IMG_5873 (resized).jpg
IMG_5875 (resized).jpg
IMG_5874 (resized).jpg
IMG_6212 (resized).jpg
E6F140BE-9B08-482F-85F0-F2BABE917375 (resized).jpeg
20221129_190714 (resized).jpg
20221129_190226 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#289 4 years ago

Woo excited to join the club. I picked up a project flash last week. Played it quite a bit at tournaments and just love the sounds and layout.

To the end, I know this comes up quite a bit but it seems I've never played a flash with a repeatable loop shot. Any clues to what is invoked with this or why this may be? Wondering if anyone has any setup clues that may help, as I'd be pretty happy to get this shot going.. Don't expect it to be easy, but I understand it was part of the design.

Thank you.

82081016_789561044845968_5855163682949955584_n (resized).jpg82081016_789561044845968_5855163682949955584_n (resized).jpg
1 month later
#293 4 years ago

Hi Flash group, I believe I have an issue with my upper 3-bank drop target.

Basically, when I hit 1+2, it scores the bank and resets without 3.

If I hit 3, it counts and scores.

I think the wiring might be tampered with, so I was wondering if anyone had a photo, or would not mind taking a photo of the bottom of the 3-bank for me?

--------------------

The other thing I was wondering is that I know I have played a flash where you had to complete the left drop bank twice before the 1k spinner lights. I see there is a liberal and conservative setting, but this doesn't seem to be included?

Thank you-

#296 4 years ago

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your help. Yes the wire was soldered one terminal over, your photo REALLY helped.

----------

For anyone who wants to make the 3 drops 'easier', here's how you do it.. lol.

20200216_114918 (resized).jpg20200216_114918 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from algum123:

I had the same issue with my Flash, the center flash insert really is not much. I originally went to brighter LED replacements, and even added a 3rd one, but still not enough. I then added a strobe light on the top of the machine to fire at the same time: This was something I occasionally saw on location back when Flash first came out, but that was still not enough. I finally after a fair amount of hacking wired in an EnerGI Maestro, and now all the GI flashes.

Man, that actually sounds insane. When I think of all the GI flashing, I think of blackout, but with the extra flashing, and frequency, I'll bet this is quite a bit cooler.

Any videos of this to share? I'd be curious how you hooked up the strobe as well.

--------------

On another note:
Very happy to have my flash working again, it was working fine, and I was cleaning it up a bit, when it decided to no longer start properly. I guess at some point the ram just decided to die... just so confusing when you are working on the machine, to have something just go like that. sigh_.

Anyway, very glad for the excuse to finally get the NVRam in anyway

20200223_235916 (resized).jpg20200223_235916 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#307 4 years ago

Hello, I've been reading about a circuit to add a strobe light as a topper. I was wondering if anyone could share the method / way that they wired this up?

Thank you-

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from algum123:

I know back in the day when they first came out I occasionally saw a strobe on top; I think one of the amusement bussiness related magazines had a circuit described, not sure if it was ever officially supported by Williams, nor was I ever able to find out the details, but I did come up with something that works.
Originally I though of putting one together from individual parts, or modifying an of-the-shell unit to trigger it internally, but I was not comfortable dealing with the high voltages present and potentially exposing the rest of the electronics to damage. I suppose if you went with an LED strobe, rather than xenon, the risk would be much lower and easier to connect.
I eventually kind of cheated, but it works quite well: I got one of the old classic style box strobe units, and directly switched 120v line voltage to it on and off using an SSR (Solid State Relay), the top device in the photo (the lower regular relay is for the GI flashing). I hooked the bulbs under the flash insert to trigger the SSR, and ran 120v through the switched side to an outlet that the strobe lamp plugs into. Even though the 120v pulse is very short, the strobe charges up and fires so fast that even a brief pulse is enough to flash it several times. Not sure if all strobe units will work, but the simple one I got does. The unit has a dial to adjust the flash rate, and you can easily set a point where it almost always flashes just once, although you can change it to flash several times if you want a different effect.
The SSR I used requires a 5v supply to activate, since I wanted to only drive this when the game was active, not strobe all the time during atract mode. I don't remember the exact details how I did this, but I think I hooked up to the flipper relay somehow so that only when the flippers are active during a game is the relay enabled. If you want to always have the strobe flash, even in atract mode, you can use a simpler SSR that does not require extra 5v power.
A bit of hack, but it works quiet well. Not sure if this approach will shorten the life expectancy of the strobe, but I have been using it for years without trouble. At some point I need to record a video of how this looks and possibly wired up, including how I got all the GI to flash as well...

