IMG_5873 (resized).jpg
IMG_5875 (resized).jpg
IMG_5874 (resized).jpg
IMG_6212 (resized).jpg
E6F140BE-9B08-482F-85F0-F2BABE917375 (resized).jpeg
20221129_190714 (resized).jpg
20221129_190226 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#277 4 years ago

Just "rescued" this one from 25 years of solitary confinement. Do I need to do something to join this owners' club?

Flash (resized).JPGFlash (resized).JPG
#280 4 years ago

"#5293961">Congrats! I am up in the Bellingham area, working on mine. Let me know if I can help<

Thanks, Mark. For one thing, the stickum on the player score displays has failed. If you had that problem, how did you repair it? My displays are all hanging against the back side of the glass.

Greg

#282 4 years ago

All 4 of mine are loose, plus the main display has disintegrating sticky pads behind it from some later repair attempt.

Were you figuring on trying to de-gum the back of yours first, or just insert the carpet tape between the foam and the mounting pad on the circuit board? How delicate are the flexible pins along the bottom of the score units; can you pull the unit out a bit to get at the back side for cleaning?

I've only worked on EMs before, and most of their parts are stout!

IMG_1115 (resized).JPGIMG_1115 (resized).JPGIMG_1117 (resized).JPGIMG_1117 (resized).JPGIMG_1118 (resized).JPGIMG_1118 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#284 4 years ago

...well, to answer my own question, you slice through the foam with something sharp, then use alcohol to soak what remains and carefully scrape it off with a sharp blade. Once the back of the glass is clean and the green board is equally clean and free of residual sticky snot, you can use new double-stick foam tape to re-adhere it. The metal contact fingers allow enough leeway to get your finger or a chopstick in there with a piece of synthetic scrubber soaked in alcohol.

So far, I've done one score unit in about an hour and a half and it looks like it might've when it left the factory.

#286 4 years ago

...and further, it seems that heat (as in hairdryer on low) will encourage the double-sided tape to let go and peel off. Mostly that worked on the next 2 score units I cleaned, and reduced the total remaining gunk needing chemicals and scraping to remove. It's really hard to get all of that stuff off so that the new double-stick actually sticks!

I keep having to remind myself that this restoration is...

IMG_1121 (resized).JPGIMG_1121 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#288 4 years ago

Can you give more detail please? What do you mean "correct tension"?

If you're asking how long the shooter main spring should be, I just refurbished mine and the spring is just slightly longer than the shooter main shaft. I had to compress it to get the "E" retaining ring onto the shaft. So, the shooter spring is compressed some even when it's at rest.

3 months later
#314 4 years ago

When I raise the playfield and support it with the metal support built into the cabinet, my playfield crawls up on the right side and leans to the left. If I ignore it, it will actually fall on me.

Anybody else have that problem? Solve it?

#317 4 years ago

">That's odd, I am assuming you are using the recessed area for the prop rod (so it is not slipping under the PF), and also that the back of the PF is nearly all the way back on the rails against the backing under the head?"

Yeah - there are two vertical metal strips on the cabinet that the far end of the playfield rests against when it's lifted up; it seems to crawl up the right one and get increasingly cocked to the left. For now, I cut a broom handle and used it to prop up the left side.

2 weeks later
#331 4 years ago

Hi, mine doesn't have the second pair of switches at all. That's not to say mine is original in configuration, but the flippers work.

IMG_1289 (resized).JPGIMG_1289 (resized).JPG
#333 4 years ago

Yeah, lower right flipper. This game is a relatively early System 4 game, and that second set of switch blades is a "lane change" switch. I wonder if System 6 games got "lane change" and earlier games didn't?

#335 4 years ago

What was the purpose of the second switch? My game's 2 right flippers are wire directly together on the solenoid tabs. They fire in synch; did the double-stack switch delay the upper flipper a hair?

#337 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I sniffed around and found this old thread on the subject: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-upper-flipper-switch

I'm not sure I'm going to return mine to factory spec, at least not 'til I understand why the original operator changed it. It lived in a college arcade and had many games played on it in this config.

Added over 4 years ago:

My friend Ron says that when my machine was in heavy service, the second switch on the EOS stack probably broke or acted up, and the guy working on the machine just yanked it off and resoldered the wires to their current configuration. Both flippers went back to working, arcade patrons stopped complaining - end of story. Seems plausible....

