IMG_5873 (resized).jpg
IMG_5875 (resized).jpg
IMG_5874 (resized).jpg
IMG_6212 (resized).jpg
E6F140BE-9B08-482F-85F0-F2BABE917375 (resized).jpeg
20221129_190714 (resized).jpg
20221129_190226 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reconsider59.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#253 4 years ago

(cross-posting this here, from a general topic in the Tech section that doesn't seem to have gotten noticed! hoping you fellow Flash-owners can assist!)

Hey y’all,

Got a Williams Flash with a new Rottendog MPU, and Pinscore installed.

I can’t get to the settings, or start a game. The Auto-Up and advance switches don’t seem to do anything. Turning the game off and on over and over will make the credit # keep going up...and then pressing Start will drop the #, one by one, along with a sound...but that’s it.

Below is a link to a video of what’s going on. Any help greatly appreciated!

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

(cross-posting this here, from a general topic in the Tech section that doesn't seem to have gotten noticed! hoping you fellow Flash-owners can assist!)
Hey y’all,
Got a Williams Flash with a new Rottendog MPU, and Pinscore installed.
I can’t get to the settings, or start a game. The Auto-Up and advance switches don’t seem to do anything. Turning the game off and on over and over will make the credit # keep going up...and then pressing Start will drop the #, one by one, along with a sound...but that’s it.
Below is a link to a video of what’s going on. Any help greatly appreciated!

Responding to my own topic, ha.

I was able to change things a little—now, I can get the game going, and start a game, but I still can't seem to access the diagnostics?

Anyone have experience with Rottendog MPU327s? It didn't really come with a manual describing if there are unique ways that I'm supposed to interface with it, and following the instructions in the FLASH manual aren't yielding any results. It's like the switches on the inside of the coin door do absolutely nothing.

I'm going to try to trace the wires and make sure everything's connected in the right way, but if anyone has any ideas, they're appreciated!

...after this, there are a LOT of things to get fixed up on this guy, hoooooooboy...but amazingly, most of the GI and switches seem to be working!!!

4 months later
#287 4 years ago

...anyone know the correct tension for the shooter spring?

3 months later
#319 4 years ago

Hey y'all,

Finally got my Flash PLAYABLE, and it's a blast to shoot!

I do have a couple weird things that aren't working, though, and I'm not sure why:

- the blue Flash crescent never goes off
- the ascending tone never happens (I've seen it in videos...it doesn't happen on mine)

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Congratulations on fixing the machine.
I had an issue with the blue flash crescent, in my case, one of the bulbs was burnt out, this will cause the whole thing to fail as they are connected, so make sure both bulbs and all connectors are good.
For the background tone, you need to set one of the software options for this to be 'on'. Check the manual for the correct setting and note the ROM type you are using.
Good luck!

Thanks for this! Going to get a couple of LEDs for the bulbs, and I'm ordering the 1 ohm resistor in case that's jacked up, too. Does anyone know, is there a schematic somewhere for that board on the underside of the playfield that controls these lights?

I'll look into the tone setting, too, thank you; I didn't realize it was a setting!

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Cool, just note you do not want the warming resistor with LED. See:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-killed-the-flashers
Also maybe check voltages to see if it is just a loose connector (if the bulbs are ok).
I believe the schematic is in the manual you can DL off of ipdb.

Awesome; yeah, I found that thread earlier, and that's a good note about the warming resistor.

The schematic, as far as I can tell, is actually not in the manual, although admittedly I'm new to reading schematics and whatnot, and maybe I'm just totally missing it. If anyone has a page # for me to check, it'd be appreciated. Thanks for all the advice!

1 week later
#325 4 years ago

Hey again, everyone—new problem developed...

The right flipper is strangely weak, and will often do a "double-flip" kind of reaction when activated (I have a video I could share, if that doesn't make sense; basically, it'll quickly activate/deactivate/reactivate).

I've read the Vid thread about adjustments to the leaf switch gap, and how they should be set up, but setting the closed switch to open to exactly 1/8" when the plunger is fully depressed upon activation of the solenoid hasn't helped. Any recommendation on what ELSE could be wrong? Or is it possible the new switch that I put on is bad, in some way?

Not sure if it means anything, but there's a noticeable hum when the right flipper is activated that isn't there when the left is activated. It's not always the same hum, either, from flip to flip. Unsure if this is relevant, but thought I'd mention it.

Attaching a couple photos, in case they can shed any light on what might be wrong.

Thanks, as always, y'all.