Interesting, thanks for the pics. Like you say, I would have expected too much delay, so it is great to know it can work just like that.

I was thining of trying to re-use an old camera flash. Thanks for the tip about the SSR working in this case. Did you use the mod board someone made up for the GI? Cant' recall the name now, or did you modify directly?

Thanks-

-Koji

2 weeks later
#315 4 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

When I raise the playfield and support it with the metal support built into the cabinet, my playfield crawls up on the right side and leans to the left. If I ignore it, it will actually fall on me.
Anybody else have that problem? Solve it?

That's odd, I am assuming you are using the recessed area for the prop rod (so it is not slipping under the PF), and also that the back of the PF is nearly all the way back on the rails against the backing under the head? (When I lift a PF like this, I would typically pull it out a couple of inches, raise it up and prop it, then carefully allow it to slide a bit back so that it is flush against the back. The only reason I pull it out slightly is to avoid damage to the back plastics). As far as falling, I don't see how this could happen unless part of the rail is broken, although this PF will flex more than most pinballs, as I don't believe the wood is as strong.

That said, I would never do much work like this, and it isn't good for the PF to leave it like this for any length of time. I would typically just pull it forward and raise it all the way up.

#318 4 years ago

My first gameplay video. Bit of a ghetto setup video-wise, but it's what I could cobble together

Hopefully it helps with some ideas of how the machine can be set up, so far as the repeatable loop goes, strafing the 3-bank targets, full plunge loops to third flipper etc. Thanks to this forum, it also has the strobe light mod, but not too visible in this video (Gotta love the room flashing up with the lightning tho)

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Hey y'all,
Finally got my Flash PLAYABLE, and it's a blast to shoot!
I do have a couple weird things that aren't working, though, and I'm not sure why:
- the blue Flash crescent never goes off
- the ascending tone never happens (I've seen it in videos...it doesn't happen on mine)
Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Congratulations on fixing the machine.

I had an issue with the blue flash crescent, in my case, one of the bulbs was burnt out, this will cause the whole thing to fail as they are connected, so make sure both bulbs and all connectors are good.

For the background tone, you need to set one of the software options for this to be 'on'. Check the manual for the correct setting and note the ROM type you are using.

Good luck!

#323 4 years ago

Thanks for this! Going to get a couple of LEDs for the bulbs, and I'm ordering the 1 ohm resistor in case that's jacked up, too. Does anyone know, is there a schematic somewhere for that board on the underside of the playfield that controls these lights?
I'll look into the tone setting, too, thank you; I didn't realize it was a setting!

Cool, just note you do not want the warming resistor with LED. See:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-killed-the-flashers

Also maybe check voltages to see if it is just a loose connector (if the bulbs are ok).

I believe the schematic is in the manual you can DL off of ipdb.

2 weeks later
#326 4 years ago

Hey again, everyone—new problem developed...
The right flipper is strangely weak, and will often do a "double-flip" kind of reaction when activated (I have a video I could share, if that doesn't make sense; basically, it'll quickly activate/deactivate/reactivate).
I've read the Vid thread about adjustments to the leaf switch gap, and how they should be set up, but setting the closed switch to open to exactly 1/8" when the plunger is fully depressed upon activation of the solenoid hasn't helped. Any recommendation on what ELSE could be wrong? Or is it possible the new switch that I put on is bad, in some way?
Not sure if it means anything, but there's a noticeable hum when the right flipper is activated that isn't there when the left is activated. It's not always the same hum, either, from flip to flip. Unsure if this is relevant, but thought I'd mention it.
Attaching a couple photos, in case they can shed any light on what might be wrong.
Thanks, as always, y'all.

Hmm, if the EOS on both right flippers is good, maybe check the switch on the right button? just make sure the contacts are really clean and fully engaged with the button?

