IMG_5873 (resized).jpg
IMG_5875 (resized).jpg
IMG_5874 (resized).jpg
IMG_6212 (resized).jpg
E6F140BE-9B08-482F-85F0-F2BABE917375 (resized).jpeg
20221129_190714 (resized).jpg
20221129_190226 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

Cleaned and polished all horseshoes and PCBs and find the targets don't score reliably when they drop - sometimes never scoring.

Not sure what the fault may be with having all the scoring problems in different areas, sounds more like a driver board switch problem, but If your problem with the drop targets in particular is related to the horseshoe wiper contacts, the best way I have found to ensure reliability is the double up each horseshoe wiper. Basically have another blank horseshoe (with the riveted contacts removed) behind it. This doubles the tension to make a good contact.

In fact this is how they were meant to come out of the factory according to the drawings which show two contacts present per drop target. Also the two horesehoes wipers have different part numbers as one is blank & the other a regular horseshoe.

I also have tried capacitors - they don't work on these Williams games, only Bally's. They mess thing up & add extra scoring as you said.

My Flash I am currently restoring is pretty much all original & had two wipers per drop installed. I also bought a Flash drop target bank a few years ago & that too had 2 wipers per drop.

Can be a bit tricky to remove the contacts.

These have obviously not been cleaned up & adjusted, but this is the idea.

P1020938 (resized).JPGP1020938 (resized).JPGP1020939 (resized).JPGP1020939 (resized).JPG

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

I'll disassemble this again and add even more tension to these horseshoe pairs and see if that improves things and report back. My gut tells me there is something mysterious going in within the solenoid driver board (PIA, 7406 driver or 14xxx CMOS receivers) but I am trying to avoid touching the boards and causing more potential issues. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the guidance and discussion!

It sounds like you have everything just right to function correctly with the horshoe's adjustment, new PCB's & a bit of lube. That's how mine were when I did my Firepower retrofit with drop targets, I have never needed to adjust them once - that was done a few years ago. As you have done, the tension is just at the point where any more will slow the drop when dropping.

Ideally if you could swap over a known driver board to try so you can immediately eliminate that as you problem.

Looking at the schematic, IC 12 & 19 (7406) IC 15 & 16 (4049) & the switch matrix, the problem switches involved appear to be linked to row inputs through those IC's & the PIA IC 11. Just another possible fault with one of those IC's I guess.

1 month later
#438 3 years ago

I have been refurbishing a recently acquired Flash. It has a system 6 CPU & I noticed the ROMS were the "Yellow" version ROMS.
From what I have read their were 2 yellow versions for system 4 & a green version for system 6 (possibly the later yellow version with some system 6 games as mine had the later yellow ROM set)

It was documented that the only difference functionality wise between the yellow & green ROM set was the setting for background sound & a couple of other settings.

I tried a set of Green ROMS to compare to see if their was any difference with how the game plays & sounds. I did notice one difference with a sound between the two sets that had not been mentioned anywhere previously. It didn't matter how the settings were adjusted - their were two different sounds between the sets.

The first vid is with the Green ROM set - note the 10K is awarded with individual sounds, the second vid is with the yellow ROM set & the same 10k is awarded with a single sound (which I prefer)

Green ROM set is 1486 1 (3 Rom set)
Yellow ROM set is 0486 2 (3 Rom set)

2 weeks later
#456 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Anyone have any experience or input on using this product? Looks like it might be a good solution to my wear area but I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do.

I haven't used this decal, but I personally their is no way I would use this on that playfield, I don't think that playfield is that bad. Also, If it is removed later for playfield restoration it will take off paint.
If it was mostly down to wood in the area & looked really terrible, maybe an option.

If that playfield had the magic eraser treatment & nicely touched up & finished with a playfield protector it could come up great & fix all the problems with cupped inserts ect as well, If you are not familiar with what a "magic eraser" can do to improve a playfield it's worth reading up so you know it's an option . But not everyone is able to do or wants to do this.

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Thank you! I’ll definitely look into the magic eraser treatment and you’re the second one to mention the playfield protector so that might be the wise way to go.

I don’t necessarily want (at this point) to restore it but I also don’t want it to degrade any further.

If you can live with the wear for now, a protector is the best way to go to stop any futher playfield wear. It will look & play much better & you can review what you want to do later on, this way their are no regrets with applying something like that decal.

Here is just one thread on using Magic erasers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-dirty-playfield-with-magic-eraser

Here is how one area of my Firepower playfield turned out after using a magic eraser, small touch up & Novus 2 polish. Most was engrained dirt nothing else but the eraser would remove.

P1020506 (resized).JPGP1020506 (resized).JPGP1020566 (resized).JPGP1020566 (resized).JPG
#461 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Excuse my lack of knowledge but how do the playfield protectors attach to the playfield? I presume it’s not sticky like the Mylar.

Yeah, they are not sticky - just a pre-cut PET-G sheet that sits on the top of the playfield. They don't tend to move, if it does move a bit, a tiny bit of sticky tape in a couple of discreet spots is all needed to hold it firm, usually not needed though.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/22/Playfield-Protectors

Protector review:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review

5 months later
#517 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Now on to playfield, sure wish CPR or Mirco would do flash.

I read a while ago CPR commenting on why they haven’t considered a Flash playfield. It was because the low value of the game would not warrant the outlay for the playfield. Maybe not the case nowadays.

#520 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

There's a NOS playfield for sale on eBay:

That playfield should come up looking fantastic after restoration - the cracking looks like it's mostly going to be in the old lacquer which would get sanded off. Interesting how cupped those arrow inserts are for a NOS - goes to show how it's not really lamp heat but moreover the weak structure of the inserts that causes severe cupping.

I bought a NOS set of Flash playfield plastics from that seller - very happy with them. Great seller.

2 months later
#578 2 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I put blinking bulbs wherever there is lightning on the backglass. It entertains me, at least...

I believe Flash did come out of the factory with blinking bulbs behind the lightning (only)
I have done that too & like it with them.

1 month later
#595 2 years ago
Quoted from algum123:

Of course it may be hard to justify financially replacing you playfield given the overall value of a Flash, but I have fond memories of playing one in the arcades when they came out and have a soft-spot for mine.

A lot of people are fond of Flash in Australia, you will have to pay at least double to what you would pay in the States for one in Australia - I think a few will make their way here.

6 months later
#639 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Thought about lane changes maybe that came later with Firepower, but I think that would be a bit OP, so happy to just try to nudge the tops when needed.

Their is a ROM upgrade that exists that adds lane change to Flash - I thought it would be worth trying but I could not get the ROM to work for some reason.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-williams-flash-have-lane-change#post-5492810

2 weeks later
#656 2 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Anyone? I’m at a loss here. Any help appreciated.

This thread is worth reading - same issue as yours & with a Flash too. Resolved with CPU connectors being the cause of the issue in this case.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-5-volt-low

This too...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-resets-wboth-flippers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.