1 week later
#338 4 years ago

Months ago, I cleaned up the score unit mounting boards, installed new double-sided sticky foam and "fixed" my problem of floppy score units (pic #1 is before). They had chafed the paint off the back of my backglass as they lay against it from behind for who-knows how many years and plays. IMG_1117 (resized).JPGIMG_1117 (resized).JPG

About 4 months later, one of the new double-stick tapes pulled a little bit loose, so I've moved on to home-made mechanical fasteners. I bought .032" x .25" brass strip at the hardware store and bent it to look like pic #2, after first drilling a tiny hole in one end. Then I covered the back of the bracket with electician's tape, inked the visible part black, drilled another tiny hole in the board behind and above the score unit and installed a short screw. IMG_1304 (resized).JPGIMG_1304 (resized).JPG

Now (so goes my theory), even if the double-stick tape comes loose, the bracket will restrain the score unit and keep it from flopping against the back of the backglass.IMG_1306 (resized).JPGIMG_1306 (resized).JPG

Stay tuned....

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Looks like it will work, is there enough clearance between the backglass and the bracket?

Is "a smidge" a scientific measurement? The brackets are about parallel with the front of the wood surrounds (probably plastic on your machine) on the "player up" and other special light fixtures. The black foam pads constitute the distance to the glass. I'm hopeful that's enough!

#342 4 years ago

Wow, those look perfect! Since I made my D.I.Y. brackets, I'm gonna' leave 'em in, but if I do another Williams game I'm buying your brackets. Nice design.

1 week later
#345 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You have to (carefully) bend the arms of the spinner itself in some cases.

...and if I can add to his advice, look straight down on your spinner and see if the "axle" is cocked a bit forward as it comes out of the spinner. You can bend it ever-so-gently to be in line and see if the spinner hangs true. I recommend taking it out of the frame to do this, as it's really hard to do in place. You can just gently suspend the spinner between your finger and thumb and spin it after little adjustments, to see if you're improving or getting worse.

#347 3 years ago

Hi Retroware -

My most successful method is to take the spinner out of its metal frame, adjust the metal wire in the direction I think is appropriate, and then suspend the spinner between my fingers. Using minimal finger pressure its possible to see if you're moving in the right direction without putting the spinner back in the frame each time. You can do that too, of course, but it's kind of a nuisance.IMG_1355 (resized).JPGIMG_1355 (resized).JPG

If you look closely, you'll notice the wire going to my thumb is just slightly tilted up. If you could see straight down from above, you'd see it's pretty much parallel with the spinner. I think ideally, the center of gravity should be just a hair below the rotational axis.

My theory is that your (and my) spinner gets hit hard and the spinner ends up a bit "behind" the axis, which makes it hang with its base toward the flippers. Form then on, it keeps getting hit hard on the base, further bending the wire and perpetuating the problem.

If you get the wire adjusted about right, once it's back in the machine pressure from the spinner switch will work to keep it vertical. BTW, your spinner looks a bit crowded by the slightly bent frame on the right side; I have my best luck with both sides of the frame truly vertical.

#350 3 years ago

Lowbeau, I like your ideas for mild mods, especially the changed rail color and custom drop target stickers matching your blue-and-yellow flippers. I got some heavily used plastics (in the way Dr. Frankenstein got heavily used body parts), and I'm experimenting with removing the blue color only. My pipe dream is to get blue off and black on, so that the plastics have a "stormy night sky" look. If it works, I'll post pics.

IMG_1312 (resized).JPGIMG_1312 (resized).JPG
#351 3 years ago

A question: do the Flash lamps (under the blue "Flash" crescent mid-playfield) flash in attract mode?

1 month later
#387 3 years ago

I'm about to install Kohouts boards into my refurbished Flash and will refer to your experience to set my drop targets properly. Thanks for posting.

#389 3 years ago

Thanks, and same to you. My boards will be brand new, all 4 of them, so maybe they'll give us both some kind of baseline.

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

Great please let us all know if your new boards are scoring 100%. Good luck!

Thanks - I'll let you know. My game was DOA, so whatever happens when the new boards go in will be a first for me!

#400 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

Great please let us all know if your new boards are scoring 100%. Good luck!

New boards installed today... mostly positive results.

Issues: Lower left kicker does nothing, both drop target sets have trouble resetting during play but work at end-of-ball (sounds very much like your situation), and the upper left rollover doesn't register. Otherwise, everything works and scores every time.

