IMG_5873 (resized).jpg
IMG_5875 (resized).jpg
IMG_5874 (resized).jpg
IMG_6212 (resized).jpg
E6F140BE-9B08-482F-85F0-F2BABE917375 (resized).jpeg
20221129_190714 (resized).jpg
20221129_190226 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg
There are 984 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.
#201 6 years ago

This is as close to switch test mode I can get to.. Doesn’t work though..

C50880A2-A143-4225-85B0-9E8FBD185E44 (resized).jpegC50880A2-A143-4225-85B0-9E8FBD185E44 (resized).jpeg

#202 6 years ago

Connection to coin door looks solid..

18DF38E3-43C9-429C-975F-F0ED5197AD87 (resized).jpeg18DF38E3-43C9-429C-975F-F0ED5197AD87 (resized).jpeg

#203 6 years ago

I know it's frustrating, check tilt bob, tilt ball, reset all connectors, make sure everything is grounded and screws are tight.
throw a quarter in the coin slot just to see!

I know you've done all of the above, but we've all been there!
I'm sure it will boot up!!!

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

I know it's frustrating, check tilt bob, tilt ball, reset all connectors, make sure everything is grounded and screws are tight.
throw a quarter in the coin slot just to see!
I know you've done all of the above, but we've all been there!
I'm sure it will boot up!!!

Yeah game boots up fine just doesn't start a game.. Tonight I am going to makesure all connectors are tight and check all tilts. Thanks for the input..

#205 6 years ago

Forgot about this-
From my $50 Flash Thread

“Try opening the coin door, then turn the game on, then off, then on again. I believe all system 7 games do that when new batteries are installed.”

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

anyones here with multiball mod on their Flash?

Pinball ninja has the instructions on his site. Maybe Clay can help you out. Can’t remember his pinside name right now.

#207 6 years ago

I always blame the 40 pin..

#208 6 years ago

If anyone can help me out I heard that there's an upgrade for Flippers mine are kind of weak does anybody know about this upgrade?

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I always blame the 40 pin..

Yeah me too, but mine was replace by my tech. Hopefully this weekend I'll figure it out..

#210 6 years ago

Diodes on the coin switches ?

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

If anyone can help me out I heard that there's an upgrade for Flippers mine are kind of weak does anybody know about this upgrade?

I've been told system 11 mechs.. but then I researched and was told that it's not a good idea .. voltage Wise and game Wise.
I rebuilt mine and it made a huge difference.

#212 6 years ago

I put system 11 mechs into mine. It works just fine. I think it plays better, but not by a huge margin. I would definitely suggest swapping out the flipper bats and pawl. From that alone you'll get less "bounce" when your flippers return to their lowered positions (since the bats are lighter), snappier action, and easier adjustment.

#213 6 years ago

Thanks for the info. Where can I get these?

2 weeks later
#214 6 years ago

So the loose glass on my score display in my Flash (and another one on my Firepower) inspired me to create a bracket that helps hold the display glass against the PCB. I posted a thread about it here which has a link to a video showing how it works: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-for-williams-system-3-6-pinball-machines-from-k

Thanks for checking it out!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

1 month later
#215 6 years ago

Finally bought my 1st ss game..thought that flash would be a good game to start with. Even got the green light from the g friend!

FBF587DF-CE98-4F83-815D-ABCF04736D91 (resized).jpegFBF587DF-CE98-4F83-815D-ABCF04736D91 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#216 6 years ago

I have my Flash thats working about 90%...but I still have a few bugs to work out.

#1 issue - Once the ball drops in the upper outhole it kicks out the ball but holds the coil energized and ends up burning out the coil...Transistor?
#2 issue - the 3 bank flash drop target arrow lights dont move in a sequence like the 5 bank flash drop targets do.?????
#3 issue - cant seem to get the 3X multiplier even after the ball drops through #4 and sounds like the switch registers but no lamp or 3X lamp lit below??
#4 issue - Number 6 lamp in the circular center playfield area almost near the flippers never lights up, even with new bulbs/leds in?

If anyone has any info they would like to share, guideance etc, id be much appreciative. Thanks in advance.

#217 6 years ago

Hi

Could someone please send me a high res photo of an excellent condition backglass for Williams Flash? I would also take lower playfield photo, from his abs down. Mine is not so great. I need to work on my abs too.

Chris

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from UofG2000:

Could someone please send me a high res photo of an excellent condition backglass for Williams Flash?