#328 4 years ago

Hmm, I have a hacky switch on my right flipper, but that switch stack you have looks odd to me.

I'm thinking the lower leaf should be bent toward the middle, rather than the other way around, so basically, it is prematurely going EOS on your setup.

#329 4 years ago

Yeah, I've replaced that switch, too; brand new, seems to be making the connection fine!

Hmm, I have a hacky switch on my right flipper, but that switch stack you have looks odd to me.

I'm thinking the lower leaf should be bent toward the middle, so that the first switches are separated closer to the actual EOS?

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Hi, mine doesn't have the second pair of switches at all. That's not to say mine is original in configuration, but the flippers work.

The upper flipper should look like that, the lower right flipper should have a the additional switches.

To confirm, is that a photo of your lower right flipper? If so, I'd be curious to see how they are all wired, as it would definitely be a mod of some kind.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Yeah, lower right flipper. This game is a relatively early System 4 game, and that second set of switch blades is a "lane change" switch. I wonder if System 6 games got "lane change" and earlier games didn't?

No, the second switch set is connected to the third flipper in an OE set up. You must have some kind of modification on yours. I have read about it, curious to see the gameplay on yours, I like the idea of your set up better, just not sure of everything involved.

4 weeks later
#356 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

I have had my Flash for years. Always felt the flippers felt weaker than my other games. This weekend I finally did a flipper rebuild.
My flippers still feel weaker than my other games. Bummer.

What was included in the flipper rebuild? If you are still using the original full metal bracket flippers, I suggest changing over to the newer style without the metal bracket or_ check our some of the posts abotu cross drilling these. You can easily shave off ~30-40% of the weight, and this GREATLY improves the speed and responsiveness.

In addition, make sure the EOS is right at the VERY end of stroke for max power.

I suppose the tell in Flash is that you can really crank the spinner. If not, then adjust. The Sys4-6 flippers are notoriously weak due to low voltage, but when tuned properly, it should not be particularly noticeable.

#358 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a pic or Vid post that shows what “right” should look like?

Typically, I think they say to gap at 1/4". So under the PF, manually move the flipper all the way up, and see how wide the switches get pushed away. Make sure that they only separate when the flipper is nearly fully engaged. You may experiment with a slightly lesser gap as well, just know what you are doing, as this is how coils are killed as well.

1 month later
#373 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

Thanks joydivision that is excellent input. The Flash I am working on has both horseshoes installed. I should try tensioning them further, but am concerned they won't drop quickly (or reliably) if I go too far. I also used a thin film of PBR grease (Steve Young recommends it for EM style PCB/rivet contacts like this). Thanks for your feedback on the capacitors, it is really too bad they cause extra scoring as they solved the problem 100%.
slochar Interesting idea - Raising the voltage to 12V would help to eliminate false triggers like those you see in early Bally SS games when you press the flippers. Gottlieb, Bally and Williams all used 5V scanning in this era of games and every one I have worked on (other than this Flash) has scored reliably with the exception of Bally games with bad/missing capacitors.
The fundamental issue with this is that the targets are "EM Style" which have a target down park position (this is the series wired center solder points which triggers a bank reset) and a temporary "target falling" contact set which triggers scoring (these are the two outer solder points which are uniquely scanned for each target). If the target falls too fast for the scanning matrix to catch it, or if there is "contact bounce" where the contact is unreliable while the target is falling, the target won't score. On this Flash if I manually drop the targets with the PF vertical (pressing them with my finger to drop them) they score every time, but when the playfield is horizontal and the target is hit by a ball, they are falling faster and they won't score.
While researching this I saw a project in a different thread where folks were experimenting with two reed switches and gluing a magnet to the bottom of the target. Both reed switches would be closed when the target was in the down position and they tested this and found it worked. I don't own this Flash game and I don't feel comfortable with such a radical modification on a game I don't own - however I am tempted to layout a PCB if others want to have it fabricated and experiment on their games. I figure this had to work at one time from the factory - and replaced the horseshoes, guides and PCBs in frustration without success. Attaching a picture so you can see the Pinball Life PCBs and solder / wiring
The other aspect to this is the 1-2-3-4 are not 100% reliable either. If the ball is flown through the switch from the lower pop bumper then it often won't score. These switch stacks have all been cleaned, polished and I even reversed the incorrectly assembled contacts too. Which has me questing if this game has some problem in the MPU switch matrix like the 14xxx receiver.
Would enjoy discussing other ideas on this forum, this seems to be the biggest weak point (other than properly fusing BRs and solenoids and connector issues) on these games so whatever we can learn will help us all!

