw in one of the other 2 little holes in the guide.

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot when I have some time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-plunger-lane-guide-help-please?hl=clodpole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.