I've been re-doing the artwork in photoshop as a fun diversion on and off for many months. I have a beat backglass but no game. The artwork isn't done yet but it is coming along. When I'm done you can have a copy of the jpg.

1 month later
#219 5 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

I've been re-doing the artwork in photoshop as a fun diversion on and off for many months. I have a beat backglass but no game. The artwork isn't done yet but it is coming along. When I'm done you can have a copy of the jpg.

Thanks! Catch86

#220 5 years ago

I've had my flash for about 3 years, and I'm finally getting around to fixing the Flasher. Before getting too deep into the troubleshooting, could someone please *post a picture of the wiring* on their flash bulb resistor board? I have a feeling mine is wired incorrectly. I'm also pretty sure the smaller resistor is wrong.

Any help is appreciated!

flash-resistor-board (resized).jpgflash-resistor-board (resized).jpg

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from HeyItsMeDusty:

could someone please *post a picture of the wiring* on their flash bulb resistor board? I have a feeling mine is wired incorrectly.

Not my pics but it might help.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial/page/4#post-3607758

#222 5 years ago

VERY helpful, thank you! I had a hunch I had the wrong value of transistor for the smaller one. I replaced it with the proper 1 ohm resistor and all is working now. Thanks guys!

#223 5 years ago

Just put 2 led flashers in for the flash insert - and they’re now on all the time. Is this normal? There is a flash when there is supposed to be, but it’s always lit.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just put 2 led flashers in for the flash insert - and they’re now on all the time. Is this normal? There is a flash when there is supposed to be, but it’s always lit.

Mine does the same thing. I'm thinking they shouldn't be lit all the time and it has something to do with the LEDs. I actually just left mine because I like how it looks ha, but I don't think it's correct since it doesn't behave that way when regular bulbs are in there. I don't have a fix unfortunately...

#225 5 years ago

The small board under the playfield is for the flashers. The large resistor there is the warming resistor. It preheats the 89 bulb elements to increase their life. If you have LED flashers, you do not want the warming resistor connected as the amount of current provided by the warming resistor will keep the LED flashers lit all the time. You can clip off one leg of the large resistor and you will be good to go. Here is a picture from my firepower but it's the same.

IMG_4314 (resized).JPGIMG_4314 (resized).JPG

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

The small board under the playfield is for the flashers. The large resistor there is the warming resistor. It preheats the 89 bulb elements to increase their life. If you have LED flashers, you do not want the warming resistor connected as the amount of current provided by the warming resistor will keep the LED flashers lit all the time. You can clip off one leg of the large resistor and you will be good to go. Here is a picture from my firepower but it's the same.

Rock on, I'll try today, thanks!

#227 5 years ago

New guy! Picked up a Flash at pinfest yesterday. Needs some love but it looks decent. It's my first SS and should be interesting project. It's not doing much of anything right now though. You turn it on and some lights on the playfield and back box light up, but that's it.

Flash1 (resized).jpgFlash1 (resized).jpg

Flash2 (resized).jpgFlash2 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#228 5 years ago

Anyone been able to source the original flippers with a longer shaft?

4 months later
#229 5 years ago

Picked up a project flash at expo. Didn't boot, no GI. Attempted to replace the PROM sockets, ended up lifting traces so I had little choice but to buy the rottendog board. Sort of glad I did because beyond the CPU, the driverboard resistors were getting really warm without even starting a game (which concerned me that coils might lock on when the new board got installed). Kept the coil connector disconnected to make sure it at least booted and started game. Coils seemed ok, so took a chance and plugged in the connector. Surprised every coil but the upper flipper worked (need to see what's going on). This thing had to be sitting in storage for at least a decade (maybe two). Every rubber turned to dust when I tried to pop them off, many stuck to the post. Found a big pile of green pellets (I assume rat poison) underneath the ball trough.