1 week later
#402 3 years ago

I spoke with a friend who has a Flash and a Harlem Globetrotters, the latter of which has target scoring problems. He replaced target switch diodes and capacitors and thinks he's cured the problem. I haven't gotten that far yet; today I'm adjusting horseshoe contact tension to minimum to see if it helps reset problems.

#403 3 years ago

...a little later.

Some good, some bad: reduced horseshoe tension scores OK and makes for much crisper resets. Unfortunately, the 5-bank still only resets at end-of-ball. However, the 3-bank seems to work correctly!

I don't know; maybe check all the diodes on the 5-bank next? Any suggestions?

#405 3 years ago

It's funny, my DTs score and don't reset, and yours reset but don't always score. I'll be interested in your results - good luck!

#406 3 years ago

Update... I got my drops to reset correctly! The problem was a cold solder joint.

On each PCB the middle 2 holes carry the daisy chain of connectivity toward the uppermost PCB. Checking connectivity across those got a light until I got to the one in which there's no jumper, but only a diode leading up to the reset control wire. Wiggling it around would occasionally get a very weak light on the connectivity checker, so I removed the solder and redid the connection and things worked. ...for about 3 resets.

I went back through and removed old solder and redid each connection across the daisy chain and now the targets score, drop easily and reset!

Butch Peel once told us that the source of most problems is the simplest, most mechanical thing. It was, in this instance.

#408 3 years ago

Man, that's frustrating to do all that and still have the problem. My sophisticated troubleshooting method which turned up the bad solder joint was just to wiggle things with a connectivity checker attached. The bad solder joint would just flicker once in a while instead of lighting. I suppose you could try that across the wires and connectors between your drops and the main boards.

Meanwhile, here's a pic of my game, which seems to work after 9 months of slow refurbishing. If I got mine to go, I bet you'll figure yours out eventually.

IMG_1450 (resized).JPGIMG_1450 (resized).JPG
#410 3 years ago

Thanks! As is common, some of my drop target guides had split screw holes where the PCBs are attached. I discovered that plastic anchors for sheetrock will work as collars to allow original screws to grip.

This one started out 1" long and 3/8" across the collar. I cut it to just cover the split screw fitting and wiggled it on. The screw snugged up OK and the flange doesn't seem to impinge on drop target movement.

IMG_1451 (resized).JPGIMG_1451 (resized).JPGIMG_1452 (resized).JPGIMG_1452 (resized).JPGIMG_1454 (resized).JPGIMG_1454 (resized).JPG
#413 3 years ago

Which is worse, not knowing why something doesn't work or not knowing why something does work?

I've got a Flight 2000 that has an "almost reset" behavior that my experienced friends think is due to an old light socket shorting out. I have a bag of 50 new sockets to start putting in to see if I can find the source of the problem. Meanwhile the game works right about 99.5% of the time.

#417 3 years ago

Thanks, I'll check the power supply while I'm in there.

#420 3 years ago

pinengineer's idea is good; you might start with the return and outlanes next to the flipppers, since they score 1000 and 2000 when lit.

#422 3 years ago

Congratulations!

2 weeks later
#428 3 years ago

>"I’ve briefly read the available manual online and it make no mention of the device (that I saw) in front of the sound board and above the tilt sensor pendulum. There’s a little track with a pinball and a switch at the end. What is that for?

I was also wondering how I can tell the year/revision of the machine. I did find a tag that says cabinet 13011. Update: I found the serial # 377986."<

It's OK to not know anything - you'll know a lot more when you get to the other end of fixing your game. The track with ball is a "ball tilt" - if you pick up the front of the machine, that ball will roll to the other end of the slanted track and complete a circuit - registering a tilt and stopping scoring for the ball you were playing.

The game was built in 1978/9 and its revision has to do with the green stickers on the ROM chips on the bottom of your MPU board. You can read more about those higher up in this big thread.

#432 3 years ago

Flash started out with Williams system 4 MPUs, but part way through the production run switched to system 6. The photos you've seen are probably of system 6 MPUs, which have a different battery location for one thing.

You can tell your MPU board had battery corrosion around the lower left corner, where you noticed ICs have been removed. It's possible the corrosion affected the left side of the driver board below as well. The top pin or second one down, if I remember correctly, in the white 8-pin connector at the upper left of your driver board is the switch input for the left kicker - the solenoid you found burned up. On my Flash, that connector was corroded and broken; not making any contact. Thus, my kicker wouldn't fire at all. I don't know how a defective connector there would lock the solenoid on, but it might be worth disconnecting that plug and looking to see if there's corrosion on the tiny metal crimp pin in the top hole.

