Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3517 (resized).JPG
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_3516 (resized).JPG
IMG_3515 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

just got a pinball has a project and was wondering what it means by the cpu board having two red lights that come on when it boots up.

IMG_3515 (resized).JPGIMG_3515 (resized).JPGIMG_3516 (resized).JPGIMG_3516 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Hi. Is the manual available? If not, a copy can be downloaded from here:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/871/Williams_1978_Flash_Manual_March_1979_no_schematics.pdf

Start on the lower half of page 22 for troubleshooting that LED sequence.

#3 3 years ago

okay , i looked over that and it said to check things on table 13 , but the only thing i am unsure about is what 3d6 and 3d7 are.
nexr , it says to remove driver board from cpu board which means all cables including the 40 pin connecter at the top?

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

They are diodes on the power supply board.
Verify voltages are as shown on Table #4, manual page 21.

#5 3 years ago

...and the 40 pin connector is the interconnect between the CPU and Driver boards.

#6 3 years ago

are the 3d6 and 3d7 the diodes beside the power plugs from the transformer ? could not find power supply schematics in the manual.

IMG_3517 (resized).JPGIMG_3517 (resized).JPG
#7 3 years ago

There is a separate manual with schematics and layouts. Stellar Wars & Flash use the same PS:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2372/Williams_1979_Stellar_Wars_Schematics_February_1979_low_resolution_and_bleached_paginated.pdf

#8 3 years ago

measured 3J6 , there is 12+v unregulated output but no voltage on the 5 volt pins.

#9 3 years ago

okay i changed the fuse on f5 and it now show between 3 to 4 volts on the 3J6 vdc pins , but that not enough voltage is it?

#12 3 years ago

how do i measure the 5v transistor LM323K to see if its causing low voltage?

#13 3 years ago

i cleaned the connecters and it is getting 5v now but now showing no lights on the cpu board.

#14 3 years ago

okay now the 12+v unregulated is now 9 volts , so i think i will need to change the fuse holders and reflow solder joints because after getting a better look at it after taking it out , the fuse holders are rusted and solder joints look cracked or corroded.

#15 3 years ago

the 2 red leds came back on after testing the volts again which are normal (12v and 5v). it was the fuse clip that was causing the low voltage
i already took the driver board out and tested just the cpu board and it still shows the same 2 red leds locked on.
i think the only solution is get to get a new cpu board and driver board. Is the rottendog mpu327 any good? i cant find one in stock.

#16 3 years ago

the only other thing it could be is that there is a flipper coil where the wiring broke off the solder joints , would that cause the mpu not to boot?

#17 3 years ago

First thing to do is get that40 pin connector replaced on driver board and the cpu board.

1 week later
#18 3 years ago

the voltages from the power board seem normal , it the cpu mpu that i cant find the problem with.
i tried it with the driver board removed and it still does not blink . i think its all the rusted ic chips and corroded solder joints on the board that are causing the problem but i just don't have the skills to replace ic chips.
i think i going to get a new mpu like the rottendog mpu 327. is it any good? been trying to find one in stock.

#19 3 years ago

pinballpcb.com has the best replacement system 3-7 boards.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

the voltages from the power board seem normal , it the cpu mpu that i cant find the problem with.
i tried it with the driver board removed and it still does not blink . i think its all the rusted ic chips and corroded solder joints on the board that are causing the problem but i just don't have the skills to replace ic chips.
i think i going to get a new mpu like the rottendog mpu 327. is it any good? been trying to find one in stock.

Don’t get the rottendog. Although I have 3 machines running them and they have been working for years with no problems there are a few glitches and missing speech. With no support now I wouldn’t recommend. I can 100% recommend pinballpcb sound/speech boards and their mpu is probably great too.

#21 3 years ago

okay , i may get the pinballpcb.com replacement boards . i will get the cpu board first and then get the driver board if the original one does not work.
is there any way to test if driver board is working without a working cpu board.?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-pinball-wont-boot-?hl=nplg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.