• Latest reply 6 years ago by aKa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flash Gordon MPU (2) (resized).JPG
Flash Gordon MPU (1) (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aKa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My Flash Gordon powers up but won't go into attract mode.

I get the seven flashes of the MPU led, but they will either loop, or the led will stay on after the seventh flash, or it won't. Sometimes some lights on the playfield and some solenoids will get stuck on.

Given this variety, the repair guide for those Ballys would suggest to me that it can be anything on the MPU board.

Where should I start (and how) ?

#3 6 years ago

I get 22 V.

Surprisingly, when I was about to test, the game managed to work for a minute before locking itself.

#5 6 years ago

The MPU is in good condition, as far as I can tell, and the game worked well for some time while in my possession.

Flash Gordon MPU (2) (resized).JPGFlash Gordon MPU (2) (resized).JPG
Flash Gordon MPU (1) (resized).JPGFlash Gordon MPU (1) (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

I get 5.5 V at that point.

As experienced earlier, the game will sometimes work for a minute before failing.

#9 6 years ago

The game has been working flawlessly since two days, despite the abuse I've been putting on the machine (such a hard game, I love it).
It makes the search for the source of my issue all the more difficult.

Werther or not the lower left part of the MPU has an issue or not, I should maybe just replace R11, R2 and Q5, and also the chip socket of U7 along with the chip itself. It would rule out those parts if the issue resurfaces.

The symptoms seem to point towards those elements, but would a failure of any of those allow for the machine to work great again, like right now ?

By the way, I don't seem to manage to have consistent readings when measuring the resistors (no issue with the chips or the TPs voltage reading). What am I doing wrong ?

1 week later
#10 6 years ago

I'm bumping this because the issue is back. The pinball will sometimes work for a minute before failing, or will simply fail to boot up.

The machine worked great for more than a week until I decided to fix a short circuit under the playfield (a year old problem that I put aside until now by just removing the F5 fuse and playing without the GI and the sound ). At least that thing is fixed now.

I didn't open the backbox, but of course I messed under the playfield and there's always little things (like screws) falling on the rectifier board, so I touched that as well.

Some guy PMed me the other day to tell me that he believed my issue was not MPU related, but he wanted 20 bucks to tell me more. I declined so I won't get any info from that classy gentleman. Would anyone have any idea of any non-MPU part of the machine that could cause the issue ?

#12 6 years ago

I haven't forgotten your advice barakandl, nor did I missed pinben's, and I thank you all for helping me.

I have a year and a half old daughter that exhausts me (but I love her), and she was away on holidays for a couple of weeks, allowing me to do some work on my machine, but now she's back. I'm also rather lazy ...

I'll eventually get all those repairs done, though I don't know when. I'm fishing for as much leads as possible in order to make a good and thorough work session when I find the time and courage do so.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 10.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 199.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aKa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-wont-boot-up-properly?tu=aKa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.