And yes, Renton. Maybe we'll be able to connect some time in the future.

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:Updated:
More troubleshooting ensued and we noticed that the replacement left slingshot solenoid was getting warm. I removed and isolated the power wire from that solenoid so we could test everything out. We noticed that when the bank of 3 drop targets were actuated the game faulted out. We reset everything and tried the bank of three drop targets again. This time we saw some smoke come off of the driver board just below the large relay and immediately turned off the game and unplugged the power. Now I’m at a loss at what to do.
Do you still own tour Flash pinball machine?
Thanks again!
[quoted image]

Last first: yes, we have our Flash and it's happy. It had lots of battery alkaline damage in the neighborhood of where your mpu and driver boards have it. I attempted to repair the damage, but our game still did things like you describe, which in our case was due mostly to shorted trasistors and so forth. So, we bought new mpu and driver boards from pinballpcb.com. They solved the problems we hoped they would solve, and allowed us to troubleshoot remaining problems.

One of those was the left kicker doing nothing, which traced to a broken connector at the driver board end. Another was drop targets which wouldn't reset, which was due to wrong wiring and incorrect tension on the horseshoe contacts. Before we had working boards, those things were hidden in the bigger mess. Anyway, I bet your smoke is from a short due to battery alkaline damage, but that's just a guess from long distance. BTW, that large relay runs the flippers.

#440 3 years ago

Help me sleep at night; I lie awake wondering why Flash has diodes on its lamp sockets, since it was built for incandescent bulbs. Do you know?

IMG_1537 (resized).JPGIMG_1537 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#467 3 years ago

I have 3 incandescent GI lamps which come on at full power when the game is powered on, but fade to very dim after a few minutes of play. What would cause lamps to work properly at first and then fade over the next 5-10 minutes?

Added over 4 years ago:

Later.... new sockets cured 2 of the misbehavors. The third is in a hard spot to get to, but I'll do it next.

1 month later
#470 3 years ago

Do you know of a source for a new shooter lane ball guide (i.e., the curverd metal strip which guides the ball from the right shooter lane to the left upper playfield)? Mine broke its weld.

2 weeks later
#472 3 years ago

I had reason to replace the PCBs, horseshoes and guides in my 5-drop unit. While I was at it, and with the help of a friend, I cobbled together a set of red targets with correct Flash artwork. My game was early enough that all its posts are red instead of the later blue, and I wanted to get some more red onto the playfield. This is what it came out like:

IMG_1711 (resized).JPGIMG_1711 (resized).JPGIMG_1712 (resized).JPGIMG_1712 (resized).JPG
#474 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Red looks good!

Thanks!

At the beginning, as you probably already know, they tried red and also blue backglasses and finally went with black. I think Williams never did quite figure out what this game should look like.

#476 3 years ago

Nothing official that I know of, though a couple of clever people made their own:

https://flashredo.weebly.com/Flash1 (resized).jpgFlash1 (resized).jpg

https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop-barbarella/Flash2 (resized).jpgFlash2 (resized).jpg

#479 3 years ago

Wow, this game had been in service 15 years at that time! The one we have was thrown out by its operator after 8 years of service, and was thoroughly used up.

1 week later
#484 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

The red looks awesome! Good job!

Thanks! I saw an old Flash recently which came with red drops and blue stickers. It's funny how many variants there were of this machine.

#487 3 years ago

Yeah, it looks like you got a good one. Backglass seems to be in good shape and even the red is still red!

1 week later
#489 3 years ago

Do you get individual sounds when you run it through the solenoid self-test?

#491 3 years ago

No sounds in solenoid self test, but you do get the loud, squeely continuous sound when you press the sound board self-test button? ...and both fuses on the sound board are OK?

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Anyone else soft plunge into the 5-bank for lit, roving target? Reminds me of T2 skill shot.

Well, I've been doing that since Koji (thanks!) sent me a new plunger lane metal guide to replace my broken one. I haven't found the sweet spot and 95% of our plunger shots hit the middle post in the upper left lanes or the tip of the 3rd flipper. So, super soft plunger shots get left drop targets and keep the ball in play....

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Has anyone else had trouble painting their topper? I cleaned mine off and sprayed some gloss white on it. It got the weird cracked look in a few areas. Any idea what to do about it? Sand it down and use a different primer?[quoted image]

Hey Mark, is that the topper to Whirlwind?

