IMG_5873 (resized).jpg
IMG_5875 (resized).jpg
IMG_5874 (resized).jpg
IMG_6212 (resized).jpg
E6F140BE-9B08-482F-85F0-F2BABE917375 (resized).jpeg
20221129_190714 (resized).jpg
20221129_190226 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg
There are 984 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.
#451 3 years ago

In sticking with the OEM tantalum type this is the closest I could find, it should work.

Thanks for all of the help!

Siemens
ST513 Series
Sealed Tantalum
22uF, 35V, 10%
Military grade
Axial leads

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

In sticking with the OEM tantalum type this is the closest I could find, it should work.

Yeah it'll work but when tantalum caps go bad they burn. I would never put one of those in. But hey, do what you like.

#453 3 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Yeah it'll work but when tantalum caps go bad they burn. I would never put one of those in. But hey, do what you like.

Didn’t know that. Crap.....

#454 3 years ago

Anyone have any experience or input on using this product? Looks like it might be a good solution to my wear area but I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do.

865D0F3C-0C3B-4C2F-8206-ABFAA8C9196A.jpeg865D0F3C-0C3B-4C2F-8206-ABFAA8C9196A.jpegC85943EF-0A93-479A-A831-EDB208D0966D.jpegC85943EF-0A93-479A-A831-EDB208D0966D.jpeg71DCFE19-6CA5-48FF-AFFA-187A663249E3.jpeg71DCFE19-6CA5-48FF-AFFA-187A663249E3.jpeg
#455 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Anyone have any experience or input on using this product? Looks like it might be a good solution to my wear area but I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I purchased the same product. My machine had about the same amount of wear as yours. I ended up only using the arrow and circle decals. The large center decal color was bit off and I wasn't sure I wanted that look. The machine is somewhat of a family heirloom an I didn't want to change it that much.

In addition to the decals, I added added a play protector from playfield-protectors.com. I've been very happy with the product, it 'fixed' my sunken insert problem and I don't have to worry anymore about additional wear. The machine plays just as fast as before. I was a bit worried about the rollovers but that too has been fine.

#456 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

I haven't used this decal, but I personally their is no way I would use this on that playfield, I don't think that playfield is that bad. Also, If it is removed later for playfield restoration it will take off paint.
If it was mostly down to wood in the area & looked really terrible, maybe an option.

If that playfield had the magic eraser treatment & nicely touched up & finished with a playfield protector it could come up great & fix all the problems with cupped inserts ect as well, If you are not familiar with what a "magic eraser" can do to improve a playfield it's worth reading up so you know it's an option . But not everyone is able to do or wants to do this.

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from retroware99:

I purchased the same product. My machine had about the same amount of wear as yours. I ended up only using the arrow and circle decals. The large center decal color was bit off and I wasn't sure I wanted that look. The machine is somewhat of a family heirloom an I didn't want to change it that much.
In addition to the decals, I added added a play protector from playfield-protectors.com. I've been very happy with the product, it 'fixed' my sunken insert problem and I don't have to worry anymore about additional wear. The machine plays just as fast as before. I was a bit worried about the rollovers but that too has been fine.

Wow, good to know, thank you! I too have the sunken inserts. The playfield protector seems like a good idea too. Does it actually go over the rollovers or is it cut out around them? Was it difficult to install? Did you install the arrow and circle decals over or under the protector?

Any photos that you’d be willing to share with me? Thanks again!

Thanks again!

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I haven't used this decal, but I personally their is no way I would use this on that playfield, I don't think that playfield is that bad. Also, If it is removed later for playfield restoration it will take off paint.
If it was mostly down to wood in the area & looked really terrible, maybe an option.
If that playfield had the magic eraser treatment & nicely touched up & finished with a playfield protector it could come up great & fix all the problems with cupped inserts ect as well, If you are not familiar with what a "magic eraser" can do to improve a playfield it's worth reading up so you know it's an option . But not everyone is able to do or wants to do this.

Thank you! I’ll definitely look into the magic eraser treatment and you’re the second one to mention the playfield protector so that might be the wise way to go.

I don’t necessarily want (at this point) to restore it but I also don’t want it to degrade any further.

Thanks again!

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Thank you! I’ll definitely look into the magic eraser treatment and you’re the second one to mention the playfield protector so that might be the wise way to go.

