(Topic ID: 330095)

Flash Gordon vs Fish Tales

By PantherCityPins

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211209_162747 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Another one of THOSE threads I know.

My current “keeper” collection is:

LOTR
    AFMR SE
    Stern JP Pro
    Taxi
    Whirlwind

Given that lineup would you go for a Flash Gordon or a Fish Tales? I don’t have a Fish Tales era game in the lineup but also don’t have an early Bally. The Fish Tales would be a bit more expensive, maybe $1000 more than the Flash Gordon.

I was considering a Flash Gordon due to the challenge of it and learning to play the Bally style machines. Fish Tales isn’t a theme I am super excited about but I’ve heard good things about the game.

Thoughts?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Fish Tales isn’t a theme I am super excited about but I’ve heard good things about the game.

Are you a fan or picking up people in a taxi? We all need to work together to stop theme whoring; themes don;t make games; Fish Tales is an all timer.
    Buuuuut Flash Gordon is even more of an all timer so for me it's the easy choice.

#3 1 year ago

Both great games but for the money, get both a Jungle Lord and a who dunnit.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you a fan or picking up people in a taxi? We all need to work together to stop theme whoring; themes don;t make games; Fish Tales is an all timer.
    Buuuuut Flash Gordon is even more of an all timer so for me it's the easy choice.

Hah! Great point. Taxi is a family favorite for us.

I was leaning towards Flash Gordon because I felt it would make me a better player but Fish Tales has me interested also.

#5 1 year ago

I was leaning towards Flash Gordon because I felt it would make me a better player but Fish Tales has me interested also.

FG is such as ass kicker for sure. If you have Lightening Flippers for FT it's no joke either; Both great.
    And you're missing both a Bally & WPC; tough call!

Ha you can skip that shit show.

#6 1 year ago

I was leaning towards Flash Gordon because I felt it would make me a better player but Fish Tales has me interested.

They are.. different.

If looking for something the family would enjoy I'd say go with Fish Tales.

Flash Gordon is a beautiful red head you take home and wake up in the morning with your kidneys missing.

FG is a hardcore players game, you don't play it causally.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

FG is a hardcore players game, you don't play it causally.

Exactly! That’s why it was on my radar. My son and I started playing competitively locally and my skills on the Bally/early Stern machines were just not there.

I kinda want a brutal pin that’s gonna spank me for making bad shots. Jurassic Park does that a bit and I’ve seen my skills improve because of it.

#8 1 year ago

FT is a better game but I have no interest in sitting on a riverbank/in a boat/on a freezing lake... wasting life trying to hook a fish. So in this rare occasion - theme beats gameplay. Flash Gordon.

#9 1 year ago

Agreed, I never had bad experiences playing Flash Gordon, the few times I played it I got huge scores, but that was back when I only had Classic 80s solid states to play. If you’re in that “zone” you can really play it, but most the time FG kneecaps you and takes your wallet.

Fish Tales is a great, fun game. It is ridiculously brutal. Love the sounds, the SDTM power drains are infuriating. If you’re gonna play in tournaments, in my experience tourneys lean towards WPC over Classic SS games.

#10 1 year ago

Flash Gordon will give you a different experience than adding FT to your collection -- if you crave "different eperiences," FG, if you want your games to "feel the same," FT.

#11 1 year ago

Flash Gordon is one of my all time favorites. I honestly miss owning one. Fish Tales does nothing for me, but I know some people love it.

#12 1 year ago

I kinda want a brutal pin that’s gonna spank me for making bad shots.

With those two pops front and center FG will rip you a new one for choosing poorly.

And I'm good with that.

20211209_162747 (resized).jpg20211209_162747 (resized).jpg
    #13 1 year ago

Another one of THOSE threads I know.
    My current “keeper” collection is:
    LOTR
    AFMR SE
    Stern JP Pro
    Taxi
    Whirlwind
    Given that lineup would you go for a Flash Gordon or a Fish Tales? I don’t have a Fish Tales era game in the lineup but also don’t have an early Bally. The Fish Tales would be a bit more expensive, maybe $1000 more than the Flash Gordon.
    I was considering a Flash Gordon due to the challenge of it and learning to play the Bally style machines. Fish Tales isn’t a theme I am super excited about but I’ve heard good things about the game.
    Thoughts?

I have room for 6 and have rotated every one of those through my basement, currently holding a LOTR and Whirlwind in my lineup. This is a really tough decision, but I have some pros and cons for you. You are looking for an, “asskicker game”. I put 3 games in this category, TNA, Fish Tales, and Flash Gordon. Firstly, if it is more than just you playing your games, if family or friends frequently play, Fish Tales 100%. It is much easier to explain to a casual the rules of Fish Tales than Flash Gordon.

Second, if you are looking at them more than you play them Flash Gordon is a real “looker”. The art is stunning on it, with bright and vibrant colors. Fish Tales is not ugly, but Flash Gordon is just “cool”. Another thing to consider is maintenance and care. Replacement parts for everything on Flash Gordon are available (excepting the backbox flash) but it WILL break more and need repair, even in a home environment than Fish Tales. You can get Altek boards (essentially modern electronics) to run Flash Gordon but stuff will break on it, and troubleshooting a game of that vintage is not as easy as a WPC pin. There are more Fish Tales on route than games of similar vintage and production value not only due to its relative low value (it’s a steal) but because the games are relaiable. The only real mech toy on it is a fishing reel, and the part that broke, the rubber connector, is reproduced.