#501 3 years ago

Plunger lane guide adjustment is dicey; if you have time, please check my "help me" thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-plunger-lane-guide-help-please#post-6017194

1 month later
#503 3 years ago

Stephan28 and I have each experienced complete sound cutoff in the last 2 weeks. His game has rebuilt Williams boards and mine has all new pinballpcb.com boards. His game stays silent until the game is powered off and left to "rest", mine drops background sound (and sometimes all sound) until some big scoring event occurs which has a sound associated with it, and then all the sound comes back on. (@stephan28, correct me if I described your symptoms wrong)

Any thoughts? Has your Flash ever done this?

#508 3 years ago

I asked Lloyd Olson (of "Ask Lloyd" fame on the Pinside front page), and he said: "Boards sound good. I'd suspect aging connectors next. Might be time to replace them."

#510 3 years ago

Thanks - I'll snoop around there as well.

Update - Connector J3 (sound board to MPU) was loose. My game seems better, but I would never claim any late-70s solid state game is "fixed".

#512 3 years ago

True Confessions, episode 3: my solenoids shut off last night and I tested the fuse (visually and with multimeter), followed by checking the solenoid input and output power on my beautiful pinballpcb power supply's built-in voltmeter. Output power was only 2.0 volts instead of 28-38. I wrote piballpcb's Jeff, who asked me to test the fuse again.

Turns out I had confused connector J3 and fuse F2, and tested the wrong fuse. Once the visually-OK but bad fuse at F2 was replaced, power came back up! I love having that built-in voltmeter (and a kind, patient vendor)!

PowerSupply3-6wLED (resized).pngPowerSupply3-6wLED (resized).png
#514 3 years ago

Thanks - hopefully not too many of my mistakes will require a vendor to talk me through what I did wrong. Anyway, no - I don't know what caused the fuse to blow. I have played a few games with a new fuse installed, and so far things work.

Have you made any progress on your sound problem?

I have another game (Star Explorer - a 3/4 scale home game from 1977) which has a persistent problem too. It's a nuisance, as it waits a minute or more before giving you a new ball. With lots of helpful advice from experts, and many(!) new components installed on the boards, it refuses to be fixed. It makes me more sympathetic to your sound problem and that of others with suicidal games.

1 week later
#519 3 years ago
#525 3 years ago

Interesting...

What I did was spend a couple months cleaning and then hand-restoring the playfield art. Three coats of wax followed by mylar left things looking nice and playing well.

It's not fresh ice rink smooth, but the ball moves correctly and it's fun to play and to look at.

#527 3 years ago

In the process of restoring the art, I noticed the bonus insert circle features black and white fingerprints from one hand painted around the outside of the circle. Are they Constantino Mitchell's?

#529 3 years ago

Practice is a great idea. My playfield looked similar to your bad one:Playfield_Before (resized).JPGPlayfield_Before (resized).JPG
I did it freehand with a couple reference photos alongside. I used liquid acrylic paint mixed with Golden Artists Colors GAC-200, the secret ingredient. It's a clear medium which hardens to a much harder finish than acrylic normally does. It also allows acrylic to adhere to glass, so I used it on defects on my backglass. IMG_1211 (resized).JPGIMG_1211 (resized).JPG

The most important thing is matching the colors. Most artist/craft acrylics dry darker than they look wet. On the up side, they also can be removed with isopropyl alcohol, even after they dry. If you put a bit of color on and it looks wrong after it dries....

When I got the playfield looking right, I waxed it 3 times and then laid mylar over it wherever I had done paint repairs. So far - about 9 months in - it's holding up.IMG_1816 (resized).JPGIMG_1816 (resized).JPG

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I really wish I had this skill set. Nice work clodpole

Thanks, @clytor; the skill set I lacked was cpu repair. I tried, but couldn't revive battery damaged MPU and Driver boards. Happily, pinballpcb boards saved the day!

#533 3 years ago

Yeah, that'd be a good exchange and we'd both end up with nicer games.

#535 3 years ago

Be patient with paint mixing, and if you can, print reference photos as close to life-size as you can. You can actually trace the shapes onto the playfield and fill in the lines like paint-by-number!

#537 3 years ago

Yeah, clear tests help. I have a sheet of plex with a bunch of odd color samples on it.

#539 3 years ago

I did mine freehand. You can use graphite transfer paper (like carbon copy but easier to erase) to trace. Or, you can use regular tracing paper to trace your photo and then blue-tape it to your playfield on only one edge of the paper and flip it down and up while you draw in the shape on the playfield underneath.

