• Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0773 (resized).JPG
IMG_0771 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Now, what those components ARE is a good question. If it's the actual TMS5200, you might be out of luck unless you can get a bunch of those to swap. Someone at some point should figure out how to mod the sample data to work with the more readily obtained TMS5220.

The resistor R9 regulates the speech speed. If R9 goes out of spec it can affect the speech speed, you can check the value with the schematic - I installed a variable resistor in place of R9, adjusting the resistor I could change the speech speed from very slow to very fast (which is fun to play around with) then adjusted somewhere inbetween at a point where the speech sounded normal, this is how you can get your speech how you want it to sound.

I have had two TMS5200 chips that sounded different to each other, trying both in the same board I found one definitely sounded noticeably slower than the other, so the TMS5200 chip itself can also be the cause, in this case, the variable resistor allows for speech speed adjustment on the slower chip.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Maybe the leg rot that happens on these chips gets up inside of the chip package and effects something or just they just always sounded different from day of production... not sure

That's an interesting point, I wonder if they degrade/change over time.

I bought 7 NOS TMS5200NL chips nearly 20 years ago & I tested them when I got them, all the same date codes, I think 3 or 4 out of the 7 appeared to be faulty with garbled speech, the rest were ok, I sent them back & they sent me replacements - I remember when I had 7 working chips they did all had the same pitch when tested in the same board.

None had any leg oxidization when I got them, but I noticed recently that most now have a bit. I decided to vac seal the 6 of these I still have in a tube to halt this - this may be a first!

Also, going back earlier to around 1997, before their were any sellers on the net for chips like this, I needed a TMS5200 & could not find one anywhere or even a used S&T board at that time, so I bought a TI99 speech synthesizer which are cheapish & utilize a TMS5200.

Interestingly when I pulled the unit apart it had a different part number for the chip - CD2501E. It is funtionally identical to the TMS5200, just a different number. Works perfectly. That chip has also oxidised. No NOS CD2501E chips can be found anywhere.

IMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0773 (resized).JPGIMG_0773 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-wrong-speech?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.