• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

396b83fa58c748f4f3ad3f7ac13a972a864ddf40 (resized).jpg
a846bf0437d7bf27c9f54f4dcf1afbabf31b7452 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

i dont have this game in my possession yet so I have not resoldered the 40 pin interconnect. trying to get a collection of thoughts on this so when it arrives I have a solid plan of attack. Problem is dispalyed at 2:40 in this video.

#2 6 years ago

Looks like it needs some extra time for the older capacitors to deliver a stable voltage.

#3 6 years ago

I had a similar issue with a Flash I grabbed a long time ago. I replaced the caps, but then it started acting up again so I just replaced the board. Luckily they made a few Flashes (just a few LOL), so another original board was easy to find. Mine had some acid damage, so got sick of tinkering with it.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Looks like it needs some extra time for the older capacitors to deliver a stable voltage.

power supply?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I had a similar issue with a Flash I grabbed a long time ago. I replaced the caps, but then it started acting up again so I just replaced the board. Luckily they made a few Flashes (just a few LOL), so another original board was easy to find. Mine had some acid damage, so got sick of tinkering with it.

which board? main/cpu?

#6 6 years ago

Check the batteries and MPU for corrosion. This indicates your game number (486) with a system 4 MPU yellow roms - looking like it's coming up in audits mode. Generally caused by dead batteries.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

which board? main/cpu?

Yeah, I replaced the caps on the PSB then found another refurbed CPU back then. I've seen corrosion or broken traces on the CPU cause this issue, but I think on mine it was a ROM issue. Space Shuttle had a similar issue from what I've seen. People often think it's the battery code coming up, but it's different. Whatever it is interrupts the booting or start up sequence.

But always check the batteries first, and install remote (not that you don't know that already). I saw what you did with that Centaur

The guy in the video you posted seemed like he knew something about games, but often some of those people have no clue when it comes to board work.

#8 6 years ago

Picture! Then I can tell if they have been replaced.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Picture! Then I can tell if they have been replaced.

grumpster lives! i dont have it yet. it's 1295 miles away and i dont have a zoom lens that long

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i dont have it yet. it's 1295 miles away and i dont have a zoom lens that long

Wow, you must really want a Flash, or he is giving it away.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Wow, you must really want a Flash, or he is giving it away.

package deal for freight savings and the price is right for both. pinbot is the other one. I havent had an old school williams in a while so this deal was perfect for me

#12 6 years ago

10 to 1 the batteries are dead or corroded. You get that code any time the battery backed ram has lost its data. When you turn it off and on eventually you get it to reboot before the ram dies again so the data stays in.

If the batteries haven't been removed or replaced then it's almost certainly got acid damage. To be safe I'd have a battery holder, sandpaper+acid cleanup stuff, and some rom sockets on hand. It's tough to know exactly what the acid would have affected without knowing if it's got a system 4 or 6 mpu (they moved the batteries to a different area of the board). Do you have pictures of the MPU? Interconnect won't have any affect on this issue. When you get it I can bring over some of my good boards to compare with if you want. I've been repairing sys 6 mpu+drivers all weekend :/

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

10 to 1 the batteries are dead or corroded. You get that code any time the battery backed ram has lost its data. When you turn it off and on eventually you get it to reboot before the ram dies again so the data stays in.
If the batteries haven't been removed or replaced then it's almost certainly got acid damage. Do you have pictures of the MPU? Interconnect won't have any affect on this issue. When you get it I can bring over some of my good boards to compare with if you want. I've been repairing sys 6 mpu+drivers all weekend :/

i am pretty sure he said its got a remote pack. i think these are system 4 no? appreciate the offer too!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i think these are system 4 no?

Flash came both ways, system 6 and system 4.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i am pretty sure he said its got a remote pack. i think these are system 4 no? appreciate the offer too!

If it's got a remote pack, I'd wonder how the pack is attached. Soldered right on? Clipped on? Did the board get acid damaged before the remote pack was installed?

Quoted from rcbrown316:

appreciate the offer too!

Let me know, I've got parts and crap for most things

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If it's got a remote pack, I'd wonder how the pack is attached. Soldered right on? Clipped on? Did the board get acid damaged before the remote pack was installed?

Let me know, I've got parts and crap for most things

yeah cool. appreciated Zac! this will be delivered after pintastic

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

^^^^ This. And Flash is actually a pretty cool game, I've had 2 or 3 of them. Rebuilt one from scratch that I picked up from a guy that literally had it in boxes. What a project.

And Zac, even after a few games since you came down, I still haven't been able to pinch out your score on Frank. Bastard!!!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

^^^^ This. And Flash is actually a pretty cool game, I've had 2 or 3 of them. Rebuilt one from scratch that I picked up from a guy that literally had it in boxes. What a project.
And Zac, even after a few games since you came down, I still haven't been able to pinch out your score on Frank. Bastard!!!

yep flash is pretty cool. havent owned one yet but the plays I have had on poorly working machine stack up well against other games in that era. i can wait to see how fast I can make it

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

grumpster lives! i dont have it yet. it's 1295 miles away and i dont have a zoom lens that long

Your buying my games in my neighborhood! I already have enough competition.

2 weeks later
#20 6 years ago

fired it up 0486-2 pops up. if I power it down and back up it "catches". put new batteries in and the holder looks new but when i change seting 31 to 01 to turn background sound on, power it down then back on it still doesnt appear to hold the memory. it also does some weird stuff during game play like put on a bunch of credits or go to game over on ball 2. Loos like a new 40 pin set of molex has been installed. I havent dug in much further but my question is does anyone know exactly what I need to do with these two boards in order to swap in the kohout? i had it kicking around and want to try and see if it fixes these problems.

Thanks!
RB

a846bf0437d7bf27c9f54f4dcf1afbabf31b7452 (resized).jpga846bf0437d7bf27c9f54f4dcf1afbabf31b7452 (resized).jpg

396b83fa58c748f4f3ad3f7ac13a972a864ddf40 (resized).jpg396b83fa58c748f4f3ad3f7ac13a972a864ddf40 (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

Other than switching out the ROMs, I don't think you have to do anything. I think it's plug-and-play. Just make sure that 40 pin connector seats properly. They can be a pain in the ass. If the sound doesn't work right, you may have to jump from the upper right pins on the kohout board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-not-booting-on-first-try and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.