I have read about people upgrading to Gottlieb drops, and trust me, this would be an upgrade for sure, as the sys4-6 drop system is horrible, and the reason (as I have been informed), that firepower uses standups.

Anyway, not sure where you are located, I have basically a box of Flash parts from a PF strip. Not sure if you wanted to just replace the whole assembly, if that is even where part of the issue is, or if it is handy to have some drop boards to swap.. but I am in Surrey, Canada (In the offchance you are local to here).

Sorry, have not gone back through this whole thread, but I presume for testing purposes, you can wiggle some of them slightly and make contact, it is more of a reliability issue in actual gameplay? FWIW, I did not use any grease at all on my banks, and only slightly torqued the circuit boards for each drop so that they are secure, but only just so.

#376 3 years ago

Thanks for the generous offer koji I am located in the Boston area. At this point I have an extra set of guides, PCBs and Horseshoes after purchasing a new set to address this issue and finding the new parts perform identically to the original parts!
I have restored a dozen Gottlieb DT games and 100% agree with you their DT mechs are fantastic and by far my favorite. A Gottlieb EM set of DTs would work in this game (SS won't work because of the separate series wired "all drops dropped" switches). I have read of at least one Flash owner who installed Gottlieb DTs out of frustration and went back to the Williams DT because it changed the play so much for him and he missed the Williams feel (even though it is a pathetic design). Have read the same thing on FP - Steve Richey would have used DTs but they were so unreliable during testing that they used standups instead which was probably a good decision giving the parts Steve had available at the time.
I'll disassemble this again and add even more tension to these horseshoe pairs and see if that improves things and report back. My gut tells me there is something mysterious going in within the solenoid driver board (PIA, 7406 driver or 14xxx CMOS receivers) but I am trying to avoid touching the boards and causing more potential issues. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the guidance and discussion!

So when you have it in, powered on glass off, can you just try to wiggle the target? or even temp jump the connection to test that state?

I will say, once you have these drops dialed in, they are quite reliable in my experience. It's just getting them dialed in can be a pain :/.

#382 3 years ago

When the glass is off the targets will score if I drop them with my fingers every time, but if I hit them with a ball, then they don't reliably score. My guess is that it drops slower with my finger than the ball due to the difference in friction between the target face and the ball or my finger. It is good to hear these can be reliable which was one of the reasons I reached out to the Flash group - have never worked on a Williams game like this and was wondering if it was even possible to have reliable scoring .

So they score with touch, and they also reset when they are all down? They have a secondary connection on fully down as well.

I messed with the spring tension on mine as well.. never had any issue I could say related to speed etc. Do all the drops behave the same? that would be an odd symptom as well, but perhaps telling.

#390 3 years ago

I spoke too soon, after playing about a dozen games last night, Flash is back to scoring maybe 30% of the time on the drops. It is crazy, it was scoring nearly 100% with the glass off and flinging the ball with my hand! This thread has excellent recommendations so it is relevant to your game, but this Flash likely has a board set issue as some here have speculated. I'll be comparing this board set to a known working set soon and hope to find the root cause (interrupt trigger differences for switch scanning, etc). If I find a board issue, I'll report back here so others can learn from it. Stay tuned, it may take a few weeks. Good luck with your DTs!

Wow.. sorry to hear that. The drop mech is bad, but not that bad. The fact that it seems to be all of them, and not one or two in particular seems somewhat telling.

I recall reading that you had repinned everything.

Only other thing that comes to mind is I know sometimes with these boards, and particularly with a repin, maybe something is shorting a bit on the metal back plate?