IMG_6597 (resized).jpgIMG_6597 (resized).jpgIMG_6598 (resized).jpgIMG_6598 (resized).jpg
#327 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Hmm, if the EOS on both right flippers is good, maybe check the switch on the right button? just make sure the contacts are really clean and fully engaged with the button?

Yeah, I've replaced that switch, too; brand new, seems to be making the connection fine!

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Hmm, I have a hacky switch on my right flipper, but that switch stack you have looks odd to me.
I'm thinking the lower leaf should be bent toward the middle, so that the first switches are separated closer to the actual EOS?

I'll give this a try...appreciate your advice! Will check back once I can mess around with it...

4 weeks later
#352 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

A question: do the Flash lamps (under the blue "Flash" crescent mid-playfield) flash in attract mode?

...I believe mine do!

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

I'll give this a try...appreciate your advice! Will check back once I can mess around with it...

Finally getting around to letting koji know that bending the switch stack out a bit (so the first connection is broken more at the end of the plunger's action) seems to have worked. I do still get a good amount of hum, which is annoying, but it works! Thanks, @koji!

Some new questions:

1. the game has now started awarding score just for hitting the flipper. not sure what that's about! how to diagnose? totally new problem...

2. this might have to do with the previous issue in q1, but sometimes the game will just keep racking up points, for no apparent reason. I can't find a switch stuck on, and it only happens after playing a ball for a while. it'll stop once you drain. I think I might just be hitting something in the course of play that gets stuck on, and the machine is smart enough to know to STOP scoring it once the ball drains...but it doesn't just keep racking up points on the next ball right away. I think the next step is to go through and hit switch after switch to see if it starts the problem up, but does anyone have any experience/ideas on what might be happening there?

3. as mentioned above, I think the flippers feel weak. maybe it's just because I'm not used to this era of game, but I feel like there should be a bit more oomph. I've read Vid's guide, and I think I've adjusted things properly, but just to double-check, is there anything else I could use a meter on to see if maybe it's not getting enough voltage? not sure what to check, or what I'm looking for, or how...

4. does anyone know where to get SW-1A-133, which is the switch for the star rollovers? I can't find them anywhere...

5. because of the "constantly racking up score" issue, the score has rolled over on a game I "played"...however, the "highest score" is still a legit 800k score I've had when the game was playing more or less normally. does anyone know, does Flash not retain rolled scores? I've got a Rottendog MPU in there, as well as Pinscore LCD displays. I just find it strange that there's no indication that the score has rolled...

Any and all help appreciated, as always, thanks y'all!

2 months later
#418 3 years ago

Hey everyone,

At a loss for figuring out just what’s causing this “flipper causes scoring” issue on my Flash.

When I hit the left flipper, it scores 1k. When I hit the right, it scores 2k or 3k.

I can’t see any crossed wires or anything...nothing else on the playfield is happening (not advancing bonus or anything).

Any ideas?

1 week later
#423 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

You could have some leaf switches which are adjusted too tightly and the vibration of the flipper is triggering them. Try tapping the PF with your fist (careful - don't break anything) - you are trying to shock the PF in a similar way as the flipper vibration to see if you can ever see false scoring. I if your can cause a false score event that would point to a leaf switch adjustment.

Thanks for this! Indeed, that is totally what was happening. It was strange that it was scoring so haphazardly, and I couldn't figure out why NOTHING ELSE was happening on the playfield...it's because I've played the game so little, and didn't realize that the inner-left-rollover just scores 1k, and that's it. It was somehow scoring once with the left flipper, and two or three times with the right.

Appreciate the help!

Now I think I need to replace the power supply, because after playing for a little while, the game just resets—no tilts or anything, just resets back to the "game over" attract mode. Everything I've found while searching says there's an issue with the 5V power...not sure how to fix that, really, other than replace the board...unless anyone has advice?

Thanks much.

2 weeks later
#434 3 years ago

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop in with an update that my Flash is almost fully operational now, thanks to everyone's advice! Special thanks to @koji, @slochar, and Pizzaman13 for their responses to my sometimes inane questions.

Really appreciate y'all!

1 year later
#717 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Upgrade to the later one piece style. You do have to modify the upper right flipper base slightly to fit.

I did this, too, and I much prefer how it plays now. "Vid's Guide to Rebuilding Flippers" has clear and easy instructions on how to upgrade. Worth it!

1 year later
#944 62 days ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I am looking for this gate coming out of the shooter lane. Does anyone have one in excellent condition or new? Where could I purchase one new? I've searched via part number, but I'm not coming up with it anywhere as a new/repro item.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Marco: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6511
Action Pinball: https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=12-6511

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reconsider59.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial?tu=reconsider59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.