I put a bunch of layers of off-white paint into the shallow dips where the wood shows, trying to get the playfield smoother. Then I just drew and painted in the various other colors like black and green. Then I coated the finished spots with clear acrylic mixed with that GAC-200 hardener.

Then wax, then mylar....

Cool feature: all reversible with isopropyl alcohol in case you dislike how it came out. The "ice rink" clear coat people don't like reversible; they want things permanent, but that makes for more pressure to get it right in one try.

1 month later
#544 3 years ago

Perchance have you seen a Flash whose outhole kicker occasionally fires twice? Reliably, but not regularly - like maybe once out of 4 or 5 balls. So far I adjusted the outhole switch, but that did no good.

#546 3 years ago

Thanks, @slochar, I've found what you said to be true on our EM - sometimes the optimal switch adjustment is in a tiny range.

Update later in the day: I tested the outhole switch diode in case it was defective (it was OK) and replaced it anyway.

Then I manually tested the wireform and switch combo. The fish paper between the top switch leaf and the wireform hangs up on the wireform once in a while and keeps the upper leaf very close to the lower leaf. I think it allows for the lower leaf to vibrate and touch.

I'm going to trim the fish paper a bit and see if that eliminates the hangup, as well as adjust the damper leaf a hair to reduce the posibility of vibration.

IMG_1879 (resized).JPGIMG_1879 (resized).JPG
#547 3 years ago

Well, I did all that, and the outhole kicker still fires twice sometimes.

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It’s in the board. I had a gorgar that did it and I messed and messed with it for years. Finally just accepted it. Something happened and I switched boards. Problem cured. The other board also solved a magnet problem but I don’t remember what exactly it was.

I'm gonna' check the connector just to have a look at it, but I'm inclined to think my game went to school with your Gorgar and learned the same trick. I guess the double-kick doesn't hurt anything anyway.

1 week later
#565 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Lots of system 6 games do this, it's a combination of timing on the kick and when the switch times out in the software. You can usually get it down to a minimum by adjustment of the switch - which you've already tried but keep trying, the gap needs to be pretty wide.
Sometimes it's the wireform actuator, they wear and contribute to the issue, they get stuck on the trough.

slochar - I adjusted the switch and the damper blade so far out that the top blade contacts, but doesn't deflect, the bottom blade. It's just barely enough for the game to "see" the ball and kick it out, but it works. Anyway, the double kick is down to once in 5 balls, and seems a bit weaker.

I'm going to try and observe the wireform and see if there's any hangup. Otherwise I'll accept it as an innocuous feature of this game.

Thanks for the help.

2 weeks later
#575 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Got the sound card rebuilt and a lot of other issues sorted out. The three gray wires that go from the transformer have a plug by the head that separates. That had been replaced by a random assortment of individual terminals in the picture a few posts up.
Can someone get a reference photo of that connector as well? I’d like to replace that mess with the correct ones. It is only three wires but it appears the connector shell in the head may be a 9-pin connector shell. A few pictures of that connector set together and in the end disconnected will help a lot. Will be a good reference in case anyone else needs to replace one too.

Here are 3 pics of the connector you're asking about. I didn't want to pull mine apart, so hopefully this will give you enough clues.IMG_1911 (resized).JPGIMG_1911 (resized).JPGIMG_1912 (resized).JPGIMG_1912 (resized).JPGIMG_1913 (resized).JPGIMG_1913 (resized).JPG
As for your drop targets, I don't know of any adjustment fore-and-aft for the unit; however, it's easy to get the horseshoe contacts too tight on the printed circuit boards, and that will make the targets not want to drop.
Finally the word "Flash" doesn't flash as it comes from the factory. The game you watched has been modified a bit.

#577 2 years ago

I put blinking bulbs wherever there is lightning on the backglass. It entertains me, at least....

1 week later
#589 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

It wasn’t an issue with the horseshoe contacts. Well initially it was since a couple were missing contacts. Fixed those and cleaned everything.
The problem was with the three center drop targets. They were too far back and would hit the rubber ring before releasing. Was able to clear that up and they all work well now.

Nice going! Sometimes effective troubleshooting involves ignoring the advice from all of us ringsiders and doing what the machine actually wants.

2 months later
#602 2 years ago

REQUEST: If your Flash (or similar age other Williams game) has a memory protect switch at the coin door, would you please post a photo or two of the switch area? I'm hoping to add one to my early System 4 machine. Thanks!