I don’t necessarily want (at this point) to restore it but I also don’t want it to degrade any further.

If you can live with the wear for now, a protector is the best way to go to stop any futher playfield wear. It will look & play much better & you can review what you want to do later on, this way their are no regrets with applying something like that decal.

Here is just one thread on using Magic erasers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-dirty-playfield-with-magic-eraser

Here is how one area of my Firepower playfield turned out after using a magic eraser, small touch up & Novus 2 polish. Most was engrained dirt nothing else but the eraser would remove.

P1020506 (resized).JPGP1020506 (resized).JPGP1020566 (resized).JPGP1020566 (resized).JPG
#460 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

If you can live with the wear for now, a protector is the best way to go to stop any futher playfield wear. It will look & play much better & you can review what you want to do later on, this way their are no regrets with applying something like that decal.
Here is just one thread on using Magic erasers.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-dirty-playfield-with-magic-eraser
Here is how one area of my Firepower playfield turned out after using a magic eraser, small touch up & Novus 2 polish. Most was engrained dirt nothing else but the eraser would remove.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, very nice, good job!

Excuse my lack of knowledge but how do the playfield protectors attach to the playfield? I presume it’s not sticky like the Mylar.

#461 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Excuse my lack of knowledge but how do the playfield protectors attach to the playfield? I presume it’s not sticky like the Mylar.

Yeah, they are not sticky - just a pre-cut PET-G sheet that sits on the top of the playfield. They don't tend to move, if it does move a bit, a tiny bit of sticky tape in a couple of discreet spots is all needed to hold it firm, usually not needed though.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/22/Playfield-Protectors

Protector review:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review

#462 3 years ago

I've pretty much gone through my Flash. Here are the wpc flipper mech upgrades and molex connectors added to the drop banks. New flipper plate placement on Flash was trickier than on, say, Gorgar. I had to use some bendy neck leds around some of the lamp holes by the plates. The upper flipper was especially tricky. I replaced the three rollovers on the right orbit as they were proud and worn. I also "upgraded" some of the worn playfield art and added a playfield protector until a Hardtop becomes available.

5+zabiAVSCS%QaVCfFUeqQ (resized).jpg5+zabiAVSCS%QaVCfFUeqQ (resized).jpg61940719445__F99424E7-4AAF-4038-81CD-8BFF2FFBAF26 (resized).JPG61940719445__F99424E7-4AAF-4038-81CD-8BFF2FFBAF26 (resized).JPGdkt7Y0LnQkahW7fgukZR3A (resized).jpgdkt7Y0LnQkahW7fgukZR3A (resized).jpg

#463 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Wow, very nice, good job!

Here are a few pictures of my "poor man's" restore. To clean up the playfield, I used magic eraser with a bit of alcohol. I used decals to clean up the 3K, 5K and 100 triangles near the top together with the kick out score lamps. I tried using them a few other places but I was getting bubbles, probably due to a lack of surface preparation so I pulled them up. I replaced all of the plastics and put on new drop target and spinner stickers.

I also replaced the back glass. Both the plastics and back glass were a bit more pastel than the originals but they match each other fairly well.

I then added a playfield protector. I took a couple of close up shots to show how it is cut out around the rollovers.

IMG_2511 (resized).JPGIMG_2511 (resized).JPGIMG_2512 (resized).JPGIMG_2512 (resized).JPGIMG_2515 (resized).JPGIMG_2515 (resized).JPGIMG_2521 (resized).JPGIMG_2521 (resized).JPGIMG_2522 (resized).JPGIMG_2522 (resized).JPG
#464 3 years ago
Quoted from retroware99:

Here are a few pictures of my "poor man's" restore. To clean up the playfield, I used magic eraser with a bit of alcohol. I used decals to clean up the 3K, 5K and 100 triangles near the top together with the kick out score lamps. I tried using them a few other places but I was getting bubbles, probably due to a lack of surface preparation so I pulled them up. I replaced all of the plastics and put on new drop target and spinner stickers.
I also replaced the back glass. Both the plastics and back glass were a bit more pastel than the originals but they match each other fairly well.
I then added a playfield protector. I took a couple of close up shots to show how it is cut out around the rollovers.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nicely done! What is your opinion on the playfield protector?