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

Hi there! Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please let me know if I need to move it!
I picked up a Flash about a month ago that was mostly in decent condition. I cleaned and waxed it, put on new rubbers, new ball, cleaned the drop contacts and got them working correctly, reset the shooter rail angle to send the ball the right way, and last but not least replaced a busted rollover insert.
Anyway, after all that, I just don’t feel like the game is setup right? Perhaps it’s me just not being good at it? I understand the rule set and I can make the shots I need to make but it just feels like the game is designed to send the ball screaming down the drain or the ball is magnetized to the outlanes so most games last a handful of minutes. It’s super frustrating and I kinda regret buying it most nights I’m playing it.
I guess what I’m getting at is, what exactly is a “properly setup” Flash supposed to be? I see people throw that phrase around and never explain what it means. I have the shooter rail set according to the manual specs (half pull sends the ball up the figure eight path), table angle is at 3.5° like the manual says, the outlane posts are in the “conservative” position, and the flippers don’t feel particularly weak. Am I missing something?

Hmm.. 3.5" def won't play very fun for the modern day. Def recommend moving that up to at least 5 or 5.5>.

Flash is definitely not known for particularly long ball times, and the outlanes are hungry, however these are generally punishment for a missed shot etc, as it blasts off the slingshot.

I have to imagine the steeper pitch will allow you to better trap the ball with the flippers to make proper shots.

FWIW, here is a video I took of mine a while back. I was pretty pleased with being able to dial in a repeatable loop shot, among other little things.

2 weeks later
#412 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing that tip! Cool idea. The Flash game owner located someone who reproduced the guides with 3D printing and I installed those, but it would have been nice to use your idea too.
Today I was playing with the game adjustments (advance/manual switch) on the coin door and all of the sudden this Flash scored 100% for the for 10 games in a row, never missed one switch or drop target drop. It still has the Rottendog MPU327-4 in it. I can't explain how moving the toggle switch a few times would fix this game, it makes zero sense but it is scoring correctly every time now. Much more fun to play when it actually scores correctly. Did not remove the glass, move the PF or touch anything since the last time playing where it was not scoring reliably. Very mysterious, if I figure out the root cause I'll post back here. Enjoy your game!!!

Interesting. I do recall some weird behavior with what I thought might be a short around the coin door or the wiring from there. I wonder if it could all be related somehow. Anyway, I guess that is great news? It is a fun game for sure, great rules and flow.

3 months later
#471 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Do you know of a source for a new shooter lane ball guide (i.e., the curverd metal strip which guides the ball from the right shooter lane to the left upper playfield)? Mine broke its weld.

I should have one, I stripped a Flash PF a while back.. I can look for it later tonight if you still need one, I guess PM me?
Same for anyone needing flash PF parts

thanks-

2 weeks later
#480 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Wow, this game had been in service 15 years at that time! The one we have was thrown out by its operator after 8 years of service, and was thoroughly used up.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. Still interesting for sure. Love to see ths history. Too bad location was not listed.

2 weeks later
#495 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Anyone else soft plunge into the 5-bank for lit, roving target? Reminds me of T2 skill shot.

It's a fun option... but can be a bit risky if the game is set up to be difficult.

I had mine dialed in for a full plunge to get to the 3rd flipper.. could repeat a few times usually until sinking one of the top rollovers.

1 month later
#509 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I asked Lloyd Olson (of "Ask Lloyd" fame on the Pinside front page), and he said: "Boards sound good. I'd suspect aging connectors next. Might be time to replace them."

I had a short near the coin door that would cause ALL sorts of weird... particularly related to audio etc. maybe something to check.

11 months later
#633 2 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Picked up Rodent's game this weekend and happy to have another solid state in my small lineup. This is my first time really putting some time in on Flash and I love the layout, trying to get repeat upper loops gets addicting.
I may take a stab at writing new code for it in the future (using DickHamill's hardware + OS), if I ever get started on that I'll post up in here for suggestions/feedback.

Hard to imagine changing rules on flash.. I get ideas on a lot of other pins, but flash is pretty good out of the box.

Thought about lane changes maybe that came later with Firepower, but I think that would be a bit OP, so happy to just try to nudge the tops when needed.

8 months later
#736 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

that's how I have mine set up with the dipswitches -- quite an unsavory sound.
mof

It grows on you... especially when you are having a good ball, and that drone is whining away.. it's a great feeling!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.