I will say that if you tend to do leagues or tournaments, I’d go Flash Gordon as the “feel” on the way it flips is more different from you other pins than Fish Tales is, which flips similarly to AFMR SE. This one is a really tough decision. Looking through my history I kept Flash Gordon longer than Fish Tales, but you can’t go wrong with either game. Your games on Flash Gordon WILL be shorter than on any other pin in your collection, to include a potential Fish Tales. It’s nice to have 5 minutes to play and know that even in that 5 minutes you could get the grand champion score.

#14 1 year ago

Exactly! That’s why it was on my radar. My son and I started playing competitively locally and my skills on the Bally/early Stern machines were just not there.
    I kinda want a brutal pin that’s gonna spank me for making bad shots. Jurassic Park does that a bit and I’ve seen my skills improve because of it.

Now that I see this... Flash Gordon!

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Replacement parts for everything on Flash Gordon are available (excepting the backbox flash) but it WILL break more and need repair, even in a home environment than Fish Tales. You can get Altek boards (essentially modern electronics) to run Flash Gordon but stuff will break on it, and troubleshooting a game of that vintage is not as easy as a WPC pin.

If the proper work has been done to Flash Gordon, it is dead nuts reliable. There were after all designed to be on route collecting the bucks!

My Supersonic has been at work now for over 2 years, on 12 hours a day without fail. SDB has new caps and ground mods, MPU has been repaired (battery damage) and has NVRAM and the lamp board has been modified with resistors for LED operation. It still even has the original bridge board!

#16 1 year ago

Yeah, I think I’m leaning towards Flash. I think that game would be a good anchor to my collection and I’m at the point where I’m trying to get a good cross section of modern pinball represented. I think an early Bally or Stern game is needed.

While I would love to get an original WPC game, I do have AFMR and while I know that’s a remake, it does represent the era.

God help me if I ever have to choose between my Whirlwind and Taxi. I think Whirlwind would win out in the end but there would be tears shed for sure.

At that point I’d rather just build a bigger game room.

#17 1 year ago

Yeah, I think I’m leaning towards Flash. I think that game would be a good anchor to my collection and I’m at the point where I’m trying to get a good cross section of modern pinball represented. I think an early Bally or Stern game is needed.

A well setup Meteor is a good choice, its different from FG as the only way I can think to describe it is the ball is always coming out you for some direction. Very fast paced game and you can get some sweep action going time to time on the drops. They are still available for reasonable money too.

FG is a better game than Meteor though and as I said it's different. I can roll my Meteor on a good day while FG will extend the middle digit.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

A well setup Meteor is a good choice, its different from FG as the only way I can think to describe it is the ball is always coming out you for some direction. Very fast paced game and you can get some sweep action going time to time on the drops. They are still available for reasonable money too.
    FG is a better game than Meteor though and as I said it's different. I can roll my Meteor on a good day while FG will extend the middle digit.

I actually have a Meteor project in storage. Was planning to restore but have decided to pass it on to a buddy who want a a good restoration project. That’s why I am now on the hunt for a Flash Gordon.

#19 1 year ago

If you're looking for brutal games that will kick your ass, can I throw you a curveball? Consider a Bram Stokers Dracula instead of a Fish Tales.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

If you're looking for brutal games that will kick your ass, can I throw you a curveball? Consider a Bram Stokers Dracula instead of a Fish Tales.

See I have a different opinion there, I played a very nice unit at Pintastic last year and on the third game I railed on it for a 1/2 hour.

#21 1 year ago

Looks like I am almost to the point of closing the deal for the Flash Gordon with the seller. Thanks for the great input all!

#22 1 year ago

Both are great games for different reason.

FG has come and gone, FT is a fun game most enjoy and still in lineup

Is game strictly for your challenge or for everyone to enjoy?

#23 1 year ago

Both games get heavy play from me whenever I see them.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Both are great games for different reason.
    FG has come and gone, FT is a fun game most enjoy and still in lineup
    Is game strictly for your challenge or for everyone to enjoy?

My son and I are the only ones that play consistently so it's really more for my own play and training.

I may get it and decide it is too much of a butt kicker in a year, who knows.

#25 1 year ago

I would buy both Flash Gordon and Fish Tales and sell Taxi first or Whirlwind Second.
    I personally choose the most difficult or challenging games because they make you a better player.

#26 1 year ago

All our guests always gravitate to the humor and playability of our FT.
    Actually have a few who ask on occasion "Is that for sale yet?"
    The value has increased well over time, I consider it a classic. I don't know if FG is that long-in-the-tooth.
    Judging by your lineup with a Taxi and a WW, I'd go long with FT as another Williams classic.
    Just my 2 cents, good luck in your decision!

#27 1 year ago

Flash Gordon, just watched the movie again the other night. Classic. And get that new sound mod for it that plays the soundtrack.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Flash Gordon, just watched the movie again the other night. Classic. And get that new sound mod for it that plays the soundtrack.

What new sound mod are you talking about?
    I’m interested!

#29 1 year ago

You guys remember the Flash Gordon movie with that suspended spiked platform they fight on? Weird

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-vs-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.