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Very nicely done! What is your opinion on the playfield protector?

Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical of the playfield protector idea before I installed it. But, I've been very pleasantly surprised. Both my son and I think its a big step up from the old, sunken insert PF. I do however seem to get more airballs than before. But all in all, I've been very pleased.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from retroware99:

Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical of the playfield protector idea before I installed it. But, I've been very pleasantly surprised. Both my son and I think its a big step up from the old, sunken insert PF. I do however seem to get more airballs than before. But all in all, I've been very pleased.

Thank you! I’ve decided that my #1 priority is to get the game functional first. My boards are currently being worked on by a magician. In the interim I’m checking over the wiring and cleaning/waxing the playfield. Once the boards are back I’ll see how the game behaves.

If all goes well, I’ll go ahead and get the protector.

#467 3 years ago

I have 3 incandescent GI lamps which come on at full power when the game is powered on, but fade to very dim after a few minutes of play. What would cause lamps to work properly at first and then fade over the next 5-10 minutes?

Added over 4 years ago:

Later.... new sockets cured 2 of the misbehavors. The third is in a hard spot to get to, but I'll do it next.

1 month later
#469 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Looks good!
-mof

Ha I wondered if u would ever see
that.lol

#470 3 years ago

Do you know of a source for a new shooter lane ball guide (i.e., the curverd metal strip which guides the ball from the right shooter lane to the left upper playfield)? Mine broke its weld.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Do you know of a source for a new shooter lane ball guide (i.e., the curverd metal strip which guides the ball from the right shooter lane to the left upper playfield)? Mine broke its weld.

I should have one, I stripped a Flash PF a while back.. I can look for it later tonight if you still need one, I guess PM me?
Same for anyone needing flash PF parts

thanks-

1 week later
#472 3 years ago

I had reason to replace the PCBs, horseshoes and guides in my 5-drop unit. While I was at it, and with the help of a friend, I cobbled together a set of red targets with correct Flash artwork. My game was early enough that all its posts are red instead of the later blue, and I wanted to get some more red onto the playfield. This is what it came out like:

IMG_1711 (resized).JPGIMG_1711 (resized).JPGIMG_1712 (resized).JPGIMG_1712 (resized).JPG
#473 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I had reason to replace the PCBs, horseshoes and guides in my 5-drop unit. While I was at it, and with the help of a friend, I cobbled together a set of red targets with correct Flash artwork. My game was early enough that all its posts are red instead of the later blue, and I wanted to get some more red onto the playfield. This is what it came out like:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Red looks good!

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Red looks good!

Thanks!

At the beginning, as you probably already know, they tried red and also blue backglasses and finally went with black. I think Williams never did quite figure out what this game should look like.

#475 3 years ago

Did Flash ever get any alternative back glass art made?
The original art is kinda bland, the mirrored version might be better but its hard to justifiy the cost for that odd art.

Thanks.

#476 3 years ago

Nothing official that I know of, though a couple of clever people made their own:

https://flashredo.weebly.com/Flash1 (resized).jpgFlash1 (resized).jpg

https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop-barbarella/Flash2 (resized).jpgFlash2 (resized).jpg

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Nothing official that I know of, though a couple of clever people made their own:
https://flashredo.weebly.com/[quoted image]
https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop-barbarella/[quoted image]

Cool. Just bought a project flash to retheme
as my winter project for next year. I love playing
my original flash. Fun simple game.

#478 3 years ago

I was cleaning out some old paper work and saw this log that was in my flash.
Not a big money maker but it was about fifteen years old at the time. The biggest pull was New Years eve weekend for seven bucks...
Guessing the number at the top corner was the total to that date.

Thought some Flash fans might like to see this.

FlashLog (1) (resized).jpgFlashLog (1) (resized).jpgFlashLog (2) (resized).jpgFlashLog (2) (resized).jpg
#479 3 years ago

Wow, this game had been in service 15 years at that time! The one we have was thrown out by its operator after 8 years of service, and was thoroughly used up.

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Wow, this game had been in service 15 years at that time! The one we have was thrown out by its operator after 8 years of service, and was thoroughly used up.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. Still interesting for sure. Love to see ths history. Too bad location was not listed.

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from clodpole:

[quoted image][quoted image]

The red looks awesome! Good job!