1 month later
#604 2 years ago

I've been underwhelmed with the more generic plastics on Flash, so I made one to replace the 3-drop target plastic. If it doesn't delaminate or overheat, I'm going to try changing the ones on either side of the rollover lanes.

IMG_2046 (resized).JPGIMG_2046 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#609 2 years ago

Mine did that and it was because the little spring ramp on that connector broke off. It's probably worth looking at before you start pulling boards out.

2 weeks later
#612 2 years ago

Wow!

1 month later
#614 2 years ago

I was preparing to install a new Inkochnito bridge board today when I discovered this lovely chafed spot on the 34Vdc line, where it lay across the edge of the hole leading down into the cabinet. I've been trying to figure out why lifting my playfield with the power on invariably corrupted my settings - possibly this short was doing it?IMG_2261 (resized).JPGIMG_2261 (resized).JPG Anyway, the short is repaired and the Inkochnito board went in nicely, after I figured out how to rearrange wire bundles.IMG_2263 (resized).JPGIMG_2263 (resized).JPG

#615 2 years ago

...all of which raises a question: That white/red wire runs from the bridge rectifier to the on/off switch for the game, then back to the line filter where the 120Vac comes into the game. What's going on inside the line filter that allows that wire to be such a small gauge?

2 months later
#627 2 years ago

Wow, that playfield is in shockingly good shape. And... am I right in thinking the MPU doesn't have battery alkaline corrosion?

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

Yeah, that blew my mind as well. Of course, after I had spent lots of time repairing the battery corrosion damage on my original board.

I'm sympathetic! I spent an immense amount of time fooling with battery corrosion and then gave up and bought pinballpcb boards.

1 month later
#673 2 years ago
Quoted from 79_Flash:

Question about blue vs. red in the plastics. I've read when Flash was at its peak the blue plastic bumper pieces were in such demand they had to substitute red ones because they ran out. In the flyers it shows Flash with red drop targets and almost all red plastics. I love the blue personally and it's how mine in set up. Was wondering when blue became a thing?

I don't know when color changes took place, but my early Flash came with red posts and white rollover shields. My friend's game is blue everywhere. I kind of suspect artistic indecision may have influenced the color changes. Flash had red and blue backglasses during the prototype stage. It's a hard game to make look "just right" IMO.

1 month later
#681 1 year ago

Please describe the "jolt/jump" behavior further.

Also, that double switch pair on the lower right flipper is the EOS for the lower flipper (normally closed) and the activation switch for the upper flipper (normally open). It inserts a tiny delay in the firing of the upper flipper so as not to incinerate the flipper button switch contacts. My Flash showed up without the second pair.

#686 1 year ago

Congratulations.

#690 1 year ago

Any help?:

IMG_2548 (resized).JPGIMG_2548 (resized).JPGIMG_2549 (resized).JPGIMG_2549 (resized).JPGIMG_2550 (resized).JPGIMG_2550 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#693 1 year ago

Hi - Check to see if a hole has worn through the fish paper in the start button switch. Mine started giving 2 games and it had a hole. New fish paper solved it.

3 months later
#724 1 year ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

About to take a look at a Flash tomorrow. What are the typical issues I should look for?
Thanks

Alkaline damage to the MPU and Driver boards is common and problematic.

Good luck, BTW - it's a fun game.

IMG_1087 (resized).JPGIMG_1087 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#732 1 year ago

Yeah... and make sure you're using the settings that match your ROMs. See post 703 above.

3 weeks later
#738 1 year ago

Did you get the three plastics missing at the top of your playfield?

#741 1 year ago
Quoted from EmptyH:

I have those and the other parts from under them.

Oh, good. Also, it's excellent news that your wife is in on the project. Mine actually let me work on the backbox for a couple days on the kitchen counter!

You might consider including one of the Inkochnito Bridge Boards. They're fairly straightforward to install, and add a bit of protection for meltdowns due to fusing deficiencies.

https://home.kpn.nl/inkochnito/bridge_board.htm

1 week later
#751 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Ok I've scanned through the first six pages of this thread hoping to find reviews of the CPR glass but so far I've not come across anything other then saying they made the glasses. So how do they look compared to originals? Color, clarity, register?.......I want to read all about it before dropping $300 for one.
Thanks,
John

I have one, and it's beautiful. Flash owner friends who've visited comment on how nice it looks; so does eveyone else. It has "features" though:

The mirroring reflects on the playfield glass differently (more?) than the non-mirrored original. The overall image is very crisp and registered nicely. The glass came very well packaged and arrived in good shape. It's thinner glass than the original and needs new lift channel and edge channel material (confirm that with CPR).