My other issue, on the right sling it has the shaft assembly, but is missing the coil, spring, and bracket. I believe pinball life has everything I need?
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-coil-bracket-a-17808.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/williams-sg1-23-850-dc-coil.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-spring-large.html

Beyond that, it's little tweaks (switch adjustments, few bad bulb holders). Here's a photo of initial boot, and then after I added LED's to the playfield and novus'd it
flash1 (resized).jpgflash1 (resized).jpgflash2 (resized).jpgflash2 (resized).jpg

#230 5 years ago

So one thing I wanted to fix on my backbox are the lamp boxes, especially my busted one in the upper left corner. I 3d printed a new one and double sided it up (but left screw holes for mounting permanently):
flash_broken_lampbox (resized).jpgflash_broken_lampbox (resized).jpg
flash_3dprint_box (resized).jpgflash_3dprint_box (resized).jpg

I'd be willing to model all the boxes up if flash owners are interested.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I wanted to fix on my backbox are the lamp boxes

Pinball Life has a few light baffles available as well.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Light%20Baffle

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Pinball Life has a few light baffles available as well.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Light%20Baffle

Ah, I knew Scott made one for CFTBL, didn't realize he was making those too.

3 weeks later
#233 5 years ago

Always wondered what to call those.

#234 5 years ago

Made some instruction cards because I didn't see any on pinballcards.com

FLASH_CARDS.pdfFLASH_CARDS.pdf
1 month later
#235 5 years ago

In like Flynn!

20190118_104420 (resized).jpg20190118_104420 (resized).jpg
#236 5 years ago

Hey guys! Just swapped an old EM for a Flash project pin. Super excited to play it.

Right now, nothing happens so I am suspecting a power problem. Checking the power supply board, I replaced the fuses but I noticed that what was in it is different than the manual. what came with it was fuses in the left 3 fuse holders (unused, F2,F3,F5) and the one labeled F1 was empty. Based on the schematic I put the correct fuses in (F1, F2, F3, F5) but it keeps blowing F1.

So now I am wondering if I am doing it right. Can you guys tell me what you have for your Flash?
Flash_3849 (resized).jpgFlash_3849 (resized).jpgflash_3850 (resized).jpgflash_3850 (resized).jpg

#238 5 years ago

What size u put in f1 can't read mine might be 30

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from pinij93:

What size u put in f1 can't read mine might be 30

The manual picture above says 1/4 amp slo blow. Is that only for the display high voltage?

IMG_4944 (resized).PNGIMG_4944 (resized).PNG
#240 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

The manual picture above says 1/4 amp slo blow. Is that only for the display high voltage?[quoted image]

F1 1/4 is what I have.

#241 5 years ago

Making progress! I checked the diodes and caps then put in a 1/4 sloblo fuse and plugged it in.

Fire!

Looks like its shorting on the backside of the board. At least the problem is easy to spot!

Update: After cleaning it out with a wire brush, I don't see anything obvious. I'm going to assume its slightly out of whack, allowing the trace to touch the metal (grounded) mounting frame and the green insulation layer was gone there so it shorted. I've got some new insulating paint on order and I think I will put a couple of washers on the bolts to physically lift the boards from the mount but still allow it to touch at the bolt-points for grounding. We will see!

58357290-9FA0-4875-BA0C-8113F7EC347C (resized).jpeg58357290-9FA0-4875-BA0C-8113F7EC347C (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#242 5 years ago

Currently working on mine and see picture here miss black color on the 100(0)

P1070830 (resized).JPGP1070830 (resized).JPGP1070872 (resized).JPGP1070872 (resized).JPG
#243 5 years ago

I’ve had my Flash for a while waiting to be worked on. The playfield has some wear and the backglass is ok. If I find a better playfield, I’ll maybe swap it out. Hopefully once I get the MPU repaired it should be good as new. I love the vintage sounds on these!

A460EAD2-59E2-40CA-8183-322801614EDF (resized).jpegA460EAD2-59E2-40CA-8183-322801614EDF (resized).jpeg
#244 5 years ago

your playfield is not so bad I've seen them worse

4 weeks later
#245 5 years ago

Can someone point me to where I can find the sound rom.

1 week later
#247 5 years ago

my first clearcoat

20190322_191331.jpg20190322_191331.jpg20190322_191656.jpg20190322_191656.jpg
#248 5 years ago

That looks great already. Did you repaint a lot of it.

#249 5 years ago

yes I have touch up a lot and black was the most

1 month later
#250 4 years ago

Getting close to starting on my flash. A couple of questions. Earlier in the thread there were various mentions of flipper upgrades and mention of using system 11’s. Is this a common thing? Does the game need stronger coils or is this just normal cleaning and repair?

Second question is I think more style/preference. In the flyer the game uses only white flipper bands yet all the kits and most pics show red. Similarly in the flyer it shows a combination Of red and blue posts but everyone always seems to use only blue posts. Is it just a preference thing or am I missing something?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
There are 984 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial/page/5?hl=milltown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.