#482 3 years ago

I read that the Flash machines were either System 4 or System 6 MPU. Was there any difference in the wiring if it was a System 6 machine? I am going to put one back together that was missing the boards in the head. Have a good power supply and driver. I also have a spare System 6 MPU that I redid a while back. Just want to see if I should use that or pickup a System 4 MPU to redo.

#483 3 years ago

system 6 is backwards compatible to system 4. As long as it has the memory protect circuit wiring you should be ok that's the only difference IIRC (that might be between sys3 and up though).

There are 2 different variances of the software, both a yellow rom version and the green rom version - use the green rom version. The manual has the settings for the yellow rom, but I think it's best to use the latest available software in most cases. There is an addendum for the green rom differences.

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

The red looks awesome! Good job!

Thanks! I saw an old Flash recently which came with red drops and blue stickers. It's funny how many variants there were of this machine.

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

system 6 is backwards compatible to system 4. As long as it has the memory protect circuit wiring you should be ok that's the only difference IIRC (that might be between sys3 and up though).
There are 2 different variances of the software, both a yellow rom version and the green rom version - use the green rom version. The manual has the settings for the yellow rom, but I think it's best to use the latest available software in most cases. There is an addendum for the green rom differences.

Cool. I'll just go with my extra System 6 board then. I've never played Flash but it looks like a really cool game. Have a few things to wrap up and it will be one of my winter projects. Should clean up well.

20201127_143625 (resized).jpg20201127_143625 (resized).jpg20201127_165143 (resized).jpg20201127_165143 (resized).jpg
#486 3 years ago

That playfield looks great. Nice find

#487 3 years ago

Yeah, it looks like you got a good one. Backglass seems to be in good shape and even the red is still red!

1 week later
#488 3 years ago

Hi I have had a flash machine in my basement for over 20 years. I had issues with the mpu and power so I replaced with new power supply and rottendog board.. finally got it working but the sound does not work. When I hit the test button on sound board I get a continuous sound. Should I start by trying to get a new sound card? Could there be an issue with rottendog ?Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Screenshot_20201209-215544_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201209-215544_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201209-215617_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201209-215617_Messenger (resized).jpg
#489 3 years ago

Do you get individual sounds when you run it through the solenoid self-test?

#490 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply... I did not get any sound through the diagnostic

Quoted from clodpole:

Do you get individual sounds when you run it through the solenoid self-test?

#491 3 years ago

No sounds in solenoid self test, but you do get the loud, squeely continuous sound when you press the sound board self-test button? ...and both fuses on the sound board are OK?

#492 3 years ago

Yes fuse is ok

#493 3 years ago

My memory fails me, but I recall this happening to me. It seems to me that replacing the PIA at IC3 on the sound board fixed it. Looks like yours is socketed so may be worth a check with a quick swap.

#494 3 years ago

Anyone else soft plunge into the 5-bank for lit, roving target? Reminds me of T2 skill shot.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Anyone else soft plunge into the 5-bank for lit, roving target? Reminds me of T2 skill shot.

It's a fun option... but can be a bit risky if the game is set up to be difficult.

I had mine dialed in for a full plunge to get to the 3rd flipper.. could repeat a few times usually until sinking one of the top rollovers.

#496 3 years ago

Has anyone else had trouble painting their topper? I cleaned mine off and sprayed some gloss white on it. It got the weird cracked look in a few areas. Any idea what to do about it? Sand it down and use a different primer?

IMG_5476 (resized).jpgIMG_5476 (resized).jpg
#497 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Well, I've been doing that since Koji (thanks!) sent me a new plunger lane metal guide to replace my broken one. I haven't found the sweet spot and 95% of our plunger shots hit the middle post in the upper left lanes or the tip of the 3rd flipper. So, super soft plunger shots get left drop targets and keep the ball in play....

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Has anyone else had trouble painting their topper? I cleaned mine off and sprayed some gloss white on it. It got the weird cracked look in a few areas. Any idea what to do about it? Sand it down and use a different primer?[quoted image]

Hey Mark, is that the topper to Whirlwind?

#499 3 years ago

Whoops, wrong group...duh

#500 3 years ago

It's the only shot i ever go for. A soft plunge for the skill shot to the 5 bank.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 984 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial/page/10?hl=milltown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.