(Topic ID: 235536)

Flash. Boots to audit mode. Code 4040 instead of game #1486.

By Onevox

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.54.13 AM (resized).png
    IMG_3253 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3252 (resized).jpg
    Driver (resized).jpg
    MOSFETs (resized).jpg
    MPU (resized).jpg
    RAM Right (resized).JPG
    ROM Left (resized).jpg
    ROM Right (resized).JPG
    HSsoundROM (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from uofmer:

you can try pincoders roms (here on this forum https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms and the ROMs are at http://pincoder.reversion.ca/). I used them to get my Flash mostly working. At least it will give you a warm fuzzy that your ram and nvram are working. I also used the lamp ROM to test out all the lamps. You have to blow a 2716 for each test, but it helps to just test one part at a time...

Thanks for the mention uofmer , just to add a note about the lamps test: I've been using the lamps test ROM to diagnose the lamps on my black knight (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/differences-in-hardware-wiring-black-knight-v3-vs-v4#post-4866292). To summarize that, it turns out PIA3 was weak. It would run the lights fine for about 10 seconds after power up and then all but one column of lights would fade out. I replaced IC12, IC13, IC14, and IC19 before replacing IC10 (PIA3), but in the end it was IC10 that was the problem. I do think the other ICs were also part of the problem and may have been the cause of IC10s ultimate demise as they also showed some issues when on the scope.

Anyway, the thing that made it difficult to diagnose was that my lamps test ROM showed all the lamps to work just fine for as long as I desired but when I switched back to the Williams ROM, the problem was still there.

If you think this could be the problem you're having Onevox I would suggest trying out my lamps test ROM (as well as all of the ROMs leading up to it) and see if the lights work there. If the lamps work fine there, then you may have a weak PIA3 chip. If that's the case I recommend changing the above ICs, including IC10.

I'm working on adjusting the lamps ROM to test for a weak PIA but I haven't figured out a way to do it yet. At least I have a weak chip to try it out on

Hope this helps

EDIT: Also, be sure to run the clear-cmos ROM (with coin door open) as it will clear out the 5101 chip and force it to re-initialize it when you then boot the Williams ROM. Make sure the coin door is open the whole time. After you've booted into audit mode you can close the door and power cycle into game mode if you like. This may help with some of the other problems you're experiencing.

1 week later
    #16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

I added new sockets for the 6810 RAM and the 5101 chip. Also replaced those chips. Still getting the odd 4040 code in Player 1, still booting to audit mode.
    When I power on, the LEDs flash once and go out. When I push the self test, the lower LED stays on.
    I'm wondering if my ROMs were fried somehow. I just noticed that in the process I lost by "green flipper" labels on my ROM. Can't find them anywhere...
    Is it rare for ROMs to go bad? Does the order on the PCB matter? I wonder if I screwed up the order when putting in the new sockets.
    pincoder I don't have a ROM burner so I'd have to buy test ROMs, but wonder if it would just be easier to get new ROMs.

Its too bad you don't have a programmer handy. It could save you swapping out good chips for no reason.

The ROM order does matter. ROMs don't usually go bad, but that doesn't mean they don't. With a burner you could also compare the contents with a known good image to see if they still work.

I'm not certain what the 4040 code is, but if you're booting to audit mode then you have the flipper roms in the right order. Are you certain the game rom(s) are in the right sockets?

Are you able to manoever the audit mode with the coin door buttons?

#26 5 years ago

What's a good source for 2716/2816 chips? I bought a bunch years ago when a local store was clearing them out, but other than ebay, I don't know where to source them, and the alternative now seems to be a bigger, newer chip with an adapter board..

#30 5 years ago

Interesting, and where do you get them? digikey and mouser don't appear to have them in through-hole configuration..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-odd-behavior-where-to-focus-my-attention?tu=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.