It looks more like a nighttime storm than a daytime storm, if you can imagine - it's darker and more spooky looking to me. I put a ton (a ton!) of Comet Matrix LED lighting behind it to get it to light up the way I like it. It has a lot of opaque area and I want the lightning bolts to stand out.

Is it worth $300? I'm happy I bought mine and smile every time I see the game.

#758 1 year ago
Quoted from EmptyH:

On my Flash game, I have the spinner assembly, but not the part that runs through the playfield to the underside, but it looks like the switch is there. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[quoted image]

Steve Young sells spinner switch rods (most of the way down on this page): http://www.pbresource.com/spinner.html#wms

Probably you can adapt one of them to work with your spinner/switch combo.

#762 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Thanks Clodpole. So your saying though that the colors are a bit darker then the original? Can you post any pictures at all? Lit and unlit perhaps? Sorry to be a bother and if it's too much trouble then please disregard. Thanks again,
John

Hi John,

Only the predominant blue is a darker hue than that on the original. Plus, the mirroring opaques some areas which were translucent originally - note the difference in the planet on the photos below. The effect is more dark and stormy than the original, which I like, but which took more and brighter lights to illuminate.

Here's the original lit and unlit:IMG_1459 (resized).JPGIMG_1459 (resized).JPGIMG_1343 (resized).JPGIMG_1343 (resized).JPG

And here's the CPR glass:IMG_2500 (resized).JPGIMG_2500 (resized).JPGIMG_2398 (resized).JPGIMG_2398 (resized).JPG

The Comet Matrix lighting collection helped get more light through - especially their quick connect bulbs, which have a lamp and a quick connect in a single bayonet base. I used those and ran multi-LED mats off the quick connect to get lots more light behind the lightning bolt areas, as well as in spots where there wasn't a light socket at all.

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/matrix

Greg

1 week later
#767 1 year ago

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what magnets?

#769 1 year ago

Oh - I get it. I just did some horseshoe adjusting yesterday. Fiddly work, but least they don't fall off.

#771 1 year ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

And how often do you have to clean and adjust them?
I put magnets on my Disco Fever as a prototype over 5 years ago using 5 minute epoxy. They haven't fallen off OR needed adjusting.
Once these are properly installed you'll never need to touch them again.

Good question - "dunno" is the answer. Mine have been the way they are for about 1.5 years, except for the one that got adjusted last week. It was a bit too tight to go down correctly. So, you've got me beaten by at least 3.5 years in experience.

1 week later
#773 1 year ago

I don't know what Todd uses, but I've leveled inserts with mylar. It works, is nearly invisible, and best of all, is reversible if necessary.

I cut triangles or circles of mylar in increasingly smaller dimensions (like a contour map) and bring the cupped area up to level.

#775 1 year ago
Quoted from outerorbit:

This is awesome. I didn't think of doing it like that. I had thought maybe someone had a kit or something out there. But always keeping in the back of my mind the middle is obviously deeper than the surrounding edges so how would it work with just one layer. It doesn't haha.
So the best route is to just buy a sheet of mylar and cut it out yourself? Makes sense thanks clodpole!

You're welcome. I don't know if it's the best route, but it's a simple one that works. And if you screw up, you can just peel it off and start over.

I made some paper guides to trace, so that I could repeat each shape for all the circles of a size, or all the triangles.

#777 1 year ago

Hah! The other walls in that room feature Gamera, Daleks, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Logan's Run.... Those old movies are fun to watch and the posters simpatico with Flash.

2 weeks later
#793 1 year ago

Simple thing to check:

Has your credit button switch worn a hole in the fish paper insulator? If so, that'll cause multiple credits to be awarded for a single button push.

#796 1 year ago

@mbenivegna, do these help?

IMG_2920 (resized).JPGIMG_2920 (resized).JPGIMG_2921 (resized).JPGIMG_2921 (resized).JPG
6 months later
#819 10 months ago

I like how you've emphasized the black and red; it ties the cabinet, backglass and playfield together a bit. Flash is color challenged - especially in the mismatch of blues on backglass, playfield and plastics. Your game looks nicer.

Also, good idea on the wedge sockets in the pop bumpers. I'm changing mine next week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial?tu=clodpole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.