Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20141220_165607835.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
eos open.jpg
EOS closed.jpg
#1 9 years ago

The upper right flipper on my Flash is machine gunning intermittently. I checked the lugs for any solder or wire breaks, but didn't see any. The diode seems like it might be the problem, however I can't determine the value of it in order to replace it.

What should I replace it with and is it something can I just run down to Radio Shack and pick up? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

Yes, Radio Shack: 1N4004

However, look for the "hold" winding to be broken/cold soldered at the lugs.

#3 9 years ago

I'll check the coil again as soon as I get a chance. Thanks.

#4 9 years ago

Check the flipper for a broken thin red wire going to the lugs.

I want to say Flash is like Ballys, with a power feed switch on the lower flipper that provides power for the upper. If it is, that switch can get pitted and cause that.

Turn out the lights in the room. Start a game up and take out the ball. Gently, without tilting, raise the playfield on the kickstand. Press the flipper button and look for sparking around the lower flipper.

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

I finally got some time to replace the diode. I replaced it and tried it out. It's not machine gunning now, but the flipper isn't holding on when the button is held in like the lower flipper. It'll fire once and return to it's normal resting position. I replaced that diode with another and still the same thing. Yes, I have the band on the diode in the same position as the one I replaced (facing right as I look at the diode).

I checked the coil wires and I don't see anything that is broken. The thin red wire is on the left and the fatty is on the right. The switch on the lower right flipper is making contact to fire the upper flipper.

Any ideas?

#6 9 years ago

Morning bump.

#7 9 years ago

Sounds like you have a break in the hold winding. Try swapping with a different coil.

#8 9 years ago

I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace a coil, but it seems like I have to.
Just ordered a replacement and a couple spares. They should be in mid-week so we'll see what happens then.

#9 9 years ago

I got my new coils in and replaced the "bad" one. Everything is back in the way I took it out and wired as such.

No dice.

It's still doing the same thing. I checked the switches, I filed the pads, rechecked the wires and I can't seem to find the problem. I made a video of the flipper acting up. I am holding the button in then releasing each time, no quick hits. Please watch and tell me if you see anything I may have missed or if there's something else I should check. I'm at my wits end with this!

#10 9 years ago

My phone won't let me resize the video, but is the EOS switch not opening 1/8" when the flipper button is held?

#11 9 years ago

EOS closed.jpgEOS closed.jpg eos open.jpgeos open.jpg
#13 9 years ago

These are from my video of the main right flipper.
1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

#14 9 years ago

IMG_20141220_165607835.jpgIMG_20141220_165607835.jpg

I gapped the gang switch a little, but I'm still experiencing the same result.

#15 9 years ago

There is two switches there, the short set of contacts needs to open with an 1/8 inch gap like vid said. The long set of contacts needs to close completely plus a little bit more to insure good contact. And they need to be clean, your switches need to be filed for better current flow. Once this done your flippers will work as they should.

#16 9 years ago

I'm so very frustrated right now. I also feel stupid. I've been messing around with this thing for about three weeks, waiting for parts, trying to diagnose what's wrong, asking for help and it seems that all along the problem and solution were simple as well as right in front of me.

While working on the flippers last night, I noticed something I hadn't before. The switch stack for the right lower flipper moved ever so slightly while I was filing the pads on the EOS. I grabbed the stack and pushed on it and wouldn't you know it, it moved. The damn thing had come loose ever so slightly from it's original position, shifted, and then stayed in that position. Wow, just wow. All this work, waiting, yelling, loss of patience and for what? A loose bracket. If I was able to see that before, I could've put it back, tightened it and be done. But now with all the tinkering, it's still not right. It's playable, but still not 100%.

While I appreciate all the help I get from Pinside and my fellow Pinsiders, it's just sooo frustrating not having another pair of eyes to look at the problem I experience with my machines. If I had hair, I'd have pulled it out already! Auuugh!

Anyway, I'm going to leave this as unresolved for a few days just to make sure a few more hours of playing and "adjustments" won't fix the issue.

Thanks for the help!

#17 9 years ago

The insulators in between the leaves of the switches shrink over many years and loosen up. Older machines need these checked once in awhile.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-machine-gunning-flipper-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.