(Topic ID: 97100)

Flash Gordon weird switch behavior

By monsterbaldy

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

On my Flash Gordon, the two targets on the side right side of the playfield below the in line drop targets have some weird behavior.

If you just tap them, they seem to work normally. If I press one of them down gently but hold it there, not very long but more than just an instantaneous tap, it makes the ball launching sound like you had hit the ball back into the shooter lane, and I believe awards current bonus. I get the same effect if I just hit the shooter lane switch.

At first I thought the shooter lane switch must be adjusted too close and the vibrations are triggering it, but that is not the case, and I have performed the same test making sure that the shooter lane leaf switch was not closing.

What could possibly cause this?

#2 9 years ago

I would suspect a shorted capacitor on either of those switches.

#3 9 years ago

Is it one or both targets that do this? Do all other switches in the game work properly?

#4 9 years ago

Go into switch test and see if you're getting phantom switch closures--does the shooter lane switch show closed when you close one or both of the targets?

Get the switch matrix diagram out of the manual and look for a pattern. Are all the switches in the same column or row, etc. Also please use switch numbers for those of us less familiar with the game.

Have you done any work on the game prior to this problem arising?

#5 9 years ago

I believe it is just the top switch. The game was completely restored, but by a friend, so yes it has been mucked with quite a bit, however, he does good work, however that doesn't mean some minor mistake wasn't made.

I'll check the switch test next.

-ben

#6 9 years ago

Also try unplugging the coin door once a game is started, shorts in the coin door can affect switches, I had this happen with a Meteor where someone hacked the credit micros and wiring.

#7 9 years ago

The winner was a bad capacitor. For now I clipped it out and the problem is fixed.

What is the correct size cap to use on those switches? I should probably replace it.

-ben

#8 9 years ago

Factory is .047u, but .05 is easier to find.

Go ahead and replace them ALL. Trust me.

Quoted from monsterbaldy:

The winner was a bad capacitor. For now I clipped it out and the problem is fixed.
What is the correct size cap to use on those switches? I should probably replace it.
-ben

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 10.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-weird-switch-behavior and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.